• 1 Post By Stan
  • 3 Post By readeral
  • 2 Post By Stan
  • 4 Post By scho047
  • 2 Post By Stan
  • 1 Post By K_Bean_Coffee

Thread: New La Pavoni & Fausto

New La Pavoni & Fausto

Set up my new La Pavoni Cellini Premium from K-bean today after a recent trip to Melbourne. I paired it with a Rocket Fausto Grinder from 2muchcoffeman formally known as TC. Dialled in the grinder which took about 300gms of beans and only one phone call to TC . Thanks to K-bean for his help and espresso whilst we shop, and his example of how not to transfer hoppers from one grinder to another .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Stan; 14th January 2017 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Set up my new La Pavoni Cellini Premium from K-bean today after a recent trip to Melbourne. I paired it with a Rocket Fausto Grinder from 2muchcoffeguy formally known as TC. Dialled in the grinder which took about 300gms of beans and only one phone call to TC . Thanks to K-bean for his help and espresso whilst we shop, and his example of how not to transfer hoppers from one grinder to another .
    Very nice set up Stan, keep us informed as to how your getting on with it.
    K_Bean_Coffee and Stan like this.

I will. A small learning curve from the Musica (which is remaining in the family) but got a acceptable cup (not perfect) after several adjustments to the grinder.

Yes I know the photo is sideways

Nice kit! 👌
    Stan likes this.

Yes I know the photo is sideways
    You could correct it...

Mal.
    Stan likes this.

Click twice to get the big picture.

Very nice, by the way.

image.jpeg
    Stan likes this.

First impression - the Cellini certainly looks better than the Musica. The steam will be a learning curve due to the Cellini only having 2 holes in the steam wand compared to the Musica that had 4. I ended up with a lot of bubbles and less micro foam but there is plenty of pressure, I will just need to learn how to use it properly.

The espresso part was no problem just had to remember to watch the pour to stop it before blonding. Very easy. It as easy to use as would be most lever machines. It takes up slightly less space on the bench both the footprint and the height for which she who must be obeyed is very happy with. The Cellini and Fausto and both much quieter than the Musica and Mazzer Mini, which my neighbours will be happy with. The warm up time is slightly longer than the Musica. I haven't timed it but it would be about 10 minutes difference but I am retired so no problem.

Looks wise the Cellini has more bling and the Fausto is not much larger than the Mazzer. The grind on the Fausto is consistent and fluffy without clumping. Considering the humidity at the moment that is much better than the MM. The Fausto is taking about 11.6 seconds to grind a double in the precision basket (about20gms) so it is quicker than the Mazze which has been covered in other threads.

PS Ifixed the photo
    Dimal, Casa Espresso and LFM60 like this.

New La Pavoni & Fausto

Thanks to K-bean for his help and espresso whilst we shop, and his example of how not to transfer hoppers from one grinder to another .
    Didn't we agree that the little hopper accident was our secret Stan? It least you didn't get a pic of that
    Last edited by K_Bean_Coffee; 14th January 2017 at 10:12 AM.
    LFM60 likes this.

I didn't state exactly what happened I in fact stated you demonstrated how not to change hoppers
    LFM60 likes this.

I certainly did. ....so remember to close the grinder tab before removing the hopper, or you will get the mess I so kindly demonstrated to you.
    Magic_Matt, Stan and LFM60 like this.

Really interested in this machine!!!

Quote Originally Posted by scho047 View Post
    Give K_bean a ring. The Cellini certainly makes a great espresso. I am slowly but surely getting the milk foaming right. Easy to use. The vibe pump is much quieter than my Musica was.
    scho047 likes this.

Buy one then. Sort of kidding and sort of not Link for you to enjoy:
    https://www.kbean.com.au/espresso-ma...ium?rq=Cellini
    scho047 likes this.

Give K_bean a ring. The Cellini certainly makes a great espresso. I am slowly but surely getting the milk foaming right. Easy to use. The vibe pump is much quieter than my Musica was.
    I'm so glad you like it Stan.
    Cheers
    Magic_Matt likes this.

I could not resist and make an impulsive decision to get one of this beauty yesterday! I think my skills at coffee making needs a lot of brushing up as I am completely new to this. But I am amazed how what I would think a lot of CS members would call 'thats a terrible express' still tastes so much better than Nespresso which I had been having! (am getting better with the pressure and timing but coffee tends to be coming out rather too fast although the pressure at the time of brewing is around 9 - 10 bars; took me about 7 cups to get to this pressure.. and lots of buzzy heads!)

Bottom line, its looking great and the machine is awesome and I can't wait to get stuck into this new hobby of mine.

IMG_9138.jpgIMG_5091.jpg

I could not resist and make an impulsive decision to get one of this beauty yesterday!
    Now, for someone looking at Single Boiler machine 2 weeks ago you really have come a long way. Welcome to HX heaven

Have fun learning, don't forget when you think you have it right something will change and you start all over again.
    K_Bean_Coffee and scho047 like this.

Thought I would share my experience thus far (1.5 weeks of owning) with this amazing machine!

- making espresso is a dream and a joy to use with this beast even as a complete newbie; although I do need to keep practicing to get the consistency of espresso to be same/similar each time;
    - can't fault the machine albeit all the paper-trail saga behind (which I have learnt to come across) but that is not the point of comment nor does that affect how I use the machine to learn and experience new hobby of mine;
    - frothing milk is a bit tricky at first and only recently I am getting very thick consistent texture of true baristas and now have to learn the trick of pouring for latte art!
    - have learnt that using cheaper beans (or maybe an older beans) results in poor espresso where the pressure is low and comes out really fast and making the coffee to taste rather sour;

but am really happy with the machine so far and it does wonders for me and am sure it will for some time!

Fresh beans are best look up the home roasting section
    scho047 likes this.

Fresh beans are best look up the home roasting section
    We keep sayin it! and people keep tryin to convince us otherwise, ain't gonna happen.

- frothing milk is a bit tricky at first and only recently I am getting very thick consistent texture of true baristas and now have to learn the trick of pouring for latte art!
    Sorry to say, there ain't no trick!! Just practice upon practice.
    Magic_Matt, K_Bean_Coffee and Stan like this.

quick question....
    i have been using the machine as per my above thread... and it has been working really well. But i have noticed that when I am doing the backflush, the pressure is at 12 bar which has been where it was since the beginning. However when I put coffee into my pseudo 20g basket with correct dose and been tamping to the usual method and then start the brewing process, it only goes up to 4 bar. I had initially thought this was due to bad quality beans but when I switched it back to the good beans when I was getting good consistent 9 to 10bar whilst extracting, it was still at 4 bar (and therefore poor espresso).
    what am i doing wrong? or anything wrong with the machine?
    I have tested doing a blind extract and it was fine and went up to 12 bar again...... any tips?

It is probably the beans aging you need to adjust the grinder every couple of days to keep the same pour /pressure and you will need to adjust it again when changing beans
    K_Bean_Coffee and scho047 like this.

Looks great. What is the gauge attached to the group?

Have a look at koffeekosmo guide to frothing milk.

For latte art, I found this very good:

https://youtu.be/v4b7CZ7joUE

Cheers

[QUOTE=artman;601489]Looks great. What is the gauge attached to the group?

it is a proprietary (well for AUS models) brew pressure gauge that comes with. Which is rather handy.

Cool, never seen one before. Have seen retro fitted digital temp gauges there.

Should be quite accurate reading of brew pressure in that location.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by artman View Post
    Cool, never seen one before. Have seen retro fitted digital temp gauges there.

Should be quite accurate reading of brew pressure in that location.

Cheers
    It is like this as per Paul's description.
    https://www.kbean.com.au/espresso-ma...ellini-premium
    It sure is handy as a newbie!

I have realised that I was a complete newbie for sure! as I was going backwards with the grind setting.... and therefore what I thought was making the grind to be finer, was in fact making it coarser and hence low pressure and quick extract and sour tasting coffee!!!
    All has returned to normality and making great espressos again on my new shiny toy!

Lesson learnt - use good quality fresh beans and when swapping out the beans, grind and throw some out and before panic sets in, learn to check which way I need to turn the grind dials for finer grind or coarser for that matter!

Cheers

Don't worry to much after 10yrs I am still in learning phase and occasionally have a seniors moment when adjusting the grinder
    Dimal and scho047 like this.

....that explains it - Great news
    scho047 likes this.