Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: Lelit Mara (PL62) Review

Day 3

A bit of an update from yesterday:

I tried playing with lower doses, no problem at all, had decent pours with 15g (needed to adjust the grind) but if you don't weigh it, it is very hard (for me) to achieve the consistency in a larger basket. For the sake of consistency and lack of time I decided to "updose" to 15-20. Extra coffee also brings more punch to the drink so win-win. Yirgi I had this morning was out of this world :-)

Need to go out and get some more beans, I went through all of it while testing in the last few days. I roasted a batch yesterday and will give it a bit more time to rest.

I also had some decent light in the kitchen yesterday and took a few more photos, I was hoping to do machine the justice, it really is a beautiful piece of hardware, I am in love. :-)

http://1drv.ms/1DNiDKw
    tonto likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jabbba View Post
    I did notice that it likes a lot of coffee. I am using around 22g in a double most of the time, and one of my requirements was that I was hoping to get a good double from 15-16 grams. Do you think I should try a "single" basket to try to achieve that? I really don't have time to roast every few days and this would be a tremendous help. I am trying to avoid going back to VSTs and introduce another unknown until I have a bit more confidence with the included baskets.
    That's certainly different to my experience. I don't understand how and why, if the machines really are identical. I found that the IMS laser cut shower screen gave a little more head room than the standard screen, but only by -1 gram. My experience with the standard screen and basket was that dosing had to be fairly precise. I've been using some SO roasts lately that have a small bean size and I've found that these grind into a smaller volume and also need to be ground finer, so I am using several more grams to get the same dose volume, but only a few, and only for certain roasts. Certainly not with standard roasts. You're up-dosing by around 7 and that's a heck of a lot.

On other matters ... yes the included tamper is good quality, but don't you find that it's a slightly loose fit in a standard 58mm basket.

I agree that there's nothing much to be about the 3-way dribble. That large diamond hole needs to be a bit larger. Perhaps Charlie can feed that back to Lelit.

I don't find steaming small quantities of milk easy either, largely because I do so little of it. I guess practice is the key - I need a lot more than I'm getting. Not much call for milk-based drinks around here at the moment, since the latte drinker has started watching her weight. There is a post somewhere on CS about how to steam with a multi-nozzle tip, which I found very helpful. The Mara has only two holes, and I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes.

Steve - if you find a better tip, you'll let us know? I have to keep my kit completely synced with yours.

p.s. Nice shots. Good to see a CSer with a decent camera that he/she knows how to use!
    Last edited by gunda; 26th October 2014 at 01:27 PM. Reason: p.s.
    jabbba likes this.

Two weeks in with the machine now, and noticed a first issue yesterday. The steaming valve knob is making a very loud squeal when turned for the last couple of days. I can't see any water coming out, but very disturbing from a brand new machine.

Did you guys notice it?

Not noticed it here, but I don't steam all that often. Call Jetblack I guess.

Two weeks in with the machine now, and noticed a first issue yesterday. The steaming valve knob is making a very loud squeal when turned for the last couple of days. I can't see any water coming out, but very disturbing from a brand new machine.

Did you guys notice it?
    Yes, it was the first thing I noticed after a day or two using my machine. I agree it was pretty off putting sound for the amount of $ I just spent.
    Both steam and hot water knobs would screech each time they were turned.
    The threads were as dry as a......so I removed the knobs and applied the smallest amount of Inox grease and all is was well.

Only thing is be careful removing and reinstalling the little E type circlips that hold the innards of the knob on. I lost one (flew off) while attempting to get it back on. Jet black didn't or don't have any such spare clips in their service department and forgot about finding me some, so I had to go find my own online, a couple of $ for 5 of them.

Site Sponsor

Did you guys notice it?
    Hi Jabba,

Sounds like you need a little more food grade grease on the steam knob spindle. Will send some off to you tomorrow,

charlie

Had a play with mine again in light of this. No noise, but the turning of the knob(s) could be a little smoother. How do I get the knobs off and where do I get food-grade grease?

Quote Originally Posted by JetBlack_Espresso View Post
    Hi Jabba,

Sounds like you need a little more food grade grease on the steam knob spindle. Will send some off to you tomorrow,

charlie
    Thanks Charlie,

Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by gunda View Post
    Had a play with mine again in light of this. No noise, but the turning of the knob(s) could be a little smoother. How do I get the knobs off and where do I get food-grade grease?
    Food grade grease in small tubes can be found in Bunnings plumbing section
    gunda likes this.

TC

I was tempted to apply some wd40. Would that cause any damage?

TC
    I was tempted to apply some wd40. Would that cause any damage?
    Don't. It stinks and is not food safe. Seals don't much like it either. Shell out the few $ required to purchase a safe product designed for the task.

Thanks for this review thread, it went toward me deciding on getting the Mara myself, just today in fact. Made the trek from my place on the south side of Sydney up to Jetblack and glad I did, seems like my research paid off. First impressions of the Mara are very good, just about nailed my first piccolo. It will take a bit of getting used to this type of machine after my previous ones but I like the relative simplicity of function and lack of electronic gadgetry, putting more onus on the operator to develop the skills.
    Dimal and gunda like this.

Congrats... Let us know how you go.

The most challenging part for me was frothing milk, but I think I nailed it now. The combination of better milk and some practice, and I am very happy with the results. It didn't take long to get a hang of it.

Congrats... Let us know how you go.

The most challenging part for me was frothing milk, but I think I nailed it now. The combination of better milk and some practice, and I am very happy with the results. It didn't take long to get a hang of it.
    Yeah, I'm re-learning milk frothing after I had it down pat with the BBD. I'm often making just a piccolo for myself and the small volume of milk is challenging, but I'll get there. I'm getting good with the extraction/pours too although I'm wondering if I need to up-grade form my Sunbeam grinder and get one that measures/controls the dose for more consistency.

Lots more to learn.

Question -
    When I turn the Mara on a small amount of water comes out of the group head, with or without the group handle attached. Has anyone else experienced this with their Lelit Mara? It's only a small amount of water, about 30ml or so for a couple of seconds then stops and it's fine after that. I have checked the shot lever is properly closed, not that.
    Also, when backflushing, does the water come out of the down pipe automatically when max pressure is reached? or do I have to manually release it by pushing the shot lever down? I've been doing the latter for fear of overworking the pump. The shot lever is spring loaded for pressure release operation.

By the way, I'm making some seriously nice piccolos of late.
    Thanks
    Steve

I've not noticed any water coming out of the group head at start up. This doesn't sound right to me. Normally at start up the pump runs for a few seconds, but that's all.

You have to manually release the pressure for each backflush. My understanding is that you don't leave it at maximum pressure for too long, for the reasons you mentioned. Did you get some cleaning and maintenance instructions from Jetblack included with the machine?

Yes, I did receive the cleaning instructions and some of the powder. I might have to take the machine back to Jet-black for a check in regard to the water discharge at start up.

Please keep us posted. I also haven't noticed anything like that. Few odd drops here and there but that's about it.

You also mentioned you were thinking about changing your grinder to make the dosing more consistent. If you like your shots when you get them right, I think the grinder is fine. Probably better to adjust your technique a little or buy some of the dosing tools to help you get the consistency you need. I can't help you there, I am so excited about the possibilities this machine offers that I keep changing things and almost never do the same thing more than 3-4 times in a row. But when I just started with it and was learning about it, I was very patient and results were great. What worked the best was updosing and the only change I was making was the grind.

Enough of that, I am about one month in now and still in love. Last night I had a full house and probably pulled 12-13 shots, and steamed heaps of milk. Machine was rock solid throughout. I am switching between two spout portafilter with 18g VST (about 22-24g of coffee in it) for two singles and one spout with 15g VST (18-19g of coffee) for a double. I still hate the tray, actually I hate it more and more, I can't believe after all the testing before was machine was out for production nobody really found anything wrong with it. It is not just the are around the 3-way but also the mess can easily created on the whole surface. I hope someone comes out with a solution to this, or the manufacturer starts selling a different style tray.

Another thing that potential buyers should be aware of, taller cups can be an issue. Trying to pull shots into two tall cups (or medium tall with smaller openings) is near impossible. Not a biggie for me, but it was an issue on a couple of occasions. Because of this, the only way for me to use my favourite 100ml double wall glasses for piccolos is to lean them on one side while pulling the shot.

with 18g VST (about 22-24g of coffee in it) for two singles
    Really? I can't get anything like that in, and that's with the IMS shower screen with gives a little more headroom. Is this a lighter roast that you're grinding fairly fine?

I can live with the tray (rattles, a little mess) but it is a bit of a weak point.

I got a naked p/f for tall cups, but that won't work for trying to spit the shot. I wanted compact and this was one of the trade-offs that I was prepared to wear.

Yeah, my roasts are usually around CS8-9, maybe I should try playing with darker roasts. There is so much flavour coming out of this machine that I just can't even think about doing anything else. The cup size is not a biggie for me but it could be for some people so I wanted to highlight it.

Just a quick update on my Lelit Mara and the "problem" of water combine from the group head when first switching on - no problem at all with the machine, just my lack of understanding of how the shot leaver works and the positions. Did a barista course today and the first thing I found out, from one of the other participants, was that I wasn't closing it off fully. So when I turned it on the lever was actually set in the pre-extraction stage or whatever it's called, hence the small flow of water. And I thought I was there to learn how to make good coffee....DUH! I did learn quite a bit about how to get good coffees, thanks guys.
    Meanwhile, the machine is a beauty and I'm very satisfied with the quality of shots I'm now able to pull. Next stop - latte art!
    Dimal, jabbba and gunda like this.

Hi folks, I just received my new PL62S Mara from 1st Line (I'm in the US). This is definitely the most comprehensive thread I've found on the web covering this machine, and it played a not insignificant part in my decision to go with the Mara over other introductory-level HX machines. Kudos to you all!

My question for you all had to do with the shot lever. I've read several threads dedicated to E61 shot lever functionality over on home-barista, although none referencing the Mara specifically, and from what I gather the middle position on the lever works differently in different E61 machines. For some machines (eg Quickmill) putting the lever in the middle position allows a small amount of water to hit the puck, albeit not under pressure (unless the machine in plumbed, in which case it hits the pick with line pressure). For other machines, the middle position retains whatever pressure is already in the chamber (ie the down valve is closed), but water is kept away from the puck.

For the Mara, have you all determined whether the middle position on the shot lever allows water to hit the puck? Assuming it does not, have you found a use for the middle position? I'm trying to figure out whether I should be letting the lever rest in the middle position for a few seconds before lifting it all the way to extract coffee (or before releasing water pressure upon completing an extraction), or whether I should skip it and go from full down to full up and back to full down.

@Steve56 - did they teach you anything about this in your barista class?

If you can't tell, I'm a newbie with E61 machines, and HX machines more broadly. My experience has been with single boilers. Incidentally, I'm thrilled with my purchase, no buyers remorse at all, but I still have a lot of learning to do to dial things in. (I'm using a Baratza Preciso grinder.) The steam wand is a bit of a challenge, but I managed to get some microfoam this morning! Tonight my foam was not as good, bit practice makes perfect.

Many thanks in advance!

Hi Thunder, yes they did explain the shot lever positioning to me as I referred to in my last post. My understanding is that the middle position does allow water to hit the puck but not under pressure, as you will see by the pressure gauge. This is for pre-infusion, if thats the correct term, but as far as weather or not you want to use that function, it's a personal choice if I remember correctly. Hopefully others with more experience will chip in.
    The Mara is my first E61 machine too and I'm loving it! I'm now making consistently good piccolos, lattes, flat whites, even cappuccino (without the choice on top). I did a barista course last Saturday which was most useful, I was already pulling pretty good shots but the course filled in some gaps and ironed out some bad habits for me - thanks to Andrew at Jetblack.
    Keep practicing Thunder, you're in for fun ride to cremma heaven.
    Steve

That's not my understanding of the middle position of the shot lever. I thought that it shut off the water flow to the group head and released pressure via the 3-way valve (the pipe from which water flows to the drip tray).

I put mine into the middle position and turned it on from cold and nothing came out. I can check again tomorrow when it's hot, but my recollection is that it's the same.

Pre-infusion in this design is something inherent and not something that you can control, as I understand it.

Can someone confirm of correct this?

That's not my understanding of the middle position of the shot lever. I thought that it shut off the water flow to the group head and released pressure via the 3-way valve (the pipe from which water flows to the drip tray).

I put mine into the middle position and turned it on from cold and nothing came out. I can check again tomorrow when it's hot, but my recollection is that it's the same.

Pre-infusion in this design is something inherent and not something that you can control, as I understand it.

Can someone confirm of correct this?
    Read this thread, E61 pre-pre-infusion

IMO the 4 seconds or so of native pre infusion works fine. The pump engages at the halfway point on my Mara anyway. I can only see trying to dribble out some water prior to this being pointless / detrimental to the water temperature / HX balance when the shot actually commences.

Hmmm, back to square 1 for me in regard to the middle position of the shot lever, pre-infusion and such. All I can say is that on my Mara, when I turn it on cold with the lever in the middle position, a small amount of water trickles out of the group head a few seconds after turning on. When I move the lever from fully suppressed to the middle position (machine fully warmed up) without the group handle attached - nothing comes out. At the recent barista course I was specifically told that at the end of pulling a shot, the lever should be fully suppressed i.e. past the middle position and through the flush stage.
    I'm contemplating contacting Lelit direct for some detailed instructions, what came with the machine is insufficient really.

Ack, repeat post, sorry! Nothing loaded on Tapatalk past post #72 for reasons I don't understand. Steve56, Gunda, thanks for your responses. Several threads point to the middle position behaving differently on different E61 designs, so this might require done experimentation on our machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve82 View Post
    The pump engages at the halfway point on my Mara anyway.
    Do you mean at the half-way point on the shot lever, Steve? Mine does nothing at this point when lifted up.

Quote Originally Posted by since56 View Post
    All I can say is that on my Mara, when I turn it on cold with the lever in the middle position, a small amount of water trickles out of the group head a few seconds after turning on.
    I still think that this isn't right. But I don't know what to make of it.

When I move the lever from fully suppressed to the middle position (machine fully warmed up) without the group handle attached - nothing comes out.
    This sounds right,

Do you mean at the half-way point on the shot lever, Steve? Mine does nothing at this point when lifted up
    Yes at the half way point the pump will engage, nothing comes out ( cam is obviously still closed) and the pressure reading will shoot up. With a fully hot running machine, even if I just lift the lever a smaller amount to avoid the pump kicking in, nothing comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve82 View Post
    Yes at the half way point the pump will engage, nothing comes out ( cam is obviously still closed) and the pressure reading will shoot up. With a fully hot running machine, even if I just lift the lever a smaller amount to avoid the pump kicking in, nothing comes out.
    That doesn't happen here. Nothing happens at the half-way point. No pump, and therefore no water. Clearly one of our machines is adjusted incorrectly. I need to speak with Charlie tomorrow anyway, and so will raise this as well.

Mine is behaving similar to Gunda's. When going from fully down to midway, I get no pump. I can't tell whether water is hitting the puck or not (nothing is coming out, but that might just be because not waiting long enough). Tonight I'll try moving the lever to halfway, waiting, then removing the portafilter to see if the puck is wet.

On a related note, I've noticed that when moving the lever from fully open to midway, water is being dumped out of the 3way valve. This surprises me, since I'd thought the "exhaust" is supposed to remain closed until the valve is fully down.

Are you guys getting similar results when going from open to midway?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder240 View Post
    Yes, speaking just for myself.

Mine is behaving similar to Gunda's. When going from fully down to midway, I get no pump. I can't tell whether water is hitting the puck or not (nothing is coming out, but that might just be because not waiting long enough). Tonight I'll try moving the lever to halfway, waiting, then removing the portafilter to see if the puck is wet.

On a related note, I've noticed that when moving the lever from fully open to midway, water is being dumped out of the 3way valve. This surprises me, since I'd thought the "exhaust" is supposed to remain closed until the valve is fully down.

This doesn't happen for me, no water out of the 3way until I suppress through the midway and into the spring loaded exhaust stage, then a flush of water comes out through the 3way. There seems to be some variation in the adjustments of our machines, at least I'm guessing thats what it might be.

OK, so I did some online searching for videos of the Mara in operation and found there are a few out there. I have a posted a link to an American one because it shows the most about the machine itself, including the operation of the shot lever and the mid-stage pre-infusion. However, I would suggest you ignore the actual brewing and frothing technique for obvious reasons, just focus on the machine parts and functions. I found out a couple of things and feel satisfied, for now at least, about the function of the shot lever. See what you think and do your own search, as I said there are a few different vids on Youtube -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eef8GdJy1ZE

Steve

Lelit Mara (PL62) Review

Steve, fantastic, thanks! Although I'm not convinced that there aren't some unintended tuning/regulation differences that we've uncovered among ourselves. I do agree with the earlier suggestion that someone ought to call LeLit and inquire what is going on.

In other news, last night I was up til 3:30am grading student exams. Imagine my delight when this morning I poured a true thing of beauty, a cortado that any New Yorker would have paid $4+ in a cafe! Delicious caramel tiger striped crema and tons of velvety microfoam. I even gave my first-ever try at latte art, though clearly I need some practice. (It was a cortado after all, not a lot of volume to work with!)

---------

Edit: I should add, 30 sec extraction, not a hint of sour but enough oomph to cut through the milk. It probably would have made a fantastic ristretto. Grind setting 3G on the Preciso, in case anyone else is using the same grinder.

I've been in contact with Charlie and he said that he will respond here shortly about the intermediate position of the shot lever.

Can I ask another question of Mara owners? What pressure do you get for the brew pressure with a blind filter in place? The ideal pressure at the brew head is supposed to be about 9. My gauge says 10.8-11. Now the gauge and OPV are at some distance from the group head, and so you'd expect it to read higher, but how much higher? I'm interested in what the readings are for other machines. (It's not hard to adjust this, but in order to do so, ideally you need a device to measure the pressure at the brew head.)

Sounds like another question for Charlie gunda...

I imagine that Charlie checks every machine before it heads out the door with a Scace Device or similar, and given that Gauges will vary a little bit between one machine and another, this is not a very reliable way to determine Group Head Pressure...

Mal.

I've already talked to Charlie, who was helpful as ever.

The question stands. Some variation is to be expected between machines. I'm interested in how much there is.
    Last edited by gunda; 18th December 2014 at 01:41 PM. Reason: clarification on question

Site Sponsor
    Hi Mara owners,

E61 Lever group head operation
    =====================
    The lever does two things - it operates the valves in the group head (brew, infusion, drain) and depresses the microswitch to start the pump.

Lever Down: pump is off, brew valve closed, drain valve open. When the drain valve opens, all the pressure built up in the group head during the extraction or backflushing is expelled into the drip tray
    Lever Middle: pump is off. All valves closed. So no brew water enters group head via brew valve or leaves it via drain valve. The only reason I can think of for using this position is if you want the end of the shot to gradually decrease to zero BAR. I guess a bit like the end of a Lever shot.
    Lever All the way Up: pump on, brew valve open, drain valve closed. So water enters group head under pump pressure. If there is coffee or a blind filter in the way, pressure builds.

Pre Infusion on E61 Lever machines
    ============================
    Pre infusion happens automatically in the E61 Lever group head when the lever is lifted to the top position. The Infusion valve (aka the middle valve) opens against a spring as the brew pressure rises. When the infusion chamber is full (chamber just above the drain valve) full pressure is exerted on the coffee (or blind filter). You'll notice this if you are listening for it or watching your brew pressure gauge when pulling a shot or backflushing. The pressure builds gradually and then hits a maximum. The gradual rise in pressure is a result of the infusion chamber slowly filling.

On the Mara (as for any tanked E61 machine) you're not going to get pre-infusion simply by lifting the lever a little past the midway point. But you can on a plumbed machine. You do this by lifting the lever a little to open the brew valve but not so far that the pump starts. So effectively you'll have line pressure acting on the coffee (2 or 3 BAR in most areas). Then when you think it's time, lift the lever further to get the pump on and you'll get full pressure. On a tanked E61 Lever machine, if you lift the lever just past middle to open the brew valve without starting the pump, you may get a small trickle of water. This is just a trickle from the HX pipe which usually won't be enough to fully wet the puck.

Brew pressure versus gauge pressure
    ============================
    We know that gauge pressure reads higher than pressure at the group head due to the pressure loss between where the gauge picks up its pressure and where the group head is. We set the OPV to give us 9BAR at the group head (using a Scace or similar). This results in 10 - 11BAR at the gauge. Note that brew pressure will be a little lower than pressure indicated when backflushing. Also, brew pressure will depend on the coffee in the filter. We'd expect to see some amount of variation from machine to machine but the gauge on the Mara is pretty consistent as far as gauges go.

charlie

Thank you Charlie, that was incredibly informative.

Great info Charlie...

My machine goes up to 10 with the blind filter. When brewing, the sweet spot and best shots pulled are when it goes to about 9.85-9.90.

I am now almost two months in on this journey and still loving it. The biggest surprise for me is the consistency, I was under the impression that the skill required to handle such a powerful machine should be very high, but now I know that anybody can do it consistently by just following the basics.
    gunda likes this.

I found out a couple of things and feel satisfied, for now at least, about the function of the shot lever. See what you think and do your own search, as I said there are a few different vids on Youtube -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eef8GdJy1ZE

Steve
    Just had a look at this video. Very surprised to see the cheap tamper and the lack of a single spout portafilter in the American version. Australian version feels more premium in comparison but not quite double, as the price we have to pay suggests :-)

I actually bought mine from 1st line. They sell two models, the cheaper one that was shown in the video (comes with one portafilter, cheap tamper) and a version that has a PID as well as some premium amenities (e.g two portafiltets, metal tamper, etc). We pay 300 or 400 more for the high-end model (well, I didn't, but other Americans do!)

I've had a look at my machine again in light of Charlie's helpful post, and with the shot lever at the intermediate position, the cam at the other end of the shot lever is just touching the micro-switch button but not depressing it at all. As soon as you move the shot lever up past this point the micro-switch button starts to be depressed by the cam. I think that this is the correct adjustment, but it sounds like some others might be a little out of adjustment

My machine goes up to 10 with the blind filter. When brewing, the sweet spot and best shots pulled are when it goes to about 9.85-9.90.
    Thanks jabba. Notwithstanding the responses above, I'm still interested to hear what other Mara users have as the brew pressure with a blind filter in. Mine seems to be at the upper end of the range and jabba's at the lower end. It seems like a wide range to me. I think it's worthwhile getting an understanding of what the machine to machine variation. It might help someone diagnose whether a machine had drifted out of adjustment.

Mine also goes to 10 with the blind filter.
    gunda likes this.

Blind a whisker over 9.5

Shots between 9 and 9.5
    gunda likes this.

I hit 10 consistently with a blind filter. During extractions I get somewhere between 9 and a hair over 9.6 depending on grind/dose/tamp.

In terms of steam pressure, the pressurestat is set to 0.9-1.1. I'm thinking of dialing it up, since I'm not getting quite the quantity of steam that I want.

How are your pressurestats set?

I thought the magic number for boiler pressure was 1.1, at least on this machine, so mine is set to a 1.05 - 1.2 range, roughly. Might be useful getting some comparative numbers on this reading as well.

I hit 10 consistently with a blind filter. During extractions I get somewhere between 9 and a hair over 9.6 depending on grind/dose/tamp.

In terms of steam pressure, the pressurestat is set to 0.9-1.1. I'm thinking of dialling it up, since I'm not getting quite the quantity of steam that I want.

How are your pressurestats set?
    Yes this is pretty close to how mine came. Its a bit on the low side and you may want to go a touch higher.

I advise caution in making the adjustment, you probably only need to move the adjustment screw in the + direction about 1mm then observe how the machine cycles over a hour or so before making any further adjustments.

My machine is currently in the realm of 1.1 to 1.3, mostly sits idle around 1.2. I find this is pretty well balanced in terms of steam and brew temps.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast