• 2 Post By Smee
  • 2 Post By Magic_Matt
  • 1 Post By Logga
  • 1 Post By BalthazarG
  • 2 Post By tashie
  • 1 Post By BalthazarG

Thread: Is it worth doing

Is it worth doing

I'm tossing up selling the TCI Giove. No real reason, I really do love it but I thought I might get a better resale value in Sri Lanka and would be able to put that towards another machine. I'm not sure it's worth doing and thought I might get some opinions from those who know better than me.

How much would a 6 year old Giove sell for in Australia? I don't think they're being sold anymore and I'm not sure what they cost new.
    How long does my machine have left in it - will it last another 5 or 10 years? I'm not sure what the wear and tear is on these. The switch gave in a while back and I had the pump replaced, just because, but will it need major work over the next few years?

I love the PID control and dual boiler on the Giove and would want both these functionalities on any future machine purchase. The only down side is that it can't be plumbed in, and the pump can be a tad noisy when it kicks in.

In my mind, I'd get a bit under $2000 for the Giove (maybe more here in Lanka) and still have to spend $1000+ for a machine that would be a bit quieter and have the ability to be plumbed in.

I'd think if you managed $1.0 to an absolute max of $1.5k here depending on condition, you'd be doing really well...

Probably looking at an R58 or a Profitec 700 - but willing to consider anything with a dual boiler, PID, ability to be plumbed and a quieter pump. Not keen on the Izzo though, I just don't love the look.
    kbc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by K_Bean_Coffee View Post
    ...I'll eat my hat
    Now that I'd like to see!

I'd suspect that Tash will struggle to see either of them in the metal anywhere close to where she lives.
    tashie and BalthazarG like this.

It will be my tortilla hat of course
    Love that scene....
    kbc and tashie like this.

It will be my tortilla hat of course
    Thought it might be this hat..........

Looking dapper there, KB

IMG_0634.JPG
    Magic_Matt, kbc and Smee like this.

Apprentice Coffee snob
    Quote Originally Posted by tashie View Post
    Probably looking at an R58 or a Profitec 700 - but willing to consider anything with a dual boiler, PID, ability to be plumbed and a quieter pump. Not keen on the Izzo though, I just don't love the look.
    If you like the pro700, take a look at ECM Synchronika, well worth a look imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Smee View Post
    If you like the pro700, take a look at ECM Synchronika, well worth a look imo.
    Abso-freakin-lutely! 💯😀✌
    Smee likes this.

Apprentice Coffee snob
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Matt View Post
    Abso-freakin-lutely! ✌

I want to know if Paul will still eat his hat if Sashie buys a Sychronika over a R58?
    Magic_Matt and BalthazarG like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smee View Post
    I want to know if Paul will still eat his hat if Sashie buys a Sychronika over a R58?
    Frankly, I'd be amazed if he has any hats left! 😉
    matth3wh and BalthazarG like this.

[QUOTE=K_Bean_Coffee;598159]. If you choose the R58 I'll eat my hat

Would that be because you don't sell the R58? My R60 hands down better looking than that other one, what's it name again.
    BalthazarG likes this.

[QUOTE=Logga;598205]
    . If you choose the R58 I'll eat my hat

Would that be because you don't sell the R58? My R60 hands down better looking than that other one, what's it name again.
    Poor guy's trying to make a crust and you're all making him buy another hat just so he can have it for lunch.

Hi Tashie. In terms of performance capability, it'd be swings and roundabouts between the R58 and the Pro 700. Which means you just choose the model you prefer the look of (http://gakumix.com/blog/wp-content/u...2.01.37-PM.png).

tashie likes this.

CS is always good for a laugh! To be honest, I'd be pretty happy to keep eating my hats if they're all tortilla hats. Do they come with guac?

Is it worth doing though? I'm not sure what the RRP for my current Giove is, or what I'd get for it secondhand (I think we all got a bit distracted)...
    Smee and BalthazarG like this.

I try and keep the humour cranking, Tashie! But there's lots of other fine folk here who do a mighty fine job in that regard. I think it's very important, because on forums such as this things can (and often do) slide into dreary, torturous discussions related to technical minutiae (https://media1.giphy.com/media/xT1XG...pb9K/200_s.gif). Yeah, that's right - for crying out loud!

In my not-so-experienced-armchair-expert's opinion, the best thing you can go (given your situation) is to put your Glove in for a technical inspection and touch-up (depending on the cost, of course, and if it that's even a possiblity in Sri Lanka).

If you do manage to get it serviced, you could then possibly sell it as a 'used but recently refurbished' item, which means despite its history and tyre tread, you can confidently say to prospective buyers that it's performing more or less like a new unit. And even if it isn't, tell them that anyway.

Despite asserting that you have "no real reason" to sell the Glove, having read your post it does sound like you're just gunning for something fresh and shiny regardless - and why not?? I've been going through the same thought process myself recently, and am still sorely tempted to replace my family and upgrade 'em.

You won't have a problem having both a PID and dual boiler in the same machine, because a) practically all dual boilers have PID on them anyway, and b) many of them can be plumbed.

Now, you want to know what price you can sell your Giove for. My answer is this - whatever someone is prepared to pay for it. I'd put it up for sale on Ebay. And if you don't have the option of shipping it (or else can't be bothered), mark the sale exclusively as "local-pickup", and take pot luck.

I hope my advice helps you in some way, and doesn't just hang in the air like arse acoustics. Perhaps other CS members can elaborate/improve upon my suggestions.
    Last edited by BalthazarG; 19th January 2017 at 01:29 AM.
    tashie likes this.

Thanks BalthazarG! All good points. The market will pay what it will.

Speaking of shiny things, I see @danebuoy has posted a shiny thing in the for sale section - conveniently in the city that we will be returning to...