Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree376Likes

Thread: Profitec Pro 500

I finally bit the bullet and picked up a Pro 500.

I was going from a pretty basic Sunbeam and first looked at the Rancilio Silvia but was quickly tempted to spend even more and get a Rocket I saw at the same store so with the payout getting serious it was time to do some serious research. I spent many hours on this forum and websites and watched a heap of YouTube reviews.
    I got down to a short list of the and finally decided on the Pro 500. I’m no expert but reviews I read and watched where full of praise and when I finally got to see the machine I could see why and it was an easy decision in the end.

Anyway, my budget is blown but I’m glad it is. The next step is to upgrade from my Sunbeam grinders so it’s time to do some grinder research now and send a letter to Santa. I’m dreaming of a Profitec grinder but Santa is unlikely to approve that one. Thanks for the forum posters for sharing their experiences and helping me to find my way into serious home coffee.

Andrea !
    Brewster, Dimal, greenman and 2 others like this.

Quick afterthought. It was the Aus modifications that made this one win for me. The Pro 500 has Pro 550 on the box which is the Australian model. I was impressed with the way the Aussies go back to Italy and tell them how to improve their gear.
    Dimal likes this.

Site Sponsor
    Congratulations Andrea on the Pro 500 (550 in aus as you point out). It's a great machine.

charlie

Ah brilliant machine, excellent choice! I love mine, enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by Andreaaaa View Post
    Quick afterthought. It was the Aus modifications that made this one win for me. The Pro 500 has Pro 550 on the box which is the Australian model. I was impressed with the way the Aussies go back to Italy and tell them how to improve their gear.
    Morning Adrea, welcome to Coffee Snobs, congratulations on your new machine.

Not sure this is a case of "the Aussies go back to Italy and tell them how to improve their gear." I have always believed the different set up specs are related to differences between the European and Australian climate, and I assume taste differences between our two countries.

What I will say is, a good shot in Italy is just a good as similar in Aust, and, of course the reverse applies.

Enjoy your Pro 500.
    Dimal and Barry O'Speedwagon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreaaaa View Post
    I finally bit the bullet and picked up a Pro 500.

I was going from a pretty basic Sunbeam and first looked at the Rancilio Silvia but was quickly tempted to spend even more and get a Rocket I saw at the same store so with the payout getting serious it was time to do some serious research. I spent many hours on this forum and websites and watched a heap of YouTube reviews.
    I got down to a short list of the and finally decided on the Pro 500. Iím no expert but reviews I read and watched where full of praise and when I finally got to see the machine I could see why and it was an easy decision in the end.

Anyway, my budget is blown but Iím glad it is. The next step is to upgrade from my Sunbeam grinders so itís time to do some grinder research now and send a letter to Santa. Iím dreaming of a Profitec grinder but Santa is unlikely to approve that one. Thanks for the forum posters for sharing their experiences and helping me to find my way into serious home coffee.

Andrea !
    Congrats Andrea, good choice!

Rbn
    Goodness, it would need to be good if it what I just looked up NZ$3200.00.
    Sure looks good, and sounds good.

Out of interest, how much better will the shot be compared with an EM6910/7000 or a similarly speced Breville?

Quote Originally Posted by rawill View Post
    Goodness, it would need to be good if it what I just looked up NZ$3200.00.
    Sure looks good, and sounds good.

Out of interest, how much better will the shot be compared with an EM6910/7000 or a similarly speced Breville?
    How long is a piece of strung?

The big differences will be in longevity and reliability, as well as ease/enjoyment of use. The top Sunbeam and Breville machines are certainly capable of quality shots - for a time - though IME consistently good results are easier to achieve with an e-61 machine compared to an EM6910.

TCO would favour the Profitec over its lifetime, if looked after.
    rawill likes this.

Rbn
    Thank you MM.

Maybe my coffee palate is not that sophisticated, but at over 10,000 shots I can get what IMO is better coffee than lots I have had from cafes.
    Not saying it would be anywhere near as good as the machines we are discussing here, but then maybe I am making the case on behalf of my bank balance!

But yes I have had to do some maintenance, and just replacing the collar now.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsk8r View Post
    Ah brilliant machine, excellent choice! I love mine, enjoy it!
    Thanks for the encouragement and thanks for the welcome Sion and others. TBH, was actually intimidated by some of the hard core people on here so thanks for the nice soft start. I'm more of a lurker but when I get serious about the grinder change I will pick your collective brains again if that's OK? Right now the sunbeam is just managing on its lowest setting.
    Pro 500 machine update - PERFECTION would be understating it and no regrets.

Always great to have and use a quality bit of kit, completes the whole experience, and makes it easier to get excellent and repeatable results.

Cheers

Hi

I haven't been here for a while. I have now updated from an EM6910 to a Profitec Pro 500. Just picked it up from Jetblack Espresso, it still in the box. Cannot wait to try out.

I am about to upgrade my machine and am considering the Pro 500 as my pick, I noticed there is a PID model available, has it been released in Australia yet? Also after a recommendation on a grinder as well, thinking a Quamar Q50e.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    That should probably read "Spouse"...
    There are some very snobby female CSers here too you know.

Mal.
    Sorry, but why canít he call his wife his wife?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyhakins View Post
    Sorry, but why canít he call his wife his wife?
    There actually used to be a post in there from an ex-member and it's deleted, and it was that post that Mal was responding to. Otherwise it does look odd XD
    Magic_Matt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by russo View Post
    I am about to upgrade my machine and am considering the Pro 500 as my pick, I noticed there is a PID model available, has it been released in Australia yet? Also after a recommendation on a grinder as well, thinking a Quamar Q50e.
    Hi

The Profitec pro 500 available here are modified for the Australian market and they are actually called Profitec Pro 550. The modifications are a a copper or brass boiler instead of stainless steel and some other heat stabilisation measures so you shouldn't need a PID.

Site Sponsor
    Yep the Pro 500 (or 550) is one of the most temperature stable machines in our line up and it doesn't need a PID to achieve that.

charlie
    mipl, HorseFD, JMcCee and 1 others like this.

OK, after 4 months with my Profitec Pro 500 here are some of my thoughts.

I did lots of reading and You-Tubing before buying and before long all roads led to this machine (for me anyway) with all boxes where ticked for design, quality and performance.

4 months on I am still smashing this machine daily and it hasnít missed a beat. At a family day I made about 30 coffees and again it never missed a beat!

I canít think of anything I donít like about the machine and donít think Iíll ever need to change or upgrade, but never say never I know.

Yours from coffee heaven
    Griiiiiillsy !

3 years for me and agree 100%!

Cheers
    Mal

This may be a ridiculous question - feel free to give me feedback!

When I got my P500 I immediately upgraded the basket and screen to IMS - I'm using an 18g-22g basket. I recently got a naked portafilter and its it came another triple basket. I noticed the base of the IMS basket is quite rounded, whereas the new triple is quite flat. This led me to think about which is best, and I'm now getting a new tamper and need to settle on a basket as I'll match my tamper to it.

So my question is about the setup of screen-tamper-basket. The IMS basket is a fair bit more rounded than the shower screen. Is that the best setup? Shouldn't the roundness be matched so the water flow is uniform across the entire puck? Or is that just going too far?

This may be a ridiculous question - feel free to give me feedback!
    ....crickets
    I read this a while back and thought I would wait for a brave soul to tackle it.
    I see your logic but I think the crickets 🦗 show that maybe you were doing just a bit to far as you were thinking.
    All the best fellow Pro 500 user
    GR

So my question is about the setup of screen-tamper-basket. The IMS basket is a fair bit more rounded than the shower screen. Is that the best setup? Shouldn't the roundness be matched so the water flow is uniform across the entire puck? Or is that just going too far?
    Don't overthink it - just try the various combinations and settle on what you think works best for you.
    arcachon and Brewster like this.

The roundness of the basket will affect water flow, however the layout, size, and number of holes will also affect water flow. As long as the engineers who designed and tested the basket accounted for both you have nothing to worry about. You should worry more about the quality of the engineering behind the basket as a whole than any one attribute.
    As dbun said try it and see.
    Dimal likes this.

Hi P500 users. I’m wondering what sort of steam output you’re getting from your machine? Specifically, what is the resting pressure, and what does it drop to during steaming? I’m asking because I’m finding mine dropping sharply to 0.5-0.6 and milk texturing is being affected.

Hi P500 users. Iím wondering what sort of steam output youíre getting from your machine? Specifically, what is the resting pressure, and what does it drop to during steaming? Iím asking because Iím finding mine dropping sharply to 0.5-0.6 and milk texturing is being affected.
    The rest pressure on mine is always 1.15 or 1.25 (can't remember...), and always raises back consistently to that. Not sure what it drops down to during steaming... will have to check.

Just make sure you're not steaming straight after using the hot water tap (or moreso while/straight after the boiler refills), it really struggles then (due to its need for boiler water) and the pressure drops right down.

I have noticed mine has been struggling a little with steam pressure of late, but usually has really great steam pressure if I'm doing a second drink after it has recovered... not sure if anyone else finds this! It's just the first drink that it starts great, then drops a bit, so not sure if mine is similar to yours crazyhakins...

It still steams it properly but feels like there's more of a dropoff for the first drink...

Hi there.
    Thatís completely weird to I reckon itís time for you to visit a coffee technician as thatís just way off.
    Mine sits around 1.2-1.3 bar and drops no lower than 1 bar during steaming. I can steam almost continuously and it holds above 1 bar so anything under 1 bar says Ďtech problemí to me.
    Let us know what you or the technician find.

Try lowering the fill level probe to reduce the volume of water in the boiler.
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyrebird View Post
    Would have no idea how to do that, but I also notice the boiler refills quite quickly after some water being used, like maybe a bit quicker than what I would expect, so if I did that I’d be concerned there then wouldn’t be enough water in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grillsy View Post
    Hi there.
    That’s completely weird to I reckon it’s time for you to visit a coffee technician as that’s just way off.
    Mine sits around 1.2-1.3 bar and drops no lower than 1 bar during steaming. I can steam almost continuously and it holds above 1 bar so anything under 1 bar says ‘tech problem’ to me.
    That WAS my experience too but it recently deteriorated.

Hi there.
    That’s completely weird to I reckon it’s time for you to visit a coffee technician as that’s just way off.
    Mine sits around 1.2-1.3 bar and drops no lower than 1 bar during steaming. I can steam almost continuously and it holds above 1 bar so anything under 1 bar says ‘tech problem’ to me.
    I'm finding it sometimes behaves that way and the resulting textured milk is good, but often it's struggling. After pulling 2 shots, no flushing inbetween, it struggles hard, and that's not even steam whilst pulling a shot. Instead of glossy milk I'm getting garbage. It also squeals and sounds awful.

Hi P500 users. I’m wondering what sort of steam output you’re getting from your machine? Specifically, what is the resting pressure, and what does it drop to during steaming? I’m asking because I’m finding mine dropping sharply to 0.5-0.6 and milk texturing is being affected.
    You might be surprised how quickly the steam tip clogs up despite looking clean and with proper cleaning after each use. I use a metal pick, well it's actually one of those things you stick into either end of a corn cob, every couple of weeks and I'm surprised the improvement in steaming each time.
    Brewster likes this.

I agree with Robbo1111. My steam tip cleaning tool of choice is a paper clip. Although no noticeable clogging, I always get improved streaming after using the paper clip.

Cheers
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
    I agree with Robbo1111. My steam tip cleaning tool of choice is a paper clip. Although no noticeable clogging, I always get improved streaming after using the paper clip.

Cheers
    Mal
    Tip is clean, definitely not the cause of the issue.

I’m keen to hear from a couple of other P500 users to see wht their experience is. It’s been suggested that I adjust the pressure stat to 1.3. I’m not convinced that’s the solution though. It’s seems to me to maybe be an overall boiler management issue but I don’t know enough about it. Just my obs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyrebird View Post
    This is definitely something worth checking as the symptoms you describe do fit with a reduced volume above the water level...

Mal.

Maybe that technician wont be needed at al thanks to the coffee snobs brains trust...

This is what pressure I was steaming at this morning. This is after discharging maybe 75mls hot water to preheat a cup, then pulling a shot and opening the steam valve. Went straight down to below 0.5. The machine had sat idle for over an hour so should have been ready for business.
    Attached Images Attached Images

G'day "crazyhakins"...

Did you buy your machine new or as used?
    Only asking because, if it has been a while since serviced by a reputable technical workshop, the machine could maybe do with a thorough going over.

Mal.
    Last edited by Dimal; 5 Days Ago at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    G'day "crazyhakins"...

Did you buy your machine new or as used?
    Only asking because, if it has been a while since serviced by a reputable technical, the machine could maybe do with a thorough going over.

Mal.
    Hi Mal,

It’s new to me. Was bought as a refurb. Its about 3 years old. Im going to try altering the pressure stat to see if that yields any improvement. I have my doubts. Will keep the community update in case any other P500 users encounter this issue.
    Dimal likes this.

Once the steam pressure gets up to where it’s supposed to and the pressure stat kicks off, should it hold that pressure? Or is it normal to then slide down from say 1.3 to 1.0 and then hover there?

The Pstat has two control points: one (the higher pressure) where it turns the heater off and one (the lower pressure) where it turns the heater on again.

Normal behaviour is to heat to the top point, slowly* cool back the the lower point, quickly* heat back to the top point, repeat. The area between the control points is called the dead band.

* How slowly it cools depends on the thermal mass and the insulation of the boiler. How quickly it heats depends on the thermal mass and the output of the heater.

Once the steam pressure gets up to where itís supposed to and the pressure stat kicks off, should it hold that pressure? Or is it normal to then slide down from say 1.3 to 1.0 and then hover there?
    I'm currently running two machines that use P'stats and they both have a dead band of 0.2 bar.
    They never hover, but constantly fluctuate between min and max.
    As Lyrebird said above, they fairly quickly climb to their peak pressure, then gradually drop, until the switch operates and they rise again, and so on.
    A while back one of them was fluctuating by nearly 0.4 bar min/max so I replaced the P'stat, whereupon it went back to the 0.2 bar band again.

This is what pressure I was steaming at this morning. This is after discharging maybe 75mls hot water to preheat a cup,
    There’s your problem. Pulling hot water from the boiler immediately kills the pressure.

That's not to say don't use the boiler water to preheat the cups. It's a great idea and it's good for your machine. The issue is the timing of the work sequence.

If you draw water from the hot water wand, the machine will replenish the water level with cold water. This is kryptonite to boiler pressure (as you've discovered). After drawing off the hot water, allow the machine a solid 2 minutes to recover full steam pressure and you should be good.
    Last edited by herzog; 2 Days Ago at 12:03 PM.
    robusto likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by herzog View Post
    Thereís your problem. Pulling hot water from the boiler immediately kills the pressure.
    YES! After pulling hot water from the boiler the machine definitely needs a little time to get back to full pressure. You got it now!

YES! After pulling hot water from the boiler the machine definitely needs a little time to get back to full pressure. You got it now!
    Im rarely using the hot water wand as the cups preheat on the top of the machine. I’m mainly just pulling shots and I find even after one shot, no flushing, the steam struggles and quickly drops out of the optimum pressure. It seems my machine wants to be a single boiler! It’s under warranty, I’ve asked it to be fixed.

Hey mate, have just filmed my Profitec Pro 500 gauge just to show you how mine goes during steaming as a reference. It's filmed at an angle but you can still sorta see

Oh and it was steaming for just one latte (150ml milk or so??)

https://youtu.be/7ac6Bi2MgyY

Quote Originally Posted by simonsk8r View Post
    Hey mate, have just filmed my Profitec Pro 500 gauge just to show you how mine goes during steaming as a reference. It's filmed at an angle but you can still sorta see

Oh and it was steaming for just one latte (150ml milk or so??)

https://youtu.be/7ac6Bi2MgyY

That’s what I want mine to do - maintain steam pressure through milk texturing. Mine is rolling off down to 0.6 or 0.5.

Hi Mal,

Itís new to me. Was bought as a refurb. Its about 3 years old. Im going to try altering the pressure stat to see if that yields any improvement. I have my doubts. Will keep the community update in case any other P500 users encounter this issue.
    I agree with Mal on this. If the machine now does what it didn't do before, it is either a fault or a maintenance issue. If it was my machine, I wouldn't consider adjusting anything but would whip it off to a qualified service technician for diagnosis. If it hasn't been serviced in the 3 years you have owned it then it is overdue.
    Dimal and beensean like this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234