Thread: Vibiemme Domobar pump stopped filling boiler

Vibiemme Domobar pump stopped filling boiler

I seem to have a problem with my Vibiemme Domobar. When I turn the switch to position 1 the pump is not engaging and filling the boiler. The last shot I pulled before the problem began did have some pressure fluctuations and I think the pump tried to engage during the shot. This was unusaual however something that had happened a handful of times in the past. On the next use the pump did not engage.

Does anyone have any information or instructions that could help diagnose the problem?

The pump will only kick in to fill the boiler if the level is too low - not necessarily going to be the case every time you switch on the machine. The test is does the pump engage, then stop promptly when the machine has heated up and you take some water out via the hot water tap.

That was what I was hoping. Today I had it heated up and ran the tap until the boiler is pretty much dry. Still nothing from the pump.

KJM
    Assuming it is like all the machines I've personally seen - the fault could well be the water level sensor. Which is nothing more than a metal rod that sticks into the boiler. There is usually some kind of compression nut that holds them in place. So you could try removing the probe and cleaning it. It measures by simple conductivity - so if it gets grungy - it doesn't work. But your fault seems to be that it thinks the boiler is always full - which is a short from the probe to the boiler.

Naturally - if you open the machine up - have the mains plug in your hand while you do it, and if it is under warranty... do contact the supplier!

Hope this helps a bit.

/Kevin

Unfortunately, even with the water level sensor wire disconnected I can't get the boiler to fill. Based on that I don't think the machine can think the boiler is full? It seems there is a secondary problem triggering the pump or their is an issue with the pump. As the pump is still getting water through the grouphead I'm assuming the problem is electrical? Any other thoughts?

I'm afraid your Gicar autofill control box is faulty! Time to take it in for some TLC.

KJM
    Quote Originally Posted by rick_bond View Post
    I'm afraid your Gicar autofill control box is faulty! Time to take it in for some TLC.
    Yup. But depending on the actual model - it might have a couple of relays on the board. As the resident "coffee machine hacker" at work, I've fixed a couple of these with burnt out contacts on the relay. Still went click, but no volts to the pump So if you have some skills in that area, it can be a $6 repair if that is the problem.

Mind you, one of the other machines had lots of burnt out components.... The microcontroller brain looked like it had supp'd on the 240VAC power supply..

/Kevin

Thanks for the input. I'll have one more go at the DIY solution as it may turn out to be easier than finding somewhere in Qatar for a professional service.

Hi all,

Old thread but it is the same problem as I am now facing. I am hoping someone can suggest based on their experience with Gicars as to what component is likely to be the cause of such a fault.

Here is my Gicar:
    RL30/1E/second crack/C
    Cod 9.1.40.12G
    Attached Images Attached Images

Incidentally I had to buy a whole replacement Gicar because it seems the Myrra 44950 transformer used on this model Gicar is no longer produced/available so cannot replace the individual component.
    I am not sure that the transformer is faulty though but replacing the Gicar has resolved the autofill issue.

Radio Spares in Oz stock a good range of PCB mount txfrs.
    If you know the power rating and input/output voltages required, you can usually match one up with minimum fuss...

Pretty sure a couple CSers have done this fix successfully using RS to source the parts.

Mal.

Yeah I already looked at RS and they don't have it.

It is a very peculiar transformer. 240v input but has two outputs: 15v 5mA (6-7) and 20v 60mA (9-10)