Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: Lelit Mara (PL62) Review

If it's about the Mara, I'd just post in this thread. Keeps it all together. Unless one of the Admins has a different idea.

Hey everyone, I'm curious what sort of pre-flush procedure you use with the Mara? I'd expect that it will vary based on how you've set your pressurestat, so if you respond with a description of your procedure, please also state your pressurestat setting. Thanks!

Site Sponsor
    Keep in mind Thunder that the Aus spec Mara is a little different to most (all?) other markets and this is particularly the case with the HX specification. For the Aus spec,we recommend no cooling flush before pulling the shot and if a cleaning flush is required we recommend this happen after a shot rather than immediately before one. For other markets, (and for any machine generally I guess) if you're getting some hissing when first activating the brew lever, a short cooling flush which is just enough to get rid of the hissing will put you in the zone.

And in other news, the Mara (PL62 and PL62S) has just started shipping with an internal PID controller so the pstat is gone! The PL62T retains the full (adjustable) PID.

charlie
    Dimal, SniffCoffee and TC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JetBlack_Espresso View Post
    And in other news, the Mara (PL62 and PL62S) has just started shipping with an internal PID controller so the pstat is gone! The PL62T retains the full (adjustable) PID.
    Will a retro-fit be possible? Are you going to import the T?

Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by gunda View Post
    Will a retro-fit be possible? Are you going to import the T?
    Yes to retrofit. Now that the 62 has built in PID the 62T is less compelling IMO.

charlie

Will it be possible to (user-)adjust the built-in PID?

Site Sponsor
    No, the built in PID isn't adjustable.

Pity. That means that the T remains compelling IMO.

Keep in mind Thunder that the Aus spec Mara is a little different to most (all?) other markets and this is particularly the case with the HX specification. For the Aus spec,we recommend no cooling flush before pulling the shot and if a cleaning flush is required we recommend this happen after a shot rather than immediately before one. For other markets, (and for any machine generally I guess) if you're getting some hissing when first activating the brew lever, a short cooling flush which is just enough to get rid of the hissing will put you in the zone.

charlie
    Thanks Charlie for the tip!

For other US-market Mara owners, please feel free to respond. I'm especially interested in hearing how long after the hissing stops and you have disengaged the brew lever do you let your machine idle before pulling your shot (i.e. the recovery time of your machine). Mine doesn't always hiss -- generally only after its idled for 2+ hours. However, since I never know in advance, I usually end up pulling the lever to check.

Charlie, do you know if the PID retrofit is specific to the AUS market, or will it work on my US market machine?

Site Sponsor
    The retrofit kits we have are 230V so won't work on your machine Thunder. But you may be able to source them in the US in the not too distant future,

charlie

Ok, I'll google it periodically

when you guys say that you adjust the steam pressure to range between 1.0 -1.2 etc etc does that mean that for 1.2 the needle is on the first marker after the one? (I only realised the markers were every 0.2 instead of 0.1!) just curious what others have set up

Site Sponsor
    Yes, when 1.2 is quoted, it means 1.2 BAR regardless of the increments on the particular gauge. So if there are only 5 increments, 1.2 BAR will equate to the first increment after 1 BAR,

charlie
    kbc likes this.

Hi, just upgraded from a Silvia to a shiny new Mara a few days ago. This thread was a great help - thanks.

One question I have is regarding the dosing of the double filter that comes with the Mara. The Lelit manual says 14g for a double shot, some people in the thread above have been using doses of 15-16g. When I fill the double filter it weighs in about 20g. This is just with filling from the grinder and levelling, nothing more. I am getting reasonably good shots but was wondering why the difference?

Last week I visited K Bean Coffee to do some espresso training, and walked out with a brand new Lelit Mara, with a Pesado naked portafilter, an IMS shower screen and other assorted goodies.
    I had been thinking about buying a machine at some point soon, to upgrade from my trusty Breville dual boiler.
    The chance to try out the Lelit and compare shots pulled from Paulís very own Profitec 700 convinced me it had to come home with me on the day.
    Iím really happy with the Lelit. It looks great on the benchtop, takes up much less space than the old Breville, and pulls thick gloopy intensely flavoured espresso shots every time.
    The only part of the operation I am yet to master is steaming the milk. The Lelit has a lot of steam power and itís easy to overheat the milk.
    I am very happy with the service from K Bean too. I just wish I didnít live on the other side of Melbourne.

Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post
    My advice is to get in as much as you can without getting to the point where the puck hits the shower screen. I would expect somewhere near 15g for the Mara double. Dose by weight, not volume to take out the grind weight variable. At a later stage upgrade to a precision basket (IMS or VST).
    Cheers - Paul
    Thanks. Yes I dose by filling the basket and levelling before tamping. I then adjust the grind to get the quality. However, when I do that I get 20g - not 15g. Question is why the difference. Is the double basket a 20g basket and the Lelit manual is wrong or is for European size basket? I'll give Jetblack a call to confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by Gratulin View Post
    Thanks. Yes I dose by filling the basket and levelling before tamping. I then adjust the grind to get the quality. However, when I do that I get 20g - not 15g. Question is why the difference. Is the double basket a 20g basket and the Lelit manual is wrong or is for European size basket? I'll give Jetblack a call to confirm.
    Just spoke to Jetblack and the Mara double basket takes close to 20g depending on beans, grind, tamp etc etc. So I'm in the ballpark dose and weight wise

My advice is to get in as much as you can without getting to the point where the puck hits the shower screen. I would expect somewhere near 15g for the Mara double. Dose by weight, not volume to take out the grind weight variable. At a later stage upgrade to a precision basket (IMS or VST).
    Cheers - Paul
    dosing by weight only works for a specific beam/roast situation, and can lead to over/under dose problems if the bean batch changes.
    your first point of keeping the puck surface close to the shower screen is spot on, but you have to be prepared to adjust the dose weight if necessary to do that
    Dimal likes this.

Hey guys, whats the recommended heat up time for the Mara?

kbc
    Quote Originally Posted by flyandcoffee View Post
    Hey guys, whats the recommended heat up time for the Mara?
    As with all E61s, expect 25-30 mins to achieve thermal stability.
    Cheers - Paul

As with all E61s, expect 25-30 mins to achieve thermal stability.
    Cheers - Paul
    Thanks Paul, I'm a complete novice with anything other than an automatic!
    I'm moving to the Mara in the next week or two, once I get rid of my current machine. Just trying to gather as much info as possible!
    kbc likes this.

kbc
    Quote Originally Posted by flyandcoffee View Post
    I'm moving to the Mara in the next week or two, once I get rid of my current machine. Just trying to gather as much info as possible!
    Great choice. I'm struggling to keep up with demand with the Mara. It really hits a sweet spot. Feel free to call me any time.
    Cheers, Paul - 0416528339
    flyandcoffee likes this.

Awesome picture K Bean.
    Anyone knows if conversion to joystick type steam/water taps are possible with the Mara?

Quote Originally Posted by Enigk View Post
    Awesome picture K Bean.
    Anyone knows if conversion to joystick type steam/water taps are possible with the Mara?
    Contact JetBlack. They're the importers (and do a lot of their service on these machines) so would know what may or may not be doable.
    Dimal likes this.

Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigk View Post
    Awesome picture K Bean.
    Sure it's possible. But you'd be losing the crushless rotary valves which work so well it would be a shame ... If you're thinking joysticks for speed, the knobs on the Mara are almost as quick (as long you leave them at the point where they are just about to start activating the valve. Then it is half a turn to fully open and half a turn back to fully close. Not to be confused with traditional rotary valves where you close them all the way and then a bit more "just to be sure" they don't leak. With crushless (or spring loaded) valves, the valve gets closed by a spring rather than the force applied to the knob. Squashed valve seals are a thing of the past. Joystick valves are also effectively crushless because you can't overtighten them. But these come with a requirement for extra maintenance of the joystick mechanism.

charlie
    Dimal, SniffCoffee, kbc and 4 others like this.

The retrofit kits we have are 230V so won't work on your machine Thunder. But you may be able to source them in the US in the not too distant future,

charlie
    @Jetblack

I haven't been able to find a 115V PID retrofit kit, but I noted that the PID on the 115V version of the PL62T is Gicar 9.3.00.57G09, which I can get from a US supplier. What else besides the PID itself would I find the retrofit kit, and would any of the ancillary parts be voltage specific?

If the answer is no, the only voltage specific part is the Gicar PID, perhaps you'd be willing to put together a kit without the PID!

Thanks in advance!

For anyone out there who is looking for a bottomless portafilter to use with the Mara, I thought I'd share my recent Amazon review of the Edesia Espress LELIT 58mm Bottomless Naked Portafilter.

Overall: 4 out of 5 stars

"This bottomless portafilter delivers what you expect: vastly improved ability to see your espresso as it pours and judge the perfect moment to end your shot. Fit is almost perfect in my Lelit PL62 Mara (it is just a hair 'tighter' fit than the Lelit branded standard portafilter that came with my machine, which is actually a good thing). It is compatible with the blank and 2 shot baskets that came with the machine, and as a bonus, it also comes with a new 3 shot basket!

The reason for 4 stars and not 5 stars is that the build quality is slightly cheaper than a Lelit branded portafilter. I'm not a fan of the smooth plastic grip (versus the Lelit's texturized plastic), but more importantly, the grip is plastic all the way through, as opposed to the Lelit's, which is plastic over metal. It remains to be seen whether the all-plastic grip will come loose or start to warp over time. For the time being, it is tight and warp-free."
    toorakwa likes this.

But not all 'e-61's' are the same. The original no longer has a patent so there are a few variants out there now.

What some might call an e-61 might be an imitation/interpretation and may have a different lug set up i.e. 3 lugs or off set lugs or thicker/thinner lugs.

When naked not all groups are equal.
    LFM60 and degaulle like this.

The Sunbeam Torino? has an e-61 clone group head. (Following on from your comment above, chokkidog)

Not that I'd buy a Sunbeam. Just saw it on eBay the other day.

Not looking too good so far............
    Sunbeam Torino Espresso Machine & Grinder PU8000 Reviews - ProductReview.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by LFM60 View Post
    The Sunbeam Torino? has an e-61 clone group head. (Following on from your comment above, chokkidog)
    I believe that it has a heated group head that LOOKS a little like an e-61 but on all accounts is designed nothing like it and performs nothing like it...

Long time lurker, first time poster...

Took the plunge and purchased a Lelit Mara PL62 and Lelit PL43MMI grinder off the friendly team at Jetblack late last year, with the crazy time of year i've really only just started playing with it properly.

a couple of observations/questions:

1) as has been a constant in this thread, the stock shower screen is a let down. forever dirty so i'll be swapping this out ASAP
    2) brew pressure - the machine came calibrated but i'm getting max 7.5/8 bars - is this due to dosing or grind or both? Reading this thread it sounds like i should be aiming for 9 or 10. how much tamp pressure should i be applying?
    3) steam - pressure sitting at 0.9/1 - this seems fine to me. i'm getting some great micro foam but still plenty of improvement left
    4) water catcher is poorly designed but its not a deal breaker

cheers!
    degaulle and coffe4me2 like this.

We made our first real commitment to a proper in-home coffee experience today - Lelit Mara. Thank you to Paul from K Bean Coffee for your insight and helping us to choose the right machine for us! So excited to learn the finesse of being a coffee boss with the Mara.
    Dimal, kbc and coffe4me2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hermy View Post
    We made our first real commitment to a proper in-home coffee experience today - Lelit Mara. Thank you to Paul from K Bean Coffee for your insight and helping us to choose the right machine for us! So excited to learn the finesse of being a coffee boss with the Mara.
    Well done Hermy, keep us in the loop as to how your going with your new machine.

What type of grinder do you have?
    kbc and coffe4me2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by coffe4me2 View Post
    Awesome choice Henry for a great machine from a great retailer.
    I see you're a newbie. Get onto Tapatalk (like me) and you'll soon get involved with this great forum.
    Morning CFM2, wondering why I/we need Tapatalk to become involved in CoffeeSnobs? I've been using Windows for the past 10 years, seems to do the job without any problem.

I primarily use Chrome on my phone to browse here. I've tried Tapatalk a couple of times but it never lasts more than an hour or so before it annoys me. I think primarily because it chops everything up into tiny bits and it's hard to get much context quickly.
    kbc likes this.

Cheers
    kbc and coffe4me2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by coffe4me2 View Post
    Hi Yelta. Reason is that I like things mobile and quick and also, Tapatalk lets me get other forums linked to the one spot.
    Cheers mate. JT
    Ambivalent here. TaT is slightly easier to use but still a little buggy after years. Surveys don't seem to work either. Some forums are very ad full

Hi, new user here, reviving this old thread

I had my pump die (was cutting off at anything over 6 bars) and replaced it with a ULKA ex5, with the brass outlet. All is running fine now but I forgot to "search" for the opv while I had the machine open. I always wondered if you could adjust the OPV on these? Wanted to lower the brew pressure a bit. On the profitec's there is a screw and you can easily adjust but think it's done from the inside on the Mara, if even possible.

If anyone could circle it out i'd appreciate it :P

BLW
    You might be able to work out where it is from this image on Jetblack's website.

(Edit: 1st line (USA) has an exploded view on their website as well with Italian descriptions).

Site Sponsor
    jK7tRnk.jpg

You should be able to make the adjustment with only the top panel off.

charlie
    Dimal likes this.

You should be able to make the adjustment with only the top panel off.

charlie
    Thank you! So just that big screw to turn? Love the easy access.

Quote Originally Posted by BLW View Post
    You might be able to work out where it is from this image on Jetblack's website.

(Edit: 1st line (USA) has an exploded view on their website as well with Italian descriptions).
    Thanks for the pic. Good one there. :cheers:
    Dimal likes this.

Good evening. This one is a long, but good read.

The only thing Iím struggling with is the knobs on the PL62S. Theyíre just ugly.

I can get away from the knobs by going up to the model with the PID but to me that thing looks just as ugly.

Has anyone here tried tripping the knobs off a Mara and replacing them with something less Ďcheap plasticí looking? Thatís canít be to hard can it?

Grillsy (bear)

You could really go over the top with these from a site sponsor - Leon Wilcox Handmade Wooden Coffee Parts - Lelit PL62S Hardwood Parts
    Dimal and Grillsy like this.

Thanks for the link. That wood is a really great look so I might add that to my kit wish list.
    Grillsy

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5