Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Nuova Simonelli Musica

Caffeine Junky

Nuova Simonelli Musica

I was at a non-sponsor shop this morning where the owners are always up for a chat. I mentioned I’m in the market for a new machine and was encouraged to consider the new Nuova Simonelli Musica which they’re about to take shipment of.

I prefer traditional styling in my machines so don’t think I’d ever consider it but I was surprised by the competitive pricing. Apparently the RRP for the standard version will be $2200 (without the LCD screen).

Copper boiler is 2L, 3L tank and a decent 1L drain.
    According to the NS website it has ‘Programmable Boiler Temp’ which I assume means it is PID controlled?

One thing that did concern me was that according to the importer/distributor the ‘Lux’ version with the LCD screen has a lot of issues and the shop owner said they wouldn’t be selling them at this stage for that reason.

Would be interested to hear opinions from sponsors or CS members who’ve had a chance to play with this model. Javaphile saw it in the metal at the SCAA recently and I’ve taken the liberty of re-posting his photo.

A_M

Re: Nuova Simonelli Musica

Lot on the web with lots of comments and this Vs its younger sibling the Oscar ? Seems like a make over and a few slight changes ???

As to ‘Programmable Boiler Temp’ and "Thermocompensated group /
    Electronic pre-infusion system "

Lots of buz words that may or may not be as one thinks..

Have a look at the electrical and teh flow diag and then read the manual / programming options..

One says ONE does not.. User manual Vs marketing and WORDS....

No pid or programmable that I could see / find :-X

Careful as to Got to have Toys.

That is a very good looking machine--in a non-traditional style. Id certainly be prepared to put one in my kitchen, providing it made good coffee. :)

According to the programming manual there is no boiler temp programming! :(

And as far as I can see the Lux version has no LCD screen, it has LED-lit side stripes!

Greg

Caffeine Junky

I think its a great looking machine too, just not one Id probably buy for myself. Would look very nice in a modern kitchen, which I dont have. Can just picture lots of people with more money than sense buying this machine then using pre-ground Vittoria.

At $2200 only the Expobar Office SA is cheaper for a volumetric HX machine. Looks like there may also be a plumb-in version according the brochure.
    kazbah likes this.

levercrema

Look o.k. in a Miele kitchen maybe. Other than that pretty ordinary I reckon. Like something you would see in Harvey Norman next to the Sunbeams and Saecos...Probly makes reasonable coffee.

Don

Wega Mininova Classic Seeya_Latte's Avatar

I wonder if marketing got it wrong.....I reckon "NS Wurlitzer" sounds better

levercrema

Quote Originally Posted by 6D5B5B475F61725F4A4A5B3E0 link=1274839714/5#5 date=1275004760
    I wonder if marketing got it wrong.....I reckon "NS Wurlitzer" sounds better
    Nah, Wurlies are fondly remembered. There again so were Edsels, although not so fondly.

Hello all,

I think my ears are burning here as we are importing and distributing the Musica (as well as being a CS sponsor of course!)

Infact Caffenie Junky, I think I might know who you saw as we had an Adelaide business order a few from us just the other week.

Being careful not to turn this into a sales pitch there are a couple of things worth noting:
    The Musica does not have an LED screen, it does have an LED surround that is purely cosmetic. There have not been any problems at all with the LED, and it is perhaps my only my own experience that I realyed to the store in Adelaide that has been misinterpreted.
    To explain, we have had two pre production models of the Musica here since Februrary, and I have spent countless hours playing, adjusting and changing settings. What I did find was that after about four hours of playing with the LED model one night my eyes started to hurt just as they would if you were reading by a dim light. In normal circumstrances no one is going to spend four hours staring at and playing with a coffee machine in a dark room, so I wouldnt call this a fault with the machine. Asthetically the LED looks great, and it can be turned off manually
    There is not a programable boiler temperature/PID. Temperature/pressure adjustment is by a manual preostat. A Sirai presostat is also available
    It has volumetric dosing that is programable
    Pre infusion can be turned on or off
    Group handles are the same commercial ones as on the Appia and Aurelia

The internals are similar to the Oscar, infact it is the same 2l boiler. The Oscar has a good reptation for producing great shots, but falls down in looks and some features.
    The Musica uses the internals of the Oscar and adds:
    Stainless body rather then plastic
    A hot water tap
    Volumetric dosing

At $2200 it fits into a nice price range for an HX volumetric machine

Happy to clear up any other points or questions

Cheers all

Antony

Caffeine Junky

Hi Antony thanks for clearing that up, I was concerned about relaying negative information 3rd hand on a public forum. In hindsight I should have kept it to myself

As an Oscar owner I agree it is capable for producing excellent shots. If the Musica uses the same reliable internals with a much more attractive exterior and more functions, it could be a winner at that price.

That machine looks awesome! I agree that it would have to be a modern kitchen to really fit in with anything, but it really looks good. And if it has the same internals as the Oscar it could probably make a big dent in the Hx market.

@Lamborghini - does it also have a manual function? Or is it purely volumetric?

Quote Originally Posted by 342C297E7F460 link=1274839714/9#9 date=1275200260
    @Lamborghini - does it also have a manual function? Or is it purely volumetric?
    from the pics it seems that there is a manual shot button in the middle...
    you can always also program the double shot button (for eg) to run far too long and then use it as a manual shot button anyways

Correct. The middle button is a manual stop/start button

Does this machine have an ant-vac valve? It was/is annoying that the oscar does not have one.

Yes, the Musica has an anti-vac valve

Gra

Found this pic of the Musica all lit up they certainly are a nice modern looking machine..

Caffeine Junky

Nice looking pic. I admire NS for offering something a little fresh looking compared to other domestic HX options on the market. There are a lot of similar-ish looking machines out there, especially the E61 lever machines, which I guess is inevitable when they all share the same 9lb clump of chromed brass.

Maybe it won’t be popular amongst the snobs, but in reality we are just one niche of the market.

Im a nubie here but Im picking one of these up here in Adelaide on Thursday and hope to report some favourable comments (I hope).

I have had one for a month. *Very easy to make excellent coffee, however I have had some issues. *The heating element that was fitted to mine had a copper clip (according to the mechanic) over the element and as it heated and cooled it rubbed a hole though and *shorted out the element. *He stated that the replacement did not have this clip. *I got it back and no issues for a week and a half - now tonight the lights are on but the boiler will not build up pressure.

I will have it back to the mechanic tomorrow - all on warranty. *I purchased from a sponsor and they have been helpful in organising the service as I am some distance from them.

As I stated for a HX machine I have found it very easy to use. *I previously had an EM6910 and only had to fine down the grind a little and was getting coffee to die for. *I have even had a couple of espresso shots from it as they are quite palatable even to me, as I normally drink double shot Lattes. The factory settings were just fine in my opinion and I do not believe it needs any adjustment as it is capable of producing coffee better than any shop I have bought espresso from and certainly better than what I got from the Sunbeam.

I will wait until I get it back from the mechanic after this latest issue - the Sponsor has stated they will make sure that the service people go right over it. *As I stated whilst I have had these issues, the machine was probably made on a Monday. *Hopefully once they fix it, this time it will go forever. *I would still recommend it to others and I think having bought from a Sponsor they have been supportive throughout the ordeal. *Just means I will not have any coffee for a couple of days except for Plunger coffee. *

Quote Originally Posted by 6344515E300 link=1274839714/17#17 date=1291796775
    I have had one for a month. *Very easy to make excellent coffee, however I have had some issues. *The heating element that was fitted to mine had a copper clip (according to the mechanic) over the element and as it heated and cooled it rubbed a hole though and *shorted out the element. *He stated that the replacement did not have this clip. *I got it back and no issues for a week and a half - now tonight the lights are on but the boiler will not build up pressure.

I will have it back to the mechanic tomorrow - all on warranty. *I purchased from a sponsor and they have been helpful in organising the service as I am some distance from them.

As I stated for a HX machine I have found it very easy to use. *I previously had an EM6910 and only had to fine down the grind a little and was getting coffee to die for. *I have even had a couple of espresso shots from it as they are quite palatable even to me, as I normally drink double shot Lattes. The factory settings were just fine in my opinion and I do not believe it needs any adjustment as it is capable of producing coffee better than any shop I have bought espresso from and certainly better than what I got from the Sunbeam.

I will wait until I get it back from the mechanic after this latest issue - the Sponsor has stated they will make sure that the service people go right over it. *As I stated whilst I have had these issues, the machine was probably made on a Monday. *Hopefully once they fix it, this time it will go forever. *I would still recommend it to others and I think having bought from a Sponsor they have been supportive throughout the ordeal. *Just means I will not have any coffee for a couple of days except for Plunger coffee. *
    Not what I wanted to hear , hope they get yours right once and for all.

Groover - I have got my Musica back it turns out that a fusible link blew the mechanic said that it was probably damaged when the element shorted and worked for a little time and then gave up. I will wait and see. At this stage (two cups) it is working better than new so I will see how it goes.

It still makes excellent coffee and seems to have more steam pressure than when I first got it.

Thanks Stan
    Just got mine and Im in Heaven. The only thing I wasnt ready for is I have to leave the machine turned on for 20 minutes before making coffee........... Ah !!!! (I was used to my Sunbeam which had a thermo block (I WAS DONE IN 2 MINUTES !)

Quote Originally Posted by 514643460603300 link=1274839714/20#20 date=1292802102
    (I was used to my Sunbeam which had a thermo block(I WAS DONE IN 2 MINUTES !) *
    If youd have let the Sunbeam warm up for 20 minutes the coffee would have tasted better.

You do miss the quick warm up of the Sunbeam but it is not to long to wait :-/. I just do other things to take my mind off waiting like make breakfast.

Yep your probably right.

Hi Guys just wondering if your steaming wand is a lot looser than your hot water wand ? Mine is and Im just wondering if this is right .
    Cheers

The steam wand on mine is easier to move than the hot water wand but I wouldnt say it was loose.

Good to hear, thanks again.

Hope you enjoy the machine.

Hey Guys
    Just one more question. When I got the machine I was making perfect milk micro foam for my cappuccinos. NOW for some silly reason I cant quite get it right. :o
    Do you guys use full cream milk or skimmed milk ? Do you tilt the milk jug so you get a swirling effect and is the nozzle of the steaming wand just under the surface of the milk when you start heating ?
    Yeah I know it was more than one question ! :)

Had the same problem. *I find that I need to keep the milk jug level . *My wife however has never had a problem. *I also found that I had to have the steam head a lower in the milk that the Sunbeam other wise I made foam that was nearly solid. ;) By the way since the last repair in December it has been making nearly a dozen cups a day and has worked perfectly. (We had visitors that have stayed and stayed and stayed, mainly due to the floods in Rocky.)
    kazbah likes this.

looked at one of these today as a possible upgrade from the 6910. I like the looks but might wait and see how they go for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by 6C4B5E513F0 link=1274839714/29#29 date=1294214306
    Had the same problem. *I find that I need to keep the milk jug level . *My wife however has never had a problem. *I also found that I had to have the steam head a lower in the milk that the Sunbeam other wise I made foam that was nearly solid. ;) *By the way since the last repair in December it has been making nearly a dozen cups a day and has worked perfectly. *(We had visitors that have stayed and stayed and stayed, mainly due to the floods in Rocky.) *
    Cheers Stan
    Do you use full cream or skim milk and what is your wifes secret ?

We use Low fat milk - regarding the wifes secret - it is a secret apparently. I am now producing consistent foam and I am happy but all I do differently to the Em6910 is place the wand a little deeper

Hey Stan
    I just found this thread on tips how to make micro foam, mate let me tell you IT WORKS !!!!
    Im a happy chappy now !
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1220959662

Dont forget a lot of it comes down to what you do once youve stopped steaming. Milk separates quickly so you need to keep combining the milk by swirling the jug, pour immediately. Pouring from one jug to another jug is also a quick way to fully mix up the milk if it has separated a little. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip !

Thanks I will give it a try. Must say however my Micro foam is OK with my current method. But I will give Kosmos a try

Well I kinda knew that I was pushing my luck buying something expensive which was made in Italy.
    I find the Italians have great ideas but in cheapness no one can touch them. Yes Ive also owned some Alfas,Fiats, Lancias and Ducati.
    Now its happened to my coffee machine. Every thing was going great guns but one mourning the pressure gauge filled up with condensation so bad you could not read it any more and one of the side panels just fell of. Kinda re minds me when I was doing 160 km/h in the Alfa and the gear stick came out leaving me no chance of slowing down using the gear box.
    So my 4 week old Nuova Simonelli Musica is in for repairs.
    My trusty Sunbeam made hundreds of shots with no problems at all.
    Oh and I now drive a 370z and a Harley Davidson my Italian days are over for cars and bikes, just maybe for coffee machines as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 4B5C595C1C192A0 link=1274839714/37#37 date=1294918929
    Well I kinda knew that I was pushing my luck buying something expensive which was made in Italy.
    I find the Italians have great ideas but in cheapness no one can touch them. Yes Ive also owned some Alfas,Fiats, Lancias and Ducati.
    Now its happened to my coffee machine. Every thing was going great guns but one mourning the pressure gauge filled up with condensation so bad you could not read it any more and one of the side panels just fell of. Kinda re minds me when I was doing 160 km/h in the Alfa and the gear stick came out leaving me no chance of slowing down using the gear box.
    So my 4 week old Nuova Simonelli Musica is in for repairs.
    My trusty Sunbeam made hundreds of shots with no problems at all.
    Oh and I now drive a 370z *and a Harley Davidson my Italian days are over for cars and bikes, just maybe for coffee machines as well.
    Having an Italian machine will always be a love-hate relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by 726A78636265676A7F626D0B0 link=1274839714/38#38 date=1294923106
    Having an Italian machine will always be a love-hate relationship
    I was referring at least to cars, perhaps the same applies to coffee machines?

Definitely agree with the cars and looks like the same with the coffee machines ;)

Groover,

I would like to know how the side panel would fall off? What was suppose to hold it in?

I havent had any trouble with the gauge yet (touch wood) :-/

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Mine is working very well now after the teething problems I hope your issue are resolved quickly.

The side panel is held in by internal screws which must have come loose.
    I too hope I get it back soon as I miss the coffee
    Thanks Stan.

Well got it back and she is as good as gold............. for now . ;)

Best of luck - did they say what caused the problems??

Not really, the side panel was because of loose screws but the pressure gauge filling up with condensation has everyone stumped.

Thanks, they were stumped with my troubles as the mechanic said they are build very solid with parts that have been proven. Must be a quality control issue at the factory.

Hi All

Im potentially looking at one of these in the next 12 months or so and have a few questions for those with one already.

1. How do you find the group head and where its set? It appears a little awkward to get in to me, but then Im used to a full lever machine where the group head is very prominent. What are your thoughts?

2. How do you get on with the steam toggle? This is one of the selling points for me, because Im pretty well over having to twist a knob every time I want to steam my milk.

3. Does it have a three way valve?

4. Wheres the water overflow pipe on it - Im guessing it works on the same basis as my old 6910 in that theres a tube in the drip tray?

Cheers
    Di

TC

Hi Di,

Hmm....I suspect that the Musica might just be pretty much an Oscar in a blingier box?

Ordinarily, Id recommend against volumetrics in the home environment unless theres a compelling reason: The more complexity in any machine, the more to go wrong.

Cheers

Chris

PS- saw one the other day with lighting (neons?) down the front corners... Chapel St here we come! Just need some subbies now maaaayte :P

Caffeine Junky

Hi Di are you considering the Musica as a replacement for the Makin?? If so wouldnt that be a step down? Are you after a volumetric?

I own an Oscar and find the group access pretty easy for cleaning, changing seal, etc.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast