Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Ponte Vecchio Lusso Club Spring Lever espresso machine

Im an elektra owner, but its good to see a bunch of people jumping on board with the lever action!!! No one gets it until they "get" one

Hi Muzz, I have a PVII and used to have a 6910. Loved my little 6910. Had some great brew from it. The PVII is a wonderful machine. Get the hang of it (not too hard) and ye shall be rewarded. There is no comparison the PV is a shorter shot but has a velvet and delicate butteriness that non lever machines don't have. Is it the deeper basket? The slower pressure build up and extraction? I don't know. But levers are different in a good way. I'm a fan.

Ok so I've seen 3 PV lusso' for sale in the last 3 months or so, is there something I'm missing? Can't get parts for them?

Nope, parts are easy to get......i think it's just upgraditis. Like all think in Geekdom, there's always a better, more commercial or even vintage version of the equiment you have.
    Plus variety is the spice of life.

The PV are great, and are a stepping stone, just like a Silvia or a Domobar piccolo....

They're solidly built, very simple and easy to repair and very cheap....what's not to like!

Cheers

Haha fair enough. Where exactly do you source parts from? I found a place over seas called '1st line equip' but I don't think they post internationally...

htb
    You could try Bellabarsita or Orphan espresso (pick up a Pharos at the same time ).
    I have only ordered through Sorrentina though.

Quote Originally Posted by Framey View Post
    Thought other PVL owners might like these:

Hi! I am a new member and I must say these are beautiful!! Did you make the handles? Or, is there a source where I could purchase the portafilter handles? Or does one have to purchase the portafilter too? I just received my PVL-2 3 days ago and didn't realize how much I was missing out! A complete newb. Matching lever handles would be totally awesome as well.
    Thank you kindly in advance!

I just picked up one of these, great little machine.

I've moved from a Bezzera HX with PID machine to the PVL.

The PVL is a nifty, the heat time is a lot longer than my HX and whilst the steam is good there is no where near as much as the Bezzera. So its a bit of an adjustment.

The shots from the PVL are really nice and it's really hard to make a bad shot!

1431564929033.jpg
    Last edited by paulau; 14th May 2015 at 12:20 PM.
    Jitsukablue likes this.

I just completed added an antivac mod on my PVL.

1432812556100.jpg

I ordered these parts fromv sponsor Coffee Parts.

I didn't end up needing the right angle 620570.

1432812627978.jpg

Cheers
    SniffCoffee likes this.

Who is selling the PVL machine this days? Sorrentina seems to be out of stock.

Maintenance schedule?

I've had my PVL for about 12 months, and everything is working well. I am still loving how forgiving this machine is, and my espresso usage has doubled.

One thing I had for my prior Gaggia Classic machine was a maintenance schedule. I haven't found anything like that (or any discussion about routine maintenance) for the PVL. Is there stuff other than routine de-scaling (with citric acid) that I should be doing?
    paulau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rgrosz View Post

One thing I had for my prior Gaggia Classic machine was a maintenance schedule. I haven't found anything like that (or any discussion about routine maintenance) for the PVL. Is there stuff other than routine de-scaling (with citric acid) that I should be doing?
    Actually it was posted early in the thread that the manual suggests using vinegar! Been devouring all the info as the machine so appeals to me. Have to do more reading yet. La Pavs can be descaled with vinegar as well.
    To make thngs even better, there is a thread about changing seals.
    How to Change Seals: The Ponte Vecchio Lusso Way!

If you have read this already, how cool is the info written up by Jack? If not, enjoy the read.
    I have a sense of romance with lever machines. Or is that fond memories of Sicily in my youth!

hey there sorrentina, do you know if the lusso has the same group head as the export model?

G'day mate...

Don't believe that Sorrentina is active any more, unfortunately...

Mal.

Any idea where to get parts from for these?

I need a Pstat and brain.

TC
    Some pix of what they are will help us to help you.

Items are most likely generic or can be interchanged with generic

Cheers

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    G'day mate...

Don't believe that Sorrentina is active any more, unfortunately...

Mal.
    Cheers, I guess I can sort of join the club, got.the lever and in a Ponte Vecchio, just not the lusso

Quote Originally Posted by Framey View Post
    Thought other PVL owners might like these:

You have my attention....especially on the portafilter....not a PVL owner, instead a PVE owner (skinny brother)

What is your pull time to get that crema and I'm guessing those beams you use are fairly fresh? on my export I tend to go 10 second hold followed by another 5seconds for the next and I get a good consistent crema for my flat whites.

My export did that squeaking thing once I ran the vinegar through it as per the manual, then after a day its back to normal.

I wish I discovered this post last year and I would have tried to track jack down I do suppose a lot has happened between now and 2012 so curious how many folks still have their ponte vecchios...I've had had my export since October and I absolutely love it and the coffees it provides me with

I have one .. a single Group that I imported from Italy coming up 3 years ago in December. Have loved it only now in the process of changing the seals which I am finding particularly difficult to do. I have been trying to get in touch with Jack from Sorrentina to get a hold of the special tool he has for changing the seals .. only I haven't had a reply .. so I'm not sure whether Jack is still in action these days as it has been 3 years since I have been in contact with him.

Hi all

" ... curious how many folks still have their ponte vecchios.. "

I got mine from Jack at Sorrentina in July 2010. So it's now over 6 years old. It's up at our farm and the wife and I use it every weekend. It's still going fine.

I use a full shot as an espresso for myself and a second full shot for the wife. Hers is with a dash of milk and a little top-up of hot water. Not in a full cup but in an espresso cup. Because the basket is small it would be too weak as a full cup.

Mike
    SniffCoffee likes this.

Hi Folks,

Had a PVL for 3 years and it is still running well - had to complete a 'brainectomy' (spilt coffee fried the brain) and change the piston seals in that time, both easy tasks. I emailed Jack about a month ago and he still has some stock of seals (I need to do them again).

I use the deepest basket and am happy with the coffee strength in a 180ml cup for flat whites (parents are happier with the same shot into a 220ml with milk)

Whilst they are a quirky machine - they do offer a great shot. Its a shame the company doesn't seem to care about producing a more refined product - they would be really terrific with a little more attention to finish. I'm happy enough with it that the jump in price to the next level of lever machine is not too tempting.....
    SniffCoffee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by speleomike View Post
    Hi all

" ... curious how many folks still have their ponte vecchios.. "

I got mine from Jack at Sorrentina in July 2010. So it's now over 6 years old. It's up at our farm and the wife and I use it every weekend. It's still going fine.

I use a full shot as an espresso for myself and a second full shot for the wife. Hers is with a dash of milk and a little top-up of hot water. Not in a full cup but in an espresso cup. Because the basket is small it would be too weak as a full cup.

Mike
    I've had my PV export for a year now and it's great I wish it had a bigger group I had a laugh. I'm dreading the day I have to replace the seals but might have to take the shower off to see how much coffee has made it past.

Who's this jack you guys speak of and could somebody pm me his details? The lusso and export have identical parts so I want to get some seal kits in advance and would prefer to get them locally

Quote Originally Posted by 3rutu5 View Post
    I've had my PV export for a year now and it's great I wish it had a bigger group I had a laugh. I'm dreading the day I have to replace the seals but might have to take the shower off to see how much coffee has made it past.

Who's this jack you guys speak of and could somebody pm me his details? The lusso and export have identical parts so I want to get some seal kits in advance and would prefer to get them locally
    Jack is who I bought my PVL off in 2011… The SorrentinaCoffee.com website no longer has the PVL machines on it, so I’m not sure if he’s still involved or not? He used to mail around the seal change tool as well. I’ve probably changed the seals on average each year, but of late one of the handles has been running for 2 years and is only now showing signs the seals need replacing.
    Since 2011 I’ve had to replace my steam wand (leak developed at the braized section), a new brain… despite hard use and even someone running the machine without water, electrode was fine just required a new brain. The brain has an under-rated component on it that will eventually break if you allow it to flick over to low water light too many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Jitsukablue View Post
    Jack is who I bought my PVL off in 2011Ö The SorrentinaCoffee.com website no longer has the PVL machines on it, so Iím not sure if heís still involved or not? He used to mail around the seal change tool as well. Iíve probably changed the seals on average each year, but of late one of the handles has been running for 2 years and is only now showing signs the seals need replacing.
    Since 2011 Iíve had to replace my steam wand (leak developed at the braized section), a new brainÖ despite hard use and even someone running the machine without water, electrode was fine just required a new brain. The brain has an under-rated component on it that will eventually break if you allow it to flick over to low water light too many times.
    So i have had a PVL for 6 months with no problems. Made 2 coffees this morning on a 3/4 tank of water. Then this afternoon i went to make a mid arvo coffee and when i turned the machine on it lit up the "Low Water Light" and won't heat the water. There is plenty of water in the boiler. Any suggestions on what has gone on and how could fix it????

spress me baby 1 mor time
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigTaylor View Post
    So i have had a PVL for 6 months with no problems. Made 2 coffees this morning on a 3/4 tank of water. Then this afternoon i went to make a mid arvo coffee and when i turned the machine on it lit up the "Low Water Light" and won't heat the water. There is plenty of water in the boiler. Any suggestions on what has gone on and how could fix it????
    Most likely brain, I think the same happened to mine back in 2014 (got my machine in Oct 2012) was still under warranty so Sorrentina supplied parts($60) and I replaced which was fairly easy. Its a good idea to do yourself and learn the machine anyway for future fixing. I havn't been on this site much in 5 years but will do the anti-vac mod now I now what parts to get.

Machine still works great, new different 'brain' makes the low water redundant and I have replaced heating element due to burning it out (from low water). Most other things are in great condition powder coating under drip tray is falling off and shows signs of slight rust but it was peeling from the get go, plastic wire cover is ridiculously distorted from heat, boiler has expanded a bit and turned completely blue/black from the original grey/silver. I added the right angle elbow to pstat to access from top cover but havn't ever needed it as pressure has stayed consistent the whole five years (ive changed it maybe twice just for fun).

edit:site with parts
    Last edited by abuch47; 20th May 2017 at 04:06 PM. Reason: info

You might need to remove that link. You could instead say what to google to get there.

Anyone still get these in to AU?

cant find edit button for my last post

also just got the antivac etc from coffe parts as per pauls post. def not 100% right thread but will work with some ptfe tape. tried without tape to just past hand tight (with a shifter) and turned her on and it leaked from every joint. The Lusso threads are probably something odd so this definitely seems to be the cheapest, quickest antivac mod even without a perfect fit. No more false pressure
    matth3wh likes this.

sorry matt no idea who has the machines but you can find a few expensive ones through googling. Try sorrentinas website contact.

Anyone know where to get seals cheapest? would like to stock a few sets.

Hi

My PVL is years old and haven't yet got a seal problem but getting a set of seals before I need them would be a good idea. Perhaps if we have enough people we can do one order for several owners?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by speleomike View Post
    Hi

My PVL is years old and haven't yet got a seal problem but getting a set of seals before I need them would be a good idea. Perhaps if we have enough people we can do one order for several owners?

Mike
    I'd be up for a set of spare seals for mine also.
    matth3wh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBeanGenii View Post
    Actually it was posted early in the thread that the manual suggests using vinegar! Been devouring all the info as the machine so appeals to me. Have to do more reading yet. La Pavs can be descaled with vinegar as well.
    To make thngs even better, there is a thread about changing seals.
    How to Change Seals: The Ponte Vecchio Lusso Way!

If you have read this already, how cool is the info written up by Jack? If not, enjoy the read.
    I have a sense of romance with lever machines. Or is that fond memories of Sicily in my youth!
    Looks like I am ready to replace my PVL. I am a software guy without much hand strength, not a hardware geek / engineer.

I read through the thread about changing the seals, and followed the instructions carefully. The entire process of replacing the seals took me about 7 hours (over three days), and ended in disaster. At the very last step, I tried to replace the shower screen. Then I noticed that the last seal on the piston was totally trashed.

The entire process of replacing the seals took me about 7 hours (over three days) Then I noticed that the last seal on the piston was totally trashed.

What did/will you get?

just ordered $475 worth of spare parts

Quote Originally Posted by abuch47 View Post

What did/will you get?

just ordered $475 worth of spare parts
    I will be purchasing the Londinium-R as my next lever machine. Don't seem to be many Londinium fans on coffeesnobs ...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8