Thread: Fabricating replacement copper tubing

Fabricating replacement copper tubing

My brasilia has a number of leaks which on closer observation seem to be caused by splitting of the flared ends of the copper tubes within the fittings. I'd guess from a combination of insufficient annealing & overtightening.
    Is there any reason I can't fabricate replacements? I looked at pipe flaring kits and they're not expensive, pipe benders likewise.
    one thing I'm unsure about is whether the flares should be 37 or 45 degrees; anyone know?
    Where would one source the appropriate tubing?
    Am I missing something?

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

The alternative would be to contact the bean alliance in Melbourne. They are the importers and should be able to assist with bits.

Cheers

2mcm

Quote Originally Posted by duncanbourne View Post
    one thing I'm unsure about is whether the flares should be 37 or 45 degrees; anyone know?
    Where would one source the appropriate tubing?
    For the angle, measure the flares they mate with using an angle gauge.

Getting appropriate sized tubing will likely be the most difficult part, best bet is to see if you can make friends with a local HVAC/Refrigeration mob so you can go rifling their scrap bins (or you could buy 30m pancake coils in the necessary size(s) ).

Pre-fab tubing assemblies may actually be cheaper in the end (especially if you factor in your time).

"(or you could buy 30m pancake coils in the necessary size(s) )."
    Anyone need 27.5m of copper tube?
    "Pre-fab tubing assemblies may actually be cheaper in the end (especially if you factor in your time)."
    You're right of course, but I'm thrilled that these are easy to make, unlike others I've encountered that had to have ends soldered or crimped on, and hey, I learn a new skill & get a few more tools to take up space in the shed.

My experience FWIW is pre-fab units are around $30 each. I need 4, so I have a bit of a budget to work with before it gets unviable.