Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By mulquemi
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 2 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By Javaphile

Thread: Bezzera Mini-bar espresso machine all assembled and working very well.

Bezzera Mini-bar espresso machine all assembled and working very well.

Bezzera MiniBar espresso machine...reassembled & working!
    Hello coffee lovers,
    Many thanks to magnafunk via "paid forward " machine in bits,I have had considerable joy reassembling this very early and very basic Bezzera machine.
    Initially the machine came to me neatly packed although without everything required.
    Missing parts were the pumping assembly (ULKA) vibration pump,no idea as to what capacity so the largest I had was a 68 watt.
    Provision for fitting was there,simply needed some fasteners,done.
    Previous owner indicated the boiler insides was unknown although confirmed the heating element was shot.
    I removed the remains of the heating element which had solidified silver brazing metal adhering to most of the bends,this I would believe was responsible for the element failure.
    A number of successful rewelded sections of the boiler end caps were carried out by someone associated with the machines earlier owner.
    These welds although successful also resulted in molten brazing metal flowing inside the boiler and damaging the heating element.
    Potentially this wouldn't have happened had the heat exchanger and heating element been removed during the welding process.(IMHO)
    The outcome is I have had several very smooth and tasty espresso,just lovely.
    Obviously I have replaced the heating element however,my research suggested I needed 1480 watt (240volt) not the supplied element which was 220volt 1300 watt.
    I'll just carry on with this element and see what happens anyway,heats to operating temperature in five minutes....very fast I thought.
    Another odd system of filling the boiler is to fit a blind filter and hold open the spring toggle lever while running the brew switch, bypass the group outlet and fills the boiler,no auto fill here!
    Boiler water level is operator dependant, miss the low water level and risk a cooked element! No low water level warning here, strictly a manual controlled and operated machine unlike all these modern machines these days.
    I confirmed the pressure relief valve was working correctly while adjusting the pressure stat to between 1-1.5 on the gauge, took a bit of winding to get the switch to finally open and the pressure relief was hissing away ready to pop.
    An amazing little pressure stat when compared to big commercial units.
    I see from a number of posts several current coffeesnobs have owned similar machines, one time or another,would appreciate some information regarding their experiences good or bad.
    IMG_20170107_164031.jpg
    IMG_20170107_172054.jpg
    Well another HX machine up and operating,these coffee machine restorations are so enjoyable.
    Cheer's,
    Mick.
    magnafunk, kyeba and LFM60 like this.

Great workhorses these...

Mine is a Rotary Pump version and currently in pieces waiting for me to gather enough enthusiasm to put it all back together, along with a few simple mod's...

Won't be selling mine off in a hurry though, produces wonderful coffee (when complete), as one would expect I guess...

Mal.
    LFM60 likes this.

Blooming heck, how old is that Bezzera? Must be a real workhorse!

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Mine is a Rotary Pump version and currently in pieces waiting for me to gather enough enthusiasm to put it all back together, along with a few simple mod's...
    At least you have the know-how, Mal. I can change a tyre, but when it comes to assembling/disassembling/reassembling espresso machines, I'm about as useful as nipples on a breastplate.

Mine is roughly 30 y.o. from what I could find out and was in great condition for the work it had obviously done...

Bezzera build 'em tough...

Mal.

They must do!

What model is your old girl, Mal? Somehow I can see you eventually ending up with a Strega (or are you strictly a no-nonsense pump man?).

Never had the chance to play with a Strega, but I'm led to believe they punch well above their weight.

Mine is roughly 30 y.o. from what I could find out and was in great condition for the work it had obviously done...

Bezzera build 'em tough...

Mal.
    On the subject of Bezzera Mal, that shop at the 'Gabba has 4 of them on eBay from yrs 2003 to 2006. Starting at about $1000 up to $1850 I think.

The 2006 has a rotary pump and no internal tank. Plumbed in only.

Do you think those year builds would be in the "build 'em tough" range?

Thanks for any opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by LFM60 View Post
    Do you think those year builds would be in the "build 'em tough" range?
    Definitely mate...

They are simply designed and ruggedly built, an ideal combination I reckon...

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by BalthazarG View Post
    What model is your old girl, Mal?
    Here's a link to the original thread when 'she' was acquired...
    Announcing new member of the Bezzera Club.

Quote Originally Posted by BalthazarG View Post
    Somehow I can see you eventually ending up with a Strega (or are you strictly a no-nonsense pump man?).
    I've had a couple of strokes over the years mate and attempting to use a (real) Lever machine is fraught with risk. The strength and dexterity of my hands and arms (especially the left) is just a bit too dodgy. Likely to knock myself out with the Lever slipping out of my hand or break the mechanism as it rockets towards the top travel limit.

Pump machines are safer, for me...

Mal.
    Yelta and BalthazarG like this.

Definitely mate...

They are simply designed and ruggedly built, an ideal combination I reckon...

Mal.
    Thanks Mal.

Just read through your post when you got yours. Very interesting.
    Are there any photos on here of the finished restoration?

Apologies to Mulquemi for taking this thread so far off course.

Back to the original post.............

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/attachment...107_172054.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by LFM60 View Post
    Thanks Mal.

Just read through your post when you got yours. Very interesting.
    Are there any photos on here of the finished restoration?
    Great workhorses these...

Won't be selling mine off in a hurry though, produces wonderful coffee (when complete), as one would expect I guess...

Mal.

Java "Piles O' Pieces" phile
    Dimal likes this.
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Oh yeah. Thanks Javaphile.
    Not thinking straight with no coffee yet............

Thanks LFM60,
    I'm learning a lot about these tiny Bezzera's now and your contributing to that knowledge base so keep going.
    My little basic machine is such a sweet thing,I'm now converted!
    Still keen to hear from more owners (& Ex owners) of these little beauties.
    More information I need ...more and thanks for the support.
    Cheers,
    Mick.
    PS: Mal, is your machine fitted with a stainless steel boiler or nickel plated copper? My oldie is copper through and through.
    Last edited by mulquemi; 10th January 2017 at 12:35 PM. Reason: More Thorough question!

Glad to see you got it going Mick, it would have been a shame to trash it

Quote Originally Posted by mulquemi View Post
    PS: Mal, is your machine fitted with a stainless steel boiler or nickel plated copper? My oldie is copper through and through.
    Nickel or Tin plated copper mate; suspect it is more likely the latter...

Mal.