Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By noidle22

Thread: EM7000-fix or upgrade? Heater stuck on, Hot water spout pours when pulling a shot

Question EM7000-fix or upgrade? Heater stuck on, Hot water spout pours when pulling a shot

Afternoon,
    I have an em7000 currently experiencing multiple faults. EspressoDoctor have suggested _up to_ $500 to repair, less if it's a blockage, but definitely pcb replacement (so at least $300). I've had a few similar faults with the em7000 and a bit of google-fu reveals they don't appear to be uncommon.
    They do have a refurb ecm giotto in stock for $1250, I'm curious if anyone has any advice/experience - fix or upgrade? or if anyone has an option C i haven't thought of?
    I do want to act pretty quickly - coffee is life.

Had the same issue one year ago with a three year old Breville Bes870, estimated cost to repair $300. Liked the machine but don't believe in putting good money after bad. I was not confident I could self repair. Seriously considered a Lelit Combi but put off by having to allow 20 minutes to warm up, three times a day. Dearer but would probably last longer. After a couple of days without a working machine I went and got the same again, but with five years extended warranty and was available locally that day and I did not have to send away yearly for servicing . Still happy with that decision, so far. Sold the old machine as is for $100.

The PCB can be component level repaired for much cheaper but most repair shops don't seem to do that.
    Hot water solenoid will also need to be replaced.

A DIY repair could be done for under $100 however paying a repair shop to do the job is what costs the money.

You need to expect somewhat continuous repairs on an appliance grade machine. If you feel like you want a better overall coffee experience, stepping up to the Giotto would be a good move and for that price it isn't bad at all.
    inorog and zeezaw like this.

I would suggest, regardless of the appliance, that a $500 (or, even as you suggest the best case of $300) on a $650 machine is an ill-considered investment. Unless you have some strong emotional attachment to it, I'd be looking at sayonara, baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawshack View Post
    I would suggest, regardless of the appliance, that a $500 (or, even as you suggest the best case of $300) on a $650 machine is an ill-considered investment. Unless you have some strong emotional attachment to it, I'd be looking at sayonara, baby.
    Pretty much where my head is at. Even if i repair it myself, it'll be over $200 in parts. As one of the other repliers suggested, I could get the board relays replaced to save a bit more, but I am really hesitant to spend a cent on it.
    I was talking to one of the baristas at my local cafe (daily costs are already on the incline being machine-less at home) - who said skip the ECM and go for an IsoMac - so it's pretty clear more research is required - and I absolutely shouldn't rush this one as I want a machine to last me a long time.

Good, used, EM7000's can be had for $200 on classifieds sites so keep that in mind too.