Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: Breville Oracle Owners Thread BES980XL

Hi everyone, my name is Matt. It's my first time here and I'm addicted to coffee.
    I gave in oracle ( hence why I'm here). Lately it's been leaking water (no, they drop tray is not full)
    the other issue I have is the milk wand/steam temperature had not been displaying and when I go to use it it does not work at all and just beeps at me twice. It's about 2 years old and out of warranty. Oracle support just tell me to go to a repair center but I don't have the money for it.
    Leaking water is a minor problem, the steamer not working is the big problem!
    Ot all started after a power outage in my house.
    ive tried descalling the machine as per oracle support request and this did nothing to help. If anyone has any suggestions that would be awesome!
    For a sense or urgency, Im now using a delonghi nesprsso machine.

I'm one of the people who experienced the noise and, while I cannot tell you what exactly it is (you've already seen speculation here and, if memory serves, Breville never weighed in with something definitive), I can tell you it seems to be a mortal problem. After my working machine gave up the ghost with an error notice (don't recall which one) on the LCD (pushed shot buttoon one day; no noise; no nothing; get error; it's dead), I contacted Breville and they said send it back and we'll fix it or replace it.

Now the tale of they comedy of errors dealing with Breville support is another story (also mentioned with frequency here) for another time. In the end, though -- after weeks of waiting and missteps -- they told me to await the brand new Oracle they were sending, use the box to ship the dead one back to them, and we'd be square. I thought this more than fair since (1) it was a few months out of warranty, and (2) though new and with a warranty on file, I bought it on eBay ... so you know.

If it were me (and I'm not surgeon -- just a retired college president with no evident mechanical skillset), I'd contact Breville, warranty or no, and see what they say. But do let us know what the narrative turns out to be if you open it up, and good luck!

Dam

Descaling the Oracle

hi guys,

Since this morning, after 3 years, my oracle asks me for a Descaling.Should I do it (so far everything is fine I do not want to damage it) ? Which descaling produce to use in Australia ?

Thank you

I just bought my BES980 a week ago.

A lot of the times when the machine grinds and tamps coffee, the ground coffee in the portafilter is not polished. I can clearly see the "footprint" of the tamping fan.
    When the machine automatically doses and grinds, normally first you hear the resistance of the tamping fan going up, before you can hear it going down, until it doesn't have any resistance at all and it turning a little bit faster. (no resistance = correct polishing)
    When the problem occurs, after the grinding stops I hear the tamping fan having to cope with this resistance, and right until it stops turning.

My feeling is that the this is because the grinding fase stops too late, so there's too much coffee in the portafilter. Because of that the ground coffee can't be polished.
    Once when I removed the tamping fan, alot of ground coffee came down that was piled up above the tamping fan.
    If it's true that too much coffee is ground, why does the grinding doesn't stop earlier?

Could it be that the ground coffee slips in the double-shot filter?
    Is the grind-size of 30 too coarse?
    Is there something wrong with the machine itself?

I noticed the single-shot filter (that came available after a few years) is sandblasted inside. I guess they had a good reason for that. Why did Breville not sandblast the double-shot filter?

Quote Originally Posted by milka View Post
    Hi all,

Have had my Breville Oracle for nearly 12 months after coming from a Jura Micro ENA 9. Been really enjoying the quality out of the machine after realising it needs pretty fresh beans to work properly. That point alone has put me in contact with some roasters in my local area (Bayside in Melbourne, AUS), so win win!

Late last week my Oracle developed an interesting issue. All of the beans I've previously used in the machine have had a grind dial setting of between 20 and 23, with good results. All of a sudden I had a grind take ages (with beans I'd used many times before), and it produced a puck that was so compacted no water could flow through. Bit of trial and error later I found that all of a sudden the required grind dial setting to produce a viable shot was up at 36!!!

Has anyone encountered anything like this before?
    Finally got my Oracle back from Espresso Fix in Balwyn. Long round about due to the couriers damaging the unit and needing to wait for spare parts from Breville.... don't really appreciate how good the Oracle is until you go without it for a couple of months!

Anyhow, if anyone else experiences what I described above, it's because the lower burr needs to be re-seated. Bit surprised this happened to the machine inside 12 months of use, but the guys at Espresso Fix said it's reasonably common and it's something they look at as part of their Oracle servicing... I've found some instructions online for doing it yourself, but I'd only go down that path if there wasn't another option... looked messy...

Power button contiues to flash

Hi,

Until the other day my Oracle was working fine. All of a sudden the power button continually flashes and does not stop. I know it flashes whilst heating up to operating temperature however this keeps flashing like it is not reaching the correct temperature. I can still grind coffee and even steam milk but I can not extract coffee. It is almost like the boiler servicing the group head is not reaching temperature or thermostat may be faulty.

I did a descale and left the machine turned off overnight. When I turned it on in the morning it worked fine. No issues. Then when I turned it on to make another coffee the issue had returned.

The machine was bought in Feb 2015 so is no longer under warranty. This is the second issue I have had but luckily the first was just before the warranty expired so was covered.

I had a Saeco for about 6 years, prior to the Oracle and that did not miss a beat, not one issue. Not sure I would buy a Breville coffee machine again.

Any thoughts or suggestion appreciated.

Guys, I've been contemplating whether to buy this machine or simply buy a good grinder (e.g. Baratza Sette 270W) and good machine (not necessary by Breville). I've spent hours and hours but I can't simply make my mind.

If you haven't bought your Oracle 980 xl now, and knowing what you know now, would you still buy the oracle today?

Help with new Breville Oracle machine

Hi we purchased the Breville Oracle espresso machine yesterday and I can't get the settings right. I am using Lavazza Oro beans, grind 20 and it's coming out bitter. We drink both flat white and espresso coffee and the white coffee is drinkable but not great. The black coffee is very bitter. Has anyone got this machine and have some tips for the settings? I'm going to try a different coffee bean too
    sageybadegey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sageybadegey View Post
    If you haven't bought your Oracle 980 xl now, and knowing what you know now, would you still buy the oracle today?
    To be honest, if your budget stretches to an Oracle, I would be looking at a grinder and good HX machine. The setup will last for years and will remain pretty much bulletproof as long as it is looked after.
    level3ninja and sageybadegey like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cfgilmore View Post
    Hi we purchased the Breville Oracle espresso machine yesterday and I can't get the settings right. I am using Lavazza Oro beans, grind 20 and it's coming out bitter. We drink both flat white and espresso coffee and the white coffee is drinkable but not great. The black coffee is very bitter. Has anyone got this machine and have some tips for the settings? I'm going to try a different coffee bean too
    The beans are the most likely problem, see how you go with some freshly roasted specialty coffee like is available in the Bean Bay section of this website, or in a pinch try Aldi medium roast (might be fresh, depends on store turnover)
    Last edited by level3ninja; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:02 PM. Reason: Autocorrect
    cfgilmore likes this.

Hi we purchased the Breville Oracle espresso machine yesterday and I can't get the settings right. I am using Lavazza Oro beans, grind 20 and it's coming out bitter.
    Agree with above - the beans are the weakest link here.

The rule "rubbish in, rubbish out" very much holds true with espresso - both for beans and dosing, distribution and tamping technique!

Breville have some good videos on Youtube about dialling the machine in, but basically the rule of ~30ml in 25-30s is the aim (or 60ml if catching both spouts).
    cfgilmore likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dbun View Post
    To be honest, if your budget stretches to an Oracle, I would be looking at a grinder and good HX machine. The setup will last for years and will remain pretty much bulletproof as long as it is looked after.
    for AUD 2k, what's the best grinder + hx machine combo would you recommend?

Hi sageybadegey I really like my Nuova Simonelli Oscar 2. ($1400 odd) and Casa espresso has a special on macap m2m grinders for $400 so that would leave you change for a tamper, milk jug, knock box ect if needed or lots of beans.

could spend a bit more on a grinder and got the eureka atom from Casa for $1000.....

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    The beans are the most likely problem, see how you go with some freshly roasted specialty coffee like is available in the Bean Bay section of this website, or in a pinch try Aldi medium roast (might be fresh, depends on store turnover)
    Hi thanks for your advice. I'm happy to say I took your advice and found a local bean roaster and bought fresh beans. I now have amazing coffee from my machine! Both espresso and flat white equally great. Thanks

Hi thanks for your advice. I'm happy to say I took your advice and found a local bean roaster and bought fresh beans. I now have amazing coffee from my machine! Both espresso and flat white equally great. Thanks
    Awesome, always like an easy fix!

Quote Originally Posted by milka View Post
    Finally got my Oracle back from Espresso Fix in Balwyn. Long round about due to the couriers damaging the unit and needing to wait for spare parts from Breville.... don't really appreciate how good the Oracle is until you go without it for a couple of months!

Anyhow, if anyone else experiences what I described above, it's because the lower burr needs to be re-seated. Bit surprised this happened to the machine inside 12 months of use, but the guys at Espresso Fix said it's reasonably common and it's something they look at as part of their Oracle servicing... I've found some instructions online for doing it yourself, but I'd only go down that path if there wasn't another option... looked messy...
    Unfortunately the fix hasn't lasted... my machine has suddenly jumped from producing a wonderful coffee from my regular beans at around 19 on the grind dial up to 26... this has been confirmed with 2 sets of beans...

No one else seeing issues like this with their Oracle? I wonder if I should push to get the lower burr assembly replaced...

guys for single (timed) shot, is the best setting 25seconds or 30 seconds or 20 seconds? In the manual I downloaded it mentions that i should get 30ml in 20 seconds. I'm confused.

to help me out, let's say you dialled in the right grind, what's the optimal settings for 1 cup and 2 cup?

guys for single (timed) shot, is the best setting 25seconds or 30 seconds or 20 seconds? In the manual I downloaded it mentions that i should get 30ml in 20 seconds. I'm confused.
    30 ml in 30 seconds will be a guide - but truth be told there are very few hard and fast rules. You will simply need to play with the grind settings and continue to taste until something is 'good'. Also switching beans will mean you will likely need to change the settings, although probably only marginally.

30ml in 30 seconds for a single is pretty much accepted as a standard, you can adjust for preferences from there.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18