Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: ECM Giotto Premium - Diagram of machine

ECM Giotto Premium - Diagram of machine

Hi all,
    I am the proud new owner of the ECM Giotto Premium. I am wanting to know if anyone has a schematic or diagram of the internal components?

I have found useful tips on the following links but no diagrams.

http://www.giotto.com.au/giotto_usertips_a1.htm
    http://www.giotto.com.au/giotto_cleaning_a1.htm

And plenty of exploded diagrams on http://www.coffeeparts.com/ but nothing specific for the Giotto.

Can anyone assist?

Thanks

Re: ECM Giotto Premium - Diagram of machine

Coffeehead

<I am wanting to know if anyone has a schematic or diagram of the internal components? >
    I would be interested also. *I am the sort of person that likes to know what is under the bling. *It sort of helps me understand what I am doing and what Giotto is doing in spite of me.
    I have also found nothing anywhere.

dumiya
    Super proud ECM Giotto Rocket owner
    (Making better coffee each day)

A little note for anyone looking to buy a HX machine; something not generally mentioned in any of the reviews is the start up time of these machines...

The Giotto takes 8-10mins to heat up and become functional from a cold start.

I hope this info is handy for noobs like myself, as I got caught out this morning on the Giottos real first use (coming from a thermoblock system - ready in 2 mins).

Although not a really BIG deal, as the espresso out of the machine will more than make up for this, but it might help a prospective purchaser make that split hair decission between machines.

Its not like you can go away make a coffee and come back... * :)

TC

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeHead link=1210165793/0#2 date=1210197850
    A little note for anyone looking to buy a HX machine; something not generally mentioned in any of the reviews is the start up time of these machines...

I hope this info is handy for noobs like myself, as I got caught out this morning on the Giottos real first use (coming from a thermoblock system - ready in 2 mins).

Although not a really BIG deal, as the espresso out of the machine will more than make up for this, but it might help a prospective purchaser make that split hair decission between machines.

Its not like you can go away make a coffee and come back... * :)
    Yes,

That applies to all HX/dual boiler, but Id be giving it 30 minutes minimum to get the group up to temperature...Its the same concept as your car- Just because the water is warm, that doesnt mean that the oil is ;)

Cheers

Chris

Yeah my Minore BOILER gets up to temp in about 6 mins.... thats about the only thing that is up to temp though. I always give mine a minimum of 25 mins, 45 if I can, so that EVERYTHING is up to temp, and all that sourness can stay where it belongs.

Great discussions ....
    Great information.....
    Great machine....
    Wonderful suppliers....
    But back to the topic.....!

Are there any schematic diagrams or exploded parts diagrams of the Giotto Rocket (Premium) or any technical information anywhere?

There is a deadly silence....!

dumiya

Hi dumiya

You might try a google search? I did, and came across this as an example...

http://www.mrcappuccino.com/enduser/erancilioparts/giottoparts.htm

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1210165793/0#3 date=1210198215
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeHead link=1210165793/0#2 date=1210197850

Yes,

That applies to all HX/dual boiler, but Id be giving it 30 minutes minimum to get the group up to temperature...Its the same concept as your car- Just because the water is warm, that doesnt mean that the oil is ;)

Cheers

Chris

Sorry to continue off topic - but does anyone know how this compares to the Vibiemme Domobar Super Lever? Ive heard that it needs more like 45-50mins to get everything up to temperature. If the Giotto is quicker that would be good info to know.

TC

The VBM actually reaches full pressure quicker that the Giotto.

Nevertheless, Id still be giving it 30 min ;-)

2mcm

I always allow at least 30min - you want the cups to be warm too :)

Good excuse to buy a timer switch for the mornings ;)

Ron

My Expobar is on a timer and is on for almost an hour before I need to pour my first shot of the day.

It stays on for my wife to make her morning tea then turns off.

Id rather do this than have it be a few minutes shy of properly up to temp.

TC

I have an old ECM parts manual with exploded diagrams of the Giotto.

Ill scan them and create a downloadable .pdf file of them for those who want one...

Might take me a little while but it will be done....

Stay tuned ;-)

If you want to warm your HX machine up faster, once the boiler is up too full pressure pull some blank shots. This will speed the heat-up time of the grouphead.

Java "Shortcuts R Us" phile

TC

Pages 1-3

TC

pages 4-6

Cheers Chris, that is good to have. Even if not needed right away. Thanks, Tim.

Thank you Chris

I feel happy that I dont have to fiddle to find out what is inside. *The diagrams are good. *Thank you.

I am producing the most superb coffee now, *I mean really superb.

The Giotto is amazing. * Thank you

I now have to work out what to do with Silvia!

dumiya
    (david)

I have just had my Giotto returned from ECM after a service. I pulled the shower screen out this morning to inspect the new rubber seal which holds the shower screen in the Group Head and there was another cardboard / paper gasket on the rubber seal. Stupidly i dropped the shower screen and the paper gasket came away and I do not recall which side of the rubber seal this should be applied to.

Firstly, is this normal to have a paper gasket as well as the rubber seal?
    Secondly, which way should the paper gasket be oriented - paper seal ontop of the rubber seal or other way arouond so the paper seal is in contact with the Portafiler handle?

Many thanks in advance.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by Woolly Bugger link=1210165793/15#17 date=1210711710
    I have just had my Giotto returned from ECM after a service. I pulled the shower screen out this morning to inspect the new rubber seal which holds the shower screen in the Group Head and there was another cardboard / paper gasket on the rubber seal. Stupidly i dropped the shower screen and the paper gasket came away and I do not recall which side of the rubber seal this should be applied to.

Firstly, is this normal to have a paper gasket as well as the rubber seal?
    Secondly, which way should the paper gasket be oriented - paper seal ontop of the rubber seal or other way arouond so the paper seal is in contact with the Portafiler handle?

Many thanks in advance.
    The gasket is a spacer used under a standard gasket if the group is showing wear. Essentially, orientation of the gasket doesnt matter, but you will see ECM branding on the underside if its a genuine ECM gasket...

Chris
    degaulle likes this.

Thx Chris, although I am a little confused. The rubber gasket / seal has the ECM stamped onto it and I believe this should be facing up. The paper / cardboard spacer does not have any branding and my question is should this be above the rubber gasket or below and in contact with the portafiller / basket.

Wayne

TC

Hi Wayne,

It goes above the group seal- but only if required. It is required if the group handle is going way too far to the right when loaded into the machine...

regards

Chris

Chris

Thank you yet again.
    I slipped group filter and seal off the group to clean it and found the paper gasket. *A spacer - It makes sense for a finer adjustment. *I am glad I know. *It is a great system as the pf basket locks onto the rubber gasket that in turn locks onto the group filter. *All straight sides, no hidden ledges and all seals quite nicely. *

Dumiya
    degaulle likes this.

I have a proper copy of parts manual that includes exploded pictures and part numbers. Unfortunately it is too big to attach here as it is > 1MB file size limit.

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1210165793/15#20 date=1210740698
    Hi Wayne,

It goes above the group seal- but only if required. It is required if the group handle is going way too far to the right when loaded into the machine...

regards

Chris

Does any one know where to obtain these paper gaskets in Melbourne, as my Giotto group handle goes about 15 degrees too far to the right.

Regards

Peter

TC

Quote Originally Posted by dpjordan link=1210165793/15#24 date=1211167077
    Does any one know where to obtain these paper gaskets in Melbourne, as my Giotto group handle goes about 15 degrees too far to the right.

Regards

Peter
    Hi Peter- I have the group seal, shower screen and gasket in stock.

Another alternative is to simply purchase an 8.5mm group seal from Pedro at coffeeparts http://www.coffeeparts.com/faema/fae10.html

regards

Chris

Chris,
    thanks for the prompt response. I gather from the link that you provided that parts in the E61 group head area are interchangeable between the Faema E61 & Giotto. Please confirm.

Peter

Gozz

"Does any one know where to obtain these paper gaskets in Melbourne, as my Giotto group handle goes about 15 degrees too far to the right."

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter.
    There is a much better arrangement than the paper gaskets. Paul at Expobar ( of Minore fame ) supplies rubber gaskets that dont collapse like the paper ones do.
    Much better. Weve been using them in our commercial equipment all over the state, and they are great.
    Gozz.

Hi all,
    I am the proud new owner of the ECM Giotto Premium. I am wanting to know if anyone has a schematic or diagram of the internal components?

Hi with regards to the question of diagrams they should be found at the www.espressocompany.com.au in diagrams. But i have just checked and the page is under construction. I will ring them in the morning and find out if they have link, as im sure i have seen one.

Espresso Breakdown

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 7D4B484A5D4B4B57677A4A5D59535C574F56380 link=1210165793/28#28 date=1237361546
    Hi all,

Hi with regards to the question of diagrams they should be found at the www.espressocompany.com.au in diagrams. But i have just checked and the page is under construction. I will ring them in the morning and find out if they have link, as im sure i have seen one.

Espresso Breakdown

Try http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1210165793/13#13 and http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1210165793/14#14

regards

2mcm

Quote Originally Posted by 366971676C676B6262616169656A040 link=1210165793/13#13 date=1210402323
    Pages 1-3
    Hey thanks for the Giotto diagrams. *V generous. *This is my first post. *I just bought a Giotto second hand. ...looking forward to making my own contributions/coffee

Hey Guys,
    Whats the standard of these Machines compared to the vibiemme and La scala?? Is it true they are made in New Zealand now??

Quote Originally Posted by 1E3D2E2E3D3F375C0 link=1210165793/31#31 date=1258350308
    Whats the standard of these Machines compared to the vibiemme and La scala??
    Every shipment just keeps getting better. Pretty much fully commercial componentry and performance wise, on par with the Vibiemme. It will come down to what looks and feels right for you.

Quote Originally Posted by 1E3D2E2E3D3F375C0 link=1210165793/31#31 date=1258350308
    Is it true they are made in New Zealand now??
    No, theyre built in Milan.

Quote Originally Posted by 1F3C2F2F3C3E365D0 link=1210165793/31#31 date=1258350308
    Hey Guys,
    Whats the standard of these Machines compared to the vibiemme and La scala?? Is it true they are made in New Zealand now??

I just bought one and preferred the look over the VBM. It was incredibly well packaged and came with a single and double group handle, a blind filter, a grouphead brush and a really good instruction manual.

Made in Milan

couldnt be happier

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 71797D687F70797D6A796E0D0C0D3C0 link=1210165793/34#34 date=1270167510
    Tell me Why would anyone buy a machine that has no boiler protection? If you live in an area that has bad water Eg. Adelaide,melbourne and most rural areas you pretty much only get a very limited life on your machine ! unless you go out and buy a pricey Scale inhiberting water filter system that you have to (A) "Remember" to change regularly or (B) get the installers to remind you and then charge extra to replace it for you !

Yes the Giotto has changed its design with a much better pressure stat siri switch but it is Still a bottom feeder and for the money youd be better off buying one of the better made machines like the Expobar,BFC Junior or a VBM
    And you are basing all of that on? *:-?

If you think that a scale inhibiting filter of some sort is a deal breaker, sorry mate, but you have some learning to do about machines...

Given that this is your first post, how about declaring your hand?

For mine, absolute bollocks....and I have my diplomacy hat on.

Check out the full moon guys ::)

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by 60686C796E61686C7B687F1C1D1C2D0 link=1210165793/35#35 date=1270169441
    Firstly thank you for your reply ... good discussions are the pivital part of growth in education.

So lets continue ! Ive opened up more of these machine than I care to mention ! having said that .. I am not saying that they produce a bad product ! But I am stating they have a fatal design fault !

Basiclly if you are going to spend your good hard earnt money at a scale of $2500 + that you would not want your machine not to clog up with scale ... emagine that frustation *:( *.. ! When at the same price point you can get the same quality in the cup but with at least some form of protection and higher quality build AND *Still get a great tasting product !

DISCLAIMER ----(this depends purely on skill level of the coffee maker and product used incorpiated with a decent coffee making equipment) ;D
    been nice knowing ya, nice avatar too >:(

TC

Worry not WSully....

The mods are on to him and Ill delete em quicker than he can type em.

Gotta lurve a 1 post eggspurt who thinks an in-line softener will solve the problems of the world...

Might have seen the inside of a machine, now needs to learn something and then enrol in manners #101 ::)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 0A0E283131342B3C335D0 link=1210165793/35#35 date=1270169835
    been nice knowing ya, nice avatar too
    WHAT.. I missed it :o

Quote Originally Posted by 6F30283E353E323B3B3838303C335D0 link=1210165793/36#36 date=1270170105
    Gotta lurve a 1 post eggspurt who thinks an in-line softener will solve the problems of the world...
    Pftttt A start but the the ends to the problem..

Quote Originally Posted by 6F30283E353E323B3B3838303C335D0 link=1210165793/36#36 date=1270170105
    Might have seen the inside of a machine, now needs to learn something and then enrol in manners #101
    What.. Where can I get that "Manners for dummies 101" - I could pass it on... After I have read it of course :D

PS. Thanks for the diags..

A nice set of Giotto parts diagrams is here:

http://www.espressocompany.com.au/spare-parts/ROCKET-CATALOGUE-13.03.09.pdf

Eric S.
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: ECM Giotto Premium - Wiring Diagram

Hi Folks, could you also please post a wiring diagram/schematic, preferably in English.

I have googled, but not found anything.

The reason I want this is that I am planning to network my Giotto (using an Arduino) so I can do things like turn it on and off remotely, via my server/phone system/web page etc, log usage data & temps, alert on water level, and more etc. Yeah I know sad, but I am a nerd who like coffee :)

The basic stuff for the arduino is done, and I can turn a relay on and off via my home phone system (Elasix/Asterisk) or a web page/command...just need to integrate the other sensors and put it in the machine. Got to love the Arduino.

At the moment I specifically need to know the ratings on the main switch as Ill be replacing this with a solid state relay (an push button)....I assume its 240v, but do not know the amp rating.

All help appreciated. Will post some pics etc. once I get it installed.

Cheers.

A_M

Re: ECM Giotto Premium - Wiring Diagram

Quote Originally Posted by 262B3E3E2F26253C2F384A0 link=1210165793/38#38 date=1293934465
    Hi Folks, could you also please post a wiring diagram/schematic, preferably in English.

I have googled, but not found anything.

The reason I want this is that I am planning to network my Giotto (using an Arduino) so I can do things like turn it on and off remotely, via my server/phone system/web page etc, log usage data & temps, alert on water level, and more etc. Yeah I know sad, but I am a nerd who like coffee :)

The basic stuff for the arduino is done, and I can turn a relay on and off via my home phone system (Elasix/Asterisk) or a web page/command...just need to integrate the other sensors and put it in the machine. *Got to love the Arduino.

At the moment I specifically need to know the ratings on the main switch as Ill be replacing this with a solid state relay (an push button)....I assume its 240v, but do not know the amp rating.

All help appreciated. *Will post some pics etc. once I get it installed.

Cheers.
    Stay safe and go for 10A

Quote Originally Posted by 2825303021282B322136440 link=1210165793/38#38 date=1293934465
    Id leave the Main Switch where it is (required by Law). Just connect the SSR unit(s) in Series Downstream.

When you get to the stage where youre prepared to remotely operate the machine, just turn the Main Switch on and youre ready to go. Given that the Main Switch on most of these machines are Double Pole types (switch the Active and Neutral) you should probably use a double pole SSR as well but it wouldnt be mandatory.

Also, if you are going to use an SSR with safety factor of roughly 100% then the SSR will have to be properly heatsinked to ensure the internal switching device(s) dont overheat. If you use a higher rated SSR, say 25Amp, then this is less likely to be an issue and considering the price difference between the two would be minimal, I know which way Id go.

All the best with your project LL.... ;)

Mal.

Thanks for the replies Mal and Angers.

I am not a sparkie, but hey, many on here have modified machines at some stage (fitting PIDs etc) so not sure why you are saying "(required by Law)"....I would have thought anything I do inside the machine which involves messing about with 240v is going to violate some law...no? ::)

The reason I wanted to see the schematic is that I suspect that the switch does not infact carry much current and infact simply triggers a relay in the control box...if so, its not going to heat up and will not need even a 10A SSR.

So, does anyone have a wiring diagram?

Oh, after a bit more googling I found I was not the first to try this...This guy is using X10 ...so I guess my Arduino solution will be a bit more sophisticated :)

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/265294

Looks really simple and great use of an X10 module (you can get them here for about $70AUD...http://www.futuretouch.com.au/ProductsInfo.asp?ProductCode=AW12

But I want more funtionality, temp. etc...so Ill stick with the arduino.

The reason I wanted to replace the switch was that I was going to have it so I coule turn it on at the coffee machine or via the arduino interface...but after looking at the above, I might just have the switch as a toggle...so it will simply send a message to the arduino to change the state...that way I can keep the original look. Youll then need to look at the green light to see that its on or off.

Sweet.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 262B3E3E2F26253C2F384A0 link=1210165793/41#41 date=1294041087
    Thanks for the replies Mal and Angers.

I am not a sparkie, but hey, many on here have modified machines at some stage (fitting PIDs etc) so not sure why you are saying "(required by Law)"....I would have thought anything I do inside the machine which involves messing about with 240v is going to violate some law...no?
    If ya play with any part that involves 240V it must be done / certified by a LICENSED sparkie.

Regardless of what you do inside, even if turned off, at some stage your attempting to connect to a public grid.

So yes your breaching teh Manufactures attempt at safety if you changes switches ect and or MODIFY any of teh wiring etc or attach additional probes etc Your also going to breach any number of State and National regulations of which some will be covered by a LAW.

In addition if ya house ever suffers a fire etc and it even looks like the coffee machine then you have invalidated you House Insurance. If you cause some one an electronic shock or kill some one... YOUR done and dusted and NOT covered by any Public liability.

Just because others drink and drive (home installed PID by unlicensed person) and have not copped an RBT. Does that mean every one can and should ?

You will also find that there are other regulations about the level of ISOLATION and protection you will need to ensure is in place...

Not like teh fool up teh road lass year. Hobby kit and switching things on and off via his PC - Going all green and power saving ??? Short / fault developed in a boggy module and his wired network went 240V live. Not sure what transpired but I do know Police /Fire and the Electricity commission were involved as well as the local Telco... Something to do with 240V and the lines back to teh switch - Lets say a few were not happy and it was a lines person that first got hit at the switch!

If ya not qualified and do not understand the laws and regulations do not play.

Thanks for the lesson Angers. Ill take it onboard.

Now, is anyone going to post that wiring diagram?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 424F5A5A4B4241584B5C2E0 link=1210165793/43#43 date=1294100788
    Thanks for the lesson Angers. Ill take it onboard.

Now, is anyone going to post that wiring diagram?
    Ever thought of looking up ll? :-?

The link is already there ^^^^^^^^^ ::)

Forgive me, but can you pls. be more specific? I see links to the parts, but not to an English language wiring diagram.

I have looked, but I must be going blind.

I know this is coffeesnobs, but hopefully you can help a bloke out and post the direct link.

Quote Originally Posted by 6572696373000 link=1210165793/37#37 date=1282487080
    A nice set of Giotto parts diagrams is here:

http://www.espressocompany.com.au/spare-parts/ROCKET-CATALOGUE-13.03.09.pdf

Eric S.
    Silver Spring, MD
    last two pages on this pdf link show two sets of wire diagrams

Quote Originally Posted by 6964717160696A736077050 link=1210165793/45#45 date=1294124218
    Forgive me, but can you pls. be more specific? I see links to the parts, but not to an English language wiring diagram.

I have looked, but I must be going blind.

I know this is coffeesnobs, but hopefully you can help a bloke out and post the direct link.
    Thanks mate. Appreciate the helpful help. :D

Hey Lattelover,

How did you go with your Giotto mods? You certainly got some both good and crazy info on this thread.

In short;
    1. The Giotto has a 1300W element. Given P=EI, then then the operating current at 240VAC = 5.4 Amps. A 10Amp SSR is more than sufficient.
    2. You do NOT need to break both Active and Neutral. Whilst I understand these are made for a global market. Italian wiring practises for the Australian market often leave me baffled. Breaking a neutral OUTSIDE of that box in Australia - with the exception of caravan wiring - is actually illegal.
    3. You do not need to be a licensed electrician to work on the INSIDE of your own machine.
    4. There is absolutely zero chance of sending 240VAC to the Telephone Exchange - unless your Giotto happens to be plugged in to the PSTN

Let me know if you need any further info.

Regards,

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by 584F4A47484459452B0 link=1210165793/48#48 date=1307784939
    Hey Lattelover,

How did you go with your Giotto mods? You certainly got some both good and crazy info on this thread.

Regards,

Sean
    Thanks for the reply Sean...I made some progress then have been flat out like a lizard and then went o/s for a few months - so its all still on my desk and not ready to go into the machine :)

Coincidently, I have picked this up in the last week and its been progressing well.

So far...

I have hooked in the SSD (40A)...so I think Ill be ok there :) Drives right off the arduino pin.
    LCD shield is on the arduino (but yet to fully integrate)....might have a challenge with # of pins used.
    Ordered Erics thermocouple and adapter...should be fun!
    Started on the capacitive water level sensor
    Streamlined the code and set up a simple java/php page to display toggle switches and display status
    Integrated alerts into my iPad via Growl (ie. water low)
    Integrated into MySQL database to store pour times, pour temp., alerts, on/off events, etc
    Tweaked the web page to return status of the machine etc.

Still to do...
    well, get it into final state and install it...
    Charting of temps etc.
    Pour light (led) to see the lovely crema)...and perhaps one for the steam wand....
    Finalise web page and reporting
    Update my Nagios server to monitor the Ardunio/coffee machine.
    server side script to turn on and off at set times.

Ahhh...so many plans and so little time to do them all!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast