Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree348Likes

Thread: Profitec Pro 500

G'day Paul, I've been lurking around the site for a month and have read your posts about the Prof. 500 and watched the youtube clips - I think it's the one for me! Do you have any super deals on at the moment for a Prof. 500, Quamar Q50p & Silver accessories kit? I am in Canberra living on Pod coffee and you would be doing me a big favor by converting me over to the real coffee world.
    kbc and coffe4me2 like this.

Profitec Pro 500

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen13 View Post
    Actually how long does the 500 take to heat up ready to go, my partner she leaves for work at 4.30am usually so i get up and make her some coffee before she goes for the day.
    I bought a WeMo when I got my pro 500. I'm up at the same time every morning so have it on a schedule weekdays 15mins before I need it. Then turn it on with the app before I head home after work. Can disable the schedule when I'm on arvo shift.

I find 15 mins is enough for decent brew group temp. I backflush at least weekly, chemical backflush monthly. Have noticed recently the brew lever gets grippy after chemical backflush so have added lubricating the cam to the monthly regime which is very quick and easy to do. I also use nothing but bottled water as I don't trust perth tap water.

Besides the build quality and consistent performance other features I've appreciated are the large capacity drip tray, rotary valves for steam and water, no requirement for cooling flush. I can see myself keeping it beyond 10 years easy.
    Brewster, Magic_Matt, kbc and 1 others like this.

Hey Heston,

Yeah thats really handy to know. I also lived in Perth so i know what ur saying.
    Im going to resurect the old bombora filter so get some softer stuff going then hopefully shouldnt have as many dramas.
    Its good to note youll get that long from the machine. Honestly for the putlay of the machine if coffee is a priority its not really that high. Espcially if your one of these types that buys a $4 take away one every day. Ive saved many many tens of thousands by just diy
    kbc, Heston and coffe4me2 like this.

No Australian spec Hx should require a cooling flush.

Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post
    Aus Spec HX generally means lower boiler pressure and lower temperature..
    I'm sorry Paul, but I need to correct you there. What it generally means is balancing boiler pressure and temperature as a byproduct against the heating effect to the group via the thermosyphon loop with restrictors, gicleurs and a Scace device to deliver the water temperature required at the group. This takes time and effort and if the HX design is shite, it's not gonna happen regardless of what you do. This information goes to the manufacturer for Australian production. I'd think you'll find that Charlie will confirm this on Profitec as well.

To suggest that it's simply a matter of lowering boiler pressure is just wrong and if that's what's delivering Aus spec in some brands, it's good enough reason to bin them from range.

Let's keep it real and correct.
    Dimal and magnafunk like this.

I guess the obvious question here is why don't the manufacturers make machines like this for everywhere?

The laws of physics are not different in Australia, and the boiling point of water is the same

Machines are nearly always used indoors at room temperature.

So what's different about Australia?
    coffe4me2 and zeezaw like this.

Machines that are well configured are done in a way that their brew temp meets the requirements of end users. Most home users in Aus will subject their machines to a few shots here and there spaced apart by a few minutes break a few times a day and prefer a brew temp of about 93c and so thats what the good manufacturers/importers deliver.

If you however get one of these machines and put it in a geographic location where people use the machines in a similar way but prefer a hotter brew temp the customers would be less happy with our spec. Similarly if you put one of these single group prosumer style machines in a smaller business such as a small cafe or hairdressing salon as is more common in various places in europe and put it under higher load with periods of back to back shots, the machines would run cold and again, the customers wouldn't be happy.

Laws of physics are constant but customer requirements vary.
    Dimal, Magic_Matt, kbc and 4 others like this.

That's a pretty decent explanation. Australia is a pretty discerning coffee market.
    Magic_Matt, kbc, coffe4me2 and 1 others like this.

Heya guys, just bought the Profitec Pro 500 from Paul, have to say it's an incredible machine... Such a great design and attention to detail! I haven't been able to use it as often as I'd like as I'm limiting coffee due to being unwell, but it's had beautiful extractions, and it's steaming is crazy powerful...
    Still getting used to going from a single-hole Gaggia to 4-hole steam tip, but I got much better milk texturing by just not adding as much air initially.

Highly highly recommend this machine!

Anyways here my little corner setup:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brewster, Magic_Matt and kbc like this.

Yeah it is at the moment, I'm still experimenting with different dosing/distribution techniques to get the best result.. but I actually quite like the stepped adjustments to be honest!

Because I usually have two or three different beans on the go, it's good having a concrete place to get back to when alternating beans. I honestly don't know how this is done with stepless grinders... but I'd still love to upgrade at some stage. Will figure that out when I get to it (as I'm sure alot CSers have multiple beans at the one time alternating through their grinder...)
    Magic_Matt, kbc and coffe4me2 like this.

NICE setup! 👍

Quote Originally Posted by simonsk8r View Post
    Will figure that out when I get to it (as I'm sure alot CSers have multiple beans at the one time alternating through their grinder...)
    Yeah, not that big a deal with a worm gear provided the two grinds are fairly close - just remember the number of turns 😉

Or then again, you could just run two grinders.... 🤔
    kbc likes this.

Haha thanks all. Ah a whole bench dedicated to grinders... how awesome would that be... XD
    Magic_Matt and coffe4me2 like this.

Quick question about the Profitec (and HX machines in general). Should the boiler be emptied out often? Like after daily or every week? Just thinking would be a good idea surely to clear that out (ie turn machine off, run hot water tap until empty).. just don't recall seeing it in the manual.. And as I don't have any water filtration it probably would be a good idea to often yeah? Thanks guys

Great, thanks Paul!

Quick question about the Profitec (and HX machines in general). Should the boiler be emptied out often? Like after daily or every week?
    Use the boiler water as much as you can.

Try to use the boiler water as part of your prep, such as for warming cups and the like.

And of course if you have a long black drinker or tea drinker in the household, use it for that too.

Keeps the boiler water fresh and avoids scale.
    Brewster, Dimal and greenman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by herzog View Post

Try to use the boiler water as part of your prep, such as for warming cups and the like.

And of course if you have a long black drinker or tea drinker in the household, use it for that too.

Ah great idea, will do, thanks
    kbc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by herzog View Post

I turn over a full water tank on my 700 between the two boilers each day with brewing, flushing, long blacks and filling my goose neck kettle for pourovers!
    Brewster and kbc like this.

Yep, no need to drain completely except for transport or service - just turn the water over by using the hot water wand for cup preheating, flushing the drip tray etc. I found having the machine plumbed in helpful; nothing worse than filling your cup to preheat with puck all ready to go... and then having to stop and fill the tank! At least on the 500 you can just lift off the tray without moving cups etc.

@greenman have you done any competitive testing between boiler water and filtered or tap for pourover? They always say you shouldn't use re-boiled water for tea as it gets de-oxygenated which affects flavour; I guess if you're turning the water over often enough maybe that won't matter? 🤔
    kbc and Umpqua like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Matt View Post
    Yep, no need to drain completely except for transport or service - just turn the water over by using the hot water wand for cup preheating, flushing the drip tray etc. I found having the machine plumbed in helpful; nothing worse than filling your cup to preheat with puck all ready to go... and then having to stop and fill the tank! At least on the 500 you can just lift off the tray without moving cups etc.

@greenman have you done any competitive testing between boiler water and filtered or tap for pourover? They always say you shouldn't use re-boiled water for tea as it gets de-oxygenated which affects flavour; I guess if you're turning the water over often enough maybe that won't matter? 🤔
    Matt I use the boiler water for quick pourovers in the morning rush when my wife and son both want a quick coffee, I boil the Bonavita when I am doing my V60's etc.

Hi Simon.
    All good advice regarding regular turnover of boiler water.
    Is there any reason why you're not using filtered water? Plenty of discussion on this site as to why filtered water together with regular turnover will go a long way to reducing scale build up.
    Doesn't need to be an expensive setup, I'm just using the Aqua Pro Benchtop Filtration system which is readly available from site sponsors.

Cheers
    Mal
    Dimal and Magic_Matt like this.

Yeah it probably is a good idea to use filtered water.. just funds-wise I was holding off (and I tried reading alot of the posts on water filtration and just got mighty confused haha..), but it isn't too pricey I guess, I'll get that soon. If it definitely does help in prolonging the life of the machine it makes sense considering what I spent for the machine. Thanks guys, appreciate all your help
    Brewster, Magic_Matt and degaulle like this.

Hi,
    Just like to say that this machine is a ripper.
    Picked up from Paul at b on Saturday and coffee quality has gone through the roof. Itis so easy to get good results.
    The stealth looks brilliant as well, sorry for stealing your machine Paul.
    Brewster, Crema_Lad, Dimal and 6 others like this.

awesome outcome....enjoy the shots of pure bliss
    Magic_Matt likes this.

Wow. This machine seems really interesting. I was about to pull the trigger on a Rocket but may have to consider this one and see it for myself.
    Brewster and kbc like this.

Thanks very much Paul.
    I already took an appointment to 'test drive' one tomorrow morning. I'm really excited!

I hope to be able to see what this beast is capable of. Thanks heaps for offering Paul, I may have to visit you real soon as well!

Cheers,
    David
    kbc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post
    No worries at all Rick.
    I'm really glad you're enjoying my stealthy Profitec
    Please post a pic if you can.
    Cheers, Paul
    Here is my newly installed Pro500.
    Looks great even if you don't use it for coffee. I do and it's brilliant.
    Handle is out in case I walk past and knock it out.
    Thanks again Paul.

Correct me if I'm wrong Paul (K Bean) but I believe it's been said the profitec 500 even though uses a vibe pump (ulka ex5) is super quite. Is this reference of quite during pulling a shot or when boiler is filling too?
    i as as the ulka ex5 is a common pump and my machine with is is a bit noisey when filling the boiler so trying to figure out if can compare or not. If the 500 is quite when filling the boiler might have to see what the difference is such as pump mounts and how the profitec500 isolates the noise, if it noisey filling the boiler back to the drawing board.
    kbc likes this.

Thanks Paul if you find a picture of the pump and how it's mount it would be great to compare to my NS Oscar 2.
    How loud is the pro 500 when filling the boiler compared to pulling a shot?
    Wouldn't say the oscar 2 is loud when pulling a shot but when first turn on or after a few coffees when the boiler is filling the pump if loud so be great to see if can reduce some noise. Guessing it not the pump it self as both machines use same pump I believe.

thanks Martin
    Last edited by Mb21; 8th July 2017 at 09:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Get eeeeeeeeem!!!!!
    kbc likes this.

Picked mine up from Paul (K Bean)on the weekend! Love it! Still fine tuning the grid, and learning how to tamp properly, but so far so good!
    Unfortunately, I'm in Sydney for a week, so I can't play with my new toy till I get home!

And yes, it's actually fairly quiet. I'm coming from a low end breville single boiler - and I think that was louder!

Enjoy! It's an awesome machine, have fun! (Wait til you get the steam arm going, whooooweeeee!)
    Crema_Lad likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
    Picked mine up from Paul (K Bean)on the weekend! Love it! Still fine tuning the grid, and learning how to tamp properly, but so far so good!
    Unfortunately, I'm in Sydney for a week, so I can't play with my new toy till I get home!

And yes, it's actually fairly quiet. I'm coming from a low end breville single boiler - and I think that was louder!
    Welcome to Coffee Snobs Lordvader.
    Your photo and photo style, along with the sentiments expressed seem strangely familiar.
    Dimal and Casa Espresso like this.

Spell it out. Why be vague and full of innuendo?
    Crema_Lad likes this.

Lord Vader, are you related to Darth?

Ps nice purchase

Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    Lord Vader, are you related to Darth?

Ps nice purchase
    Related to Jeff Vader? Hopefully there are other Eddie Izzard Death Star Canteen fans here...
    noonar likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kwantfm View Post
    Related to Jeff Vader? Hopefully there are other Eddie Izzard Death Star Canteen fans here...
    Can you get his autograph?
    Magic_Matt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    Your photo and photo style, along with the sentiments expressed seem strangely familiar.
    Balthazar? Is that you??
    Yelta likes this.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    What, like any other CS having purchased a new shiny toy?? Ha I remember posting similar a few years back compete with my first cup of coffee made with my new 'toy' VBM Domobar

@ Lordvader - Congrats with the new machine. Look forward to hearing how much better your coffee is after the BSB!

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    This is probably where the familiarity of Lord Vader comes from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms6TDSgiCtE
    Crema_Lad, SniffCoffee and 338 like this.

Will do, when I get home
    The few I did make were fantastic though, and having that nice strong steamer have shaved so much time off my morning routine!
    Crema_Lad likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dlight View Post
    Spell it out. Why be vague and full of innuendo?
    To be fair to Yelta he is entitled to be a little bit gun shy

Quote Originally Posted by Casa Espresso View Post
    That did make me laugh... Our Yelta is not exactly known for being gun shy!

Quote Originally Posted by Casa Espresso View Post
    Morning Antony, tried to reply to your PM's the other day, seems your in box is full and needs clearing.

Re gun shy! I've been kicking around the traps for quite a few years now and learned to roll with the punches long ago, as Bobby McFerrin said, Don't Worry be Happy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU
    Crema_Lad, Magic_Matt and chippy like this.

Hey guys, just a few questions for the owners of this fine machine and what their routine is!

1) Is preinfusion able to be done on this machine (and is it something I should be doing?)? Shots are coming out great without it, and honestly I haven't read too much on preinfusion and have a very basic understanding, just not sure if it's doable/recommended with the Profitec Pro 500.

2) Pre use/warmup routines: do you guys just turn it on and leave it alone to let it heat up, or do you purge water at all etc etc to help it heat up? After 10 minutes the boiler pressure is up to standard, and at that point i usually give the steam wand a purge, let some water out of the hot water tap (just so the boiler is refilled again a little), and purge some water through the grouphead, all just to kick things along (then wait til a total of 40 minutes of it being on til I brew) but wondering if this is necessary or if anyone does that... Just sometimes seems that after 40 minutes the outside of the group isn't searing hot like I thought it would be, and getting water through the group I THINK tends to help heat it up.....?

3) Does releasing hot water out of the hot water tap prior to brewing affect brewing pressure/temp or the process in any way? I only ask because if I'm making long black and use the hot water from the machine, the left gauge (boiler pressure) tends to drop a bit and not sure if it affects the brewing and if best to wait until it cranks back up...

Thanks so much for any input guys (and non-Profitec owners feel free to weigh in )
    Crema_Lad and Magic_Matt like this.

Hey guys, just a few questions for the owners of this fine machine and what their routine is!

1) Is preinfusion able to be done on this machine (and is it something I should be doing?)? Shots are coming out great without it, and honestly I haven't read too much on preinfusion and have a very basic understanding, just not sure if it's doable/recommended with the Profitec Pro 500.

2) Pre use/warmup routines: do you guys just turn it on and leave it alone to let it heat up, or do you purge water at all etc etc to help it heat up? After 10 minutes the boiler pressure is up to standard, and at that point i usually give the steam wand a purge, let some water out of the hot water tap (just so the boiler is refilled again a little), and purge some water through the grouphead, all just to kick things along (then wait til a total of 40 minutes of it being on til I brew) but wondering if this is necessary or if anyone does that... Just sometimes seems that after 40 minutes the outside of the group isn't searing hot like I thought it would be, and getting water through the group I THINK tends to help heat it up.....?

3) Does releasing hot water out of the hot water tap prior to brewing affect brewing pressure/temp or the process in any way? I only ask because if I'm making long black and use the hot water from the machine, the left gauge (boiler pressure) tends to drop a bit and not sure if it affects the brewing and if best to wait until it cranks back up...

Thanks so much for any input guys (and non-Profitec owners feel free to weigh in )
    Hey Simon, I don't own the Pro 500 but insofar as E61 machines are similar I'll answer from my experience...

1/ if plumbed in, yes - provided the switch behind the lever is at the correct depth so the pump is not engaged with the lever in the middle, neutral position. If not plumbed in, you'll get boiler rather than line pressure which isn't really preinfusion as such. Note that the E61 group has a "ramped" pressure profile by design, so preinfusion isn't really necessary - but I've experimented with it and found I'm slightly more likely to get an uneven, 'gushing' start to an extraction without, which could indicate a fractured puck. So I'd say preinfusion makes the machine slightly more tolerant of dosing and distribution errors.

My second crack would be if already plumbed in, experiment; otherwise, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

2/ purging water shouldn't be necessary for a well-tuned HX; it might help heating the group head marginally. I have my Synchronika on a timer to switch on about 45 minutes before my first coffee; with only one boiler running at a higher temp your HX should heat up faster if anything. If you want to warm it up faster, your best bet would be a towel or other insulator over the grouphead.

I always run a brief flush to clean the portafilter basket and wash off any residual grinds from the last shot. With your HX this may also help to ensure it's not idling hot - just make sure that the water isn't spluttering. If it is, a thermosyphon mod might be necessary... That's about the extent of my HX knowledge.

3/ Theoretically, if the boiler water level drops below the sensor refill point, the cold water drawn will drop the boiler temperature and therefore the brew water temp through the HX - how fast and to what extent I'll leave to the experts. If you only draw a little water and the pump doesn't kick in to refill the boiler it shouldn't have any impact I'd assume. It will of course immediately impact steam performance if the pressure and temp drop.
    matth3wh, degaulle and Listen4Life like this.

Ah awesome, thanks so much for that info, really appreciate your time! Mine isn't plumbed in, but yeah I guess I won't bother with any preinfusion.

Yeah I find no need for a cooling flush, but if sitting idle for awhile I'll do a quick 5 second flush or so (and of course flush for cleaning purposes).

Ah ok right, if I'm filling up the cup with hot water for a long black, every time it seems to refill the boiler, so I might just use the hot water a bit earlier so that the boiler pressure is back up to 1.2 bar or so before I pull the shot into the cup.

Thanks again! Any more comments welcome too
    Magic_Matt likes this.

Hi Simon.
    When I make a long black, I draw the required amount of hot water first, then I grind and tamp. By then the machine is quickly back up to pressure and the water in the cup has cooled a little so it's not too hot when you pull the shot.
    Cheers
    Mal
    Magic_Matt and Listen4Life like this.

Ah yeah that makes sense, thanks Mal! Do you find you need to flush the group at all after using the hot water tap, or it's pretty good to go after the pressure etc has built back up?

Good to go as soon as it's back up to pressure

Ah cool, thanks for that

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast