Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree125Likes

Thread: New Sunbeam Torino triple thermoblock

The Lelit would be a safer bet long term than the 920.

Yes you would need a grinder also, new smart grinder pro have been on sale for $200.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by artman View Post
    The Lelit would be a safer bet long term than the 920.

Yes you would need a grinder also, new smart grinder pro have been on sale for $200.

Cheers
    Thanks! Who makes the smart grinder pro?

Breville. But as someone said before, they can be had as a package....Haggle the price to suit your budget !
    PS, if you really want an upgrade, go for the LiLit, or even a "pre-loved" real Italian HX machine. Look on the for sale section.
    .......even a 10 year old one will outlast any Breville or Sunbeam

My view. Take the lelit.

I got my dual boiler package with grinder for let's say 1100. If your in Perth and want the dual boiler I am sure we can do a trade. That lelit looks great and I can do with some more spending.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty888 View Post
    My view. Take the lelit.

I got my dual boiler package with grinder for let's say 1100. If your in Perth and want the dual boiler I am sure we can do a trade. That lelit looks great and I can do with some more spending.
    Thanks rusty - I think I will pop by their shop and have a look at it on Friday this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    ...at least they didn't call it the Gran Torino.
    No, it's the "Two Gran Torino" apparently.

I have the Breville Dynamic Duo package (BES920 Dual Boiler and BCG820 Smart Grinder). A friend won it as part of a competition and didn't want it, so sold it to me just before Christmas, sealed in the box, for NZ$600. It's my first espresso machine and it's making decent coffee, even though I admit I don't know a lot about the science of making good coffee yet. It will be replaced, as the budget allows and my experience level deserves it, but for now it's my frame of reference.

I saw the Torino being demo'ed in my local Harvey Norman a few weeks ago by a "trained barista". A little small talk revealed this meant the young woman had recently completed a free hospitality course at the local polytech (TAFE to you Aussies) covering coffee making alongside other topics like food safety and customer service. I was drawn in by the Italian styling of the machine, which I really like, but was underwhelmed by the result - thin and under extracted. They were putting the coffee into takeaway cups so you could drink it while wandering around the store but there were many almost-full cups abandoned on the demo table, which I took to mean other people weren't enjoying it either.

The Torino/grinder combo sells here for NZ$2,299 which is $200 more than the Dynamic Duo RRP, and there's usually someone selling the BEP920 cheaper, e.g. it's $1677 at JB HiFi right now. I'd say this package should be selling for about NZ$1,499, and that's allowing for how badly we usually get ripped off over here in Kiwiland.
    dumiya likes this.

does the torino have the same porta filter as the em7000

Very useful tread all! It helped decide between this machine (Torino) and the BDB 920 pack

Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster!

Just got serious about purchasing a machine I am lucky enough to be able to purchase this one for $1400, is this worth it at this price, or slinvest a little more?

Worth it for max $400
    gonzo89 likes this.

Not sure that "lucky" is the word you're looking for. Save yourself $150 to put towards a grinder and buy Sniff's Profitec http://coffeesnobs.com.au/coffee-har...al-boiler.html

Quote Originally Posted by Notthisguy View Post
    Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster!

Just got serious about purchasing a machine I am lucky enough to be able to purchase this one for $1400, is this worth it at this price, or slinvest a little more?
    Not really.

Didn't take long for it to lose 30% of its RRP 'value' then...

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by readeral View Post
    Didn't take long for it to lose 30% of its RRP 'value' then...
    Once it drops a further 30%, prices will be around where they should have been in the first place. Factor in 50% depreciation on that once the machine leaves Hardly Normal car park and there you will have resale value.

Must say I'm still perplexed as to what they were thinking when they tried to market a blatant con.

Can I just be totally open and say I feel disgusted looking at it. Ridiculous con.

I love the blunt honesty!

After having a look at one today and previous words of wisdom I am was extremely disappointed even just looking at this machine! The salesman at HN had no idea about it or anything really... at least I can scrub this, permanenly, off the list.
    Magic_Matt and gonzo89 like this.

$1699.15 at David Jones.

TC
    Good in theory, but they have clearly made an error. Decimal place needs to move 1 place to the left
    kbc likes this.

TC I think you are being a little unfair. Its worth at least $180...
    kbc, TC and gordons like this.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post
    The sad thing is that a few newbies will go for this because it looks like a serious machine....
    Sometimes you has to learn with your wallet...

Please post items for sale in the Coffee Hardware For Sale forum.
    Last edited by Javaphile; 30th June 2016 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Removed items for sale

I belive Talk Coffee may be looking to exchange for a slightly used Slayer? 😂
    Magic_Matt likes this.

TC
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbroaster View Post
    I belive Talk Coffee may be looking to exchange for a slightly used Slayer? 
    I wouldn't exchange one for a slightly used coffee puck. Dun like appliance machines.

Might however be of use to someone looking for a 2nd hand 6910 priced bargain... Fraud machine.

I was looking at one of these in Harvey Norman (NZ)...my initial impression was disappointment that they didn't stick with the Em7x00 platform and add the various smarts to that. Why? Well (naively perhaps) I was thinking that Sunbeam got it right with the EM7000 (and also the EM7100 with the capsule crossover was pretty damn clever)! But moreover, its a great design - why not stick with it - trying to imitate a vastly different (e.g Rocket) design but - essentially - hiding the thermoblock technology inside an E61 lookalike design is...a bit disengenious, but also suggests a lack of belief in their old designs. Sad, as I think the 'old' design (i.e EM7x00) is great! I'd like to see a 3 thermoblock variant...EM7200 anyone?

No real way to effectively implement an independant group heater with the EM7000 design unfortunately.

The group collar is connected directly to the brew thermoblock and is heated due to this physical connection.
    It works well enough as the water exiting the thermoblock goes directly through the shower screens and into the coffee.

Temperature stability of a thermoblock is good at idle and over long periods of water flow but they just can't recover fast enough to keep the brew temp stable. Over a 30 sec extraction, the brew temp at the top of the puck will usually drop by 3-4C.

More intelligent control of the thermoblock plus faster recovery, whether this will be from a more powerful element or more thermal mass or some other method would be good to see.

That is the advantage of the Torino's system, the brew thermoblock gets the brew water almost all the way there and then the group heater has an easier time of controlling temps as the water going into it is almost perfect anyway.

Torino Inside details

Hi I am a new member who knows notmuch at all about coffee machines. I have been looking at a Torino and was impressed by it's looks and the fact that it had a bit of weight to it, perhaps an indication of how well it is made? Has anyone seen inside the machine as yet? If so I am interested in hearing how it comes up.

Also, I have read quite a few posts that were concerned about the coffee produced. Apparently the coffee should come out something like honey. This ws certainly not the case in the video put out by Sunbeam. For this reason I wanted to see the Torino in action. I rang Seunbeam and was told that one of their reps would be at a Harvey Norman shop on a certain day at a certain time. I went to the trouble of going there but the rep did not turn up. A bit disappointed about that. Not very good service.

I know that some posters knock the thermal block machines but what appeals to me is I believe they turn out a quick cup of coffee instead of waitng for the boiler to heat up. Am I correct about this?

I am still interested but I will not be buying until I see the machine in action.

Thanks for any advice coming forth.

China

Quote Originally Posted by China View Post
    Hi I am a new member who knows notmuch at all about coffee machines. I have been looking at a Torino and was impressed by it's looks and the fact that it had a bit of weight to it, perhaps an indication of how well it is made? Has anyone seen inside the machine as yet? If so I am interested in hearing how it comes up.

Also, I have read quite a few posts that were concerned about the coffee produced. Apparently the coffee should come out something like honey. This ws certainly not the case in the video put out by Sunbeam. For this reason I wanted to see the Torino in action. I rang Seunbeam and was told that one of their reps would be at a Harvey Norman shop on a certain day at a certain time. I went to the trouble of going there but the rep did not turn up. A bit disappointed about that. Not very good service.

I know that some posters knock the thermal block machines but what appeals to me is I believe they turn out a quick cup of coffee instead of waitng for the boiler to heat up. Am I correct about this?

I am still interested but I will not be buying until I see the machine in action.

Thanks for any advice coming forth.

China
    Most people here will recommend a traditional Italian machine over this, or something similar. But if you're keen on the quick heat up and ease of use of an appliance machine by all accounts the Breville BES920 is streets ahead of the Torino so that's where I'd be spending my money. I've been inside a few machines now and the Chinese made appliance machines certainly look a bit cheaper and nastier than the European machines. I haven't seen inside the Torino myself, but 'noidle22' posted a fairly complete review of it on here so check that out.

TC
    I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole unless it's on offer at a 50% or better discount on RRP.

When they set RRP, they were clearly taking the pi$$. Better to buy a Breville dual boiler in the knowledge that both are appliances and will end their brief lives in landfill.

It's all about compromise. If super quick heat up is worth more than taste and longevity of the appliance then maybe it's right for you

I posted photos on the first or second page i think.

Yes a thermoblock machine will reach operating temperature faster than a boiler machine.
    Comparing the Torino to a BES920 though, it would only be a matter of minutes between them.
    They both have group head heaters which stabilise brew temperature.
    The Breville can be set to turn on at a certain time as well which is handy for mornings. The Torino for some reason lacks this feature.

Thank you for your advice.

China

Well I am thinking further. Along a different line.

It seems to me that a lot of concern about machines is not only the ability to make the coffee but also to heat milk and to to carry the whole process quicly. The ability to do so depending on the design of the machine having dual boilers, dual thermoblocks or a heat ex-changer.

Now, what would be wrong with going for a single boiler, a well designed well made one and, instead of purchasing an expensive machine, buying a good quality milk steamer/ frother? Would this give a better outcome and a less expensive one?

All advice received will be appreciated.

China.

Well I am thinking further. Along a different line.

It seems to me that a lot of concern about machines is not only the ability to make the coffee but also to heat milk and to to carry the whole process quicly. The ability to do so depending on the design of the machine having dual boilers, dual thermoblocks or a heat ex-changer.

Now, what would be wrong with going for a single boiler, a well designed well made one and, instead of purchasing an expensive machine, buying a good quality milk steamer/ frother? Would this give a better outcome and a less expensive one?

All advice received will be appreciated.

China.
    It is definitely an option worth considering. If you wanted to keep to a strict budget something like a Gaggia Classic with an upgraded steam arm is a good choice for people buying their first proper espresso machine. If you can spend a bit more then something like an Isomac Zaffiro or the Lelit single boiler is what you'd look at. And you don't need a separate steamer as you can still steam with all these machines. Some of them are actually more powerful steamers than a small HX or DB however you can't steam milk at the same time as extracting coffee and there is a small wait while the boiler heats up to steam pressure. I used to have a Gaggia Classic and due to the small boiler it used to be ready to steam in all of about 10 seconds so the wait was negligible. The only real downside is that the whole process is a little slower when making milk drinks so if you entertain guests regularly it's probably better to go with the HX or DB option.

I am still looking around and will make a decision shortly.
    kbc likes this.

Well I finally got to see the Torino in action. And my decision is to "go elsewhere". Very disappointing.
    Magic_Matt and readeral like this.

Just found a funny ad on 'scumtree'. One of these facade machines with a grinder for $450.
    An unused wedding gift apparantly. Can't even hold it's value unused it seems haha
    Magic_Matt and readeral like this.

TC
    One of the usual resident scumtree lowballers will probably pick it up for $199 (aka market value )
    gonzo89 likes this.

Hi I bought a torino + grinder last xmas 2015 ($20k @ HN) and think its great,Im not quite a coffee snob but close enough, with adjustable settings and a flow meter I find it works well for me. I drink short blacks and can when required add the fluffy milk etc.
    I was unable to purchase the cleaning tablets and it has come up with CLEAN so I used some powder and run the coffee clean and the steam clean however I can't clear the CLEAN stage, anyone else had this problem. Machine still works just comes up with CLEAN instead of READY. I have repeated the cleaning processes several times downloaded instructions as the manual wasn't that clear tried shutting off at the wall socket to no avail.
    All suggestions welcome
    Cheers G

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    One of the usual resident scumtree lowballers will probably pick it up for $199 (aka market value )
    That sounds just about right

Looking elsewhere.

Well I am still looking - reading up actually.
    i gather that for my purposes I need one of the upper class jobs. A single boiler HX OR a dual boiler. They are expensive. So I have a query.

There are lots of second hand machines around - the type used in cafes etc. some of them have two heads. I gather that these would offer the performance of high end domestic machines - maybe even better. Why wouldn't one buy one of these, say a dual head - for less than $1500 instead of paying twice as much, or more, for the domestic type?

Any my advice would be appreciated.

thanks China.

Not everybody has a spare metre of bench space for a 2 group commercial for starters. The warm up time can be a lot longer, if it's 1500 bucks it's possibly pretty old and clapped out. Commercial machines are made for knocking out back to back shots all day long and may run hot in a domestic situation. Also not everyone is able to plumb in which is usually a necessity with a commercial. This is also probably the wrong thread for it

TC
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    You'd be better to buy a good preloved prosumer machine than a clapped out commercial which does not suit your requirements.

Keep an eye on Coffee Hardware For Sale for some good options.

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Coffee View Post
    You'd be better to buy a good preloved prosumer machine than a clapped out commercial which does not suit your requirements.

Keep an eye on Coffee Hardware For Sale for some good options.

You tube

Quote Originally Posted by Gazzie View Post
    Hi I bought a torino + grinder last xmas 2015 ($20k @ HN) and think its great,Im not quite a coffee snob but close enough, with adjustable settings and a flow meter I find it works well for me. I drink short blacks and can when required add the fluffy milk etc.
    I was unable to purchase the cleaning tablets and it has come up with CLEAN so I used some powder and run the coffee clean and the steam clean however I can't clear the CLEAN stage, anyone else had this problem. Machine still works just comes up with CLEAN instead of READY. I have repeated the cleaning processes several times downloaded instructions as the manual wasn't that clear tried shutting off at the wall socket to no avail.
    All suggestions welcome
    Cheers G
    Look on you tube there is a video on how to clean it follow exactly as it shows I had same problem the manual is crap not enough info it's the steam clean you have to do then it clears the display back to normal

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4