Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Uji86
  • 1 Post By mulquemi
  • 1 Post By Uji86
  • 2 Post By Uji86

Thread: New coffee snob. New (used) set up complete

New coffee snob. New (used) set up complete

Hey all.
    I have finally got some decent kit, well I think so anyway. Just picked up a used rancilio s24 for $400 and a super jolly for $280.

The S24 had issues with the water level detector I had to exercise the soleniod by sucking and blowing on the pipe. Hopefully now it's running it will get better. Can anyone explain how the detector works?
    New group head gasket and shower screen thanks to coffee parts. I will have to try it out on my old gaggia grinder till the super jolly arrives. I'm excited for my real coffee machine coffee
    Andy, Dimal and matth3wh like this.

Uji86,
    Congratulations on your purchase,you should have a great time with your "real" machine now and once set up with the supper jolly.....you could pretend your a cafe as well! Nice machine,I have the S20/CD two group and mine is over forty five years old,presently with a failed heating element.Despite that these machines are solid as a rock!
    Your solenoid you have problems with (you didn't say which one ,there are five) really need pulling apart and cleaning out to ensure a good continuous operation.
    The level controller maintains boiler water level,pump activation (when necessary) along with solenoid valve control.
    Like my machine,yours will have a additional relay fitted near the level controller which combines with the controller to maintain your machines operational characteristics.
    My machine has been pumping out brews almost continually at my works staff room (school) until its heating element failed,set to only one of its three elements to allow operation on less then 10 amp,worked great however,shortened the life of the elements.
    Any other information..ask away.
    cheers,
    Mick.

It's the low level Solenoid that has a clear pipe into the water tank. I have to blow into the pipe and put my finger over it and stick it under the water level for it to work. Have no idea if this normal if the pipe comes out of the water. As long as I don't let it run out of water it's working great with the super jolly. Just bought a silvia with pid for home use from a fellow CS. Just need to find a grinder for home now eekk.

Quote Originally Posted by Uji86 View Post
    It's the low level Solenoid that has a clear pipe into the water tank. I have to blow into the pipe and put my finger over it and stick it under the water level for it to work. Have no idea if this normal if the pipe comes out of the water. As long as I don't let it run out of water it's working great with the super jolly. Just bought a silvia with pid for home use from a fellow CS. Just need to find a grinder for home now eekk.
    Or suck on the pipe and stick under the water... I can't remember now I had a laugh

Uji86,
    Your exercise in blowing or sucking on the clear pipe suggests to me your machine is drawing water from a water container rather then plumbed to a mains water supply.Please be aware that rotary pumps won't run dry long before failure occurs.
    Always have fitted a inline check valve or one way valve into your water,this way your rotary pump is initially protected from operating dry.Water containers mush be supervised at all times for low levels/ blockages.
    One way valves/ check valves can be purchased from as little as $10 from most places.
    Hope that helps,or am I off track here?
    cheers,
    Mick.
    Dimal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mulquemi View Post
    Uji86,
    Your exercise in blowing or sucking on the clear pipe suggests to me your machine is drawing water from a water container rather then plumbed to a mains water supply.Please be aware that rotary pumps won't run dry long before failure occurs.
    Always have fitted a inline check valve or one way valve into your water,this way your rotary pump is initially protected from operating dry.Water containers mush be supervised at all times for low levels/ blockages.
    One way valves/ check valves can be purchased from as little as $10 from most places.
    Hope that helps,or am I off track here?
    cheers,
    Mick.
    The S24 had a built in tank. A water feed(with softener attached) a return and a water level pipe. It's the water level pipe I have to slightly blow on, I hear the relays click and the machine comes to life. When the water level is low the machine shuts down with no pump or heating. It is a little vibe pump too. Next model up is a rotary pump.
    I'm unsure if it is standard practice to have to "reset" the low level switch if the hose comes out if the water. Seems odd when my colleagues come into the kitchen and I'm up on the bench hunched over the machine and blowing on a hose 😂 😂
    degaulle likes this.

Uji86,
    I understand now,sorry about my misunderstanding.Your machine seems to have a faulty vibration pump,these have effectively a built in one way valve although they can tolerate some dry pumping.
    I don't know what water level detection system your machine use,presume similar to the standard Rancilio machines with probe into boiler via the water level module,which as you say could be dodgy.Hopefully others with knowledge of similar machines could respond.
    I'll back out now until I can be much help later on,good luck.
    cheers,
    mick.

Tanked Rancilios use an air pressure switch to shut the machine off if the water level in the tank gets low. There should be an open-bottomed plastic tube about 1" in diameter sitting in the tank, connected by clear plastic hose to the air pressure switch which is normally located somewhere near/above the group head. The tube in the water tank acts like a diving bell - when the water tank is filled up air is trapped inside the tube, and once the water level gets high enough it creates enough air pressure inside the tube to activate the switch. The most common way in which these fail is that either the plastic tube floats loose inside the tank (it is supposed to wedge in place over the little plastic 'cross' moulded into the bottom of the water tank, but the plastic can wear and become a loose fit so it won't stay in place) or the clear hose leading to the switch dries out/hardens due to heat from the boiler and either splits or becomes a loose fit onto the plastic tube.

I think you have just inadvertently made me realise the problem. I think the water level isn't connected to the air trap. The pipes are around the wrong way and the over pressure hose is on that air trap. I'll swap over tomorrow and see how I go
    IMG_20170417_122026.jpggIMG_20170417_122026.jpg

I think you have just inadvertently made me realise the problem. I think the water level isn't connected to the air trap. The pipes are around the wrong way and the over pressure hose is on that air trap. I'll swap over tomorrow and see how I go
    IMG_20170417_122026.jpggIMG_20170417_122026.jpg
    All fixed. Previous owner had pipes around the wrong way!
    Dimal and K_Bean_Coffee like this.

Gabriel coffee beans

All fixed. Previous owner had pipes around the wrong way!
    Great new Mick.
    Enjoy your new setup now.
    Cheers, Paul
    K Bean - Dream Machines