Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Ponte Vecchio Lusso Club Spring Lever espresso machine

Re: Ponte Vecchio Lusso Club Spring Lever espresso machine

It is the seals- it seems PV had a batch of seals that were ever so slightly too small. They have sent me out replacements which I hope to have this coming week some time. There is a fix you could do in the meantime but I cant guarantee a 100% solution. You can remove the piston and place a foot or so of white teflon plumbers tape in the groove the seals sit in. This bulks them out enough to make them seal again. But if you can I would wait for the new seals to arrive.

When this happens a tiny amount of water can get drawn back into the boiler.

When I get the seals I will replace the ones in my machine and post some photos here showing how I do it. It is tricky the first time- but once you have done it a few times it gets quite fast and easy.

Thanks Jack. Im being patient, and to be honest I havent used the right group since the last slip. The left drips but it usable. I was doing a few coffees and thought I would give it a go and it slipped badly. :(

I will just have to be extra patient until the seals arrive. Dont see the point in opening it all up just for a quick fix and Ill probably need your how to guide to do it anyway. :)

Im getting a really nice coffee out of it now. I think a clean of my grinder helped, and a change of coffee. Using Kates special blend from Pioneer. Very nice.

Ash

Lots of photos would be a great resource Jack. Especially seeing as its something most owners will have to do at some stage anyway.

Lacehim, I also had a revelation after I cleaned my grinder. Amazing what it did for the PNG Wahgi AA that Im drinking at the moment. So much more body came out, I was pleasantly surprised. I should get up to Pioneer again. They have some wonderful coffee up there.

Quote Originally Posted by 4A78630B0 link=1265525881/102#102 date=1300079228
    Lots of photos would be a great resource Jack. Especially seeing as its something most owners will have to do at some stage anyway.
    I will be taking many photos, manly so I can put it back together again the same way, when I do mine. Im happy to post them up for everyone to see.

Bought a 150mm G clamp, hope that will be okay size wise. Ive read a few tips like heating the seals before putting them on.

Quote Originally Posted by 4A78630B0 link=1265525881/102#102 date=1300079228
    I should get up to Pioneer again.
    Ash, if your up this way PM me. Would love to have a coffee at Pioneer and chat to you about your PVL experience.

A few observations, Lacehim.

1) Have you kept an eye on your boiler pressure gauge ?
    * My PV pressure slowly crept up as the machine settled in, with the result the lever started to "slip" on occasion. This happened more with the left lever than the right.

2) Some PVs come from the factory with the pressure showing 1.5 bars on the gauge. Many users have reported much better results with the pressurestat altered to 1.2 to a max of 1.3 bar.

In fact, I believe Vanellis in the US have taken to checking their PVs and adjusting down to 1.2 bar when necessary before delivery.

Some US users are even claiming to obtain better taste results as low as .9bar pressure.

My PV slowly crept up to 1.5 bars over the 8 months Ive had it, with a noticeable increase in lever slippage.

Ive recently re adjusted the pressurestat back to just on 1.3 bar with a noticeable "in the cup" improvement and also completely eliminated any lever slip.

Hi littleroundman,

Thanks for the help.

My PVL came from Jack at Sorrentina Coffee and was preset at 1.1-1.2bar, and it has stayed the same. Jack seems is pretty sure my issues stem from a bad batch of seals. PV have sent him some to replace them.

Ive used the left lever more, but on my last 2 or 3 uses of the right lever, it has slipped everytime as the spring push the piston down. The left has never slipped and remains usable but it has a slight drip when the machine is turned on.

When I get the seals changed I also intend to line up the guage and check out under the hood, just to make sure that its all good.

Ash

Lacehim, dont worry, if I head up there in the next month or three, Ill let you know* ;) Itd be good to chat with another PVL owner. Hopefully by then youll get the seal issue sorted out.

Ive adjusted my pstat a little lower than what Jack shipped it to me at, due to personal preference. Im currently sitting at 1.05 - 1.1 bar. That has varied over the last 6 - 8 weeks or so, but Im still experimenting with pressure and different SO coffees.

Ive gone as low as 0.8 bar, but the flavour was a little lacklustre. 1.2 - 1.3 bar was a little too much for my taste, so Ive settled for where I am at the moment. Beside, the PVL steams better at that pressure or higher - and what steam....

Ok. My pstat is at 1.2. How do you access the pstat? I read about an extra pipe you can use to make it more accessible. Anyone know where to get on?

Also got a question about the lever speed. If I dial it in to get a few drops after 5-8sec precision the lever is quick and doesnt have a lot of resistance. If I go finer I dont get any drops until inlet the lever rise to about a 1/4 way up. But the following two full pulls are nice. The volume is good and the resistance in the spring is good enough that I can take my hand away and watch it slowly rise. Is either way right or wrong?

Ash

The easiest way to access the pstat is to take the cover off of the machine. Make sure that its off and empty. Turn it around on the bench so the levers are facing away from you. Tilt the machine forward so that it rests on the levers. Under the base there are four bolts, two hold the boiler on and two hold the cover on. Have a good look at which are which and dont remove the boiler ones! Remove the two bolts. Next, return the machine to its upright position. The outer cover should be able to be lifted up and off. You may find that a portion of the cover hits the frame or the face of the machine, just use a small screwdriver to lever the offending edge away from the machine. Be patient and dont rush it. The powder coating isnt the strongest on the edges where youll be levering. Once this edge is clear the cover should just lift clear.

Return the machine to its normal working position. The pstat is on the left hand side of the boiler as you face it, right in the middle of the boiler, uncomfortably close to some wiresÖ It faces directly outwards, towards where the case would usually be. This is the reason why changing the pstat is a bit of an annoyance.

One solution is to fit two right angle elbows to the hole where the pstat usually sits. If you do this right the pstat would face directly up, and all that you would need to do is cut a hole in the plastic cover below the cup warming tray.

The solution I adopted was to simply cut a 10mm diameter hole in the side of the case to access the pstat. Unfortunately I went about 5-7mm to far to the rear when measuring out the centre point. A mildly inconvenient error, after which I then fitted a grommet to the hole so no sharp edges would cut any wires.

Iíll post some pics of the base showing which bolts to remove when I get home tonight.
    screamingnickel likes this.

Ash

On the other issue, I generally grind fine enough so that I only get a few drips after the 6-8 second mark. I ride the handle up to about half way then re-cock the lever. The reason I ride the lever is to control the first part of the extraction and also to make sure the lever doesnít go flying up and away! After re-cocking the lever this hasnít been an issue for me.

I donít think either way is right or wrong, as the result is in the cup. If you find a technique that works for you, then use it.

Thx ash. when removing the case what has to be done with the steam water handles?

Ash

OOPS - forgot about them! :o The reason for no electricity and no water! Before you start the steps above youll need a spanner (I think 10mm Ė a medium adjustable will do.) and the cup warmer and plastic cover off. The easiest thing to do is remove the whole valve assembly from the boiler itself.

Go to where the valves are installed on the boiler and find the lugs closest to the boiler. Put your spanner on and undo in the loosening direction (lefty loosy Ė righty tighty). Itíll only take a small bump with the spanner before the valves can be removed by hand. They screw out quite easily, just be careful not o damage the seals themselves on the thread as you pull them out.

Install is reverse of above.

If you undo them by turning the knob, be aware that the valve will unscrew to the full open position as you screw out the valve. Itíll also screw in as you install. It shouldnít take more than a small bump to install the valve when it is seated correctly. Donít tighten the valve up to much, youíll end up getting something else to do the job of the seals.

Ash

Here they are - some photos of what I was talking about.

1st up - the first bolt to remove, the plastic cover underneath the cup warmer. Undo the bolt (dont drop it!) and with a bit of a rotate and twist it will come out.

2nd - Steam valve removal - see post above

3rd - how to lean the machine on its levers

4th - Remove the bolts in the yellow circlec. Dont touch the bolts in the red circles

5th - How I adjust the pstat. If anyone else wants to cut a hole in the cover and wants some dimensions, give me a pm and Ill go measure them up ;)

damn, pity it doesnt have a tank and pump to do an auto fill, but then the price would double. Does it take a stanadrd 58 mm basket or portafilter ?

Ive been toying with getting a lever machine so I have full control, the E61 .... well there is that curve on the cam when I pull the lever, preinfusion and the switth activation due to how far the switch is in (like timimg on car cam), and Im thinking maybe a lever machine gives me full control by feel ????

Baskets are 45mm. Have a read of the start of teh thread for further specs in Jacks posts

Hello again guys.

Great photos Ash. When I get the new seals (still waiting :() I will send you some and I hope you can post images of installing them. You have done such a good job of these photos...

Concerning changing the Pstat setting: all the machines I have been getting have been pre-set to 1.2 BAR. I have never changed the setting on mine- and it has not changed over 2 years of use. I have noted in the USA some users saying they like a lower setting. But I have tried pulling shots before the machine is at full pressure and I dont like the lower pre-infusion you get at around 1 Bar. I also find the steamer is not as good at that setting. To me 1.2 seems about perfect.

Ashs mod of drilling a hole in the cabinet to access the p-stat is nicely done. In the USA orphanespresso was modifying their machines by putting a right angle joint on the Pstat so that the adjustment screw faces upwards. then they drilled a hole in the plastic electrical cover. This way you can change the p-stat setting without having to take the cabinet off- just remove the cup tray.

Whilst you are inside there many users also insulate the boiler- and even add insulation between the boiler and the electrical parts. I think this is a good idea for the long term PV user who thinks ahead... it should help the machine last longer.

Another mod worth doing would be to paint the inside of the cabinet with varnish or a similar to add an extra layer of rust proofing. I have a Sama machine that I restored and after many years there was some rust in the cabinet around where the cabinet bolts onto the body. On that machine I cleaned it all up- and varnished it after having it resprayed.

Concerning the slippages I am reading about here: this is due to seals as Lacehim pointed out. Apparently PV had a bad batch late last year. Any one who has purchased a machine in the last 12 months is eligible for a free set of replacements as soon as they arrive.

I will post my pics of the seal replacement when they arrive. In the meantime here is a link to a jig made by a USA user. there was some controversy over whether it could damage the machine.... personally I doubt it very much despite the detailed physics explored on the thread...

http://www.home-barista.com/levers/ponte-vecchio-lusso-piston-removal-revisited-t9661.html?hilit=ponte%20vecchio%20ponte%20vecchio %20seals#p109680

If someone wanted to make up a two group version of that device I would be happy to test it out on my machine as the guinea pig. Changing the seals with a G clamp is not too hard once you have done it before- the first time is a little tricky. The jig pictured on HB would make it an absolute breeze.

As to the seals: I am checking the letterbox every day- they should be here any time. PV promises me they were sent around 10 days ago...

lu

Lusting after a cherry red Lusso, Sorrentina Coffee website says sold out* ...... patience* :-/

Ash

Im looking at making the jig up, but itll be a couple of weekends until I get around to it. The other option would be to remove the groups from the machine and use a g-clamp. Not sure what that would involve on the plumbing side of the house. It looks like its 4 bolts that hold each of the groups on and what ever connections there are plumbing wise.

Re: insulation - Ive just used a bit of woollen wadding inbetween the electronics and the face of the machine, seems to work well so far. Touch Wood!* :) Im thinking about using a bit of cork, just got to find me some longer screws

Ash, undo the 4 bolts and the group just comes off I think. I had to undo mine to move it plumb but one bolt was really tight so I just loosened it and moved the group a tad. The chrome plating isnt that great, so dont oven tighten them.

Ive got heaps of insulbrite... might use that on the boiler for insulation. Not sure if its the right stuff to use or not?

Personally I liked the jig idea, but that thread got way out of hand. I would be interested in find out the results of using one. I can imagine using a g-clamp could damaged the surface of the machine, where as a jig could damaged the frame.

You would think that PV would provide some information about changing the seals. Its going to be done on every machine at some point isnt it.

Im looking forward to get my seals, the left group is starting to show signs of seal issues with a gurgle now. Im holding onto my HX until its fixed, then selling it off and my K6 and I might buy a Vario. ;)

Ash

Quote Originally Posted by 3D213C3C2B203A27202F2D2128282B2B4E0 link=1265525881/115#115 date=1300844796
    there was some controversy over whether it could damage the machine.... personally I doubt it very much despite the detailed physics explored on the thread...
    Ive just finished reading that thread - talk about overkill IMO! But I suppose it follows on what I see with American coffee forums, more science, less art. The difference in the cup using 18 grams as opposed to 18.5 grams for example... just make you coffee and enjoy it and dont over analyse it* >:( (rant over). I understand what theyre talking about and if you were replacing the seals daily you might see a problem, but for the home user who may replace seals once or twice a year, that discussion of physics was total overkill.

Lacehim - as long as the material youre planning on using isnt electrically conductive you should be okay. The reason I say that is the wires are a bit of a mess on one side of the machine, even though things all look safe with good plugs etc, its best be safe as far as electricity goes. Its something that Im going to look into myself* :D

OK- just a brief post to say the seals have still not arrived >:( Ponte Vecchio have assured me they are in the mail- and I am still hoping they will arrive any day now. I have also ordered more of them with my next shipment to be doubly sure. In the future I will keep a goodly stock on hand so that this cannot happen again. PV have also said they are sending me a special tool to change the seals- I will post images and a description of it when it arrives- but that wont be for 8 weeks or so. Assuming it is not too big- I will be happy to loan this tool out to users who need to change their seals.

I just want to apologise to those people waiting for these seals- I really hoped to have them well before now. I promise the very minute they arrive I will update this thread and start shipping them out. If you are worried about changing the seals yourself- you can post the groups to me and I will do it for you- I will cover the postage costs as well.

Thankyou for your patience to date.

Come on seals... hurry up!!! :) Hey Jack are you sure you dont want to fly me over to Italy to pick up some new ones? ;) I can give the PV guys a hand building them too!!!

Seriously though I had a damn nice coffee this morning. The lever was down for 8 secs, no drip, gave it a 1/4 and still nothing :o so I just let it rise, and the coffee came slowly, then I did another pull, still no blonding, so bugger it I gave it a third pull!!!! :D It look lovely, tasted lovely and strong in a latte. :)

I didnt get any gurgling so it kept the pressure up. I did tamp a bit harder though, but the fact there was no blonding at the end of the second pull was pretty cool. :)

Whats the possibility of retrofitting a ball jointed steam valve?

Quote Originally Posted by 5B6F786E755F717272791D0 link=1265525881/122#122 date=1303395597
    Whats the possibility of retrofitting a ball jointed steam valve?
    Hi Freshblood,

Do you mean a ball jointed steam arm? I would say it would be pretty hard to retrofit, as the steam arm goes through the front fascia before joining to the valve.

The fixed arm isnt a problem, it just takes a couple of goes to get used to.

Cheers

Sniff

Yep as per sniff its a one piece valve and wand Im afraid. Mind you using kk milk steaming method it works perfectly. My only issue is that the power button can been annoying!n its right where the jugs sits.

Still waiting on seals. PV must have sent them by boat or something. Ill be old and grey before they get here... Oh bugger already going grey. :(

Nice - i wont worry then!

I did have a play around with the KK method when I was frustrated with getting the spin right on my Grimac Mia when it was new, but ended up settling into her and stopped using KK. It would be useful with the lusso though.

Does anyone know the rough dimensions of the lusso? It seems like such a compact machine - which is exactly what I want. I love my Grimac, but man she is a TANK. A 5L (!) Water tank and a 1.5L vertical boiler adds up to a lot of size and weight that I didnt think about when I got her.

Is the lusso easily pickup and moveable? Im a student and so live in modest accomodation (aka a shitty sharehouse) and so space is at a premium... would be great if I could swap in the Grimac and the K3 for a Lusso and a Baratza as to allow tucking them away in a cupboard when theyre not in use.

Ash

The Lusso measures about (with handles on) approx 300w x 480d x 460h and with out handles 300W x 320d x 340h. The lever handles can be removed quite easily, they are just screwed on. It weighs about 12kg from memory. The tank holds up to 3 litres so there is plenty for brewing and steaming. Once you get used to it, the wand isnt a drama, and the machine steams like a steam train :D

hey guys.

Damn Those Seals! I am still waiting and getting increasingly aggravated over this long delay. I have ordered more from PV to ship with my next delivery and asked them to send me some more by express airmail. I am waiting for a reply- hopefully I will know by the end of this weekend.

Big apologies to all those waiting patiently.

They must have sent the first lot via surface mail- I am sick of checking the letterbox...

At one point I found a German website that sold the seals, as well as naked portafilters, black filter baskets (odd but cool) and other Lusso accessories... I would order some seals from them but now I cant find that website anywhere... and I cant remember the name- If anyone can find it please PM me- I am going to have another google search now.

Jack... pasmarose

Happy Easter! ;)

PMd you freshblood.

I think the naked group handles are pretty expensive. Pity. Even a group minus handle is expensive which amazes me considering the size of the things. You could buy a heavy 58mm group handle cheaper.

The problem with the seals Jack is that PV might have old stock floating about with other suppliers. I personally dont want to change them over and then find out they are the wrong ones again. :(

Meeting up with Ash next week for a chat. Will be interesting to compare notes and discuss out thoughts about changing the seals.

I hope to not to remove the groups. When I adjusted the left group because it was off centre I noticed one bolt didnt want to unscrew as easily as the others. It was rather tight. I just moved it enought to realighn and put it back in. Also if your removing the groups becareful of the chrome. It wont like the bolts being over tightened or spanners rubbing against it. Ill be doing mine insitu I think.

Thanks a Million Cuppacoffee! thats the one- and a very happy easter to you...

I have heard the seals from there are good- I am pretty sure the bad batch PV got was a one off problem It only occurred in my last shipment and they realised what had happened pretty quick.... too late to help me though.

I have ordered some PFs and hope to offer them at an* affordable rate. Shouldnt be too hard to cut the bottoms off and go naked.

Had a chance to meet Ash on Saturday. Hes kindly lent me a set of spare seals that he had a little tool from OE to fit them.

I would also like to but an antivac on this thing. Has anyone done this? Its not a big issues, but it would make it easier to use long term, especially as my wife is showing interest in steaming milk for chai lattes.

Ive read on other forums (hb I think) that people said they get blocked up. I really dont see why it would be any different to any other single or HX or commercial boiler myself.

Also has anyone else tried insulation? Ive got heaps of insulbrite lying around here. Thought using it on the boiler... either that or 20 pairs of oven mitts!

I would like any mods to be reversiable too. So please not suggestions to go drilling holes in the boiler! :)

Hows the anti-vac going to help? I just leave the steam valve open when Ive switched the machine off, then close it when I switch back on (then bleed off the false pressure)

I bought the gadget from orphanespresso too so will be curious to see how you go with it. Ive also seen a setup on homebarista to put the seals in without taking the group off but then followed a long and earnest discussion about whether the groups/boiler are meant to handle the strain of compressing the spring.

I also bought some insulation off orphanespresso but havent got around to putting it on. Seals first, methinks...

Ash

The seal tool certainly helps, it makes the whole seal installation job a lot easier. The seals slide alot easier into the grouphead using it. If you can manage to get all three seals seated correctly in the tool, then installation of the piston itself is a lot less fiddly. I had to use half a peg to push the lips of the first seal into the grouphead and it was very fiddly. Its easier to do the seal compression away from the group rather than as youre trying to install the piston* [smiley=shocked.gif]*

Quote Originally Posted by 445A424F595A41402E0 link=1265525881/132#132 date=1304237706
    Hows the anti-vac going to help?* I just leave the steam valve open when Ive switched the machine off, then close it when I switch back on (then bleed off the false pressure)
    Well its going to be convenient for a start.* I will beable to turn on the machine, and have it warmed up ready to make a coffee without bleeding off false pressure.* I havent been letting off the steam pressure after use.* Its not in the manual (not that that means much), and I have two young kids.* Steam + kids = bad news.

I dont think it will hurt to try it.* I just have to find someone that can make me a pipe so that I can attach a few fitting.* I was considering Teeing off the pressurestat outlet, and moving the pressurestat so that it can be accessed without taking the case off.* Similar to the OE mod to the pressurestat.* Surely it wouldnt hurt to try it?

Quote Originally Posted by 445A424F595A41402E0 link=1265525881/132#132 date=1304237706
    I bought the gadget from orphanespresso too so will be curious to see how you go with it.* Ive also seen a setup on homebarista to put the seals in without taking the group off but then followed a long and earnest discussion about whether the groups/boiler are meant to handle the strain of compressing the spring.
    That discussion is listed above somewhere.* Personally I liked the idea, but as you say it got well out of hand with physics.* The designer seemed to have used it with some success.* Lets face it anything that makes the job easier without damaging the machine would be handy.

I will post up some piccies when I get around to changing the RH group seal.* Its been unuseable for ages now.* When Jack gets his seals by the bucket load I will beable to change the otherside.

Im not sure if there would be benefits to the insulation.* Probably for users that left it on all the time.* Maybe it would also protect the electronic parts/wiring over time?

Quote Originally Posted by 05282A2C212024490 link=1265525881/134#134 date=1304298159
    Well its going to be convenient for a start. I will be able to turn on the machine, and have it warmed up ready to make a coffee without bleeding off false pressure. I havent been letting off the steam pressure after use. Its not in the manual (not that that means much), and I have two young kids. Steam + kids = bad news.
    Ive got three tiddlers too and when I release the steam I put a tea cup on the drip tray under the steam arm and it deflects the steam up and away from little children (plus the hissing sound scares them off!)

I thought an anti-vac valve would just let air into the boiler as it cools which would then mean youd have to bleed off the false pressure again (which means I dont understand how it works then as I presume other machines somehow get rid of false pressure without the need bleed it off)

I havent rushed to put the insulation on as I dont have the Lusso on for long in the mornings, probably an hour and a half or so and the element only comes on and off briefly anyway each minute or so.

Quote Originally Posted by 05282A2C212024490 link=1265525881/134#134 date=1304298159
    That discussion is listed above somewhere. Personally I liked the idea, but as you say it got well out of hand with physics. The designer seemed to have used it with some success. Lets face it anything that makes the job easier without damaging the machine would be handy.
    Any snobs have any suggestions? The gadget from orphanespresso seems to be recommended, and Jack said PV have sent him something to help (perhaps similar to the orphanespresso gadget).

The homebarista suggestion seemed quite ingenious to me, maybe a brace could be added to it to go around the group and reduce the strain on the group/boiler attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by 7C627A7761627978160 link=1265525881/135#135 date=1304303050
    Ive got three tiddlers too and when I release the steam I put a tea cup on the drip tray under the steam arm and it deflects the steam up and away from little children (plus the hissing sound scares them off!)
    My set up is a little lower on a table. The anti vac basically does away with bleeding off with false pressure. It also as I understand it stops a vaccum foruming as the boiler cools? As the boiler heats up, air escapes from the boiler until the pressure builds (ie real pressure) which forces the valve up and seals the boiler. When it cools the valve drops down to let air in/escape. No more bleeding false pressure and the machine will be up to temp and ready to use once pressure is ready. :)

I will need to take a look at how the pressurestat is fitted, and with what sort of fitting and where/how it can be fitted. If anyone has any stripped down photos of the machine without the case I would love to see them. PM me.

Ive got someone willing to help and if I can make if from off the shelf parts I will, so that any PV Lusso owners can give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by 7C627A7761627978160 link=1265525881/135#135 date=1304303050
    The homebarista suggestion seemed quite ingenious to me, maybe a brace could be added to it to go around the group and reduce the strain on the group/boiler attachment.
    I was thinking along the same lines. From what I read the actual force to push up the piston isnt as much as you would think because your not having to compress the spring fully. Only enough to remove the pin? But I havent dont it yet so I dont know first hand.

A jig type arrangment would be good and make life easier. Not that Im hoping to be doing this alot (changing seals that is) :)

For anyone that has changed seals. How far do you have to compress the spring to remove the pin?

Any update on seals Jack? Also any chance you can post up you seal replacement how to?

Two questions about the Lusso:
    1. with the different shape of the portafilter, does that mean one cant generally use the portafilter holder on the grinder?
    2. What the distance between the bottom of the PF and the top of the drip tray? How tall a cup/mug will fit?

Hi guys,
    I have a traditional pump espresso machine, and have just fallen in love with the Lusso.

Can someone explain to me the difference in flavour profile and texture profile between the an espresso from a Lusso and a normal pump machine?

I think I am getting a bad case of EMAD (Espresso Machine Acquisition Disorder)!!!

Greatly appreciated.

Hi Apple

Try having a chat with Jack from Sorrentina - he imports the Lusso and also sells other lever machines, and is lucky enough to play with them all!

Click the Sorrentina link in the sponsors list

Regards

Sniff

Quote Originally Posted by 47404047515F545B350 link=1265525881/138#138 date=1304469417
    Two questions about the Lusso:
    1. with the different shape of the portafilter, does that mean one cant generally use the portafilter holder on the grinder?
    2. What the distance between the bottom of the PF and the top of the drip tray? How tall a cup/mug will fit?
    1. The spouts arent standard and wont hook. I took my grinders pf holder off.
    2. Probably a max 10cm high cup. Personally I wouldnt use a mug, the shot volume is lower on the pv. From a double basket Im probably getting max 30mls (anyone else any different?). But in a nice ACF tulip cup its the perfect with milk.

Quote Originally Posted by 7D50525459585C310 link=1265525881/141#141 date=1304556099
    From a double basket Im probably getting max 30mls (anyone else any different?).
    I push the envelope and get 40mls from a double. Then I try and get 20mls from a single basket and then combine for two 30mls shots.

Im going to try going back to 30mls per double basket and see what difference I can detect in the cup.

Quote Originally Posted by 3729313C2A2932335D0 link=1265525881/142#142 date=1304569158
    I push the envelope and get 40mls from a double. Then I try and get 20mls from a single basket and then combine for two 30mls shots.

Im going to try going back to 30mls per double basket and see what difference I can detect in the cup.
    So come on tell more. What the grind/tamp like? Prefusion time etc?

A few times Ive had 3 lever pulls and no blonding, the shot was really nice too. Im struggling with consitancy at the moment, its either too fast or too slow, but Im aiming for in between. I think its my dose thats causing it, plus Im using my own roasted beans more these days.

Quote Originally Posted by 123F3D3B3637335E0 link=1265525881/143#143 date=1304647186
    So come on tell more.* What the grind/tamp like?* Prefusion time etc?
    Hard tamp, grind, erm, dont know how to describe it, fine-ish?* ::)

For the double basket: Hold down the lever, wait for the first few drops (anywhere between 5 and 10 seconds), then release, do a fellini, then two more pulls.

With the single basket, hold down, the first few drops always come much faster, fellini, then single pull.* The crema is always lighter with the single basket and the flow faster, so...

This morning I decided to lash out and use a double basket for each 30mls.* Same method as above, and with some freshly roasted KJM blend, got a nice layer of crema.*

Interesingly I didnt adjust the grinder at all with the new batch.* Last batch was a 50/50 blend of Bolivia Green Mountain and Mexico Yeni Navan Typica.

I think this is testament to the Lussos forgiving nature on the grind.

Hello Lusso owners...

I wish I had news that the seals were here- instead we have finally worked out what happened with the first shipment Ponte Vecchio sent me: they sent them to my old address and the seals are now lost in space somewhere. When I ordered them I informed them of the new address but a someone read the old one of an invoice and posted them there. We only just figured out what happened. :-/

I am so sorry about this.

The good news is they have sent another parcel- along with a tool for seal changing. To be doubly sure I have another set sent by sea as well- so I will have a few hundred in stock down the track.

I will update here as soon as the equipment arrives.

I dont know what the tool looks like but I will post images of it here.

To answer the questions about brewing: personally I only ever use the double baskets and always do 2 and a half pulls (the half is the so called fellini pull at the start). I would guess this makes a 30ml shot. I have done three pull shots with no bad affect.

I find that filling the basket right to the top leaving only 2mm headspace works best. I do a hard tamp as well.

For grind it likes to be quite fine- not powdery- but smaller than white sugar granules. Basically you want to grind fine enough that when you raise the lever- after 5-10 seconds of pre-infusion you only get one or two drops of coffee falling out. If you get quite a trickle it indicates you should grind a touch finer next time. However you can save a shot like this by making two little fellini pumps- this saturates the grounds quicker and creates more resistance- it stops the water flowing through too fast on the main pulls.* If on the other hand you have ground too fine- on the second pull the flow will slow as the grounds get saturated and the result may be quite a slow shot- 30 seconds per pull. I have found that even these ones taste fine- not burnt- the crema may be a little thinner though.

I have found with my own roasts that I have to adjust my grinder by one notch up or down for each new roast. In general darker roasts seem to like a slightly finer grind. I guess this is the same with most espresso machines? A good way to dial it in is to start out very fine: see if it chokes the shot- and then work back from there.

Another tip: if you want to remove the handle quickly to pull another shot- you can half unlock it and then jiggle it up and down to release any pressure left inside. This works fine.

When the seals arrive I will post some images of the seal change process and also of the shot making process.

Thanks Jack, great advice.

Pity about the seals being posted to the wrong address but thats life eh. Ill be happy to order a spare set when you get them, just incase. I guess you checked your old address for a strange parcel? If its not there it probably got returned to sender.

I was hoping to put some custom wood handles on my PVL. The group handles are straight forward, but Im not sure about the lever handles?

Has anyone removed them or knows how? If not can you contact Ponte Vecchio and ask them if it can be done? The drawings I have dont show a nut or anything. Maybe they are glued on... :(

not sure if they are glued- normally they would just be screwed on. I have seen modified wood handle before- you could post a thread on HB and I am sure you would have an answer quickly....

The old house sold- and by now the seals must have been returned to sender- or were discarded by the new house owners...

I am very interested in one of these units, but since there arent any demo units in Tassie, I have a couple of questions some of you owners/users can hopefully help with.

1. How much effort is required to pull the lever down? I cant see the machine lift off the bench in any of the Utube videos, but is it like lifting a full kettle or what would you liken it to? (Cos my wife will only like it if its not too hard to use!)

2. Anyone who upgraded from a Silvia, what do you think of the performance and ease of producing espresso compared to Silvia?...(oh and I dont care about the shot volume as much as some people, as long as it tastes good).

Can only comment generally based on my Izzo Pompeii Spring Lever, my wife, (who is a slight build), has no problems pulling the lever down on the Izzo.

She was pulling better shots, consistently from day one, than she ever poured from the Bezzera BZ35E we had previously.

If the Ponte is anything like the Izzo you will be pulling god shots more often than you can believe, and your wife will be too!

Mine is also much cleaner to operate as well and I cant think of one thing that is less convenient or worse than the old commercial HX machine.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast