Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 LastLast
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: Breville Oracle Owners Thread BES980XL

That's awesome. Thanks for taking the time to reply and for advice about roasting. I did read that beans do change because of temperature and humidity etc. Still don't know why my default single shot is 20 seconds but I might adjust it to 22 seconds. Sometimes I run the double shots so the amount on both is closer to 30ml for the two.

I'll look into roasting in the future as for me it cost and time investment is not worth it at the moment.

Good tips about the smell, cost and outdoor setting. Don't think my wife would be happy about the smell I had a laugh.

Cheers
    James

Quote Originally Posted by wfdTamar View Post
    Yes, going from 24 to a higher number (25-26 etc) does make it coarser and let the water run through easier (just like it says on the Breville card). I'm pretty sure default on my machine is 22 seconds. I've just left it at that. I think the ideal is 30 ml in 25 seconds - or 25 ml in 30 seconds. I can't remember which way around it is. There are other factors. For example you don't want 'blonding' - where you have it go so long that the coffee coming out turns more bland, blond and not so much crema (basically more water than coffee) in it. If you see that, you're best to stop the pour early.

This is the classic mistake that people that buy consumer level manual machines do. They run a shot through, then just keep on going to put lots of hot water in the cup (like to make an instant coffee). They think everything in the cup has to come through the portafilter. No, apparently if you run the shot too long it goes bitter. I'm no expert, this is just stuff I've picked up along the way.

Classic mistake number two is to think once you set the grind right you never need to change it. I even had my local café do that. I fix their computers and they had a fancy commercial machine and grinder. The beans salesman had set the grind god know how many weeks before, last time he was there. I was busting to have a go at making a coffee and went to change the grind when I saw they and about half a mug coming through for each shot - she didn't want me to touch the grinder setting! They didn't get that the grind setting is a constant - watch pour and adjust accordingly. Can change cup to cup, certainly as the beans age.

ROASTING
    My problem is I live miles from where I can get decent beans at a decent price. I was buying 6 kg's at a time from online roasters (to get free shipping) and trying to find other people to take some. That still left me with too many beans to get through in the time they are best. They end up at least $30 kg if not 35 or 40. Also by the time I got to the end of the batch they were not too good.

So I had a look - green beans can be stored for ages - years. They cost $9-12 per kg (with a few exceptions). You lose a bit of weight when you roast them (10-20%). Then you need a roasting method (plenty of talk in the roasting section on this site). I went for a Behmor 1600. Around $500. Takes amber a dozen-20 roasts to get the hang of it. Takes about 25 mins per batch (400gms), but you don't have to be there the whole time (though they say to). You can set a timer and do something else for the first half. So it might a few hours to do 2kg's. It also stinks and there's some chaff (the outer shell of the bean) to dispose of, so you want to do it in a shed or outside.

However it does produce excellent results and you have perfectly roasted coffee all the time because you can do it to demand. You could just do one batch (400 gas, end up with about 375gms) in 25 mins. I sell beans to a friend so he pays for mine too. He prefers mine to any commercially available here. I just bought some roasted ones from an online roaster just to check how they were and mine are far better.

My free single shot filter basket arrived from Club Oracle today Very snug fit into the PF, yet to measure the dose given by the auto grind/tamp. Think it was about 21g with the double.

Didn't come with any instructions, so I assume I just press the "double shot" button and trust the smaller / more restrictive mesh to limit the flow...

Quote Originally Posted by chylld View Post
    My free single shot filter basket arrived from Club Oracle today Very snug fit into the PF, yet to measure the dose given by the auto grind/tamp. Think it was about 21g with the double.

Didn't come with any instructions, so I assume I just press the "double shot" button and trust the smaller / more restrictive mesh to limit the flow...

Did you just call, and ask for one of these?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy6166 View Post
    I'll look into roasting in the future as for me it cost and time investment is not worth it at the moment.

Good tips about the smell, cost and outdoor setting. Don't think my wife would be happy about the smell I had a laugh.

Cheers
    James
    On the subject of home roasting, I have an iCoffee S-100CR which has an "afterburner" on the back that does some magic to let you roast indoors without stinking up the whole place.

Don't use it anymore (sitting on a shelf somewhere) but I did use it a lot in my old apartment which had a very small kitchen with a very small window, but that was still more than enough ventilation.

Quote Originally Posted by albyrne View Post
    Did you just call, and ask for one of these?
    I called them 2 weeks ago (1300-ORACLE) and asked about them; they just asked for my postal address and added me to the list

Just gave the single basket filter its first test. It's pretty much perfect!

Grinder dosed 11.5 g at the same tamp/dose settings that produced 21.1g with the double basket.

Pressing the 2-cup button (which used to produce about 65-70mL in 30 seconds through the double basket) now produces 30-35mL through the single basket. Don't have a naked PF for this machine yet, but flow was nice and slow and steady.

Taste is spot on. Much more rounded flavour than using the double basket with the single shot button. And dialling in the grind for new beans suddenly costs half as much

Backflushing with the rubber disc also works, although 1 drop did make its way through the portafilter spout.

Perfect execution of a single basket for the oracle and well worth the wait!

Grinder dosed 11.5 g at the same tamp/dose settings that produced 21.1g with the double basket.

Pressing the 2-cup button (which used to produce about 65-70mL in 30 seconds through the double basket) now produces 30-35mL through the single basket. Don't have a naked PF for this machine yet, but flow was nice and slow and steady.

Taste is spot on. Much more rounded flavour than using the double basket with the single shot button. And dialling in the grind for new beans suddenly costs half as much

Backflushing with the rubber disc also works, although 1 drop did make its way through the portafilter spout.

Sounds good to me! I'll be hitting the phone in the morning...

A.

Help from an Oracle owner in the USA. I called Club Oracle, they will not ship to an address outside of Australia and BrevilleUSA customer support doesn't even know it exists let alone order one.
    Breville can be very difficult to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Deke1240 View Post
    Help from an Oracle owner in the USA. I called Club Oracle, they will not ship to an address outside of Australia and BrevilleUSA customer support doesn't even know it exists let alone order one.
    Hopefully it's just a matter of time before the part becomes available in the US. Tried posting on their facebook page? Feel free to use my photo above in your post if you think it'll help.

After spending some time researching the Oracle and reading though this forum topic I was pleasantly surprised to find the single basket filter supplied with my new purchase.

I can't imagine what life would have been like for the rest of you without it.

One a separate note I have been manually frothing my milk for years on previous machines and I was hopeful that the auto froth function would produce satisfactory results. Unfortunately, I can't produce velvety smooth textured milk automatically. I'm using whole milk on a new unclogged machine. I get satisfactory result when manually frothing the milk where I can nearly double the volume, but, the auto function is a let down.

Is this other people's experience?

Quote Originally Posted by neohusky View Post
    One a separate note I have been manually frothing my milk for years on previous machines and I was hopeful that the auto froth function would produce satisfactory results. Unfortunately, I can't produce velvety smooth textured milk automatically. I'm using whole milk on a new unclogged machine. I get satisfactory result when manually frothing the milk where I can nearly double the volume, but, the auto function is a let down.

Is this other people's experience?
    Yep same experience. In full auto the frother does a barely adequate job but it doesn't incorporate the air properly so you can forget about latte art.

Currently experimenting with swirling the pitcher while it's stretching the milk but limited success so far. Yet to try it in manual mode, I assume it works with the wand in the up position? (auto doesn't)

Yes. Up position held on a slight angle @ 3 o'clock using the spout of the jug for support gives pretty good results.

I'm waiting for the white glove service rep to visit and I'll have the discussion with them re the auto frothing. I was wondering if mine Oracle was faulty.
    chylld likes this.

Hopefully it's just a matter of time before the part becomes available in the US. Tried posting on their facebook page? Feel free to use my photo above in your post if you think it'll help.
    Thanks, here's the response I got from BrevilleUSA.
    Thank you for contacting Breville USA Support. We don't anticipate the launch of a single shot filter basket for the Oracle in the coming months. No specific ETA or information can yet be provided via Breville USA directly.
    It's frustrating that new units are being shipped with the single basket (as the previous post mentioned) and I can't even order one thru BrevilleUSA. It's almost like they're two different companies, I'm assuming an Oracle, destined for the Australian or US markets, would keep the same size group head.

Thanks for the heads up just called breville and my single shot is in the way!!! Finally no more wasted coffee haha

Darn! I was hoping that it would be available here in the US now.

Noob question here, how do I know if I have the single or double shot filter basket? I purchased my oracle 2 days ago (Sydney Australia) and haven't completely unpacked it yet as I still have to buy some beans.
    lparsons21 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by asammy View Post
    Noob question here, how do I know if I have the single or double shot filter basket?
    In the photo above, the double basket is on the left and the single basket is on the right

Thanks, here's the response I got from BrevilleUSA.
    Thank you for contacting Breville USA Support. We don't anticipate the launch of a single shot filter basket for the Oracle in the coming months. No specific ETA or information can yet be provided via Breville USA directly.
    It's frustrating that new units are being shipped with the single basket (as the previous post mentioned) and I can't even order one thru BrevilleUSA. It's almost like they're two different companies, I'm assuming an Oracle, destined for the Australian or US markets, would keep the same size group head.
    Any goodhearted Oracle comrades in Oz willing to serve as the Australian address for we bereft US souls? That is: You get the single basket and we pay to have it shipped to the US? Perhaps you'd be willing to do this for fewer people (i.e., me) but not make a general statement to the masses? If so, kindly p.m. me.

Hi,

I am an loyal Breville customer. I bought my Breville oracle for just a bit over 2 years. My oracle had a power issue at the end of the 2 years warranty period so I sent it in for a warranty repair by an Breville appointed repairer Espresso fix..
    In less than a month the same power failiure occured. I would not trust the same guy to repair again. What should I do?

Uhhh, just got my eagerly awaited Oracle today in the States. Took an hour unboxing it, cleaning, soaking, getting it all ready to use. Plugged it in, pressed power and...

...it made a loud obnoxious sound for about 20 minutes (guessing it was the boilers filling up) while the temp display got to 155F and then flickered between 155 and 156 for about 30 minutes. The noise came and went after that. I left it on for about an hour. The temp reading never got above 157 and the power light never stopped flashing. I'm crushed.

On the box it says, if there's a problem, DO NOT RETURN TO THE STORE, call this number instead! I dialed the number and all it did was ring. Granted, it's well past business hours here, I didn't expect them to answer. I did, however, expect there to be an outgoing message telling their hours. Something to at least let me know I reached the correct number.

What a piece of JUNK! Unbelievable. I'll call Breville again tomorrow and see what they say. Suffice to say, I'm not expecting much from them. Further, I'm shocked and appalled to have spent $2000 USD on a coffee machine to have it arrive DOA.

Wow.

EDIT: Please see next few posts. Got it working. Whew.
    Last edited by freebird2000; 20th December 2016 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Update

Breville Oracle Owners Thread BES980XL

I had the same issue. Here's the fix.
    1. Turn off the Oracle and let it cool down completely. Also unplug it. Wait at least one full hour.
    2. Open both drains and leave them open
    3. Turn on Oracle and wait until you see some water coming from the boilers into the drip tray.
    4. Close both drains while it is running

If that work as it did for me, you'll get a somewhat loud pumping sound for a bit then it will quiet down for a bit longer and finally come up to temp and you'll be ready to go.

The problem seems to be an airlock of some sort IMO.
    trentski and LFM60 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by lparsons21 View Post
    1. Turn off the Oracle and let it cool down completely. Also unplug it. Wait at least one full hour.
    3. Turn on Oracle and wait until you see some water coming from the boilers into the drip tray.

If that work as it did for me, you'll get a somewhat loud pumping sound for a bit then it will quiet down for a bit longer and finally come up to temp and you'll be ready to go.

Hey lparsons21,

Really appreciate the quick response. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it works.

It's unfortunately something that has been happened for years, it isn't really Breville's fault, they can't control what goes on in the service centres.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there that think fixing a problem is 'what is the least we can do to make it look like it works?'

freebird, it happens across the whole range. In 5 years I've had it happen twice to my BDB. I think I can remember Phil (Breville) when he was around these parts said that doing a factory reset should/could fix the issue.
    The last time, 2 weeks ago funnily enough, I did a reset and it's fine now.

lparsons and shapeshifter, THANK YOU. That totally worked! I followed parsons steps exactly and wouldn't you know it. Barely any water came out when i unscrewed the plugs. But the boilers filled right up when i tightened them back up while the machine was running. Then it reached temperature quickly.

Only problem now is, it's going on midnight and I just had an excellent cup of espresso! I may be up for awhile..

Once again, thank you guys both for the quick responses. Glad to know I'm not alone out here in coffee snob-land!
    Last edited by freebird2000; 20th December 2016 at 04:02 PM. Reason: spelling
    LFM60 likes this.

freebird2000, you are entirely welcome. Before I figured that out I had already sent back and received a 2nd Oracle that did exactly the same thing. But before I did a 2nd swap I remembered that trick from my 920XL.

It is an airlock and it isn't just the Breville's that have the issue. Even my Alex from 11 years ago did it, but on most/many of the 'classics' the water is just straight mechanical valves and you just turn them on until a little water comes out and same at the portafilter. With the Oracle that isn't possible, hence the workaround.

BTW, if you had talked to Breville the answer would most likely have been to turn it off wait an hour and turn it back on. That does work for some didn't for me.

Anyway, glad to see that you are UP and running!
    matth3wh and LFM60 like this.

Good news freebird!

Hahaha no one is ever alone out here. Granted I haven't been around for a while, personal crap that took a while to fix, but I really did miss chatting and helping people out if I can.
    trentski likes this.

Hey guys,

Massive first world problem here..(Don't laugh)!

I've had this machine for two years now..never been able to get any form of latte art going..actually spent this morning making 12 coffees in a row..each time with varying techniques and parameters.

Without going into too much detail - has anybody been able to do simple latte art on this machine? The videos I've seen indicate it can be done but wanted to ask real world users.

If it's a yes then simply I'm doing something fundamentally wrong so at least it's still worth playing around with

Thanks!

I haven't tried an Oracle but can make pretty rosettas on the double boiler. Can you manually steam on the Oracle?

I can you also use the manual steam function as well on the oracle..I've tried so many different ways ..the milk does have the wet paint look and all too

Wouldn't dream of laughing at you, deevs009!

I can't do latte art to save my life. The last time I attempted it, the result looked like a cross between a nebulous cloud formation and a swirling turd (in other words, it looked like a normal coffee).

But these days that just doesn't cut it. Even the shoddiest flat white needs to be rolled out and slapped up with the Sistine Chapel - which is fine, just don't ask me to do it.

Haha I guess we share the pain..perhaps it's the steam wand on the Oracle that's not cutting it

Hopefully an Oracle owning can confirm they can consistently do art..at least I know it's me and not the machine hehe

...at least I know it's me and not the machine hehe
    Maybe, but don't be too hard on yourself. Obviously it's silly to just blame the machine for any undesired results, however some machines are better equipped for it than others.

I think it goes without saying you need a decent steam wand. Whether the Oracle's is up to the job, I wouldn't know, because I don't own one. Perhaps you might consider replacing your steam wand and/or tip with a more powerful upgrade (if that's possible)?

By the way, what's your location? You may not require their services for your purposes, however there are some extremely handy DIY people on this forum - one of them being the Coffee Machinist (he's in Melbourne). These guys can modify almost anything to improve a machine or grinder for specific purposes (like yours).

I don't want to preach what seems obvious, or what you already may know (or what's already been said a million times). But I'll throw in my two cents worth regardless...

* The two most important ingredients for latte art: 1) Decent pressure from steam wand 2) Fresh, full fat milk - preferably straight from the fridge. Some people will claim you need to kick things off with a strong crema, but that's up for debate (not that it would hurt).

* Steaming milk is an art on its own. Start by getting some air into the milk by keeping the nozzle just underneath the surface (but not too long, because the longer you leave it submerged, the more the foam will stiffen). The moment to stop steaming is when the pitcher gets too hot to hold in your hand.

* Hold the pitcher at a slight angle that folds the air over and over, creating a nice layer of microfoam.

* Then comes the tricky part. Slowly pour the milk in a swirl, a couple of inches above the cup (so you don't lose your entire foam to begin with). When you're close to filling the cup, gently wiggle/shake the pitcher to and fro, moving your hand back and working from one side of the cup to the other (depending on the pattern you want to create, obviously). You want those nice thick white stripes.

All easier said than done, of course!

https://d17oy1vhnax1f7.cloudfront.ne...-latte-art.gif

hot water flow thru spout

Hello all. This is my first post and I'm hoping that one of you fine folks can assist me.

I am having a love/hate relationship with my Oracle. Breville's help line is worthless.

Overall I am enjoying the shots produced by my machine but a problem surfaced a couple of days ago. The problem is the hot water dispensing system. When I push the hot water button the water pours normally for about 8 to 10 seconds and then slows to a trickle. I then immediately shut off the water flow. The pump has a noticeable change in sound. It gets quieter and sounds as if it's stressing out. Preparing the shot is no problem as the water flow through the group head works properly. I can prepare my shots normally but to make an Americano I must use hot water from another source or add tap water and heat my coffee in the microwave. Gross! I descaled the machine to see if that might correct the issue. It did not

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'm stuck and don't know what to do. The Oracle is about a year and a half old and sending the machine back to Breville is not an option because I live in Mexico. Any assistance would be highly appreciated.
    Last edited by MexTony; 25th December 2016 at 03:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deevs009 View Post
    Haha I guess we share the pain..perhaps it's the steam wand on the Oracle that's not cutting it

Hopefully an Oracle owning can confirm they can consistently do art..at least I know it's me and not the machine hehe

Most of the latte art videos on Youtube using BES980 are cleverly edited. Even the latte art champions doing manual froth. I would say latte art with auto froth is impossible.

Thank you!

We welcomed an Oracle on Sunday, and had fun setting it up & getting a great pour from our usual wonderful beans. But TOO strong. One cup had me over caffeinated enough to cause an international incident, and half of a 2 cup wasn't much better.
    My old machine was an automatic & let me choose dose size/strength - I was used to about 8g.
    I found this forum & read page after page of everyone having the same problem, trying to work around the overdose and pure waste of good coffee - first shot for the bin, a few shots to get grind right, etc etc.
    All the warranty problems were making me nervous, so I jumped to the last page, saw this photo and jumped for joy (seriously, I'd had 2 cups by 9am Mon morning).
    I immediately called the number, got straight through to a rep & he put one in the post.
    Anxiously awaiting its arrival, but cannot wait to be able to perfect my morning cappuccino without having to measure half of a small ammount and make a mess.
    All thanks to you.

Did you reduce the preinfusion time on single basket?

My single basket can't have the same setting as double basket. I have a naked portafilter, I can see the coffee spitting everywhere when I use single basket. I have 11.5g in the single basket, but it just flow too faster if I use the same grind size as double basket.

About 5 month ago my beloved Oracle broke down (showed "Err" in the display). Customer support here is the US was very responsive and I sent the machine in for repair. It came back 2 weeks later. Unfortunately it was still broken (same symptoms). I contacted customer support again and they quickly replaced it with a new unit.

When the original unit came back from repair, the technician added a note telling me to de-scale regularly. She even attached detailed instructions on how to de-scale.

A couple of weeks back I finally attempted the first de-scale. Afterwards the unit wouldn't warm up beyond 155 Fahrenheit. Poking around on the internet, I found a few people with similar problems. There was a suggestion to leaver the two boiler valves open for some time and that this resolved the problem. Didn't work for me even after having the valves open for more than 2 days.

I tried to run through a couple of de-scale cycles only using fresh water. No difference. I did observe that when draining the left boiler (left screw) the water is hot, while from the right boiler it is always completely cold, even when the machine was heated up to 155 degrees. So it seems that the right boiler is not heating up at all and this prevents the machine from heating to operating temperature.

I tried to contact customer support several times to no avail. They never responded to inquires through the support web-site. Calling the support number left me in a waiting loop forever. I tried a few times and eventually I opted to have me called back. Never received a call back.

I am rather disappointed with customer support and the reliability of the machine.

In any case, I am giving up on customer support and I am considering to open up the machine and see if there is some repair I could do myself. I am not looking forward to this, but it feels that the only other alternative is to have a $2000 paper weight sitting on my kitchen counter.

Any advice (instructions, videos, ...) on how to open the machine and maybe even some tips and tricks to resolve the problem?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by imtyr1 View Post
    Most of the latte art videos on Youtube using BES980 are cleverly edited. Even the latte art champions doing manual froth. I would say latte art with auto froth is impossible.
    A few years ago Breville ran a latte art competition at The Rocks Aroma Festival in Sydney. It was all done on Oracles and contestants got great art. They had the choice of auto or manual frothing.

I don’t use an Oracle but I do my brew on an antique Breville BES900 very manually.

I am not a latte artist. I make my coffee to drink, not to look at.

Barry..

We've been superseded! Breville have released a new A$3499 touch screen version (BES990BSS) of the Oracle. I can't see any change other than the touch screen?

https://www.breville.com.au/the-oracle-tm-touch.html

We've been superseded! Breville have released a new A$3499 touch screen version (BES990BSS) of the Oracle. I can't see any change other than the touch screen?
    $3500 for a Breville machine guess they'll sell a few.

How much poor publicity can a company sustain and still keep doing the same thing?

Wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.
    Magic_Matt likes this.

I'm in the US and checked Breville's US website, no BES990 showing. Doing the conversion seems that would be about $2700 USD, damned expensive touch screen!

Presumably they'll stop making the 980 so might be a chance to get a good price on one. They can't really expect to keep the price of the 990 that high once the 980 is gone.

We've been superseded! Breville have released a new A$3499 touch screen version (BES990BSS) of the Oracle. I can't see any change other than the touch screen? https://www.breville.com.au/the-oracle-tm-touch.html
    Hi wfdTamar, it looks like Breville have removed the option to manually froth the milk. (Note: no dial on the right side of the machine).
    So now it's all up to the electronics to get it right.

Breville are edging closer to a super automatic here so probably targeting small-med sized business kitchen or people who just want to push a button and get fairly decent coffee to come out with minimal-fuss* - We put the barista inside the machine so you don't have to be one!.
    * Sorry people, you'll still have to order coffee, put the beans in the hopper, wipe down the steam arm, and wash out the milk jug after using it... oh, and don't forget that cleaning descale for the boilers too

Price Comparison:
    Old Oracle RRP price was $2,599.00 BES980BKS.ANZ and I've seen it on rare special for $1699.
    Hopefully they'll knock $900 off the new Oracle's $3499 sticker price in a sale to help you think you're getting a steal and yet still be close to the max RRP of the old model.

In saying all that, and cynicism aside, it has the potential to be a tastier coffee making option for an office situation over a $2699-$3499 super auto.

Then again for the same money your office could have: a TrinityOne + Brazen + Breville Milk Cafe (auto milk frother) + Nuova Simonelli Oscar II + commercial grinder + a year's subscription of freshly delivered coffee in your office and probably still have change to spare.
    Last edited by matth3wh; 25th March 2017 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matth3wh View Post
    Hi wfdTamar, it looks like Breville have removed the option to manually froth the milk. (Note: no dial on the right side of the machine).
    So now it's all up to the electronics to get it right.
    [/font]
    The manual says you can still manually froth milk the steam wand then press and hold the milk button for 2 sec to manually texture your milk.

Probably should move further discussion of the new BES990 touch screen model (unless it relates to the 980) to the thread about it in the next price bracket up (at least until Breville get real about the RRP):

Breville Oracle Touch - Bes990XL

I recently bought a new house and have been slowly moving things over. The Oracle was moved just a day or two ago. I noticed something was awry when I plugged it in at the new house, but couldn't put my finger on just what the problem was. It worked fine, just seemed 'off' in some way.

This morning I got up and it was humming and temp was rocking around 150F and wouldn't come fully up to temp. Hmm.... I"ve seen this before! This is exactly what it did when I first got one, and others have noted the same issue on new ones too. So I unplugged it, opened up the drains and let it sit for a couple hours. Powered up with the drains open and waited for water to start flowing and shut them. Things are fine now, I was just a little surprised that this particular issue showed up on a machine that had already seen use.

Of note it seems that the left drain is the steam boiler and the right is the brew boiler. Got more water out of the right (brew) than I did out of the left.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by lparsons21 View Post

Thank you very much. It really worked

I just received my new Breville Oracle from Amazon. I've made half a dozen drinks and it seems to do an ok job, but I've noticed one very unsettling issue: after about 5 seconds of espresso extraction, the unit gets really loud and the thing sounds like it's going to blow up! It sounds like the pump may be bad or something. I noticed this sound when I first turned on the unit. I followed the "quick start" guide to a "T", and when I first powered it on, it got progressively louder. Here's a video that does a very good job of showing the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTLagND1pkQ

As the video shows, I can even make the sound just pouring hot water. As you can imagine, this is a bit concerning after dropping $2,000 on a new espresso machine.

After reading this forum, I saw several posts suggesting that I drain both boilers. I've done this twice and it doesn't seem to make any difference. For those familiar with that process, am I supposed to wait for each valve to dispense water prior to closing the valves (or just wait for any water, period)? In otherwords, after fully draining the boilers, I turn the unit on. Eventually, pumped water starts going into the drip tray. I close the valve on the right and the water flow stops (even though the left valve is still wide open). I've been closing the left valve immediately after closing the right valve, but I wonder if I'm supposed to gradually close the valves independently after water starts flowing out of each of them? (in order to purge air)

I appreciate any input you can provide - I'm not going to sit and tinker with something that Amazon will happily swap out, but if it's a stupid easy fix that won't compromise the integrity of my $2k investment, I'm happy to try it out. You've all shown that Breville support is not helpful, which is why I'm starting here

I plan on ordering a replacement from Amazon within 12 hours (and return this as DOA) unless an easy fix presents itself. Thanks for your time!

Bonus question: I'm in the USA ... can I get a single shot basket or are those still limited to outside USA?

Hi guys, Im starting to have an issue with my Oracle. It is not consistently tamping. What I mean is that sometimes it tamps correctly and other times its a very soft tamp. Its completely inconsistent. On a "soft" tamp I can feel by touch that its loose. I can knock it out into a cup and its just powder, like it has been polished but not tamped. Has anyone else experienced this?

Also just saw above there is a single basket available now??? Just about wet myself in glee. Does anyone know how i can get one?

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 LastLast