• 1 Post By matth3wh
  • 1 Post By MarkMarynaBris
  • 1 Post By matth3wh
  • 2 Post By mulquemi
  • 2 Post By MarkMarynaBris

Thread: Bezzera BZ02

Bezzera BZ02

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and just bought my first Bezzera,
    I paid $400 two weeks ago which I've recently found out is quite a good deal
    It's working very well I just need some advice on how to get the best out of it
    Dimal and matth3wh like this.

I'm having trouble getting good crema from my coffee, I'm letting it warm up for approx 10mins maybe this this not quite long enough

Mark & Maryn,
    Top machine ,in my opinion....how did you get it so cheap?
    Poor crema production would suggest some possibilities:Not ground fine enough ,or not tempted firm enough,insufficient basket filling (5 cent rule!).
    One suggestion (presuming you have a suitable grinder) is to grind your beans fine enough to choke the flow/brew altogether then back off the fine grind to something that will flow through together with wonderful crema.
    Good brewing is always lots of playing around with the settings,good luck.
    I have a extremely old Bezzera with similar operational proformance and it heats in just five minutes,super clean inside though.
    Mick.
    Last edited by mulquemi; 20th March 2017 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Additional info
    Dimal and MarkMarynaBris like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMarynaBris View Post
    I'm having trouble getting good crema from my coffee, I'm letting it warm up for approx 10mins maybe this this not quite long enough
    In your case, How many grams in your basket? How many grams came out and for how long in seconds?
    MarkMarynaBris likes this.

First question people will ask is, what beans are you using, are they roasted within 1-3 weeks?

As this could be the problem if you're using old beans you won't get good or any crema.

Quote Originally Posted by kyeba View Post
    First question people will ask is, what beans are you using, are they roasted within 1-3 weeks?

As this could be the problem if you're using old beans you won't get good or any crema.
    Ah this might be part of the problem, I used vittoria beans from Coles, I'll get some quality ones and make sure they're about a week old

Quote Originally Posted by doody21 View Post
    In your case, How many grams in your basket? How many grams came out and for how long in seconds?
    This I'm unsure of but once home I'll find out exactly

Bezzera BZ02

Hi Mark Maryna

I used to own one of these machines. Would certainly help to get it checked out.

Luckily you have the Bezzera factory/repair centre in Brisbane (Gabba) to check it over.

You can definitely get some good shots out of these machines but 1) have to keep coffee dose weight in basket down (or use a "naked"/cutaway group handle)

2) need a decent grinder and decent beans to go with it.

Where abouts are you based (in Bris)?

Some useful upgrades for that machine are: * 2 or 3 tip steam hole to reduce the steaming speed a little. * Fully articulated steam arm (to let you move it around more easily in more directions).

Quote Originally Posted by mulquemi View Post
    Mark & Maryn,
    Top machine ,in my opinion....how did you get it so cheap?
    Poor crema production would suggest some possibilities:Not ground fine enough ,or not tempted firm enough,insufficient basket filling (5 cent rule!).
    One suggestion (presuming you have a suitable grinder) is to grind your beans fine enough to choke the flow/brew altogether then back off the fine grind to something that will flow through together with wonderful crema.
    Good brewing is always lots of playing around with the settings,good luck.
    I have a extremely old Bezzera with similar operational proformance and it heats in just five minutes,super clean inside though.
    Mick.
    Yes I got it on gumtree in Brissy, they originally wanted $495 I offered them $400 and they accepted,
    He said the machine was serviced once a year but as always it's hard to know if this was the case.
    My wife is using it now as I'm away working and seems to be finding it difficult to get right, I might drop it off for a service also to make sure all is operating 100% then try your ideas to get the best from it
    Also my grinder is a Breville smart would this be sufficient for it?
    matth3wh likes this.

The Breville smart grinder should do the job for you. These machines last a long time 12-15 years often surviving neglect. Best wishes with yours

Hello again,
    One of my burr grinder is the smart grinder like yours,I think they are wonderful little machines,mine seems to just work so well and all of the time.
    For my work's staff room machines,I don't hesitate.....nothing except Aldi beans!!!,most people have little to say about Aldi beans but scorn!However the price ( despite what some would think ) these beans do produce a great coffee,we go through a power of bags of beans,tea/coffee fund is always a little wanting cash wise so cheap is good.
    Presently our staff room has a single group Bezzera and a single group "beach" Simonelli,both HX machines that simply draw from plastic 20 litre containers as these machines are meant to be plumbed in.
    Your Bezzera may do better with having a service although I reckon once you sort out the setting/technique you will achieve much improvement.
    My coffee grounds pop out as a firm biscuit with just a tap of the group handle into the waste,always with a faint imprint of the screw head (shower screen retaining screw), not sloppy nor too dry.This is one indication that my technique is correct,the other being a thick honey flow with good cream.
    Perservere with adjusting your technique with attention to grind grain size,basket content quantity and tampering pressure,once you are getting close I'm confident you will see an improvement.
    Do purchase some freshly cooked beans,such a great step forward albeit with consistent technique,takes practice to get these great shots,with your beaut machine,you're almost there.
    cheers,
    Mick.
    Dimal and MarkMarynaBris like this.

Quote Originally Posted by matth3wh View Post
    Hi Mark Maryna

I used to own one of these machines. Would certainly help to get it checked out.

Luckily you have the Bezzera factory/repair centre in Brisbane (Gabba) to check it over.

You can definitely get some good shots out of these machines but 1) have to keep coffee dose weight in basket down (or use a "naked"/cutaway group handle)

2) need a decent grinder and decent beans to go with it.

Where abouts are you based (in Bris)?
    We're in Albany Creek, yes I've heard of the service shop at the Gabba
    Thanks for the info Matt

Some useful upgrades for that machine are: * 2 or 3 tip steam hole to reduce the steaming speed a little. * Fully articulated steam arm (to let you move it around more easily in more directions).
    Hi Matt,

Do you know a place online I can buy these upgrades as I'm keen to get them

Thanks

Bezzera BZ02

If you are handy and not afraid to pull panels and things off your machine and can do it yourself then contact Ofra / Renzo at Di Bartoli - very helpful and friendly CoffeeSnobs site sponsors. They'll get you the parts.

If you'd rather have someone do it then the local Bezzera centre might be the better option for you.

Bezzera BZ02

Di Bartoli Home Barista Centre

Phone during trading hours: 02 9389 9892

PM them here via CS or via Facebook.

Equipment Sales: sales@dibartoli.com.au

Technical Support: service@dibartoli.com.au

The Bezzera factory / repair centre in Brisbane can also mail out parts.

If you are handy and not afraid to pull panels and things off your machine and can do it yourself then contact Ofra / Renzo at Di Bartoli - very helpful and friendly CoffeeSnobs site sponsors. They'll get you the parts.

If you'd rather have someone do it then the local Bezzera centre might be the better option for you.
    Hi Matt, thanks for the info,

Di Bartoli have been very helpful at getting my machine running much better,

Cheers

Mark
    matth3wh and CoffeeHack like this.