Thread: So many options it's confusing

So many options it's confusing

Hi everyone, this is my first post so sorry if I sound dumb regarding buying a new machine.
    the more information I find the more confused I'm getting, I'm after an easy to use machine willing to pay about $1500 .... Any advise or suggestions ? I have previously had a small sunbeam and a small breville.

Have you got a reasonable grinder, if you don't have a grinder you will have to factor that into how much you spend on a machine.

Yes I have a grinder

What sort of coffee will you be making most of the time?
    Do you need to do milk and shot at the same time?
    What grinder do you have?

With the figure you mention, I gather you are looking at entry level HX machines.
    Nuova Simonelli Oscar gets good press.
    Expobar Office Semi-Auto would also do a good job.

It would be beneficial if you could get to a sponsor showroom and get your hands on a few to see what feels good for you.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy_1999 View Post
    What sort of coffee will you be making most of the time?
    Do you need to do milk and shot at the same time?
    What grinder do you have?

With the figure you mention, I gather you are looking at entry level HX machines.
    Nuova Simonelli Oscar gets good press.
    Expobar Office Semi-Auto would also do a good job.

It would be beneficial if you could get to a sponsor showroom and get your hands on a few to see what feels good for you.

Good luck.
    Two criteria to consider are:
    1) what sort of drink will you mostly make?
    2) usage pattern; how often will you pull a shot and how many in succession (do you frequently have latte-loving guests to entertain or not?)

For low volume, one shot at the time usage a Single Boiler Dual Use machine may be sufficiŽnt, certainly If you are into espresso only. For milk steaming though you have to switch temperature setting (brew to steam before and vice versa after steaming). For temperature consistency a PID will be of added value here. I'm thinking Bezzera Unica.

If you don't want the hassle of switching between temperatures, indeed an entry level Heat exchanger machine like the two already mentioned will do the trick just fine and will be better suitable for entertaining a few guests as well.

Note that "easy to use" only goes so far. You still need a capable grinder and know how to adjust it in combination with knowing how to dose and distribute consistently. In general, spending more money buys you a machine that is more forgiving towards you being less consistent.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amandajayne View Post
    Yes I have a grinder

What make/model grinder is it? This has a big impact on what you'd ideally do next.

...and if you have not already done a coffee making training course, factor in $150 for that also.
    That will improve your coffee much more than any new machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Amandajayne View Post
    Hi everyone, this is my first post so sorry if I sound dumb regarding buying a new machine.
    the more information I find the more confused I'm getting, I'm after an easy to use machine willing to pay about $1500 .... Any advise or suggestions ? I have previously had a small sunbeam and a small breville.
    Depends what type of coffee you want to make. I'm assuming it would be a milk coffee. My journey with coffee started out with a crappy saeco auto machine ($200) I bought second hand. Lasted 2 months before breaking down. Then I wanted to have more control but I still knew nothing about coffee so I bought a breville machine with a grinder on top ($800)This gave me a little bit more control but once I learned more about making coffee I wanted more control so my next machine was Giotto Rocket with a Compak K3 touch ($1000)This gave me what I needed at the time but then I wanted more control out of a machine and also then learnt about how grinder blades work so then bought La Marzocco linea mini ($4000) and a Mazzer Kony ($1000) having a dual boiler is great it gives me control setting the coffee boiler at different temps depending what coffee I'm using. The conical burrs in a Kony grinder slices the beans rather than crushing the beans when using flat burrs. My journey is still going my next buy either a GS3 or Slayer and undecided with grinder maybe an ek43 or mythos one. But enough about me I would suggest the below breville. It will give you a bit more control being a dual boiler in your price range and the grinder is quite good to do both espresso and filter.