Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ElShauno

Thread: New toy Expobar Office Control

Cool New toy Expobar Office Control

I just picked up a second hand Expobar Office Control for the ridiculous sum of $386.90 1 year old in great condition but it was minus the portafilter and handle.

2 things can anyone recommend in Melbourne where I can buy a naked group handle and some baskets for it and does anyone have any feedback pitfalls etc with this machine.

i have read that they are a reasonable machine (unpretentious) though they do not have the same finished quality as the Italian counterparts. I am not worried about the look more so performance so if any snobbers or sponsors have any feedback would be great.

Yep, Chris @ Talk Coffee, site sponsor has what you're after re naked and filters.

Thanks Chokkidog. Have you had any experience with these machines negative or positive.

No, I haven't Magyar. There's what seems to be comprehensive user review over at the coffee geek's site.
    Have you seen it? Google the machine name, you'll see it there.

Yes I researched what I could find on Coffee Geek which is why I bought the machine but I thought I would ask on here as there alway tends to be slight differences in what the Americans perceive as quality etc to Australian coffee drinkers and I find they are a little exuberant in the advertising of their products, so I a, just looking for honest opinions from people who have them or sell them at Coffee Snobbs

So no Coffee Snobs out there with this machine?

I have read that they can run a little hot especially if imported, does anyone know how I can tell if it is an Ozzie complianced machine, I read a thread somewhere that there is a restriction valve installed to regulate the group head temp as they are a single boiler?

Not sure about confirming compliance however i have both the Expobar Minore IV and i also have the office control. Some my ask why i have the office control and its simply because its a volumetric machine which i like to have along with the Leva machine. I must however admit i now use the Minore more. Some say cosmetically they dont look pleasing but like you said in your original post i was not after looks and only performance. This thing hasn't missed a beat and preforms great.

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks coffeechris I had a two group commercial machine at home and decided it was too big for home use (I knew that when I bought it just couldn't help myself) I am looking forward to giving the little guy a go. My preference was for a dual boiler set up but the price was too good to pass on.
    The Minore is a nice looking machine I just couldn't justify the price difference. Can I ask how is the temp stability with the Office Control?

Hi Magyar0300,

I have the Office Control and its a lovely piece of machine which was given to me as a gift a while back.
    The only problem I've come across with mine is that the 1 large coffee button doesn't seem to be working properly. If I press it, the machine would start to brew but then stop before any coffee comes out. So what I would do is just use the 2 short coffee button.
    I was wondering if you have come across with this problem?

PS: New to CS so forgive me if what I've explained doesn't make much sense to you

Cheers.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by lukchamp View Post
    Hi Magyar0300,

I have the Office Control and its a lovely piece of machine which was given to me as a gift a while back.
    The only problem I've come across with mine is that the 1 large coffee button doesn't seem to be working properly. If I press it, the machine would start to brew but then stop before any coffee comes out. So what I would do is just use the 2 short coffee button.
    I was wondering if you have come across with this problem?

PS: New to CS so forgive me if what I've explained doesn't make much sense to you

Cheers.
    Welcome lukchamp.

Time to read the manual. You can program the touchpad to do whatever you choose.

Hi all, I was looking for a thread to share a couple of tips regarding this machine as I purchased one second hand and have been really enjoying it so far.

The volumetric buttons really help with workflow. I reprogram with every bean change but get my 18gms in and preferred 34gms out quite consistently. Paired with the Macap M4D's timer, and the power plug timer for turning the machine on to pre heat while I'm still sleeping, I'm dosing and brewing espresso and lattes faster than ever.

Anyway, here are a couple of tips which I discovered but that weren't easy to find (if at all) in the manual.

1) Enable (and disable) pre-infusion

With the switch off, hold the single short espresso button (far left) and turn the switch on. That button and the short double button will light up. Turn the machine off and on again, and pre-infusion is enabled. Repeat this process holding the single long button to disable it (how it came).

In my experience the pre infuse only works with the volumetric buttons, not the manual button (makes sense). You could always program one to go for a long time so you can end it early, like manual, but with the pre infuse at the beginning.

In the cup I'm yet to notice anything world's apart as a result of this pre infuse. The Control pulls a good shot regardless, but I'm sure others with more discerning coffee palates might enjoy experimenting with it on and off!

2. Auto backflush cycle

More of a convenience thing but not entirely necessary. Setup your portafilter and powder as norm, turn the switch off, then hold the middle volumetric button and turn the switch back on. The machine will flash two lights and start a series of backflush cycles without requiring you to intervene.

You can repeat this sans powder immediately afterwards to ensure you rinse it. Just empty the (relatively small) drip tray in between powder and no-powder cycles as it fills up rather quickly.

Anyway, hope this enlightens other new owners as I had to dig hard to find info regarding these two features

Shaun
    LeroyC likes this.