Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: silly question here... "how do you start up (warm up) your HX machine in morning???

Quote Originally Posted by Casa Espresso View Post
    Blend52,

The question was how to speed up the warm up process of the E61 group head in a HX machine.

The BZ10 was put up as an option of heating up faster, it can do this as it has cartridge heaters in the group head.
    Sure, but It was obvious that the OP is unfamiliar with HX m/cs ( hence the question) , so i wanted to clarify some of the basic pro/cons differences between those particular group heads. ..hence the pre-infusion, and heat stability comments...
    The trade offs for a faster heat up time..

Quote Originally Posted by Casa Espresso View Post
    What PID control system are you referring to? The BZ10 doesn't have a factory PID system.

The system we are talking about here is my own Australian modification that connects DIRECTLY to the cartridge heaters in the GROUP so it does DIRECTLY AFFECT THE SHOT TEMPERATURE. This is the same system we fit to the Bezzera Strega with great results......
    Bezzera do offer a PiD option on some of their m/cs ...(though apparently not on the BZ10?), and i admit i was thinking of the BZ07 when i wrote the comment , .. So my comments were refering to the standard BZ10 group head that most buyers will be comparing to.
    You obviously acknowlege the issues with the "standard" Bezzera heated group, and i support your modification ...(i even considered doing it on my own BZ10 some years ago) , but most newbie buyers wont be aware of the issues or of the possible solution

i think we all know that heat up time is a non issue in reality and the group heaters were not intended to solve that non problem

I find my machine is good to go after 15 mins. Have never bothered with a timer. First person to get up in the morning turns it on.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeine View Post
    I find my machine is good to go after 15 mins. Have never bothered with a timer. First person to get up in the morning turns it on.
    We'd need you to tell us what machine you have, 15 mins for one machine is totally different for another.
    Dimal and Magic_Matt like this.

Quote Originally Posted by readeral View Post
    I use wemo insight. Rigged it with a bit of magic (IFTTT, google sheets, JavaScript) to tell me when it's at temperature. It's perfect.

Jbrewster - does the pump have to kick in first thing each time? I usually flick on my machine before going to bed so I know the boiler is full ready for it to heat of a morning.
    This is such a good idea! My machine is a tad on the loud* side when filling the boilers, which often happens when the WeMo kicks in 15 minutes before my alarm goes off...

Added a rule to switch on each evening for 20 minutes and it's also ready to steam milk for a bedtime chai. Win/win!

* everything's relative I guess - the rotary is whisper quiet under load.

mjs
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Matt View Post
    Same here - makes perfect sense to me to have the machine ready to go when I wake up.

I also used to join a few road cycling groups, often meant leaving around 5.30 am. I'd be out the door within 10 minutes of getting out of bed, so no time for a machine to warm up if switched on manually.

Belkin WeMo does the trick nicely. If I wake up early, I can even switch it on before the scheduled time without getting out of bed
    +1 for wifi enabled power switches, Belkin or any number of Chinese variants. I have one, it's great to program power on at any time you want. You can start the warm-up process any time you like before you physically get to the machine.
    Magic_Matt and matth3wh like this.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Obviously a wi-fi enabled power switch does the trick, but you can set mulitple programs on pretty much any timed power switch.

True but then how can the .CN and Ukranian hackers turn on your espresso machine for you Barry?

Magic_Matt likes this.

I have decided and gone down the path of digital timer switch rather then full digital wifi stuff. As WEMO or others alike were all too big and chunky and plus it was an overkill for what I was needing. And the digital one does everything I wanted - 7 day plans and just works and only costed me $20 or less!
    Dimal likes this.

Plenty of value to having a Wemo, but entirely unnecessary for 80% of users. For me, it's brilliant.
    Dimal and Magic_Matt like this.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matth3wh View Post
    True but then how can the .CN and Ukranian hackers turn on your espresso machine for you Barry?

He he. For the past 2 yrs, I've actually had an unopened wifi power timer in the cupboard. While waiting for it to arrive, I set up one of my only manual ones and haven't yet been bothered setting up the flash one. I'll do it one day.....probably more convenient than using gadget arms to get the existing timer out from behind the Quickmill if I have to adjust the settings (i.e. when there's a blackout).
    matth3wh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by matth3wh View Post

I'd be more concerned about terrorists turning it off!!!
    matth3wh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by readeral View Post
    Plenty of value to having a Wemo, but entirely unnecessary for 80% of users. For me, it's brilliant.
    Your ittt post keeps tempting me to upgrade to the power sensor model, Al... Was thinking this morning it would also be handy to have a "not heating" alert for when the low water sensor kicks in and it doesn't heat of a morning...

(though my new rule to cycle the power in the evening has largely taken care if that concern - plus it's one more justification to plumb in )

(sorry for the double post - the forum software won't let me edit as its automatic edit to the post title pushes it over the maximum character count...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2