Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By readeral
  • 3 Post By steve7
  • 1 Post By readeral

Thread: Ecm technika iv profi dose weight

Ecm technika iv profi dose weight

Hi all,
    I'm chasing a base dose weight to start working from for the ecm technika iv profi for the single and double baskets. My baskets are the original ones that come with the.machime. Thanks

18g in the double. If you measure output, ~60ml or 30-36g output in about 25-27 seconds (if you've got the rotary profi). This is your ballpark starting point but taste is your guide from then on. Put the single basket in the drawer.
    larryd, RavenMad, trentski and 2 others like this.

If you want to persist with the single and not put it in the draw, I have got a reasonable taste for a cap with 11 grams and 27 to 30 seconds for a 30 gram output. But make sure the grounds are not pressing up against the screen - check the 5 cent piece test.

The double is certainly easier to work with.
    Dimal, kbc and readeral like this.

Thanks guys.
    Yes Readeral, I have the rotary pump tecnika.
    So no one uses the single basket!? (Pardon my ignorance)
    So far I've been using it with 14gr base weight... I must say this my first ever machine so lack of experiance is there plus i live remotely so haven't had a chance to got taken through it thouroughly by someone who knows what he/she's doing...

Single dose basket can just be difficult, so less recommended for those starting out. steve7 is right, it can be used for a reasonable cup, but requires a little more care.

14gr is what the manual says the basket size is (look in the list of included parts) but only nominally, as it functions better in the 17-18.5g range in my experience.

The reason why you're not necessarily looking for the 30 second range with the rotary, is it's at full pressure as soon as that lever is engaged.
    steve7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by readeral View Post
    Single dose basket can just be difficult, so less recommended for those starting out. steve7 is right, it can be used for a reasonable cup, but requires a little more care.

14gr is what the manual says the basket size is (look in the list of included parts) but only nominally, as it functions better in the 17-18.5g range in my experience.

The reason why you're not necessarily looking for the 30 second range with the rotary, is it's at full pressure as soon as that lever is engaged.
    They must have changed their manual/methods. Here is an extract of mine:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Go to the end of the manual in English and find the parts list, as far as I know it says 14g for the larger basket.

Their website says the double is 14 grams. It does not mention that figure in my manual, but as readeral says, the double is better in the 17-18 grams range, so you can drink double dose/shots, share a coffee, or throw one out (or make coffee flavoured ice cream).

BTW benissimmo, I assume you are putting the 14 grams into the double, not the single? Otherwise the coffee will be forced up into the shower/water screen and could damage you machine. I have found 12 grams will fit in the single with a firm tamp.... but it probably has less than 1mm clearance below the screen, so when the grinds swell with the water, it is probably putting pressure on the screen. Slightly less would be safer.

While I can get a reasonable taste out of the single with around 11 grams, 14 grams in the double does give much more (too much?) flavour for a single shot. Two coffees from the double with 18 grams just seems to taste nicer (to me).

Thanks guys, I've tinkered a little over the weekend and am using the double basket now. I indeed get a better taste. I also ordered an 18gr VST basket

Get your doubles perfected but don't give up on singles. I hate wasting good beans. I persisted and now I'm producing good singles regularly. I actually use about 13 gms for an output of 20 gms in 25 to 30 seconds. This gives me more of a ristretto type drink which suits my taste buds and taste is the ultimate deciding factor.

Im finding my single baskets are my preference. I tightly pack it in to achieve the slow pour. When I dont do that it runs fast with poorer crema.