Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree284Likes

Thread: Profitec Pro 500

Profitec Pro 500

Hi All,

As this is my first post I'll quickly introduce myself..
    I decided about a month ago that i would get a coffee machine for home, initially i was simply going to get a Breville unit, however I love to research, and i soon found this forum and have been enjoying reading the huge amount on information you all share here. Now here we are a couple of weeks later and I've decided that the Profitec pro 500 is the machine for me. I'm amazed at the build quality, however as this is stretching my budget I want to be sure I'm making the right decision for us and there is one question in the back of my mind which i was hoping someone may be able to share their thoughts on.

I understand the Pro 500 is a HX machine and for the most part it will be used for milk based drinks but i also enjoy the odd espresso (1 or 2 a week). So my question is.. will this machine still produce a decent espresso even though its not a dual boiler?.. I know this probably sounds like a stupid question and I'm thinking it will more than likely be fine, but its a big purchase so I thought I'd just put it out there!

I enjoy my coffee but i couldn't see myself adjusting a PID if i had one or getting that technical with the whole process. I also liked the simplicity of the engineering in a HX machine. I love what i see in the Profitec machines.. and the price jump to the Pro 700 doesn't seem justified in my situation for the odd espresso.

I should also note that i looked at the Profitec 300 but i still kept coming back to the 500. There's something about the styling of the Profitec 300 that doesn't appeal to me and the small boilers.

I'd really appreciate any feedback if anyone has had any experience with the Pro 500 machine.

Thank you

This time last year I followed a very similar line of investigation, I bought an ECM equivalent to the Profitec 500. Not an ounce of regret despite stretching the budget. You'll love it

Thanks readeral I remember reading your post about your initial purchase. It was very helpful. And yes I think I just needed to hear what I already knew!
    Can I ask what grinder you ended up with?

No worries brono77. I ended up with a Profitec T64. It's great. I haven't owned any other grinders so can't compare for you, but it's a good match. A bit costly, but worth saving up for IMO. Took me a further 6 months before I could buy it. I have a review on it too on this site.

If you're in Sydney, go see JetBlack. Or wherever you are, go see a sponsor sooner rather than later. Let them pull you some shots on the machines and taste for yourself. It'll help.
    Airsk, Brewster, Dimal and 1 others like this.

Hi brono77.
    I own a Profitec Pro 500 and love it! Bought it from site sponser Di Bartoli, also in Sydney. They were great to deal with. Upgraded from Breville BES 900 dual boiler about 12 months ago.
    Lack of PID is not an issue for the average snob.
    As readeral said, try to get to a site sponser if reasonably close. It will be well worth the effort and will put your mind at ease.
    Good luck with the purchase.
    Mal

Hi Brono.

Congrats on buying the Pro 500. Great machine and good idea to buy locally and support your local guy. After all, he put the time in to demo the machine for you.

Thanks heaps for coming to me for the grinder and Pesado accessories.

It means a lot that you chose me. My favourite enquiry is yours. ie, I like your Snobs contributions and want to support you. Music to my ears.

Please post pics when you get the kit.

Cheers
    Paul
    Laj likes this.

Thanks Brewster and readeral. Unfortunately I'm in Perth and wanted to buy locally because I preferred the idea of being close to the point of purchase so I was unable to buy the machine through a sponsor.
    Although I had the pleasure of speaking to Paul from K Bean today who helped clear up any doubt I had regarding my choice of grinder. As a result I bought it through K Bean which also meant I had some room left in the budget for a bunch of Pesado gear he stocks! Very happy everything is now ordered. And now just need to wait for it all to arrive.
    PS - can't speak highly enough of Paul at K Bean. Was a pleasure to deal with and very prompt response.
    Thanks again all. I look forward to updating once I've got everything up and running!

Hi Paul,
    I was typing this on my phone and didn't see your post until I just posted mine.
    I'll certainly update when everything arrives.. And thanks again for your time today. I wish I called you a week ago!
    K_Bean_Coffee likes this.

Congratulations on the purchase brono77.
    I totally get why you would want to buy locally. I was going down the same path myself until the local guy back flipped on a commitment he gave me when I purchased a new grinder from him some months before the espresso machine.
    Fortunately for me I am within a reasonable drive to Sydney and so I was happy to make the trip down.
    On this site we are very fortunate to have a number of really helpful sponsers and I wouldn't hesitate to contact any one of them. Glad to see you have had a good experience with Paul.
    Am looking forward to hearing your impressions of the Pro 500.
    Mal
    ScottyF and Laj like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
    I totally get why you would want to buy locally.
    .....so do I. I think when you walk into someone's showroom and they spend time demonstrating a machine the decent thing to do is to buy from them. WELL DONE
    Of course, I'm seriously honoured that you came to me for the grinder and accessories.
    Cheers, Paul
    ScottyF and Listen4Life like this.

What grinder did you end up with?

Paul has recommended the Pro 500 to me and I'm just trying to find time to get to Sydney to check out a few Machines.
    I'm a sucker for a matching pair so the T64 would be a real consideration if I go with the 500.....

Quote Originally Posted by RiverDixon View Post

Paul has recommended the Pro 500 to me and I'm just trying to find time to get to Sydney to check out a few Machines.
    I'm a sucker for a matching pair so the T64 would be a real consideration if I go with the 500.....
    The Rocket Fausto looks nice with a Profitec. Just saying...

I got some advice that accessing the burrs for cleaning and replacement was potentially tricky on the T64. The Fausto has some real speed to it. It's super accurate of putting coffee into the centre of the basket. I went with black, but there is a chrome version as well.

I'm really happy with my decision to buy the Pro 700.

IMG_01090.jpg
    Brewster and Dimal like this.

Nice!

I was originally leaning towards a Rocket machine, This would be a nice way to get a bit of both..
    K_Bean_Coffee and ScottyF like this.

Nice!

I was originally leaning towards a Rocket machine, This would be a nice way to get a bit of both..
    Sounds like a winning combination to me! Let us know what you end of with and post a pic or two.

Beautiful setup Scotty.
    RivDix, I generally recommend the Fausto for Rockets, S-Auto or Titan 64 for ECMs and T-64 for Profitecs - just to match machine and grinder brands. All 3 are amazing grinders. It really comes down to aesthetics at this level. On that note, if you like the look of the Macap M4D, get that and save some $. That's what I did.
    Cheers, Paul
    ScottyF and RiverDixon like this.

Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyF View Post
    The Rocket Fausto looks nice with a Profitec. Just saying...

I got some advice that accessing the burrs for cleaning and replacement was potentially tricky on the T64.
    You remove the micrometric gear (about a minute) and then the top burr carrier (allow another minute to be on the safe side). And voila, as if by magic, you have access to both burrs. Perhaps the guy giving you advice was planning to do it via the bottom of the grinder?

The Fausto has some real speed to it.
    Indeed, but the Pro T64 is faster. (eg grinding 21 grams for a 30 second double shot we had our demo grinders set as follows: 10.5 seconds on the Fausto versus 7.5 on the Pro T64).

It's super accurate of putting coffee into the centre of the basket.

I went with black, but there is a chrome version as well.

I'm really happy with my decision to buy the Pro 700.
    Magic_Matt and RiverDixon like this.

I went with the Quamar Q50. It arrived Thursday so I've only had the weekend to play with it but so far it's been great.
    As I'm very much a novice to all this so I can't compare it to anything else. What I can say is that it's quieter than I expected, it's a good size for a home and most importantly the coffee tastes amazing!

I was a little worried that I wasn't going to be able to get a good shot for at least a couple of weeks of playing with it but after about 8 shots and making some adjustments I was getting very good results.

Also if you go with pro 500 I'm sure you'll be happy. It is a seriously well made machine. Also one interesting fact of the Pro 500 is that the Australian version has a copper boiler and not the stainless steel like the rest of the world.

Good luck with the decision. Hope to hear what you end up choosing!

Quote Originally Posted by brono77 View Post
    if you go with pro 500 I'm sure you'll be happy.
    He did and he will be - paired with a T-64 and pimped up with a Zebrano Pesado 58.5 tamper and PF handle. Enjoy the new toys RD.
    Cheers Paul
    Listen4Life likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by brono77 View Post
    I went with the Quamar Q50. It arrived Thursday so I've only had the weekend to play with it but so far it's been great.
    As I'm very much a novice to all this so I can't compare it to anything else. What I can say is that it's quieter than I expected, it's a good size for a home and most importantly the coffee tastes amazing!
    Awesome to get that feedback Brono. Enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post
    He did and he will be - paired with a T-64 and pimped up with a Zebrano Pesado 58.5 tamper and PF handle. Enjoy the new toys RD.
    Cheers Paul
    Can't wait. My Wife doesn't understand why I need the upgrade or why I had to look at "every machine ever made" to make the decision. ..
    Glad to hear your happy with it and got it dialed in quickly.
    Put up a pic when ya get a chance.
    Cheers

My Wife doesn't understand why I need the upgrade or why I had to look at "every machine ever made" to make the decision.
    They rarely do.....
    LFM60 likes this.

That should probably read "Spouse"...
    There are some very snobby female CSers here too you know.

Mal.

Excellent point Mal - so true

Hi All,

It's been about a month now since getting myself the pro500 which I paired with a quamar Q50 so I thought I'd just give a quick update incase anyone was in a similar position to me when I was researching.
    As I've said before I can't compare this equipment to other machines so this is just an opinion from a novice with no prior experience with any coffee machines.
    Firstly I have to say I'm very very happy with my purchase. I admit I did a fair amount of research on the equipment and the art of making great espresso before I got my hands on it but I always had a small fear that I may not be able to produce decent espresso. I was surprised and very happy how quickly I was able to start pulling great shots.

I was also concerned that the 4 hole steam tip might take a Lot of practice to get under control as it produces a lot of steam, and I must admit, it was a little tricky at first but I can now produce excellent microfoam and in what I would consider a very short time frame (I haven't timed it but I would say about 30 seconds for 2 cups)

The built quality on the pro500 is everything I expected of a high end machine. It's a work of art and looks great in the kitchen!

The Q50 has also been great. Don't expect the same build quality as the pro 500 in some areas but your not paying a high end price for this grinder either. Overall I'm very happy with it. It's quiet. It was very easy to dial in and I find it more than fast enough to grind a double shot. I started off weighing my shots but I soon was able to judge it by eye and to be honest I just want to enjoy the process in a relaxed fashion. I remember reading so much about grind retention and speed and timed dosing and noise levels in regard to grinders and in hindsight most of the things I was concerned about when researching turned out to be a non issue for home use. In my opinion the q50 is more than enough of a machine for someone like me and home use. Although at the end of the day I would suggest speaking to the site sponsors that contribute on this forum. They are very knowledgable, and yes it is their business to sell you equipment, but with the open and clear contributions everyone makes on this forum it would be soon obvious if their customers were not happy.

All in all I wish I had done this years ago. It seemed like a daunting task getting a manual machine but in the end it's been very easy to get the hang of it and I developed a routine with the machine and the whole process pretty quickly.

And most importantly the coffee is absolutely amazing!
    Brewster, Dimal, kenny_c and 5 others like this.

brono77

Thanks for giving us feedback about your purchase of the Pro 500. The Quamar seems to be a very good grinder at its price point. A pic or two of your set up down the track would be nice to see.

Cheers

Scott

Smile

Hi again Brono77
    Great to hear that the Pro500 has lived up to your expectations.
    This brand is building up quite a good reputation.
    When I purchased mine, there wasn't a lot being said about them on this site, so it's feedback like yours together with my own happy experience, that gives me confidence in recommending this machine to those looking for buying advice in this category.
    Cheers
    Mal

Profitec Pro 500

Thanks for posting Brono77.
    It's always great to get this sort of feedback. It's useful to us sponsors, to seasoned Snobs and to site visitors. The Profitec Pro 500 has become one of my best selling machines. It hits a sweet spot for quality, performance and price.
    I have people walk in for an entry level machine who walk out with a Pro500 and I have people walk in for a DB who walk out with a Pro500 and save $1k+.
    The real clincher is the vibe pump. With German smarts the vibration has been dampened so it's not much louder than a typical rotary. On paper this may "sound" like a sales pitch (pun intended)..... But honestly, when I fire up the Pro500 I often get asked "is that a rotary?" It's not just my word - In the "Whole Latte Love" video review they say "this is the quietest vibe pump machine they know of."
    The key reason I have found it difficult to move the Bezzera Domus Galatea "rattler" is that it sits beside the "quiet," and much better quality, Pro500. My demo Domus has just been gathering dust for 4 months - now it's at $2000 to clear and still won't move.
    Keep enjoying that setup my friend.
    Cheers, Paul
    Pro500 Link: https://sites.google.com/site/thekbean/profitec
    Last edited by K_Bean_Coffee; 4th September 2016 at 09:42 PM.
    Brewster likes this.

Hi Brono77
    Where in Perth did you find the Profitec? And did the dealer explain the machine or demo it?
    Thanks Johnd

Quote Originally Posted by Johnd80 View Post
    Where in Perth did you find the Profitec? And did the dealer explain the machine or demo it.
    That one came from me John. I send many machines across the Nullarbor. Cheers, Paul
    www.kbean.com.au

Laj
    This is a nice read. Thanks for posting.

The quiet vibe pump on the Profitec Pro 500 is well known. The pic below shows the big rubber mounts. Great innovation and just so simple.
    GunBarista likes this.

I have noticed it is not just the mounts that can make a difference but also the pipes to and from the pump. If they are too stiff/badly routed/touching things they can easily transmit the vibrations and increase noise. Something you might be able to tweak on loud machines to tame them.

Great to see some machines addressing the noise and vibration effectively.

Cheers
    Dimal, Magic_Matt and GunBarista like this.

The quiet vibe pump on the Profitec Pro 500 is well known. The pic below shows the big rubber mounts. Great innovation and just so simple.
    First time I fired up a Pro500 I honestly thought it had a rotary pump... I just couldn't believe how quiet it was!

I wonder if this will remind quiet for years to come. Either way, I'm amazed.

On the contrary I find the vibrations on my profitec 500 causes the cups to rattle away on the warming tray and the drip tray.
    Is this normal behaivour for other profitec 500 users?

Quote Originally Posted by charzy View Post
    On the contrary I find the vibrations on my profitec 500 causes the cups to rattle away on the warming tray and the drip tray.
    mmm how long have you had yours for?

Quote Originally Posted by GunBarista View Post
    mmm how long have you had yours for?
    I've had mine for around 1.5 months now, and has been like this on day 1. The warming tray do have rubber grommets underneath it, as do the main feet of the machine.

I've had mine for around 1.5 months now, and has been like this on day 1. The warming tray do have rubber grommets underneath it, as do the main feet of the machine.
    No that's not normal behaviour for a Pro500 straight out of the box...

I'll let the experts guide you on this, but even if it's loud it shouldn't rattle your warming tray and the cups on it...

I've had mine for 19 months. No rattles for me, but I also don't have more cups on the warming tray than I am going to use in any one session, probably max. of 6 at a time.

Cheers
    Mal
    K_Bean_Coffee and charzy like this.

I'm going to check the feet of the machine again to make sure they're planted firmly, but the benchtop seems pretty solid.
    It's pretty annoying when my 60mL tiny measuring cup rattles away from the pour and I have to start all over again.

I'm going to check the feet of the machine again to make sure they're planted firmly, but the benchtop seems pretty solid.
    It's pretty annoying when my 60mL tiny measuring cup rattles away from the pour and I have to start all over again.
    Hi Charzy,
    Check that the feet have the rubber rings in them and also, check that the machine is level. Of course, you can adjust the feet individually to level the machine.
    If you have really light cups a little rattling could happen with a Pro 500 or even a Rotary.
    I always put a rubber mat on my machines to stop any rattling and scratching.
    Cheers, Paul
    Pic of mat on my Pro 800:

Hi Charzy,
    Check that the feet have the rubber rings in them and also, check that the machine is level. Of course, you can adjust the feet individually to level the machine.
    If you have really light cups a little rattling could happen with a Pro 500 or even a Rotary.
    I always put a rubber mat on my machines to stop any rattling and scratching.
    Cheers, Paul
    Pic of mat on my Pro 800:
    Need to get me a mat I think. Been intending on it ever since I got my machine! Would solve some cup rattle issues (and tank flap issues)
    greenman and K_Bean_Coffee like this.

Quote Originally Posted by readeral View Post
    Need to get me a mat I think. Been intending on it ever since I got my machine! Would solve some cup rattle issues (and tank flap issues)
    Good idea Al. I highly recommend it

I use a tea towel for my Synchronika - this one's from Aldi

Brewster, Smee and GunBarista like this.

Nice one Magic.
    dlight likes this.

Hi Pro 500 owners.

Wondering what else is under the bonnet?

Here are some pics:

Cheers, Paul
    www.kbean.com.au

Hi Pro 500 owners.

Wondering what else is under the bonnet?

Here are some pics:

Cheers, Paul
    www.kbean.com.au
    Absolute porn.

Thanks for the photos Paul,
    If this doesn't seal the deal then I don't know what will; Sirai, Gigar, wrapped boiler, spring valves etc.

All performance parts!
    Brewster and Listen4Life like this.

Apprentice Coffee snob
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Matt View Post
    I use a tea towel for my Synchronika - this one's from Aldi

What isle in Aldi do they keep the Synchronicka's ?

:P

Thats a beautiful set up MM !
    Magic_Matt, gordons and Biker12 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smee View Post

:P

Thats a beautiful set up MM !
    They were a special buy - some of the quieter stores might still have some

Thanks - works for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Smee View Post
    The SLOW aisle because that is the only type Aldi has.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast