Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Nuova Simonelli Musica

Re: Nuova Simonelli Musica

Hi CJ - Im curious as to why a step down? *From what I can see, its still an HX machine and the internals *appear* to be quite the same. *The only real difference from what I can see is that its button controlled, rather than lever controlled. (PS - I dont mean that in a challenging sense, Id just like to hear your thoughts as to why you consider it a downgrade.)

With the Levers, from what Ive been told, really they still work on a switch, but its just that its been prettied up to have a lever on it.

Probably the main downside I can see of the Musica is, as Chris said, *that its going back to electronics side of the house so theres more to go wrong, I guess. Having said that, if a board on the Maver goes, its a damn big and expensive job to replace it.

I dont know. The big attractant for me is the toggle swich for the steam, rather than a knob. *And it looks pretty, especially the Lux version (Ive always been attrracted to bling!)

Sofaras its just a rebadged Oscar, I dont know if you remember Chris, but I was actually going to go for the Oscar when I bought the Maver, but you came through with an offer I couldnt resist, so the fact that its a step up from an Oscar doesnt worry me - theyre not known for being particularly problematic. *The big difference between the Oscar and the Musica is (a) the Musica is Stainless rather than plastic and (b) it has the hot water arm, both of which were the slightly down sides of it for me when I was looking at the Oscar two years ago.

But, anyway, its just conjecture at the moment, anyway - I cant do anything about it for at least another 3-6 months, Im just starting early with the homework. My ultimate would be the Izzo Alex, but my budget just wont stretch that far at all with both children in School as of this year, so a $3,000 school fee bill every 2.5 months or so! * :P

Another question to add to my list above:-

5. *What size is the group handle? *I cant find this information anywhere - 58mm?

Cheers
    Di

Caffeine Junky

Quote Originally Posted by 7C5B4D5F47340 link=1274839714/50#50 date=1296870149
    Hi CJ - Im curious as to why a step down?
    I guess it was more of a question rather than a statement. I have not used (or even seen) either machine so certainly cant speak with any authority. From reading this thread and some other comments elsewhere it sounds like the Musica may have some teething problems with build quality.

As always you tend to hear the few bad stories rather than the many good ones so this may be an unfair comment. My Oscar is certainly a very solid and reliable machine.

I certainly wouldnt assume a machine will perform well just because it is a HX.

I am pretty sure the Musica has a 58mm group, just like the Oscar.

Have you considered the La Spaz Mini Vivaldi II? It has a lever for steam but quite a big footprint. I had the bench space I would seriously consider it and I love the look of it.

Thanks, CJ - Ill go have a look at one. As I say, its all just research at the moment.

Caffeine Junky

Very interested to hear the results of your research. Some of the newer model bezzeras also have a switch instead of a knob, although I think you have to hold them to keep the steam coming. I dont like the idea of that as I generally keep two hands on the jug.

Hope the Quaha is still ticking along :)

It certainly is, thanks! *It will probably be sacrificed some time in the future to build up funds for the replacement, as will the Maver, of course.

I cant say Id like the thought of having to hold the toggle for the steam, either. I dont hold the jug with two hands, but I usually do put the jug down once Ive finished surfing to come up to heat and empty out the Group Handle and clean it.

Ill let you know how I go...

Di,

The Musica has 58mm group handles, but the lugs are at 7 and 2 oclock, making the group handles incompatible with an e61 group head and visa versa.

The Aurealia is the same. Im not sure, perhaps Caffeine Junky might be able to confirm, I suspect the Oscar is the same.

Sorry missed some of this as I was off line. I have now had the Musica for a few months. I have found it (after the teething problems) to be a very capable machine. Over Christmas it was used and abused making many cups a day and never missed a beat. As to the handle you get used to it. It is not so different bit at first is a little hard to locate the lugs. However after a couple of days no issues.

I like the steam lever, you can give a quick blast as the lever does not lock until it gets to a certain point or you lock it to do full jug, which mean you do not have to hold it.. I find it easier that others I have used. Also with the buttons if you want to regulate you use the manual button and if you want the machine then you use the auto buttons.

Over Christmas whilst I was working my guests very quickly learnt how to use it correctly. I am very happy with my purchase now after the teething issues. However the service was great from the sponsor from whom I bought it.

Thanks Acog - thats really interesting to know about the lugs and makes me scratch my head a bit at why they would do that? The only thing I can think of is aesthetics so that the group handle is pointing directly out at 90 degrees (I assume).

Stan - good to hear youre going well with it. And interesting to note about the steam toggle not locking in place until it reaches a certain point. Clever of them to think of that, because it would make it a lot easier to purge the wand to clean it.

Quote Originally Posted by 0E293F2D35460 link=1274839714/50#50 date=1296870149
    Probably the main downside I can see of the Musica is, as Chris said, *that its going back to electronics side of the house so theres more to go wrong, I guess. Having said that, if a board on the Maver goes, its a damn big and expensive job to replace it.
    I wouldnt get too worried about the electronics side of things Di... :)

The extra control required is minimal and the Flow Rate Sender would be the only additional hardware. These are very simple devices and typically quite robust. Of course, it is an additional item to include in any ongoing maintenance regime but in the case of so-called Flow Sensors, this is only an inspection for the most part and in every 5-10 years or so, it may need to be removed, cleaned and reinstalled. Not really a biggy in a domestic situation.... ::)

If, in the end, it ticks most of the (important) boxes for you, then I wouldnt have any qualms over the quality of the machine itself. From everything Ive been able to research on the Musica, the teething troubles have been mostly very minor in nature and as they say, fore-warned is fore-armed so you know what to bring to the bargaining table... ;)

Cheers Mate,
    Mal.

It does make purging very easy. My wife hardly ever made the coffee with the Sunbeam but now is very accomplished and is making better foam than me. So I personally would recommend spending some time with a Sponsor and have a look at it and compare with other HX machines. It has a style all to its own and as stated makes a very good coffee. Most (Sponsors) will allow you to have a play with the different machines and you will quickly work out which style you want.

Quote Originally Posted by 585A565E5E50574A390 link=1274839714/55#55 date=1296883392
    The Musica has 58mm group handles, but the lugs are at 7 and 2 oclock
    Would that be 7 and 1?

Quote Originally Posted by 1824392228293E2B23284C0 link=1274839714/60#60 date=1296894163
    Would that be 7 and 1?
    Quite right. Looks like Id be late to the party.

Id love to know more about this so called soft preinfusion they try and sell. the marketing material mentions it for the Aurelia also, but theres no technical detail on what it actually is. I know for the Kees van Der Westen machines, you can go to the website and read in detail the engineering of the machines, no secrets, and his pre-infusion is described in detail.

Ill try again - I had a reply all typed out and then my internet decided to clap out on me. Gotta love WiFi!

Not sure what soft preinfusion is about either - none of the brochures or tech docs on the NS website mention it at all, so maybe just misinformation? The closest I could find was it mentioned soft touch buttons and programmable preinfusion (where you could turn the preinfusion on or off - why is anyones guess?).

Thanks for the wise words, as usual, Mal - its always good to hear a different perspective, and youve reassured me no end in respect of the electronics.

Id reckon that so-called "Soft Infusion" refers to the programmable nature of this feature, in that it isnt a hard and fast mechanical setting as found in the E-61 Group and others.

A fairly common term when used in relation to programmable function..... ;)

Mal.

And 6 days to go or thereabouts until it turns up on a pallet...except one with pretty LED lights. *:)

WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!
    :D :D :D

Quote Originally Posted by 4C6B7D6F77040 link=1274839714/64#64 date=1298018842
    And 6 days to go or thereabouts until it turns up on a pallet...except one with pretty LED lights. *:)

WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!
    :D :D :D

Wow Di,

Congrats mate *[smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

Hope it is everything you expect *;)

Chris

awaiting a parcel as well, but not a machine.....

Good luck with the new purchase. I also bought a Synesso basket as I found that with the standard basket I couldnt get a shot without water on top. with the Synesso I immediately got good results. Also as I was buying the basket I treated myself to a Barista Tamper. One has to do what one has to do. :D

Good luck with the new machine Di [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    kazbah likes this.

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 496E786A72010 link=1274839714/64#64 date=1298018842
    And 6 days to go or thereabouts until it turns up on a pallet...except one with pretty LED lights. *

WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!

Oh bugger.... That is before teh Brisbane CS meet and Greet... That means we are all going to here about the new TOY ;D ;D ;D

So what did Pete get in return ?

If youre not careful, Ill bring it with me!!! :) re Pete...nothing!!! Thats the good thing about being the MoF in the household... ;) (Well, more truthfully, the Minister of cracking it when one has PMS so that the husband isnt game enough to protest in case he gets his head snapped off! :) )

Thanks Stan - I currently have a Synesso Basket, Pullman Tamper, Espro Tamper and Demeral Tamper, so definitely no shortage of tampers with my machine! Oh, and Ill get a new placky presser one, of course, that NS have kindly supplied in the box...definitely a keeper! ::)

5 days and counting...so excited!

kazbah likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 75524748260 link=1274839714/66#66 date=1298191475
    Good luck with the new purchase.* I also bought a Synesso basket as I found that with the standard basket I couldnt get a shot without water on top.* with the Synesso I immediately got good results.* Also as I was buying the basket I treated myself to a Barista Tamper.* One has to do what one has to do.* :D

Good luck with the new machine Di [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    Hi Stan just a quick question about the Synesso, did you buy the Synesso Double Basket (Ridgeless) - 14g and did you have to change the spring in the porter holder as well ?
    Thanks in advance.

The main reason is I had decided to buy a Barista Tamper and to make things certain as to sizing I bought the Synesso double basket (14gm ridgeless). But I did find that I went from wet pucks to dry just by the change. I am still using the original spring and it works. I did buy the spring but havent fitted it as the Musica springs works.

Congratulations Di.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Pretty sure youre going to love using this machine - and it does look very distinctive into the bargain. Have fun mate.... 8-)

Mal.

Its here, its here!!! Currently warming up ready for its first run through, with pretty LEDs all alight. :D

Ill post photos and my first impressions probably tomorrow afternoon or Sunday, once Ive had time to pull multiple shots and put it through its paces. It will be compared against a 6910 and my Maver - two ends of the scale.

Its really, really purdy... :)

A_M

Quote Originally Posted by 02253321394A0 link=1274839714/72#72 date=1298619937
    Its really, really purdy...*
    Congrats* *;D

As to pics... Just framed not mounted, thanks* ::)

And do you even remember what teh EM6910 was like... Not that your getting OLD* :D

Congrats,

I didnt get the model with the LEDs. Not into that much Bling. But it will certainly light up your life.

Ahem, youll always be older than me, AM! 8-)

Stan - the bling is lovely, but they will probably get turned off after the newness of it wears off. But, for the price I got it for, which was $400 less than the standard version, I cant complain about LED lights! Actually, just a bit of a whinge - theyre more white than blue...I LOVE blue LEDs. (Hmmm, must get AM to look at changing bulbs for me... :) )

Stan or ors - is there some trick to getting the drip tray out? It doesnt say how in the manual and it feels somehow locked in, but after running half a tank of water through it to flush it out on its first run, it could probably do with being emptied.

Cheers
    Di
    kazbah likes this.

PS: Tray worked out. You push back slightly and then lift out, as theres a minor hooking system so it doesnt just come out willy-nilly. I wish theyd put that sort of thing in the manual!

First impressions:

LED Lights and dimming - I thought you could dim the side panel lights, but it appears as though you can only dim the button LEDs...

Lugs - funnily enough, its pretty much where the Maver went it, so no great difference for me there - in fact, if anything its a slight bit easier to get it in the right spot the first go.

Group Handle basket - shallower than the one on my Maver. The Synesso basket still fits in, though, so it must be that theres less air space between the bottom of the basket and the spout top.

Steaming - on the one go that I had, seemed to heat the milk quite a bit quicker. Definitely no problems with switching the steam on and off and creating bubbles - a heck of a lot easier actually, because youre not reaching over and turn, turn, turning! Steam wand is on a 360 degree swivel and is a bit longer than the Maver. One thing Ill have to get used to is the steam wand is on the right, rather than the left.

Just wish I could make another coffee - I only had a chance to have one before 6.30pm hit. :( Might have to have a hot choc just so I can have another go at the steaming, at least!

As my tap dance teacher says:-

Happy Days!

kazbah likes this.

Congrats Di, am sure you will enjoy the machine and the many great coffees to come. look forward to the pics 8-)

The drip tray should be in the manual but if you lift the front (a little) it pops out. I would have liked to have a deeper drip tray but other than that and the minor teething issues I love it. It makes very repeatable great coffee. :D By the way what is wrong with a coffee after 6.30pm :-/

:) It keeps me awake until midnight, at least, which isnt really that marvellous when you have to be up at 5.00am to get lunches made, children ready for school and be out of the door by 6.30am...

I think the main mistake I was making with the drip tray is trying to lift it up from the very bottom which, of course, doesnt work because there is an unmoveable metal plate underneath it!

Stan, do you find that there is a little bit of water leakage around the back left hand side of the drip tray, under the machine, at all? Mine gets a little puddle under there (about 50 cent piece size) once Ive made a coffee, so Im thinking it may be related to the overflow pipe...

Cheers
    Di

No never had that problem.

However the mechanic told me never to fill the water reservoir whilst it was in the machine. But I noticed that when to pull it out a few drops of water fall onto the floor of the machine. This may be the cause of your little puddle. I dry it (the floor of the machine) when I remove the water container.

No, no water when I fill it up, just when I pull a shot and its right underneath the back corner of the drip tray, which is why I think it may be the overflow. Its not a steady puddle, just a shot puddle, if you get my meaning!

A little later tonight, Ill post a review. Im just in the middle of making dinner (lasagna, yum!!!), showering kidlets, etc at the moment.

Cheers
    Di

Review all written and now under the Machine Reviews thread in the Brewing Equipment - Non Specific area if anyones interested.

Cheers
    Di

Hi I am considering of getting Musica for a home use. Does anyone know of any existing known problem with the machine and any suggestion of a good supplier to get it from?
    thanks,

George

Welcome George.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Why not read this thread from the beginning? :-? Theres some comprehensive information available from current owners.... 8-)

Mal.

Just reading through this thread and thought how stunning this machine is :o love a bit of bling!!

The Musica owners - now that you have all owned and used this machine for over a month, just wondering how you are still finding it? Do you still love it as much as you did in the beginning?

Certainly do - its an absolute pleasure to use: Im still completely and utterly in lurve.... :)

Cheers
    Di
    kazbah likes this.

It is as easy to use as the Sunbeam and makes very consistent coffee. Once the teething problems were resolved it has been faultless. I am probably liking it more and more the longer I have it. 8-)

You know I saw one of these at Di Bella last week, and I have to say, in my eyes possibly the most sexy home machine I have ever seen...

Although I even think the Oscar look good in a plastic fantastic sort of way, its likely Im a rare breed who finds some of the raw looking machine, well kind of raw.

No kidding though, if I could justify the outlay, Id own one over my newly acquired Lelit, so maybe when Im ready for an upgrade into serious town...

matblack

I pulled a few shots on one of these the other day. Impressions: I liked the steam wand and its purge function. There is no PID but I didnt find it difficult to pull a pretty good shortie. I had a PID before so that would be a drawcard in a machine for me. But it didnt seem to matter that much.
    Id probably pimp the spout, its not great.
    I like the look. I would like blue LED backlight but Im not sure if they offer that?
    It pulls pretty comparable shots to the Appia, which is a more expensive Nuova machine, also boxier & probably slightly less attractive.
    I dont know. I figure if youre not going to spend $10k on a commercial quality machine, you have to make compromises on your home machine.
    I liked it.

Matblack,

I would not consider it a compromise. You can manage the pour yourself or use the preset function so you get the best of both worlds. I found it a very easy machine to use and it was not complicated hence my better half now uses it as much as I do. It is a HX machine therefore I see it as an alternative to the traditional style machines. Whilst it is at the lower end of the scale for purchase price I believe you still get an excellent machine - but then again I am biased as I own one. :)

According to the mechanic who fixed the teething issues (see the other thread), it has commercial quality parts internally.

Hey all my fellow NS Musica owners - has anyone chemically backflushed their machine yet? I did it last night, but Im not sure if I did it correctly - the E61 Maver was a little bit easier to work out because you could use the pressure guage as an indicator of how long to backflush for, and you could see the results immediately because the release valve was obvious, so you could see when it was clean.

Basically last night, I just put some cleaner in the blind basket, turned it on for about 15 seconds and then back off again, repeated two more times, then did the same without any cleaner for another 4-5 minutes to clean it out.

Cheers
    Di

I do mine every 2-3 weeks. I use caffetto and do as you did but I also ran a lot of water through afterwards. I found that chemical was still coming out after 3 -5 flushes with the blind filter. So I ran water through it for about 5 minutes (emptied the resevoir). May be I am using to much cleaner :-/ 1.5 measures (spoon came with the container).

Thanks Stan, good to know. It amazed me that a company as big and caffeine-driven made absolutely no mention of backflushing in their manual!

Re the amount of cleaner - with the Musica and also previously with the Maver - half a teaspoon (or probably 3/4 of a scoop) is more than enough to clean out the machine. Id hazard a guess as to youre overdoing it a bit and thats why its taking you so long to get the chemical taste out of the machine afterwards. Mine only took about 5 times running through clean water shots, plus I ran some water through for a little while before I pulled my shot the next morning (probably about 10 seconds worth) and there wasnt any chemical taste at all.

Cheers
    Di

Ive only ever used teaspoon, about half-a-scoop from the Cafetto tub. I do clean my machines weekly though, never let it drag out longer than that.

Its not really about the quantity of coffee you put through the machine you know, its more to do with the oxidation processes of coffee oils left behind. This progresses at the same rate regardless of the amount of espresso shots made and the ongoing heating/cooling cycles accelerate its transformation into a kind of tar.... :P Nasty stuff indeed :(

Mal.

I use half a Cafetto scoop and follow the instructions on the tub. ie 5 runs at 5sec on, 15sec off. Then flush out blind filter and then run 10 times 5sec on, 2 sec off.

I was doing this religiously weekly then read another thread saying that fortnightly was sufficient (since I only do 2-4 coffees a day).

Then flush again the the first pour tip out. Never had any chemically aftertaste.

Am more concerned about when it comes time to do a descale - think I will find a local tech to do that.

The manual leaves a lot to be desired :o

OK I will only use 1/2 a measure in future. Thanks - previously had a sunbeam and they had tablets so I never had to measure.

I to am a bit worried about a descale as I am getting close to that stage. Any suggestions as I dont think it would be that difficult? ::)

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 5C7B6E610F0 link=1274839714/96#96 date=1308300508
    OK I will only use 1/2 a measure in future.* Thanks - previously had a sunbeam and they had tablets so I never had to measure.

I to am a bit worried about a descale as I am getting close to that stage.* Any suggestions as I dont think it would be that difficult? ::)
    Hi Stan,

Have a read over http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1274615034

Not as easy as youd think with HX and dual boiler machines....

Cheers

Chris

Thanks I am looking as I type , the post that you referred me to looks like a grinder post. I will do a search and see what comes up thanks.

Id also suggest that you should only need to descale every twelve months or so if you use filtered water and, that being the case, it would probably be a good time to get the machine serviced as well.

I figure that a service every year or two is well worth it and only a really minor amount to pay in comparison to the initial outlay - you get a well oiled (well, cleaned, anyway!) machine back.

Cheers
    Di

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast