Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 2 Post By Mb21
  • 2 Post By Chris
  • 2 Post By Chris
  • 2 Post By trentski

Thread: NS oscar 2 or second hand VBM Domobar Junior

NS oscar 2 or second hand VBM Domobar Junior

Okay so sold my Sunbeam 6910 to fund a better machine now I'm certain I'm enjoying making coffee each morning and generally it just two of us.

we are all milk drinkers so a double boiler or HX is what I thought would be the best avenue to go down and further to that want something with a small footprint (30cm or under preferably).

looked at the NS oscar 2 as the new model looks nice but also looked at second hand VBM Domobar junior.

what as people's thoughts on Mew Oscar 2 or 2nd hand VBM jr or similar? Does the step up in machine make that big of a difference and worth the possible issues of buying semiconductor hand?

Either machine will do what you want and give you something to make you tasty coffees.

Do you want to spend the extra $$$ for the Dom Jnr?
    W D H 22.5 x 40 x 35 cm

Build quality on the Dom Jnr is likely a reasonable amount better and you also get e61 group head. You're paying for that extra metal too.

Oscar 2 bigger boiler. Chat to Casa Espresso sites sponsors about them.
    Width 300mm
    Depth:400mm
    Height:408mm

I'd be interested to see some scace/temp stability testing on Oscar ii. Design likely makes for quicker warm up than the Dom Jnr.

Oscar ii looks fairly well laid out inside. But yes, more plastics around outside to save on cost. Plus is the element looks like it can be replaced without pulling out the entire boiler. Not as sturdy as VBM Dom Jnr. Oscar ii has the control board for activating pump. I believe this is timed and not volumetric but could be wrong on that point. Control board seems open to the elements inside which could effect long term life of that component.

What's your budget and which capital city nearest to you?

Check them out in person if you can at one of the site sponsors.

Good luck MB21.

Quote Originally Posted by matth3wh View Post
    Oscar ii looks fairly well laid out inside. But yes, more plastics around outside to save on cost. Plus is the element looks like it can be replaced without pulling out the entire boiler. Not as sturdy as VBM Dom Jnr. Oscar ii has the control board for activating pump. I believe this is timed and not volumetric but could be wrong on that point. Control board seems open to the elements inside which could effect long term life of that component.

What's your budget and which capital city nearest to you?

Check them out in person if you can at one of the site sponsors.

Good luck MB21.
    Hi matt,

Yes the Oscar II still has some plastic components, the back and top are still plastic but the front and sides are full stainless. It really is a hybrid between the old Oscar and the Musica.

The element can be removed without taking out the boiler. The side panels come off allowing easy access.

The control board is mounted up high so away from any potential moisture. About as well protected as any control board can be in a hot box.

Big plus is a anti vac valve that the old Oscar didn't have, so its good to go on a timer now.

At sub $1500 its a great buy and in my mind it suits people upgrading from a Breville/Sunbeam that want an Italian built machine.

Cheers

Antony
    Dimal, matth3wh and K_Bean_Coffee like this.

Thanks for your replies Matt and Anthony, good to see I'm on the right track now just to find the $$$
    Casa Espresso and matth3wh like this.

VBM Jnr in classifieds at moment
    I got one from Cafe Aroma - very satisfied

Just putting it out there - with all these smaller machines the quality an ability of the grinder is foremost. I'd spend less on the machine if it let me spend more on the grinder.
    aussieflicker and LFM60 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Just putting it out there - with all these smaller machines the quality an ability of the grinder is foremost. I'd spend less on the machine if it let me spend more on the grinder.
    Hi Chris is it's the smaller type machine of simply the quality of the machines being discussed that requires a quality grinder?

ive currently got a Breville smart grinder how would the out with a NS Oscar 2? Would I notice much of improvement if got say a Mazzaar Mini?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mb21 View Post
    ive currently got a Breville smart grinder how would the out with a NS Oscar 2? Would I notice much of improvement if got say a Mazzaar Mini?
    An upgrade from the Breville would definitely be worthwhile. Take a look at the Macap M2M and Quamar Q50P.
    Cheers, Paul

Just my experience but I've found smaller machines like the Oscar whilst capable of very good coffee need fine grind adjustment to make them consistently good. Sometimes you get lucky but often the cheaper grinders just don't have that fine adjustment needed. The Smart Grinder is a good grinder but the flex in the burr carriers prevents really good control. I have one and one click gives me a choice of 25 sec extraction or 35 sec extraction. It's just not tight enough. You then start chasing your tail with a bit more dose or tamping a bit harder etc etc and before you know it making a coffee is a major exercise.

By all means start with the Brev but be prepared to save your sanity and look at grinders like Paul suggests.
    matth3wh and K_Bean_Coffee like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mb21 View Post
    Would I notice much of improvement if got say a Mazzaar Mini?
    thanks
    You would see some improvement. Mazzer mini was yesterday's choice. There are better grinders out there for less now.
    matth3wh and K_Bean_Coffee like this.