Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree284Likes

Thread: Profitec Pro 500

Quote Originally Posted by lloydr View Post
    G'day Paul, I've been lurking around the site for a month and have read your posts about the Prof. 500 and watched the youtube clips - I think it's the one for me! Do you have any super deals on at the moment for a Prof. 500, Quamar Q50p & Silver accessories kit? I am in Canberra living on Pod coffee and you would be doing me a big favor by converting me over to the real coffee world.
    Thanks for reaching out Lloyd. I'll send you a PM. Pod converts are my biggest joy!
    Cheers, Paul
    K Bean - Profitec
    coffe4me2 likes this.

No Australian spec Hx should require a cooling flush.

Quote Originally Posted by trentski View Post
    No Australian spec Hx should require a cooling flush.
    .....I wish that were true but that's a common misconception. I won't name names but believe me on this one Trent. Aus Spec HX generally means lower boiler pressure and lower temperature - it doesn't mean no cooling flush required. I'm not going to name names publicly but If you want me to explain more please send me a PM or call me mate.
    Just recently (last week) a customer chose another "Aus Spec" machine. I warned him that a cooling flush would be needed and he reported back that I was spot in. He's got Ng to live with that but he shouldn't have to. Cooling flushes are a pain.
    Cheers, Paul
    K Bean - Dream Machines
    barri, Heston and coffe4me2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post
    Aus Spec HX generally means lower boiler pressure and lower temperature..
    I'm sorry Paul, but I need to correct you there. What it generally means is balancing boiler pressure and temperature as a byproduct against the heating effect to the group via the thermosyphon loop with restrictors, gicleurs and a Scace device to deliver the water temperature required at the group. This takes time and effort and if the HX design is shite, it's not gonna happen regardless of what you do. This information goes to the manufacturer for Australian production. I'd think you'll find that Charlie will confirm this on Profitec as well.

To suggest that it's simply a matter of lowering boiler pressure is just wrong and if that's what's delivering Aus spec in some brands, it's good enough reason to bin them from range.

Let's keep it real and correct.
    Dimal and magnafunk like this.

Profitec Pro 500

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchcoffeeman View Post
    I'm sorry Paul, but I need to correct you there...
    There's no correction at all there Mate. You just elaborated so thanks, and yes, I agree with you 100% in what "Aus Spec" should mean.
    However, I have found a few importers that call their machines "Aus Spec" because they have lower boiler pressures and that's all - they still need cooling flushes. I'm not going to name and shame but yes, I have dropped a number of machines (and brands) because of this.
    Generally importers do a great job. We are very lucky here in Aus.
    Cheers, Paul
    K Bean - Dream Machines
    Last edited by K_Bean_Coffee; 14th May 2017 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Heston and coffe4me2 like this.

I guess the obvious question here is why don't the manufacturers make machines like this for everywhere?

The laws of physics are not different in Australia, and the boiling point of water is the same

Machines are nearly always used indoors at room temperature.

So what's different about Australia?
    coffe4me2 and zeezaw like this.

Machines that are well configured are done in a way that their brew temp meets the requirements of end users. Most home users in Aus will subject their machines to a few shots here and there spaced apart by a few minutes break a few times a day and prefer a brew temp of about 93c and so thats what the good manufacturers/importers deliver.

If you however get one of these machines and put it in a geographic location where people use the machines in a similar way but prefer a hotter brew temp the customers would be less happy with our spec. Similarly if you put one of these single group prosumer style machines in a smaller business such as a small cafe or hairdressing salon as is more common in various places in europe and put it under higher load with periods of back to back shots, the machines would run cold and again, the customers wouldn't be happy.

Laws of physics are constant but customer requirements vary.

That's a pretty decent explanation. Australia is a pretty discerning coffee market.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbroaster View Post
    Most home users in Aus will subject their machines to a few shots here and there spaced apart by a few minutes break a few times a day and prefer a brew temp of about 93c and so thats what the good manufacturers/importers deliver.
    That's a really good explanation.
    Paul @KBean explained this to me and suggested saving $1000 and getting the Pro500 (good advice) but I went for the Pro700 to be able to control water temperature. But of course reality is that I only set it at 93 or 94 degrees so the Pro500 would have been fine.
    Still, the Pro700 is a beautiful beast so I have no regrets at all

Once you go black you will never go back.
    By popular demand, were doing a second run of Profitec Pro 500 Stealth right now.
    coffe4me2 likes this.

Here's a very nice pic from a happy customer - Profitec Pro 500 and Quamar Q50P
    coffe4me2 likes this.

Heya guys, just bought the Profitec Pro 500 from Paul, have to say it's an incredible machine... Such a great design and attention to detail! I haven't been able to use it as often as I'd like as I'm limiting coffee due to being unwell, but it's had beautiful extractions, and it's steaming is crazy powerful...
    Still getting used to going from a single-hole Gaggia to 4-hole steam tip, but I got much better milk texturing by just not adding as much air initially.

Highly highly recommend this machine!

Anyways here my little corner setup:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by simonsk8r View Post
    .....Highly highly recommend this machine!
    Anyways here my little corner setup:
    Wow - Looks great Simon,
    That's a seriously packed coffee corner.
    Is that Rocky doing a decent job for you?
    Cheers, Paul
    coffe4me2 likes this.

Yeah it is at the moment, I'm still experimenting with different dosing/distribution techniques to get the best result.. but I actually quite like the stepped adjustments to be honest!

Because I usually have two or three different beans on the go, it's good having a concrete place to get back to when alternating beans. I honestly don't know how this is done with stepless grinders... but I'd still love to upgrade at some stage. Will figure that out when I get to it (as I'm sure alot CSers have multiple beans at the one time alternating through their grinder...)

Heya guys, just bought the Profitec Pro 500 from Paul,
    Congrats skater simon and welcome to club Profi.
    K_Bean_Coffee likes this.

NICE setup! 👍

Will figure that out when I get to it (as I'm sure alot CSers have multiple beans at the one time alternating through their grinder...)
    Yeah, not that big a deal with a worm gear provided the two grinds are fairly close - just remember the number of turns 😉

Or then again, you could just run two grinders.... 🤔

.....I have 3. But I have to for work purposes, or so I tell my wife

Haha thanks all. Ah a whole bench dedicated to grinders... how awesome would that be... XD
    Magic_Matt and coffe4me2 like this.

Quick question about the Profitec (and HX machines in general). Should the boiler be emptied out often? Like after daily or every week? Just thinking would be a good idea surely to clear that out (ie turn machine off, run hot water tap until empty).. just don't recall seeing it in the manual.. And as I don't have any water filtration it probably would be a good idea to often yeah? Thanks guys
    K_Bean_Coffee and coffe4me2 like this.

Hi Simon,
    That's a great point/thought.
    It's good practice to freshen up the boiler water from time to time. How often? How long is a piece of string?
    I recommend a partial drain and top up 3 monthly.
    You can read more in my maintenance guide here
    Cheers, Paul
    coffe4me2 likes this.

Great, thanks Paul!
    K_Bean_Coffee and coffe4me2 like this.

Great, thanks Paul!
    No worries at all Simon. Follow the guide and you'll get things pretty close to just right.

Quick question about the Profitec (and HX machines in general). Should the boiler be emptied out often? Like after daily or every week?
    Use the boiler water as much as you can.

Try to use the boiler water as part of your prep, such as for warming cups and the like.

And of course if you have a long black drinker or tea drinker in the household, use it for that too.

Keeps the boiler water fresh and avoids scale.
    Brewster, Dimal and greenman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by herzog View Post

Try to use the boiler water as part of your prep, such as for warming cups and the like.

And of course if you have a long black drinker or tea drinker in the household, use it for that too.

Ah great idea, will do, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by herzog View Post

I turn over a full water tank on my 700 between the two boilers each day with brewing, flushing, long blacks and filling my goose neck kettle for pourovers!
    Brewster and K_Bean_Coffee like this.

Yep, no need to drain completely except for transport or service - just turn the water over by using the hot water wand for cup preheating, flushing the drip tray etc. I found having the machine plumbed in helpful; nothing worse than filling your cup to preheat with puck all ready to go... and then having to stop and fill the tank! At least on the 500 you can just lift off the tray without moving cups etc.

@greenman have you done any competitive testing between boiler water and filtered or tap for pourover? They always say you shouldn't use re-boiled water for tea as it gets de-oxygenated which affects flavour; I guess if you're turning the water over often enough maybe that won't matter? 🤔
    K_Bean_Coffee and Umpqua like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Matt View Post
    Yep, no need to drain completely except for transport or service - just turn the water over by using the hot water wand for cup preheating, flushing the drip tray etc. I found having the machine plumbed in helpful; nothing worse than filling your cup to preheat with puck all ready to go... and then having to stop and fill the tank! At least on the 500 you can just lift off the tray without moving cups etc.

@greenman have you done any competitive testing between boiler water and filtered or tap for pourover? They always say you shouldn't use re-boiled water for tea as it gets de-oxygenated which affects flavour; I guess if you're turning the water over often enough maybe that won't matter? 🤔
    Matt I use the boiler water for quick pourovers in the morning rush when my wife and son both want a quick coffee, I boil the Bonavita when I am doing my V60's etc.

Hi Simon.
    All good advice regarding regular turnover of boiler water.
    Is there any reason why you're not using filtered water? Plenty of discussion on this site as to why filtered water together with regular turnover will go a long way to reducing scale build up.
    Doesn't need to be an expensive setup, I'm just using the Aqua Pro Benchtop Filtration system which is readly available from site sponsors.

Cheers
    Mal
    Dimal and Magic_Matt like this.

Yeah it probably is a good idea to use filtered water.. just funds-wise I was holding off (and I tried reading alot of the posts on water filtration and just got mighty confused haha..), but it isn't too pricey I guess, I'll get that soon. If it definitely does help in prolonging the life of the machine it makes sense considering what I spent for the machine. Thanks guys, appreciate all your help
    Brewster and Magic_Matt like this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4