coffeesnobs BeanBay
Roasted Coffee | Green Coffee | Tea Tisanes | Cocoa Chai | Snob Wear | Behmor Roaster | & Other Stuff

Thread: BFC Espresso Machine?

BFC Espresso Machine?

Cafelat Coffee Tamper and Accessories
    Hello all (newbie here),

Im looking for a machine in the $1000-$2000 range, better than the Rancillo Silvia. Actually, Id prefer to pay in the $1000-$1500range, so I can buy a decent grinder as well (never knew how important they were till I read some posts in here).

I came across BFC espresso machines, which seem to start around $1500 (correct me if Im wrong). I havent seen many posts on them (and perhaps Im using the search facility wrong).

Does anyone have any comments on them, or any recommendations in my price range?

Ill probably only use it once per day, unless guests are over. They arent usually more than 4...I read that the Silvia would do for 4, but quite honestly I find the limitation irritating. I would also like something that wont produce just warm lattes, like my current machine.

Another question - is the ahh...the brown yummy stuff that floats on top of the coffee (told you I was a newbie), determined more by the machine, or the grinder? Or both?

Re: BFC Espresso Machine?

Hello vikkor and welcome,

BFC machines are sold in Australia under Diadema brand. Attilio of CosmoreX coffee is the importer and other site sponsors Jetblack and Talk Coffee also sell Diadema.

Entry level is the single boiler Diadema Perfetta which has a RRP of $1790.

Hope that helps ;)

2mcm

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 302F2D293434460 link=1248041000/0#0 date=1248041000
    Hello all (newbie here),

Im looking for a machine in the $1000-$2000 range, better than the Rancillo Silvia. Actually, Id prefer to pay in the $1000-$1500range, so I can buy a decent grinder as well (never knew how important they were till I read some posts in here).

I came across BFC espresso machines, which seem to start around $1500 (correct me if Im wrong). I havent seen many posts on them (and perhaps Im using the search facility wrong).

Does anyone have any comments on them, or any recommendations in my price range?

Ill probably only use it once per day, unless guests are over. They arent usually more than 4...I read that the Silvia would do for 4, but quite honestly I find the limitation irritating. I would also like something that wont produce just warm lattes, like my current machine.

Another question - is the ahh...the brown yummy stuff that floats on top of the coffee (told you I was a newbie), determined more by the machine, or the grinder? Or both?
    I have a BFC Junior Automatic (aka La Valentina, Diadema, Vittoria) and have to say I am impressed with the unit and the sponsor..

AT the price your stating... Either on special or a pre loved unit...

As to your Question... determined more by the machine, or the grinder? Or both

In order of importance..

1: FRESH BEANS.
    2: Grinder
    3: Tamp and Dose
    4: Machine

However the user also has a major impact at all stages.

Senior Member DesigningByCoffee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 3C23212538384A0 link=1248041000/0#0 date=1248041000
    Hi Vikorr
    I have the Diadema Reale (Regal) which is a BFC machine - and its absolutely beautiful, in appearance, build quality, and results. With fresh beans, a good grind (from the Macap) and consistent dosing and tamping (just as AM posted) the crema pours like a guiness and then settles into 5-8 mm of sweet, smooth bliss!
    In the end, you pay more for the temp stabilty of the machine for the espresso extraction, without having to purge to get rid of the steam etc (like my old breville, which used to huff and puff like the Hogwarts Express!).
    Im now drinking mainly espresso, but most machines from the $1500 up should handle steam pretty well - its just that HX machines can steam straight after (or during!) the pour, while the smaller boiler machines will need to recover after the pour to recharge heat for the steam. Small issue for 2-4 cups - bigger for more!
    Whichever way you go - its all great fun!

DBC

Thanks for the reply everyone - its all very helpful

having said that, you could actually steam first. Ive found I can often taste the difference if steaming at the same time as brewing.

The machine I use at work the Synchro (Venezianos supplied machine) is built by BFC and as far as HXs go it is a real work horse. Oodles of steam very temp stable. I dont have experience with their domestic line but by all reports it seems they have a similar reputation.

Just an update...after thinking about what I wanted a bit more, in terms of how much coffee I wanted to be able to make (ie. what limitations I was prepared to accept in the number of cups I could make), and reading about how different coffees have different ideal brew temperatures, I went and spent a bit more money than I expected and got a Expobar Minore 3, and coupled it with an ascasa grinder.

Im definitely happy I have a dual boiler machine (that would always have been my preferred option, if they didnt cost so much)

The difference in brew quality over my old Breville BES400 is immense (theres a LOT more crema, and the coffee actually tastes like real coffee)...though I realise that I still have a long way to go in fine tuning it (even the grinder settings still needs adjustment atm)

But I have to say, at the moment, Im really sucking at frothing the milk (its still coming out like soapy water from the Expobar, whereas I made microfoam fine on the old breville). I did expect that I would have to relearn how to froth the milk (though I didnt expect that Id ever get soapy milk), and Ive only gone through about 6 litres of milk trying to get past the soapy stuff...my last turn I finally heard the ch...ch..ch.. sound (so I have some hope)