Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Calling all BFC/Diadema owners - Past, Present and Future

Calling all BFC/Diadema owners - Past, Present and Future

We dont seem to have too many clubs here (of brands or specific machines), but I thought Id give this a go anyway.

My modest aim is just to share my Diadema story.
    My ambitious aim is for this thread to be a place to hear the stories of Diadema owners: past, present and future.
    It could also be a place where prospective buyers of Diadema machines can come to ask questions (I know I had heaps and had a fairly difficult time tracking down some info, like what the water tank looks like and the opening for fill).

I thought that these stories could include some of or all (or more than) the following:
    • What were your previous espresso machines before getting your Diadema?
    • What made you decide to get a Diadema? Why did you choose this over the alternatives?
    • What are the things youve loved?
    • What are the things youve disliked?
    • What have you moved on to (if you have) and what were your reasons for doing so?

My story:
    I am a few days away from receiving my first Diadema espresso machine (Junior Semi Auto [DJSA] - plastic switch version) and my first foray into the pointy end and Hx world. I cant wait! Im more than ready to leave the single boiler club.

Previous machines?
    Gaggia Carezza, Rancilio Silvia V2, Isomac Zaffiro (soon to be for sale)

Why choose?
    Strangely, I have actually never seen a Diadema in the flesh. Ive had a good play with Expobar Minore, Giotto Premium, Bezerra Galatea, VBM Super, but never the Diadema. But for some reason, Ive always had a strange affinity to the Diadema. The Unico Splendor especially really grabs me! In the past few weeks, Ive been tossing up between the VBM Junior and the DJSA)

In the end it came down to a combination of these factors:
    [list bull-blackcheck][*]pretty much all the reputable Hx machines in this price range do the job and do it well;[*]Atillios (Fresh_Coffee of Cosmorex) constant championing of Diadema really impressed me; [*]I like the more industrial look and the built like a tank reputation it has;[*]the water tank is 3L (bigger than most of the competition in the price range) - lower freq need to fill up; [*]it seems less common (my perception anyway);[*]and the price was right! (budget is very tight and the DJSA came up to a few hundred $ cheaper - thanks to Chris @ Talk Coffee)[/list]
    Nothing yet for me to love or hate as I havent used it yet, but Ill fill that in after a bit of use. And I dont intend on moving on for a good long while! (famous last words, I know :P)

Sorry for the long post! I havent been posting for a long long time and Im making up for lost time!

Im hoping that this thread does get off the ground! If you are a past, present or prospective owner of a Diadema, Id love to hear from you!

Ben

Re: Calling all BFC/Diadema owners - Past, Present and Future

Hello Ben.

Ive had a succession of BFC / Diadema models at home over a period of years.

Currently have the 2 litre HX Junior EXTRA and Macap MXA grinder. A great combination.

At work as my dedicated cupping machine I use the Junior EXTRA Dual Boiler PID model and a Macap grinder. Another excellent combination that contributes to all my roasting technology.

Heres a piccie of the home set up.

Enjoy your new toy!

Attilio
    very first CS site sponsor.

Hi Ben,

I recently purchased the Diadema Junior (toggle switch model). I upgraded from a Sunbeam EM6910.
    Unfortunately the heating element died during transit so as yet I havent been able to use it. She is sitting on my kitchen bench taunting me all day.
    The new element arrived today so this arvo I will have a crack at installing it. Any tips for me in installing the new elemenmt?
    She is an amazing looking machine. I am sure we will have a long and beautiful relationship.

Nick

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 3E282B293E28283437342D3E295B0 link=1340452495/2#2 date=1340586972
    Hi Ben,

I recently purchased the Diadema Junior (toggle switch model). I upgraded from a Sunbeam EM6910.
    Unfortunately the heating element died during transit so as yet I havent been able to use it. She is sitting on my kitchen bench taunting me all day.
    The new element arrived today so this arvo I will have a crack at installing it. Any tips for me in installing the new elemenmt?
    She is an amazing looking machine. I am sure we will have a long and beautiful relationship.

Nick
    :o Wow Nick,

Thats a first....

Was the machine bench tested by your salesperson? Id think its more likely that the machine was dead when it arrived at the selling outlet than it died in transit.

As the machine is under warranty, you shouldnt be fitting an element yourself.

Good luck.

Chris

Oops Chris, you just mentioned the magic word....."warranty" ! Will that be an actual or a statutory one, or perhaps a "consumer guarantee" ? ;D

Yes if its a new machine it needs to be referred back through your retailer and let them make the call as to the appropriate action.

All the best, and enjoy your new machine ;)
    A.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 5A6E796F74435F737A7A79791C0 link=1340452495/4#4 date=1340588981
    Oops Chris, you just mentioned the magic word....."warranty" ! Will that be an actual or a statutory one, or perhaps a "consumer guarantee" ?
    It will involve a litre of blood, the sale of your daughter to the devil and the left component of your anatomy Attilio.

You will then lose in court- the penalty being your house, wife and business and 10 years hard labour in Siberia. Its only fair that the purchaser receive reasonable compensation.* ;D

This machine was bought secind hand. I do believe the seller when he told me that it worked fine when he shipped it..?
    Will put it in this arvo and fill u in.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by 776162607761617D7E7D647760120 link=1340452495/2#2 date=1340586972
    Any tips for me in installing the new elemenmt?
    Nick
    Hi Nick. Sorry to hear about your DOA machine. And sorry, I have no tips for you - I havent even received my machine yet and it doesnt sound like something Id risk doing myself! I hope it goes well for you.

By the way, why are you having to do it yourself? Shouldnt your retailer be responsible for sorting this out for you?

And if youre wondering what the banter between Chris and Attilio is all about, theres been a hot thread about the issue of warranties in this forum... but it could be something else entirely!

Quote Originally Posted by 283E3D3F283E3E2221223B283F4D0 link=1340452495/6#6 date=1340593638
    This machine was bought secind hand.
    Oops! Sorry, I must have posted at the same time as you!

Just for interest, did the seller buy you the replacement element? (Feel free to decline answering if not appropriate to do so)

Id love to hear how you go. And take some photos* to show and tell if you are that way inclined! Itll add the greatly to the content of this thread Im sure!

There is no warranty unfortunately..Also, I live 9 hours away from where I bought it, so I think I will just do it myself..
    I am just hoping that the problem is only the element!!

Nick

Whats the best way to drain the boiler?

The seller did pay for 75% of the cost of the repacement element.
    I will post some pics asap..

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar

Hi Ben,

I have a Diadema Reale (Regal), which is a similar piece of kit to the Diadema Junior. I have this paired with a Compak K3 touch. Both machines were purchased from Cosmorex about 8 months ago, and I couldnt be happier. I had one minor glitch with the on switch, which was rectified pronto by the people out at Cosmorex (and, yes...all under manufacturers warranty via the retailer who is an approved service agent).

I had previously used a range of cheap semi-autos (an old Krups etc), a Saeco full auto and every conceivable type of manual brewing device (Moka Pot / percolator / plunger / pourover / that powdered rubbish the army made me drink). My Saeco was on its last legs and I decided that I wanted to re-enter the world of doing things properly. I initially had planned to pair either a Silivia or Lelit with the K3, but I didnt take a lot of convincing to work out that I was going to be happier in the long run with the Diadema. Looks great too (its got a bit of an art deco look to it).
    Cheers
    BOSW

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 415754564157574B484B524156240 link=1340452495/11#11 date=1340594522
    The seller did pay for 75% of the cost of the repacement element.
    I will post some pics asap..
    :o Youre joking. If this is one of the machines Attilio imported, I dont think hell be too impressed to read this.

[edit]....on further reading[/edit]

Quote Originally Posted by 786E6D6F786E6E7271726B786F1D0 link=1340452495/9#9 date=1340594002
    There is no warranty unfortunately..Also, I live 9 hours away from where I bought it, so I think I will just do it myself..
    Ahh- 2nd hand then.... That makes more sense.
    Gtr likes this.

My story.

I am the extremely happy owner of a Unico Splendor. I bought this machine brand new. My machine before that was a Saeco full automatic that didnt even see 18 months.* >:( (and at the hefty price tag of $1500!!)
    After a long and serious talk with a very good friend of mine, he suggested that I buy a HX. Because I wanted to steam and pour at the same time, he said it was the only way to go.
    The things I love about this machine. Its simplicity. This machine does everything I want it to do, and in the nearly 5 years of owning it, I have had a couple of requirements done to it, and it still makes some of the best coffees and textures milk beautifully.

The only dislike I have with this machine is that when I use mugs for coffees (my husband dislikes small cups, when he wants a coffee it has to be in a BIG cup) I need to remove the bottom drip guard to sit the cup under the spout of the group handle, but this is a minor issue.

I still have this machine, and she works just as good as when I first bought it.* *:)

-Linda

So it was when I tried to install the new element that I realised that I had been sent on with the wrong connectors!! AAAAHHHHH. And also, to make matters worse, I dis-connected the element, turned the machine on and the power in the house went off! Obviously the issue is not the element. So I decided to take the machine to the local doctor. Finger crossed that it is only a loose wire or a busted switch. Anything more and I think I will seek a refund.....

Nick

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your "new" second hand purchase.

Its impossible to help make diagnoses without having the equipment in front of you,* but when a machine ( any machine) is shorting out the most common cause is the element, closely followed by a group solenoid (electro) valve. There could also be a dickey" toggle switch.......

And ofcourse, elements, electrovalves & toggle switches dont generally fail during transport.......

I would have someone with requisite expertise check that stuff first and hopefully its an easy fix and you can enjoy your new toy very very soon.....

Hope that helps,
    Attilio
    very first CS site sponsor.

Quote Originally Posted by 053126302B1C002C25252626430 link=1340452495/1#1 date=1340538038
    Heres a piccie of the home set up.
    Great setup you got there Attilio! Nice little space for it too =) Ill be sure to post up some piccies when my machine arrives and in place.

Quote Originally Posted by 393F233D38273B3A540 link=1340452495/12#12 date=1340598983
    Looks great too (its got a bit of an art deco look to it).
    The Regal/Reale does look a beauty! Good to hear youre being looked after well by Cosmorex. Its nice to have the assurance of good after sales support.

Quote Originally Posted by 0A262424263418242F2E242C26470 link=1340452495/14#14 date=1340602014
    My story.
    Thanks for sharing your story Linda! 5 years already and hopefully many more to come! The Unico Splendor is a little beauty isnt she?

Quote Originally Posted by 22343735223434282B28312235470 link=1340452495/15#15 date=1340677719
    Finger crossed that it is only a loose wire or a busted switch.
    Sorry to hear that it hasnt been sorted yet. And will keep fingers crossed with you that itll all work out simply and soon.

The saga continues......

It turns out that I was sent the wrong element all together..So I have to send the one they sent me back, wait for them to get the one I actually need in stock, and then wait for it to arrive here!!
    Tear.......I just want a brew.

Im sorry to hear that and I know how frustrating it is to have to wait to get your machine going, before enjoying any coffee.

Have checked with my spare parts team and they say we havent had an order for a single element for a Junior this week, and the problem you are experiencing could be due to people sourcing non genuine parts from other suppliers......where you run the gauntlet of receiving something that "looks like" it should be interchangeable, but may not be....

If we can help, our contact details should be at left of the page in the list of sponsors.

I recently came across an old, unloved BFC/Diadema and am in the process of breathing new life into it. a couple of questions for experienced owners:

1) upon startup, do you normally have to purge false pressure from the steam wand, or does it just heat up "normally"? pretty sure my anti-vac valve is cactus

2) any recommendations for boiler pressure setting? my steam seems a bit wet and theres a fairly fast drop off of pressure - peak seems to be close to 1.5, but as soon as the steam wand is open its down to about 1 where it stays steady pretty much indefinitely.

3) im keen to check my group pressure, but i dont have a portafilter with a pressure gauge so i was going to insert a blind filter and measure the recirc flow - anybody got any flow rate numbers corresponding to pressures?

Im also looking for a good source for spares beyond what coffeeparts offers - i need an anti-vac valve, a steam arm gasket, water reservoir plug, new silicon tubing and a few other bits and bobs. any recommendations as to which of the site sponsors are well stocked, cheap and easy to deal with?

TC

Quote Originally Posted by 616576687D5B696B766A6D6A635B040 link=1340452495/20#20 date=1340940443
    I recently came across an old, unloved BFC/Diadema and am in the process of breathing new life into it. a couple of questions for experienced owners:

1) upon startup, do you normally have to purge false pressure from the steam wand, or does it just heat up "normally"? pretty sure my anti-vac valve is cactus

2) any recommendations for boiler pressure setting? my steam seems a bit wet and theres a fairly fast drop off of pressure - peak seems to be close to 1.5, but as soon as the steam wand is open its down to about 1 where it stays steady pretty much indefinitely.

3) im keen to check my group pressure, but i dont have a portafilter with a pressure gauge so i was going to insert a blind filter and measure the recirc flow - anybody got any flow rate numbers corresponding to pressures?

Im also looking for a good source for spares beyond what coffeeparts offers - i need an anti-vac valve, a steam arm gasket, water reservoir plug, new silicon tubing and a few other bits and bobs. any recommendations as to which of the site sponsors are well stocked, cheap and easy to deal with?
    Hello em,

These are routine service irems that your local blokel should be able to resolve really quickly and with minimal expense. A good tech will also be able to set group pressure correctly.

Perhaps its time to spend just a little of the $$$ you saved? :-?

Enjoy...

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 7B7F6C72674173716C70777079411E0 link=1340452495/20#20 date=1340940443
    I recently came across an old, unloved BFC/Diadema.....

1) If anti vac valve is "cactus" (usually stuck closed) then upon cold start up you will have to open the steam valve and leave it open until the machine has built up enough steam to leak continually out of the steam pipe, then you can close it and there wont be any "false pressure".

2) "Wet steam" needs to be investigated by a service tech. 1.5 bars is generally accepted to be too high. It boosts steam pressure for old style milk bar "frothatisti", but heats the water in the heat exchangers to better burn your coffee requiring judicious operator management during coffee making.

1.1 bars is where the max cut off would have been set in the factory for best effect, and these machines have plenty of steam so it would seem rather misguided for someone to jack up to 1.5 bars.

However if steam is considered "wet" despite higher than normal boiler pressure, any lowering of pressure should be accompanied (as stated already) by a visit to a pro tech. in case something else needs adjusting.

3) We dont bother with "recirculating flow rates" because we use group handle pressure gauges to do this stuff* ;)!

Re your comment "...which of the site sponsors are well stocked, cheap and easy to deal with...."

You cant have it both ways my friend. Anyone that is well stocked and is easy to deal with doesnt need to be cheap at the expense of the service they are offering and the level of investment they have in their business to be able to provide this service ;)

My bill for professional technical advice is in the mail* ;)

And now, back to work I go.

BBP* ;D

Fresh_Coffee: thank you for an especially thorough answer, very, very much appreciated. can i buy spares directly through you? if so, can you send me a contact number/email address?

Hello there and thank you.

All there:

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1163932646

so i found some spare time on the weekend to open my machine up and have a poke around.

per my questions above:

1) the anti-vac valve was fouled and stuck in the closed position. I removed it, cleaned it, restored it and its working perfectly now.

2) i reduced the pressurestat down to 1.2bar which seems to have reduced the need for an extended cooling flush (based on seat-of-the-pants/cup testing, didnt bother to get the thermocouple out). I also checked out the level sensors - both were fully inserted. I removed them, cleaned a small amount of scale from them and re-installed them. i then raised them together in half-inch increments, left the machine to settle each time and stretched a few jugs of milk at each point. I found a good spot somewhere maybe an inch above the absolute lowest settings where the steam quality and quantity was good.

I think theres probably more scope to improve this once i bother getting the thermocouple out to balance steam volume with stored thermal energy - a problem for another weekend when i have more time to play.

3) I didnt get a chance to play around with this parameter, though i think for the time being i will just check my re-circ flow rate against the pump flow rate with a blind filter in place. with another dinosaur machine sitting in my garage waiting for some attention, maybe its time to track down a 58mm portafilter with a pressure gauge and thermocouple or maybe just make one myself...

Finally got a chance to take some photos of the machine and my setup.

Full gallery here: http://benandfaith.smugmug.com/All-Things-Coffee/Diadema-Junior-Semi-Auto/First-Shots/23961992_P8hzJb

nice shots, looks awesome. I think im going to have to steal that 3m hooks + bulldog clips idea to recover some space on my benchtop...

is that a little SS scottie-dog or something in the 2nd last shot?

Thanks early_morning_!

Please steal away! Im not sure if it has been don before, but after being busted yet again by the missus for having bags of coffee all over her benchtop I decided to get my thinking ht on and came up with this.

The SS Scottie Dog is straight out of Monopoly! Scottie has been keeping me company for the past 1.5 years. Perhaps Scottie will help me emulate Scottie Callaghan more and more!

love it - and the scottie dog; ill have to dig out my monopoly set to see what gems lie in there.

where did you get that stainless steel hopper thing?
    It looks a lot better than my upside down 2L milk container which im currently using for my mini.

Quote Originally Posted by 343722242E262B3726293334470 link=1340452495/29#29 date=1341474549
    where did you get that stainless steel hopper thing?
    Search Jam funnel and the first two hits are what you need. They are not site sponsors so didnt want to post any links. I can PM you the links if you are not getting the same reults as me. Fits my SJ like it was made for it! And I use the plastic tamper as a cap to prevent popcorning of the beans as they are grinding.

Ill post a photo in a few minutes...

One year on and my DJSA hasn't missed a beat.

One slight issue with a very minor drip from the hot water tap, but turned out I just needed to flush some water through it to get some 'gunk' (presumably from the water) that got stuck in there somewhere. A few hundred mls of water later and the machine works like the day I got it.

Any other Diadema owners out there a year on?

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Mine's (Reale) 19 months old (though was unused for 3 months of that time). Running perfectly, though will need a new group seal soon. Will put it in for a basic service soonish.
    benandfaith likes this.

Life-long Learner DesigningByCoffee's Avatar
    I've got a Reale too - 4 and a bit years on and haven't had a single hiccup. Haven't even replaced a group seal yet!
    They're a great, reliable and good looking machine. Very heat stable, great steam. Beautifully built.
    The only fault at times is the roasting nut behind the group!

Matt

Here's my setup…

200917Nov_0054.jpg
    benandfaith likes this.

Hi Guys...

Our DJE DB celebrated its 2nd birthday about 6 weeks back. It's been fabulous all the way and I love it. Coming up to a Group Service soon:- new seals, O-Rings, etc and a good clean. Not the slightest hint of any scale buildup either, the water filter system we bought from Bernard (Bombora) works perfectly.

I would never have any hesitation in recommending a Diadema machine to a prospective buyer. Whole-heartedly support all the good stuff written about them above and you can't beat the backup support provided by Chris and Attilio - Simply first class...

Gonna have my last coffee for the day now...

Mal.
    benandfaith likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DesigningByCoffee View Post
    Here's my setup…
    200917Nov_0054.jpg
    Looks amazing!

I wished I could have spent that extra few hundred dollars to get the Reale, but it is what it is... happy with my DJSA, but the Reale really does look awesome!

Great to hear Mal!

Can't agree more with what you've said about machine and support.

Can I ask why you are 'routinely' getting the group service at 2 years? Is that your preference or is it something that is commonly done that I should think about also?

Quote Originally Posted by benandfaith View Post
    Can I ask why you are 'routinely' getting the group service at 2 years? Is that your preference or is it something that is commonly done that I should think about also?
    Not really routine at all mate, more to do with wear and tear than anything else. I have been routinely checking inside the Group every six months or so, mainly to get a handle on any scale buildup potential, and the wear and tear on moving parts, seals etc. For the rate of use we use the machine, the seals and O-Rings are starting to get a bit tired and do need to be replaced. Not a difficult thing to do and quite cheap as far as parts go.

Apart from this, every twelve months the covers come off and a close inspection of everything under the bonnet gets a once over; check for loose electrical connections or abraded wiring insulation, any signs of leaks or seepage, put my home-made scase device to work to measure temperature and water pressure at the Group Handle, and that all pipe-fittings, screws, bolts and nuts are tight. Basically, a comprehensive preventative maintenance service. I'd recommend that if you're not confident about doing this sort of thing yourself, you engage your local site sponsor to undertake all this for you. Especially important as the years roll by...

No need to be paranoid about this sort of thing though, I am a geek after all and have plenty of time and alternative means to knock up great cuppas when ever I want one. It's just me these days though, all the birds have flown the nest and my lovely lady isn't into fresh coffee. Anyway, hope some of this is helpful Ben...

All the best,
    Mal.
    TC likes this.

So this weekend I picked up a DJE-DB-PID and Macap M4D to go with it. Beginning to get a handle on the beast after coming from a Sylvia w/ Iberital grinder. I am having a few issues getting the most important nut* adjusted right, but have managed to get it set enough to get drinkable cafe quality coffee so far, as I fine tune the shots and process.

* (The operator, aka me)

Excellent stuff mate...

Onward and upward from now on, eh...

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by malliemcg View Post
    So this weekend I picked up a DJE-DB-PID and Macap M4D to go with it. Beginning to get a handle on the beast after coming from a Sylvia w/ Iberital grinder. I am having a few issues getting the most important nut* adjusted right, but have managed to get it set enough to get drinkable cafe quality coffee so far, as I fine tune the shots and process.

* (The operator, aka me)
    That's an awesome piece of equipment! What a nice upgrade from the Sylvia and Iberital. Funnily enough that was my first 'enthusiast' set up also. But I upgraded the grinder to Mazzer Super Jolly within a month, and for Sylvia, went to Isomac Zaffiro after 4 years and then to the Diadema after 1.5 years.

You will go from 'drinkable' to really really good, better than cafe quality coffee soon!

It's an awesome setup, it took me 3 days before to surpass the Sylvia with consistency, and days 4-6 has surpassed the Sylvia day on day and fine tuning each day. Already better than cafe again . I'm assuming that it's going to make my weekends last longer (did last weekend which was the first) due to time seeming to slow from my point of observation. Drinking a lot more espresso that I used to, and to top it off the wife is very very happy with the resultant output and is has no complaints re costs. (I'm a lucky lucky man! )

Hi there,

I thought I'd jump into this thread instead of starting a new one.

A mate has been handed down an Unico Splendor from his dad. It had a blown element and his dad wanted a new machine. He has replaced the element and the machine works fine. The only problem is that a proper cleaning routine was never followed and it now has a huge amount of gunk built up. I've run cleaning powder in the blind filter four times now - (10 sec on, 10 sec off, repeated 10 times) and there is still brown liquid in blind filter after a backflush.

Can someone describe how to take the shower screen out so that I can give it a proper clean?

Cheers,
    Dave
    Last edited by Canelli; 29th October 2013 at 03:51 PM.

Thought I'd jump in on this thread even though it's getting a little old. Purchased a Junior Plus Levetta from a local Canberra retailer last year. Has served me very well after I figured out how to get the pH levels perfect and a consistently good grind with my Rancillio Rocky.
    With the local Canberra water I find a 2/3 tap water and a 1/3 spring water mix in the 3 litre reservoir (rechargeable filter refreshed every 2-3 weeks), and a finely ground dark arabica roast from a local roaster gets me a killer shot every time. Not too flat or too bitter, just beautifully rich & round in the mouth with a lovely golden crema.

Should mention that, due to a need to fund an overseas trip, I am thinking about passing on my beautiful machine.

What do other Diadema owners think would be a fair price if I'm looking for a quick sale (I would also include knock box, jug, tamper, cleaning equipment and detergents)?

I will upload some photos and videos once I get home
    Last edited by Javaphile; 7th November 2013 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Combined posts

Canelli: sorry no one has responded earlier. Hopefully you've figured it out. Taking out the shower screen for he Unico Splendor would be how it would be done for all E61 groupheads. It doesn't have a screw. The shower screen is held on by the rubber gasket/group seal.

A helpful FAQ on E61 heads: FAQs and Favorites - Espresso Machines • Home-Barista.com
    One specifically for taking out shower screen: Techniques wanted on removing E61 shower screen - Tips and Techniques • Home-Barista.com

kallipolisian: if I had to hazard a guess for a one year old Junior Plus Lever + accessories, I'd say around the $2000 mark. If it was purchased by a site sponsor, I'd certainly advertise that (helps with people's peace of mind around here). Better still, if it has been recently serviced/look over by one of the site sponsors and they are happy for you to advertise what 'condition' they think the machine is in, even better. The reason I say $2000 (or perhaps a bit less) is that you can get a brand new Junior Semi-Auto (very similar internals iirc, same functionality) or a VBM junior for around that price (VBM) or less (Junior Semi-Auto).

I'd started another thread on channeling issues I'm having with my Unico Splendour, but I wouldn't mind a better tamper. My current one is convex and I really would prefer a flat one.

Can someone please recommend one that they are using and are really happy with?

Quote Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post
    I'd started another thread on channeling issues I'm having with my Unico Splendour, but I wouldn't mind a better tamper. My current one is convex and I really would prefer a flat one.

Can someone please recommend one that they are using and are really happy with?
    Pullman tampers have an excellent reputation in Australia
    The Pullman Tamper | Home || Coffee Tamper Coffee Tampers Espresso Tamper Greg Pullman

Get one made to fit your basket or alternatively buy a flat tamper and basket set.
    Not at all surprised your having channeling issues with a convex.

awesome site, i will!

im not sure capacity of my current double basket, although it is ridged. Does it matter what capacity I get if I get a replacement i.e. range is 15g to 22g

Quote Originally Posted by lucifuge View Post
    awesome site, i will!

im not sure capacity of my current double basket, although it is ridged. Does it matter what capacity I get if I get a replacement i.e. range is 15g to 22g
    My personal preference is for 18 gram ridgeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    My personal preference is for 18 gram ridgeless.
    Ditto....

And agree re: the Convex Tamper. Not a good beginner's tool...

Mal.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast