Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Bezzera BZ10 + Quamar. "Second" impressions

Ah yes. I know a bloke who developed one for the Strega.

Worth doing in a BZ10?
    Dimal, kbc and TC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Casa Espresso View Post
    Ah yes. I know a bloke who developed one for the Strega.

Worth doing in a BZ10?
    What'll that be worth
    kbc likes this.

TC
    Worth doing in a BZ10?
    Rick would be the man to ask, but I'd think so.

If you could get away with a lower boiler pressure to deliver say 90 deg at the group and then post finish with PID controlled cartridge heaters, you get dual boiler tweakage
    Dimal, Casa Espresso, kbc and 1 others like this.

Yes Rick and I spoke about a PID on the Strega for months before we did it, he always new the cartridge heaters in the group made it a prime candidate for this job.

Lets see if we can get the same results on a Bezzera BZ10, the wheels are in motion......

Could turn the BZ 10 into a pocket rocket... (no inference intended)
    Dimal, TC and tannyboy like this.

Yes Rick and I spoke about a PID on the Strega for months before we did it, he always new the cartridge heaters in the group made it a prime candidate for this job.

Lets see if we can get the same results on a Bezzera BZ10, the wheels are in motion......

Could turn the BZ 10 into a pocket rocket... (no inference intended)
    I for one would be interested. Will follow intently

Hi tannyboy (and everyone else),

Thought Iíd check in on this thread as it seems the most appropriate. Iíve just upgraded to a BZ10 with a Baratza Sette 270W. Iím really enjoying the transition, learning, challenge and most importantly, taste!

My question to tannyboy (and others with the know-how) is how are you finding the standard Bezzera baskets? With some recent reading, I keep hearing the dosing for this machine is sensitive, and I read lots of differing opinions on what amount to use for the supplied double 16g basket.

Iíve gone up and down the recommended dosage amounts and have settled on 18g for my 16g basket (according to the scales on my grinder). But my puck is channeling still, and I have analysed the crap out of my tamp to make sure itís level and consistent. Iím starting to think I should upgrade to a VST basket.

But before I do, what are other owners dropping into the basket (dosage)? And are you able to get a nice shot without channeling and blonding?

Hi Azzabee, I bought a second-hand BZ99s about 12 months ago and really appreciate the step up from the previous Sunbeam appliance I had been using (which had become an expensive paperweight).

Shortly after acquiring my Bezzera I swapped out the standard single & double baskets with double & triple "Precision" baskets made by Coffee Parts, which I obtained through a previous site sponsor (however no longer active now so I don't believe I am allowed to post a link under the forum rules). This was mainly to account for the deepness of the shower screen in the BZ99s group head (which I believe is similar to the BZ10) - i.e. I'm packing in about a double dose into the triple basket, and about a single dose into the double, as the protruding shower screen reduces the available volume within the basket.

If you have a bit of a search on the forum here you might find a thread or two involving "debate" between VST or Coffee Parts Precision baskets - which I'm sure would have resulted in an all-in fist fight if the discussion was happening in person. I decided to go with the Precision baskets as they were a much more affordable price and from what I could understand maybe a bit forgiving to the home enthusiast. I can't however vouch for the VST basket, and at the risk of starting another virtual fist fight I'm happy to defer to anyone else's advice/experience on this matter!

As my approach to coffee making is a bit loose (hence the username) I don't bother with weighing my dosage amounts or checking my pucks etc. I can't really compare my current setup to another machine to know if my rig is a bit more sensitive, however with a Smart Grinder Pro and a crappy Sunbeam aluminium tamper I'm getting pretty consistent results just as good as standard cafe fare.

Keen to see what other advice is offered here - otherwise keep us posted with how you go!

Thanks for the reply CoffeeHack. Yes I definitely have a deep shower screen, and most reading points to using less grind in the filter. I tried using 14g in the 16g basket, but there was too much headroom and my shots were consistently wet/muddy.

Now Iíve settled for having the filter level prior to tamping, which by my scales, reads 18.8g. The puck is coming out better, but itís channeling.

Iíll check out the Precision vs VST debate and do a little more reading. If the Precision is more consistent, that can be good, as long as itís not giving up the flavour!

Quote Originally Posted by Azzabee View Post

Thought Iíd check in on this thread as it seems the most appropriate. Iíve just upgraded to a BZ10 with a Baratza Sette 270W. Iím really enjoying the transition, learning, challenge and most importantly, taste!

My question to tannyboy (and others with the know-how) is how are you finding the standard Bezzera baskets? With some recent reading, I keep hearing the dosing for this machine is sensitive, and I read lots of differing opinions on what amount to use for the supplied double 16g basket.

Iíve gone up and down the recommended dosage amounts and have settled on 18g for my 16g basket (according to the scales on my grinder). But my puck is channeling still, and I have analysed the crap out of my tamp to make sure itís level and consistent. Iím starting to think I should upgrade to a VST basket.

But before I do, what are other owners dropping into the basket (dosage)? And are you able to get a nice shot without channeling and blonding?
    I have two precision baskets that I tend to swap between. One is rated for 14 grams and one for 17 grams. Both are made by La Marzocco, the 17 grams basket carries the Strada logo, which I think the quality control on hole size didtribution is similar to that of a VST basket. I tend to dose 16.5 to 17 grams into the Strada basket. Depending om the grind setting required, it allows a little to no updosing without hitting the screen. OTOH with the same grind setting I use 15.5 grams for the other basket that is rated for 14 grams to get similar shot extraction times.

Thought I’d check in on this thread as it seems the most appropriate. I’ve just upgraded to a BZ10 with a Baratza Sette 270W. I’m really enjoying the transition, learning, challenge and most importantly, taste!
    To help us out a bit, what grinder and espresso machine are you upgrading from?

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    To help us out a bit, what grinder and espresso machine are you upgrading from?

Mal.
    A big step up Mal. The former was a Breville BES870 and Sunbeam EM0480 combo.

Hello again Azza'...

Have you given any thought to attending a home barista course?
    Coming from an 'appliance unit' to a prosumer model does require some extra focus applied to technique so may be beneficial...

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Have you given any thought to attending a home barista course?
    I'm thinking about it Mal, can you recommend any in the Brisbane area? I have a basic grasp on how to make an espresso and the variables involved. But there is definitely times where the cup comes out really good and there are flavours I've not experienced before. I'd like to be able to replicate this, as I'm sure most would.

For now I'll keep reading and experimenting at home, until I get to the point of total frustration! Any good reading out there you would recommend?

I think Di Bella at Bowen Hills have them regularly and Veneziano at West End used to do so...
    Worth ringing them.

Mal.

This thread has compelled me to pull out the scales and see what I'm dosing into the triple EP Precision basket, which to my surprise is 24g. So maybe I'm over-compensating a bit for the depth of the shower screen! I rarely ever get the smaller basket (the "double") out so don't really know how the Bezzera group head affects the dosing on the more-standard size basket.

CoffeeHack I can recall it has been stated in other posts on this forum particularly in the past year or so,
    that the Bezzera has a 'deep' shower screen / Heat Sink. I don't agree.
    IMHO It is more accurate to say when comparing a Sunbeam, to a Bezzera ( and all E61 Group machines )
    that in fact the Sunbeam has a shallow screen height.
    Ive had a BZ99 and now an E61 and my measurements are that a minimum of 8mm 'headheight' is needed for the puck
    to be clear of the showerscreen when the G/handle is locked away.
    The Sunbeam 6910 ( which I unfortunately had in the deep past) required much less. I cant recall the number maybe around 5mm
    at an educated guess.
    Most commercial machines are similar to the E61 in this setup.
    To my mind anyway it doesnt make any sense to overdose / updose / set the puck up to high.
    As a puck setup with less headheight than is required is only going to be sending grinds into and behind the screen which only causes
    contamination of the brew path and therefore more cleaning throughout the machines life.
    And more importantly affect the puck in your setup regime, such as fracturing the puck or further (over) compacting the puck.
    Which can only serve to cause another inconsistency in diagnosing the grind setting / tamp weight as part honing in on your setup.
    CoffeeHack likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by EspressoAdventurer View Post
    Ive had a BZ99 and now an E61 and my measurements are that a minimum of 8mm 'headheight' is needed for the puck
    to be clear of the showerscreen when the G/handle is locked away.
    Thatís interesting, thanks for posting. Iíll measure what my headroom is for the corresponding dose weight and report back. All I can say for now is my BZ10 is a sensitive little creature and likes to be up dosed.

Well that's one way to slow the shot. And a heavier tamp can slow the first drops to lengthen total shot time.
    My preference is to adjust the grind finer, measure and record. Taste !
    Once you hit your sweet spot, after a few days 'that recipe' will become second nature.

**Rider given good fresh beans are in use

19g in my Bezzera 16g basket gives 10.5mm of headroom. Again, according to the scales on my grinder. Shot pulls ok, so happy with dosage. But Iím still channeling. I measured the basket - 58.97mm. Tamp, 58mm on the dot. So maybe I need a bigger tamp?

Quote Originally Posted by EspressoAdventurer View Post
    CoffeeHack I can recall it has been stated in other posts on this forum particularly in the past year or so,
    that the Bezzera has a 'deep' shower screen / Heat Sink. I don't agree.
    IMHO It is more accurate to say when comparing a Sunbeam, to a Bezzera ( and all E61 Group machines )
    that in fact the Sunbeam has a shallow screen height.
    Thanks for the advice EA. I've never got to play with an E61 and my only other experience is a Sunbeam EM7000 so maybe I've been getting a bit too carried away with what I've previously read.

I can see what you mean with an under-dosed puck too, without any pre-infusion my BZ99 doees make a bit of a mess when it's sitting too low in the basket. I've recently had a change of beans and my doses must have been going a little low because I was getting sloppy pucks, but after slightly adjusting up again I'm getting good consistency.

19g in my Bezzera 16g basket gives 10.5mm of headroom. Again, according to the scales on my grinder. Shot pulls ok, so happy with dosage. But I’m still channeling. I measured the basket - 58.97mm. Tamp, 58mm on the dot. So maybe I need a bigger tamp?
    I'm not going to pretend I know about tamp size so I'll let someone else give you advice on that.

One thing I will add however, and I'm not sure if it could lead to the channelling issue, however just wanting to check that you're aware of the need to do a "cooling flush" prior to pulling an espresso when you're using a HX? Super-heated water may not be too kind to the puck when it hits the much-cooler coffee grounds, not to mention burning the coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeHack View Post
    I'm not going to pretend I know about tamp size so I'll let someone else give you advice on that.

One thing I will add however, and I'm not sure if it could lead to the channelling issue, however just wanting to check that you're aware of the need to do a "cooling flush" prior to pulling an espresso when you're using a HX? Super-heated water may not be too kind to the puck when it hits the much-cooler coffee grounds, not to mention burning the coffee.
    Thanks, aware of that one and making sure itís part of the routine. I sometimes flush a little longer to drop the temp to get a sweeter shot.

Back to the tamping board. Iím happy enough to be in the ballpark with grind and dose. Just a little technique refinement needed I think.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeHack View Post
    wanting to check that you're aware of the need to do a "cooling flush" prior to pulling an espresso when you're using a HX?
    If your machine has been properly setup by the vendor you bought it from, cooling flushes are unnecessary....

Mal.
    CoffeeHack likes this.

I measured the basket - 58.97mm. Tamp, 58mm on the dot. So maybe I need a bigger tamp?
    That will be fine - Less than 0.5mm radial clearance is tight enough...

Mal.
    Yelta likes this.

Wow I forgot this thread aha but I've got an IMS\VST 20g basket (not at home at present) for my general driver and I scales for that and I eyeball in the standard double with good results.

My change that I think that helped was getting a precision shower screen which is great and awesome to clean.

I tend not to get any channelling but the quamar and on decaf duties my sunbeam smart grinder works quite well. It's a bit touchy with the steps there but I'm content with the shots out of it. (Coming from a Gaggia baby). It loves fresh beans and keep with the trial and error. My tamp technique seems to work for me with the doses I use.

If you have any more particulars about the machine you want to know just reply here or pm me

Also I use my 58 tamp on the 58.5 basket and hasn't distracted from the experience. So my urgency to get like for like tamp/basket subsided.

BLW
    Thanks for the reply CoffeeHack. Yes I definitely have a deep shower screen, and most reading points to using less grind in the filter. I tried using 14g in the 16g basket, but there was too much headroom and my shots were consistently wet/muddy.

Now Iíve settled for having the filter level prior to tamping, which by my scales, reads 18.8g. The puck is coming out better, but itís channeling.

Iíll check out the Precision vs VST debate and do a little more reading. If the Precision is more consistent, that can be good, as long as itís not giving up the flavour!
    Hi Azzabee,
    I also upgraded just a bit over a month ago from a SB EM7000 to the BZ10 and was struggling getting things to taste nice (not bitter) and avoid channelling. My shots started nicely, then sped up half way through with the 16g basket.

First thing I did was buying a bottomless portafilter to see how my shots look like during extraction (I went with the one from Edesia Espresso, but there are others and most come with a triple filter as well: JetBlack, Baristasupplies/-warehouse...).

With the bottomless PF in, I spend some time playing around with an old bag of beans changing the grind (finer/coarser) and the dosage and found most of the times I still got some channelling (no single stream) despite the pour going slower/faster.

So I played around with my technique, which is ended up quite different to what I do in the cafe I'm working at (commercial equipment works a bit better I guess).

1) Fill the portafilter
    First, I grind about 18g into the 16g PF (my scale isn't as accurate as yours). Less runs too fast with reasonable tamping (you can put your whole weight on it for it to work with less, but I'd rather not). More and the puck hits the shower screen which leaves a mess on it and results in mid-way channelling.

Second, I distribute the ground coffee with my fingers as good as possible in the basket to make it level (make sure it covers especially the edges!)

Third, I tap the filter on a towel (works fine with a bottomless) which I guess distributes the grounds more evenly in the filter and get's them off the sides (No tapping the tamper against the PF - I love my equipment without dints). Before I just set the tamper on top and let it sink in (and had channelling).
    The level is now below the ridge.

Next, I set the tamper on top of the ground coffee without any pressure. I use the Bezzera tamper, which is the same size as yours (58mm) and it leaves some grounds on the side if I don't do the tapping mentioned above (sometimes I brushed the 5mm or so from the edges, but the tapping works much better).

Then, I played around with a nutation tamp ("roll" tamper 360 on the edges - no twisting) which I think it helped to get an even pour.

Last, I tamp down and do some polishing twists to get a smooth surface.
    Little gound coffee up on the side of the basket, level a few mm below the ridge.

2) Pull the shot
    Before I put the PF into the group head, I flush for 10 seconds (or 120 ml).
    I wait a little bit before I finish my shot (tip the flushed water out of my measuring shot glass) and then finish my shot in the 30 sec, 30+ ml area.

My shots all tasted bitter if I didn't do the flush straight before the pull (did so before grinding for a while). Now my espresso tastes as expected, a creamy rich texture without any sour/bitter overtones.

You can read a lot about adjusting the machine's internal settings, which voids the warranty (adust the boiler pressure form around 1.2 to 1.35 by cracking the "glue" or open it up and lower the OPV from 11 to 9 - which is from what I read the setting for rotary pumps that most E61 machines come with, not the vibration pump used in the BZ10 - but I leave that to people with real knowledge to answer).

This routine made all the difference for me. I'm not saying this is the perfect way to go. However, everything I did before resulted in quite bad espresso and was ok at best for a latte.

So, I finally enjoy my BZ10!
    The espresso at the cafe I get my fresh coffee from still tastes better, but that might be due to me using a SmartGrinder on the finest setting it can do instead of a SuperJolly.

I hope that helps on your journey.

Quote Originally Posted by BLW View Post
    Hi Azzabee,
    I also upgraded just a bit over a month ago from a SB EM7000 to the BZ10 and was struggling getting things to taste nice (not bitter) and avoid channelling. My shots started nicely, then sped up half way through with the 16g basket.

First thing I did was buying a bottomless portafilter to see how my shots look like during extraction (I went with the one from Edesia Espresso, but there are others and most come with a triple filter as well: JetBlack, Baristasupplies/-warehouse...).

With the bottomless PF in, I spend some time playing around with an old bag of beans changing the grind (finer/coarser) and the dosage and found most of the times I still got some channelling (no single stream) despite the pour going slower/faster.

So I played around with my technique, which is ended up quite different to what I do in the cafe I'm working at (commercial equipment works a bit better I guess).

1) Fill the portafilter
    First, I grind about 18g into the 16g PF (my scale isn't as accurate as yours). Less runs too fast with reasonable tamping (you can put your whole weight on it for it to work with less, but I'd rather not). More and the puck hits the shower screen which leaves a mess on it and results in mid-way channelling.

Second, I distribute the ground coffee with my fingers as good as possible in the basket to make it level (make sure it covers especially the edges!)

Third, I tap the filter on a towel (works fine with a bottomless) which I guess distributes the grounds more evenly in the filter and get's them off the sides (No tapping the tamper against the PF - I love my equipment without dints). Before I just set the tamper on top and let it sink in (and had channelling).
    The level is now below the ridge.

Next, I set the tamper on top of the ground coffee without any pressure. I use the Bezzera tamper, which is the same size as yours (58mm) and it leaves some grounds on the side if I don't do the tapping mentioned above (sometimes I brushed the 5mm or so from the edges, but the tapping works much better).

Then, I played around with a nutation tamp ("roll" tamper 360 on the edges - no twisting) which I think it helped to get an even pour.

Last, I tamp down and do some polishing twists to get a smooth surface.
    Little gound coffee up on the side of the basket, level a few mm below the ridge.

2) Pull the shot
    Before I put the PF into the group head, I flush for 10 seconds (or 120 ml).
    I wait a little bit before I finish my shot (tip the flushed water out of my measuring shot glass) and then finish my shot in the 30 sec, 30+ ml area.

My shots all tasted bitter if I didn't do the flush straight before the pull (did so before grinding for a while). Now my espresso tastes as expected, a creamy rich texture without any sour/bitter overtones.

You can read a lot about adjusting the machine's internal settings, which voids the warranty (adust the boiler pressure form around 1.2 to 1.35 by cracking the "glue" or open it up and lower the OPV from 11 to 9 - which is from what I read the setting for rotary pumps that most E61 machines come with, not the vibration pump used in the BZ10 - but I leave that to people with real knowledge to answer).

This routine made all the difference for me. I'm not saying this is the perfect way to go. However, everything I did before resulted in quite bad espresso and was ok at best for a latte.

So, I finally enjoy my BZ10!
    The espresso at the cafe I get my fresh coffee from still tastes better, but that might be due to me using a SmartGrinder on the finest setting it can do instead of a SuperJolly.

I hope that helps on your journey.
    It is great to learn other peopleís experiences and find this machine can be challenging to work with when you start. After over 4 years of using this machine, I guess you develop a routine by which you settle in nicely to get the best results out of your kit, I would almost forget the learning curve I went through myself.

I read quite a few experiences of people with E61-based HX machines and specifically regarding temp management, peopleís routines that work for them vary widely. Some meticulously time their flushes, then time their recovery and then pull, others just flush and brew away. The beauty of the BZ10 I think is you can go about this flush routine fairly casually and you are always in the ball park or better. I tend to dose, flush, allow slight recovery while redistributing the grinds and then brew. I find that I can go about it similarly to how people do on a SB machine; flush just enough to start a heating cycle, let the boiler reach top of cycle while I redistribute and tamp and then pull the shot. Not saying this is the be-all end-all though.

Thanks for the detailed response BLW. I will try incorporate a cooling flush into the routine. I normally flush water into an empty cup before I grind, then distribute, tamp and pull the shot. It might be getting a little too hot in that time.

I recently bought a Pullman tamper at 58.63mm, and a OCD ripoff distributor. These have helped in getting more consistent results. I now realise how crap my technique was!

As far as dosing, Iíve started using a 21g basket that was supplied with my bottomless PF, and settled on 19.5g. The standard Bezzera 16g basket doesnít have holes all the way to the edge and I found my shots with this always had a little burnt flavour. The larger basket looks to be constructed better and is giving pleasing results.

More cooling shots on the way. Iím loving this machine, and the thought that it can get better!
    BLW likes this.

If you want to see how long it takes for the water to heat up just watch it coming out of the shower screen - you'll see the water all bubble up as it emerges from the screen, which indicates the super-heated water that's still liquid under pressure but above boiling temperature (i.e. the bubbles are the super-heated water reacting to ambient temperature/pressure). You'll then observe the water start to stream out without the bubbles, indicating that the water is now at correct temperature. So do a flush, and then follow it up at various intervals, say 30 seconds, 60 seconds, 90 seconds etc. That way you can find out where to it it into the routine!
    Azzabee likes this.

BLW

Iíve gone up and down the recommended dosage amounts and have settled on 18g for my 16g basket (according to the scales on my grinder). ...
    I just noticed that the BZ10 was changed a few times while skimming through the BZ10 diagrams. Some figures state different dates, including up to 31.12.11, 18.3.13, 1.4.13, 28.1.14, 31.11.15.

The most obvious change is the swap of the On/Off buttons to switches. By further look, there are 2 different double baskets listed, a 12g filter basket (5471021.01) and the 16g one (5471035) that came with my 2017 machine. No change dates here.

So quite possibly, early BZ10 owners who could fill their included double basket with only 14g might have a different one to the 16g basket the machine comes with now.

Before my BZ10 arrived, I read somewhere that the supplied steam tip was too powerfull (4 hole) and is best to be replaced. Although some BZ07 owners chimed into the discussion too, the diagrams again show that the steam tips listed up to 6.10.11 were a 4 hole (7305010) and/or (?) a 2 hole (7305013). Now it's a different terminal 2 hole (7305014).

Great to see that Bezzera introduces changes to improve the machines. However, it makes it harder to find the right info in forums for a specific topic (as seen with the don't overdose beyond 14g tip).
    Azzabee and zeezaw like this.

We can confirm all BZ10s now come with a two hole (1.5mm) tip.

I am glad to see happy BZ10 owners here. Its has been an underrated machine IMO.

The actively heated group head is a great feature that not many others have.

Current specifications listed here https://www.casaespresso.com.au/bezzera-bz10.html

Cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    Dimal, CoffeeHack and BLW like this.

BLW
    We can confirm all BZ10s now come with a two hole (1.5mm) tip.

I am glad to see happy BZ10 owners here. Its has been an underrated machine IMO.

The actively heated group head is a great feature that not many others have.

Current specifications listed here https://www.casaespresso.com.au/bezzera-bz10.html

Cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    The heated group head was probably the main reason why I chose the BZ10. And I'm glad I did!

I read many comments about how a timer on E61 machines can overcome the morning heat up times. However, I doubt I would be happy at all having to wait for 30+ minutes when I feel the need of a ristretto on one of those afternoons to get me going. Those 10-15 minutes are just the right time. Turn the machine on, get everything ready, stretch the legs and off you go.

It also takes up less bench space than some other machines and you can fit mugs as well (atm I pour into a 120ml shot glass while still learning).

Without having a comparison other than to a commercial machine in a cafe, I'm happy with my purchase - after the initial learning curve

Edit: I prefer the new-ish switches on the BZ10 as well Anthony. It looks quite funny seeing it with the chorme plated buttons
    Dimal and Casa Espresso like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2