Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Ponte Vecchio Lusso Club Spring Lever espresso machine

Ponte Vecchio Lusso Club Spring Lever espresso machine

Obviously I am perhaps biased as I import and now offer these machines for sale... *and the Lusso is currently priced under $1500 (by just 5 cents ;-) ) but I think it is a great machine and worthy of a thread here on CoffeeSnobs.

The Lusso club fits into the Pointy End category nicely: you can pull two shots simultaneously and froth milk at the same time (as much as you want)- and there is plenty of shiny stainless steel... Lastly it has to be the only dual group machine in this category and one of only a few in the domestic market- pump or lever- full stop.

And to be fair the Lusso is my own chosen home machine: as a collector of coffee makers I am spoiled for choice when it comes to my daily cup (Faema Lambro, Atomics galore, La Pavoni, Gaggia America, Caravel, Brunella, Syphons, Presso, Faemina, etc) but the two group Lusso has founds its place as the ideal home machine for me in daily use.

I have tested many lever machines: domestic and commercial. To date I have found the PV Lussos 44mm group design the easiest to use and the most consistently excellent- virtually idiot proof. It is very hard to make a bad shot. Machines like the La Pavoni or MicroCasa a Leva, etc. have very demanding 49mm manual lever group designs, with shallow filter baskets. In use these machine require close attention to detail to get the best results. The Lusso by comparison has small 44mm baskets which are deeper (or in the singles case have less holes) and hold approx. 7grms (single) or 14grms (double) and a spring driven lever (like all commercial lever machines). Somehow this design enables the machine to easily achieve very good brew pressures with a greater latitude of coffee grind/tamp. In practice this means very few if any sink shots. It also means a uniquely nuanced lever espresso shot...

In terms of specs the Lusso couldnt be simpler: 3 liter manual fill boiler (with a sight glass), thermosyphon group heads, a pressurestat and p-gauge (set to 1.2 BAR)... there is a simple yet highly effective steam wand and a hot water wand. Thats about it. You just turn it on- let it heat up for around 10 minutes, bleed off the false pressure, run a little water through the groups to initially warm them- and you are ready to go.

Once the machine is up to heat like this it can be left on all day: ready to pull a shot- or multiple shots- whenever you want- just walk right up. The design of the machine actually goes right back to the 1950s and is known as a club design. Club machines were intended for use in small bars, cafes, and Italian mens clubs, etc. Indeed with its relatively large boiler and dual groups the Lusso can still work well in these type of low level semi-commercial environments.

In use it is very simple: the baskets can be tamped nearly to the very top- a medium to fine espresso grind works very well. I use a a double pull with the double basket- with a little maneuver at the start of the first pull that is called the fellini maneuver by lever espresso machine fanatics (apparently there is a scene in a Fellini movie where an Italian barista is seen doing this little half-pull pre-infusion).

This is my standard method:

a) Pull lever down and hold for 5 to 10 seconds allowing pre-infusion.
    b) Gently release the lever and allow to return just a little or until the first drop of espresso is seen. Quickly pull the lever down to the bottom and release- this is my fellini movement. The lever slowly returns to its upright position as the espresso pours out- if the grinds is right this takes around 15-20 seconds.
    c) Just before the lever reaches its rest point at the top- I quickly pull it all the way back down and release- for another 15-20 seconds of pour. Generally I remove the cup when the lever is at rest and let the last few drops of blonding espresso go into the drip tray.

this photo is a fairly typical result- but by no means the best result- I often get a solid black and tan effect throughout the shot (I never do as well when I am trying to photograph the shot whilst I make it... :-/):

Re: Ponte Vecchio Lusso Club Spring Lever espresso machine

I dont believe there are many Lusso owners in Australia- and I havnt made a good video yet- so I will look to youtube to show some European and American Lusso home videos. The first one shows the frothing capacity of the Lusso nicely- and the latte art is better than I ever seem to be able to manage (however I think they over-extracted a touch with a triple pull... perhaps the excitement of the Bollywood soundtrack made them do that...):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQkdMi8UYTA

This next shot looks pretty good (again a little room for improvement- but no doubt delicious)- and the soundtrack is also great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssmp1Virgd0

this last one, what can I say:- he definately could have tamped a touch harder or gone a tad finer with the grind- and there is no soundtrack- but it gives you an idea of the scale of the machine and the mechanics of the spring lever group action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvMuA1JS7Hw

Hopefully I will get around to making my own video soon- and showing them all how it really should be done... 8-) A video with both leavers blazing- and simultaneous frothing action!

In the meantime if anyone is interested in these machines- and have any questions- please feel free to ask.

Gday Jack,
    This is a lovely machine & I kicked myself for not showing the boss the single group you sold just before Christmas. * :-/ :-/

The question that keeps coming to mind is what happens to porta filter sneeze with a lever machine? Without a 3 way valve?

Upgraditise is starting to bite again. THANKS

Thomas

Thomas: I have one single group unit available- with a black body- PM me if interested.

As to the PF sneeze: Yes- it can happen. If you let the PF rest for half a minute or so there is no problem- if you need to take it off quicker- you can do so slowly allowing the pressure to release as you go. I have only had one or two sneeze incidents...

Caffeine Junky

What a gorgeous looking machine! Why are these not more popular?
    I cant say I have ever used a manual lever before but after watching the video links, it doesnt seem overly complicated.

Im guessing not a lot can go wrong with these machines?

I agree- the cherry red model is a real looker. I am not sure why they are not so popular- years ago La Pavoni lever machines were about the only high end (brass, stainless steel and chrome) home espresso machine you could find... then all the E61 group head domestic machines took over the market.

Pavoni manual lever machines are fantastic but can be tricky- so I think they really slipped out of the race over the last 10 years... Spring levers have remained popular in certain (knowledgeable) circles and I think there will be a resurgence in commercial spring lever machines over the coming years. I have heard that most Milan coffee roasters still use spring lever machines for their own tastings, and many cafes in Italy still have lever machines in action. I recently came across this great video- check out the speed of this Barista:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXJc2...layer_embedded

The simplicity of the Lusso design means that these machines are very reliable- and the construction is very robust. the frame is all metal, the case is metal, and the group heads are solid chromed brass. With *less electronics and no pump there is less to go wrong.

In fact I recently refurbished a 1970s Sama version of the club design and found it very easy. I totally disassembled it and replaced all seals and the heating element. I had the cabinet resprayed, and checked all the wiring... Like working on an old car. Without too much effort I had it operating like new again. The PV machine has a few additional safety features like the low water level cut out- but is otherwise identical to the vintage designs.

The group head seals will need replacing after some years of use. This job is a little tricky but easily achieved by the adventurous home tinkerer. Other than that there is very little to go wrong.

Wega Mininova Classic Seeya_Latte's Avatar

Very nice...Its definitely got a certain x factor alright. Theres a romantic element that draws you to it.

How would you say it handles get togethers ...where its not uncommon to meet a demand for 10-plus coffees at once (Does it overheat or run out of steam?).

How serious of a HX challenger could the PV Lusso be for someone like me whos looking to upgrade to HX territory?

George

There really is a romance to the manual process of working the levers... it also give the barista a different level of control over the process.

I think this machine would work very well for entertaining and could easily handle 10+ shots in a row. You can work both levers simultaneously- and if you make singles and doubles you have 4 baskets to work with. You wont run out of steam- the boiler is 3 liters and rebounds very quickly- there is ample pressure to froth almost any amount of milk. The machine wont overheat either- assuming you work at a steady- and not frenetic pace. Recently I used my machine to cater a small event and made around 20 coffees over the course of an hour and a half. Worked like a charm and people were very impressed with the espresso.

I am not sure how to compare it to a HX machine- and to be honest I have not had as much experience using the HX home machines as I would like. However from what I understand HX machines require a bit of flushing and tweaking to keep the heat where you want it- the Lusso is very stable in this regard and once the machine is up to temperature it stays there. If you made a lot of shots in a row very quickly the group heads may get a little hot- they will quickly cool back down if left alone- or you can use a damp cloth to cool them a little.

Quote Originally Posted by 5B475A5A4D465C4146494B474E4E4D4D280 link=1265525881/7#7 date=1265594083
    I am not sure how to compare it to a HX machine
    My HX would easily cope with 20 in an hour as Ive done 8 in around 15 minutes.

Since the last service by Di Bartoli I havent need cooling flushes and once up to temp it seems quite stable.

Didnt mean to question your HX machine there.... I feel sure it is a superb machine. The PV lusso really is a very different beast- and the espresso produced by a lever machine is different than you would get from an e61 pump group.

But I bet you cant pull two shots simultaneously... ha ha. ;-)

I have had a few emails today asking me about the difference between lever machine and pump driven espresso machines.

This is a hard thing to explain. Essentially both produce true espresso shots. One of the main differences is that the shot volume is determined by the group design of a lever machine. On a pump machine you can make it as long or short as you like. The modern espresso serve of 30mm actually evolved from the size of the shot made by the first Gaggia lever machines. This size became the espresso standard.

The major difference between the two methods is the temperature and pressure profile of the spring lever design. In these machine the group head acts as a heat exchange rapidly cooling the boiler water before and as the shot is made. This means there is a descending temperature profile throughout the shot. This is mirrored by the pressure of the shot which also decreases as the spring is released.

It is interesting to note that these are the exact characteristics that modern pump machines like the exclusive Slayer machine re-create.

A much better description of the unique characteristics and benefits of the spring lever group head has been give by Kees van der Western who makes the most amazing modern commercial lever machines:

"The lever group is a very old system, developed end of the 1940`s, to achieve the essential of espresso: forcing hot water with high pressure through the ground coffee. Despite it being old, despite the development of pumps to raise the necessary pressure, despite the development of flat line temperature machines, the lever is still widely recognized to deliver the creamiest crema, best buttery mouthfeel, highest amount of solids, oils and fats in the cup. What`s more, these desirable benefits are easy to achieve, the lever group is simple to operate and very forgiving."

http://www.keesvanderwesten.com/mirage-idrocompresso.html

Quote Originally Posted by 6A766B6B7C776D7077787A767F7F7C7C190 link=1265525881/9#9 date=1265606371
    Didnt mean to question your HX machine there
    Quote Originally Posted by 6A766B6B7C776D7077787A767F7F7C7C190 link=1265525881/7#7 date=1265594083
    I am not sure how to compare it to a HX machine- and to be honest I have not had as much experience using the HX home machines as I would like. However from what I understand HX machines require a bit of flushing and tweaking to keep the heat where you want it
    No offence taken; I was merely comparing an HXs output for you and correcting your misunderstanding that all HXs need cooling flushes.
    Theres nothing like facts instead of hearsay.

Im glad Sorrentina have bought the PV Lusso to our market, it slots nicely into your product line, Ive been an admirer for some time and read just about everything out there on it.
    One question, can you tell me how much distance there is between the steam wand and the left hand edge of the machine.

the steam wand emerges from the front panel 6cm from the left edge. However on the dual lever machine it makes a left turn so that the nozzle itself is 3cm from the left edge. On the single lever machine the steam arm is straight so its 6cm everywhere.

As a side not the clearance under the portafilter is quite good and I think you can even get a mug under it...

Bean thinking the Pav at home over Christmas was to small for entertaining the masses ::) But alas it will just have to do for a while longer. Nice add to your range Jack :)

Gday Jack,
    After a lot of reading tonight I was wondering if you can lock the lever down for a hands off pre-infusion or do you have to hold it down. Not that it matters either way but just a simple observation from one who cant physically touch it. :(

Thanks again,

Thomas

Hello there Thomas,

no the lever does not lock in place at the bottom. You have to hold it- I usually let it sit for around 10 seconds before releasing.

Only the commercial lever groups lock in at the bottom.

Hi Jack,

A great machine for this price and it looks great in red ! Could the Lusso be adapted as plumbed-in with a manual fill valve so you can refil it on the fly ? (this is how my La San Marco works - ie tap water pressure is higher than boiler pressure)

I love using my 2 commercial lever machines and was seriously considering the Luso (until I stmbled upon my La San Marco).

I havnt tried the fellini move but will give it a go !

Cheers
    Simon

Hi Jack,

I am very interested in this machine, just wondering if you have any demos in Melbourne where i can have a play.

Thanks,

Chris

Hello there Chris,

I am afraid there are no demo units around... indeed there are very few of these machines in Australia... As far as I understand no one has imported them previously.

very fascinating indeed. just a question. if there is no 3rd valve, how do you clean as they do with e-61 group head machines using backflush?

physically, the machine looks pretty compact. what are the dimensions like?

Hello there,

this type of group design does not require backflushing. Actually this is one of the great things about the PV group- not only does it not require backflushing- it is very easy to keep clean in general. The shower screen is set only a few mm into the filter basket, and very little coffee gets caught up in the bayonet. Flushing water through the group cleans it very well.

The dimensions of the machine are around 30cm across the front, 30cm deep and 26cm tall. The levers stick up and out a bit more- and the steam and water knobs are at the sides of the machine- so you need a little more room there.

Quote Originally Posted by 667A6767707B617C7B74767A73737070150 link=1265525881/19#19 date=1265679940
    I am afraid there are no demo units around... i
    Only one thing for it you "need" to do a road trip. Time it with the opening of the new snobbery, and trip around coffee haunts in Melbourne. Free accomadation at my place on the way to play with my toy collection and demo the Lusso to a potential buyer.

Write the whole thing off as a "work" promotional trip :) I know thats what I do with my "job" ::)

Hi Just wondering how to refill the boiler (seemingly odd question I realise). Do you have to wait for the machine to cool before topping up?

Not that odd. I asked the same question *:)

The reply was, that yes you do need to let it cool and bleed off any pressure before refilling.

A fairly extensive review from another coffee site cautions against adding too much cold water too quickly.

"When refilling the boiler, always allow the boiler to cool for 5 minutes once the cap is removed—this prevents a cold water shock to the heating element which could burst if it is still super hot. This applies to all lever espresso machines."

Yes, thats quite correct- and I would have thought it also applies to quite a few pump machines? In use I have added water to the boiler when it is hot- I just take care and pour it in slowly so the temperature can stabilize.

In use though I find that refilling the boiler is not a problem unless you are almost using the machine commercially. The 3 liter boiler lasts a long time- even including pre-warming and cleaning flushes- and taking hot water for long blacks.

Hi, this is my first post to this site. I hope I am on track :).
    My parents have a Sama Export, never used machine. They are interested in selling it but have no idea of a price range. They are also interested in finding a manual. Any ideas? Google searches have netted nothing so far.

Thanks!

Hard to say what your machine is worth. If you email me some pictures I could give you an idea- and maybe even make an offer.

I have had several questions about plumbing these machines. Basically it can be done- either with a solenoid valve or a mechanical tap/valve. The critical factor is that the line pressure must be greater than the boiler pressure (1.2 bar). When topping up the boiler the user needs to take care not to inject too much cold water into a hot boiler at a time.

However for use in a household I find manual filling works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by 647865657279637E7976747871717272170 link=1265525881/5#5 date=1265558412
    the cherry red model is a real looker. I am not sure why they are not so popular
    I am so getting me one of these...just saving up my pennies at the moment. ;D hopefully wont be too long...

Quote Originally Posted by 290710101B3D20620 link=1265525881/26#26 date=1266206506
    Sama Export,
    The Sama export was also sold under Ponte Vecchio down the track but I have forgotten what the tie up was. There was one on the bay of evil that went for around $600 I think. A quick search of "Ponto Vecchio Expot" got me a price of $850 USD so circa $1000-1200 AUD landed NEW would be a fair retail. That should help you set a price.

Some of us Lever type nerds might make you an offer if it comes up not that a need a 4th one ::)

I believe Ponte Vecchio inherited a lot of the Sama tooling and equipment and continued the club design. There is a plastic cover inside the machine to protect the electronics- it is marked with the Sama" logo. However Ponte Vecchio seem to have been behind redesigning the group head with a smaller 45mm PF- and it is a huge improvement over the earlier Sama groups. It really makes the lever design much more forgiving.

I have now realised this size of PF dates right back to the Gaggia Gilda machine- the first ever domestic espresso machine. This is also nearly the same size used by Caravel for their brilliant lever machines (43mm).

I notice that you mention that the PF doesnt fit the ponte vecheo. If I wanted something a bit snazzier than bakerlite what are the options? I realise that a pullman would do the job but convincing my wife of how well is the tough part. ::)

Well - the easiest and cheapest option would be to cut/file the included bakelite tamper to size. They supply a 49mm tamper- with a 45mm machine...?? go figure. The other end of the tamper is around 40mm and you can use that.

On my PV machine I use an old light weight bakelite 45mm tamper and it works fine.

BTW- for all those that were interested in the single lever machine: it is gone ;). If you still want one PM so I can arrange a new shipment.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4C504D4D5A514B56515E5C5059595A5A3F0 link=1265525881/32#32 date=1266907908
    Well - the easiest and cheapest option would be to cut/file the included bakelite tamper to size. They supply a 49mm tamper- with a 45mm machine...?? go figure. The other end of the tamper is around 40mm and you can use that.

On my PV machine I use an old light weight bakelite 45mm tamper and it works fine.

BTW- for all those that were interested in the single lever machine: it is gone ;). If you still want one PM so I can arrange a new shipment.
    What is your preference / recommendation -

The issue of Functionality Vs Cost is the concern for me... *

My main machine (DCM) is in the kitchen.. *The deck is accessed via the kitchen...

But when people come over, the issue of moving too and fro is a pain... But then again so is space ?

1: Single OR

2: Dual

PS. Bragging rights says a dual *8-)

PPS. *I am about 3 months away from having enough coin put away to afford either or....

Ive got a single group Ponte Vecchio Lusso and love it, but if I had my time again Id get the two group. Mainly for back to back coffee pours. The Lusso doesnt have a 3 way solenoid so it takes a couple of minutes for the the group to depressurise.
    It is a surprisingly small machine and I thought the 2 group might be a bit crowded, but I havent used one so Im not sure if that is the case.
    Lots of steam power, but not an articulating steam wand. You get used to it after a while.
    The drip tray borders on annoying. There just arent enough holes so the water pools on top. For the most part I use a 600ml milk jug to catch excess water flushed through the group.
    Im still learning how to drive mine, but I think Im becoming a lever person *:)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 4F545D4E575E53453C0 link=1265525881/34#34 date=1273570164
    Ive got a single group Ponte Vecchio Lusso and love it, but if I had my time again Id get the two group. Mainly for back to back coffee pours. The Lusso doesnt have a 3 way solenoid so it takes a couple of minutes for the the group to depressurise.
    It is a surprisingly small machine and I thought the 2 group might be a bit crowded, but I havent used one so Im not sure if that is the case.
    Lots of steam power, but not an articulating steam wand. You get used to it after a while.
    The drip tray borders on annoying. There just arent enough holes so the water pools on top. For the most part I use a 600ml milk jug to catch excess water flushed through the group.
    Im still learning how to drive mine, but I think Im becoming a lever person *:)
    Arrrr Just the sort of feedback I was looking for..

Sounds like a Dual is in the pipeline...

The reviews also mentioned the tray.. Have not seen ultra close up... But can it be modded or replaced with a different style without too much extra effort ?

Wsully... My annual celebration of the day I first saw daylight is fast approaching... My order is for a LEVER :D Ya need to hint to my wife ;)

Caffeine Junky

Am glad you asked the questions AM and even moreso for your responses Framey. It may sound strange but Im contemplating between a Lusso and VBM DB Jr for my next machine. Completely different instruments I know.

The Lusso looks big but when you read the dimensions you realise how small it is and am surprised there is room for 2 groups.

My other issue is that I have never even used a lever so I guess it would be nice to have a play, ideally with a Lusso otherwise any other type of lever. I think I have the personality to become obsessed with them.

Quote Originally Posted by 5B5A50435D5842310 link=1265525881/36#36 date=1273572742
    I think I have the personality to become obsessed with them.
    Welcome to my mania :D

As the shot size is a little smaller than the normal 30-60ml then definately the 2 group if you want to bang out a few while entertaining.

The reviews also mentioned the tray.. *Have not seen ultra close up... But can it be modded or replaced with a different style without too much extra effort ?
    First thought was to drill lots more holes in the drip tray, but having drilled stainless before Im hesitant to go that way. Thought number two was to have a large section of the tray cut out and replaced with mesh, but this sounds pricey. So far I find the 600ml milk jug the best drip tray.
    NB: The drip tray volume is quite low too.

My other issue is that I have never even used a lever so I guess it would be nice to have a play, ideally with a Lusso otherwise any other type of lever. *I think I have the personality to become obsessed with them.
    I noticed you are in Adelaide and Sorrentina Coffee are in Adelaide and sell the Lusso... not sure if they have a demo model but might be worth a phone call.

I have been using the PV club for about a month now and I really like it. There were some teething issues at first with an ill fitting washer on the the p-stat that I eventually changed after several attempts to get it to work. Aside from that it hasnt missed a beat. It is very easy to get naked and work on if necessary. A friend from work has turned one of the group handles so I can work naked and I am feeling the groove enough now to have one finishing, one pouring and be steaming milk all at once. It is easy to use easy to clean and quite compact for a 2 group. I think mania may soon cover it

A_M

I am so going here..

Hooked and none even in Qld to the best of my understanding..

It is very easy to get naked and work on if necessary
    Photos please ;D

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 644B42405768444B44424048404B51250 link=1265525881/40#40 date=1273758026
    I am so going here..

I hear you AM. I really want to see one in the metal.
    Its simple, wide and has 2 arms.....must remind me of myself.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 2322283B25203A490 link=1265525881/42#42 date=1273794971
    Quote Originally Posted by 644B42405768444B44424048404B51250 link=1265525881/40#40 date=1273758026
    I am so going here..

I hear you AM. *I really want to see one in the metal.
    giggled like a schoolgirl..

My wife has enough dealing with me and the other woman - BF1942..

If she was to hear me refer to another as per your description...

"simple, wide and has 2 arms"

I think I would find it very hard to explain *:D ;D ;) 8-)

Wine_of_the_Bean

Better than saying 2 legs and always pointing up... ::)

[QUOTE=77767C6F71746E1D0 link=1265525881/42#42 date=1273794971]

Hey maybe Jack is willing to show a couple of us locals the machine in the flesh? Im really interested in this machine as well, and having also never used a lever machine, it would be nice to get a few pointers just to shorten the learning curve a little.

As a side note, I went to Bar Nine a couple of weekends ago, and had an espresso from their lever machine...mmm...yum.

Caffeine Junky

[QUOTE=776E696077686960070 link=1265525881/45#45 date=1273798352]
    Quote Originally Posted by 77767C6F71746E1D0 link=1265525881/42#42 date=1273794971

Hey maybe Jack is willing to show a couple of us locals the machine in the flesh? Im really interested in this machine as well, and having also never used a lever machine, it would be nice to get a few pointers just to shorten the learning curve a little.

As a side note, I went to Bar Nine a couple of weekends ago, and had an espresso from their lever machine...mmm...yum.
    I sent him a PM the other day, havent heard back. When Im more close to buying Ill give him a call and maybe we can arrange to go together. Assuming hes open to the idea.

Still havent managed to get to Bar 9, really must do that soon.

Jack, way back at the start of this thread you promised a video...

How is your home PV Lusso going? Any trouble in the time since you started this thread?

Any owners out there that can give a little review?

Im thinking this could be the evolutionary step up from my Presso one day. I like being able to control the pressure / speed of the pour.

James
    SniffCoffee

Jack

another question: how easy is it to empty the boiler? *Someone on coffeegeek suggested draining the boiler daily to avoid getting a metallic taste to the water? *:-?

Sniff

Quote Originally Posted by 2D332B2630332829470 link=1265525881/48#48 date=1278602113
    how easy is it to empty the boiler?
    As it only weighs 12 kg turn it upside down over the sink ;) Personally I wouldnt worry about it to much if you have a reasonable turnover of the 3l boiler (1-150ml per milk drink). If you are just drinking one single espresso per day or leaving it sit for a week or so then it may be worth it or if your local water supply is not to flash (buy a better filter).

New Users thoughts on one http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1266878906/23#23

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast