Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree348Likes

Thread: Profitec Pro 500

I finally bit the bullet and picked up a Pro 500.

I was going from a pretty basic Sunbeam and first looked at the Rancilio Silvia but was quickly tempted to spend even more and get a Rocket I saw at the same store so with the payout getting serious it was time to do some serious research. I spent many hours on this forum and websites and watched a heap of YouTube reviews.
    I got down to a short list of the and finally decided on the Pro 500. I’m no expert but reviews I read and watched where full of praise and when I finally got to see the machine I could see why and it was an easy decision in the end.

Anyway, my budget is blown but I’m glad it is. The next step is to upgrade from my Sunbeam grinders so it’s time to do some grinder research now and send a letter to Santa. I’m dreaming of a Profitec grinder but Santa is unlikely to approve that one. Thanks for the forum posters for sharing their experiences and helping me to find my way into serious home coffee.

Andrea !
    Brewster, Dimal, greenman and 2 others like this.

Quick afterthought. It was the Aus modifications that made this one win for me. The Pro 500 has Pro 550 on the box which is the Australian model. I was impressed with the way the Aussies go back to Italy and tell them how to improve their gear.
    Dimal likes this.

Site Sponsor
    Congratulations Andrea on the Pro 500 (550 in aus as you point out). It's a great machine.

charlie

Ah brilliant machine, excellent choice! I love mine, enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by Andreaaaa View Post
    Quick afterthought. It was the Aus modifications that made this one win for me. The Pro 500 has Pro 550 on the box which is the Australian model. I was impressed with the way the Aussies go back to Italy and tell them how to improve their gear.
    Morning Adrea, welcome to Coffee Snobs, congratulations on your new machine.

Not sure this is a case of "the Aussies go back to Italy and tell them how to improve their gear." I have always believed the different set up specs are related to differences between the European and Australian climate, and I assume taste differences between our two countries.

What I will say is, a good shot in Italy is just a good as similar in Aust, and, of course the reverse applies.

Enjoy your Pro 500.
    Barry O'Speedwagon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreaaaa View Post
    I finally bit the bullet and picked up a Pro 500.

I was going from a pretty basic Sunbeam and first looked at the Rancilio Silvia but was quickly tempted to spend even more and get a Rocket I saw at the same store so with the payout getting serious it was time to do some serious research. I spent many hours on this forum and websites and watched a heap of YouTube reviews.
    I got down to a short list of the and finally decided on the Pro 500. Iím no expert but reviews I read and watched where full of praise and when I finally got to see the machine I could see why and it was an easy decision in the end.

Anyway, my budget is blown but Iím glad it is. The next step is to upgrade from my Sunbeam grinders so itís time to do some grinder research now and send a letter to Santa. Iím dreaming of a Profitec grinder but Santa is unlikely to approve that one. Thanks for the forum posters for sharing their experiences and helping me to find my way into serious home coffee.

Andrea !
    Congrats Andrea, good choice!

Rbn
    Goodness, it would need to be good if it what I just looked up NZ$3200.00.
    Sure looks good, and sounds good.

Out of interest, how much better will the shot be compared with an EM6910/7000 or a similarly speced Breville?

Quote Originally Posted by rawill View Post
    Goodness, it would need to be good if it what I just looked up NZ$3200.00.
    Sure looks good, and sounds good.

Out of interest, how much better will the shot be compared with an EM6910/7000 or a similarly speced Breville?
    How long is a piece of strung?

The big differences will be in longevity and reliability, as well as ease/enjoyment of use. The top Sunbeam and Breville machines are certainly capable of quality shots - for a time - though IME consistently good results are easier to achieve with an e-61 machine compared to an EM6910.

TCO would favour the Profitec over its lifetime, if looked after.
    rawill likes this.

Rbn
    Thank you MM.

Maybe my coffee palate is not that sophisticated, but at over 10,000 shots I can get what IMO is better coffee than lots I have had from cafes.
    Not saying it would be anywhere near as good as the machines we are discussing here, but then maybe I am making the case on behalf of my bank balance!

But yes I have had to do some maintenance, and just replacing the collar now.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsk8r View Post
    Ah brilliant machine, excellent choice! I love mine, enjoy it!
    Thanks for the encouragement and thanks for the welcome Sion and others. TBH, was actually intimidated by some of the hard core people on here so thanks for the nice soft start. I'm more of a lurker but when I get serious about the grinder change I will pick your collective brains again if that's OK? Right now the sunbeam is just managing on its lowest setting.
    Pro 500 machine update - PERFECTION would be understating it and no regrets.

Always great to have and use a quality bit of kit, completes the whole experience, and makes it easier to get excellent and repeatable results.

Cheers

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4