Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to Change Seals: The Ponte Vecchio Lusso Way!

Hi, i just followed your instructions on changing the piston seals almost to the letter, after i made a few coffees i noticed that water was still flowing from the group head !! i am a seasoned professional coffee machine tech but little to no experience with a ponte vechio, any ideas why the water is still flowing after the lever is back in standby position ?

3d printing this tool

Greetings-
    I have acquired a PV Lusso 2 group machine and I am loving it. Because I am not aware of the full history of the machine, I would like to replace the piston seals. That led me to this informative thread, and that led me to asking this question:
    Would it be possible to measure and post the dimensions of the hollow alloy tube, the piece that retains the seals in place during the re-insertion phase of the process?
    I am a CAD designer, and I have mocked up a version of the 'tool' used to apply the necessary load onto the spring. All that was needed for me to make that was to measure up one of my existing portafilter cups, the ears on it, and some rough measuring of the various important spots. My plan is to print this in durable ABS plastic, strong enough for the loads, and easy enough to tweak it, should it need it.
    I suppose that I could order a set of new seals and take measurements from those, perhaps I'll have to wait in order to do that. But, I also thought about making a few of the drawings from my effort, so that other folks could perhaps use the data to fabricate their own tools.
    There are a few more pieces of info that are missing from making this complete. The distance of how far it is from the bottom of the cup to the handle of the tool is important, as is the distance of travel of the turned screw, I want to get them both right, for ease of use when the tool is in place in the group, for hand fitting between the handle and the lower frame.
    I doubt that my fabrication will be pretty, but I am with you on the functionality front. If it works, especially if only rarely needed, its not about making the thing pretty. Car jacks aren't pretty.
    thanks
    p

Hi all
    Just wondering if anyone knows if the tool is still available to change the seals?
    Haven't seen Sorrentina here fro a while......

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beenz View Post
    Hi all
    Just wondering if anyone knows if the tool is still available to change the seals?
    Haven't seen Sorrentina here fro a while......
    Best email Jack through the contact email on the Sorrentina web site. He is around (I got a swift reply from him last Friday).

Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
    Best email Jack through the contact email on the Sorrentina web site. He is around (I got a swift reply from him last Friday).
    Great, thanks for the help

Anyone seen or heard of Jack lately? I'm in urgent need of the magic tool and some seals to get my PVL running again, but he hasn't responded to emails.

Did anyone ever make their own tool, or figure out a different way to do the job without the tool?

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    I believe Jack home some outside issues that took up a lot of his time. I'd had trouble contacting him in December, but got a polite and apologetic email in early Jan.

Yes, I have a set of seals but haven't got around to using them. I've lost the functionality from the LHS group head, the seals on that side are stuffed (passing and spurting water out of the relief hole). So I've been living with only using the RHS group. What's interesting is the RHS group must have been machined in a tolerance sweet spot, as this group has been used for well over a year, it has the occasional slip but it goes away again.
    If we can't get hold of those seals easily, it's probably easiest just to measure up the dimensions of the bores and replace them with PTFE lip-seals.

Great guide. what happened to everyone who was PV owners? seems like they got over the machines and moved on?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2