Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 1 Post By Stan
  • 2 Post By readeral
  • 1 Post By K_Bean_Coffee
  • 3 Post By dumiya

Thread: Pesado Shower screen and basket on La Pavoni Cellini question....

Pesado Shower screen and basket on La Pavoni Cellini question....

Hi all,

I am not too sure if this is the right section to be asking this question for some advise. I have been using Pesado's E61 shower screen with Pesado filter basket on my La Pavoni Cellini. The result of coffee I get from this is far superior than of what I was getting on the proprietary shower screen that came with the machine. However, whenever I try to take the portafilter out from the machine (after it has been engaged in the grouphead whilst the machine warms up) the filter basket tends to get stuck to the shower screen and only the portafliter would come away. And I would have to use clothes/towel to take it off from the grouphead.
    Last night, when I was trying to remove the basket off to make a cup of coffee, the whole shower screen together with the rubber gasket came off. Sure it was easy enough to put back and actually allowed me to give it a clean at the same time but want to check with you all coffee wise snobs if this is ok or normal thing.

Any idea what may be causing this? Mind you this does not happen straight after coffee has been extracted or if the portafilter has been put back after cleaning for later use. It tends to do this only when it has been left to sit there for sometime.

Now is it a common thing that as a newbie, I am not aware of.... or is it something that I should be worried about?

Lastly, when I have used the Pesado basket with the shower screen that came with the machine (i.e. La Pavoni Cellini's screen) I had no issues whatsoever as I had the basket from the beginning.

Thanks!

Hi Sho,

it is almost impossible for the filter basket to come out of group handle in this manner normally. There should be a retaining spring in the group handle that holds the basket in place. When changing baskets you need to make sure that your retaining spring is still in the basket and that it "clicks" into place.

cheers

Antony
    scho047 likes this.

I have the same setup and have not had any problem. Check the Portafilter spring you may need a stronger spring
    scho047 likes this.

appreciate your comments Anthony and Stan!

My thoughts were exactly the same that it should not come off..... and what I have noticed between the proprietary basket from LP is that it has a slot/groove/bump for the spring to go past it and allows for that 'click' and lock in the basket. However the Pesado one (26 PSD basket) has no bump/groove/slot for that click and it is just smooth. So my guess would be that perhaps the spring could do with tighter fit if I do want to use the Pesado basket? which I love..... hmmmmmmm

Don't lock the portafilter in hard when done for the day - leave it a little loose, will preserve the gasket and hopefully stop this happening after the heat up cycle. When it's time for gasket replacement, get a silicone one instead.
    Dimal and scho047 like this.

Hi Sho,
    You're correct re that clip. A stiffer clip will fix it.
    Al is also correct. Don't twist it in too hard and I'm sure it won't happen again.
    Cheers, Paul
    scho047 likes this.

We always leave the portafilter off the machine and replace it when the machine is turned on. It seems to allow the gasket to relax so forms a good seal without having to tighten the handle very much. Just something we do on both our machines. It works for us.
    Dimal, Magic_Matt and scho047 like this.