Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By anst1ssa
  • 3 Post By anst1ssa
  • 3 Post By anst1ssa
  • 1 Post By MattyRay

Thread: Sanremo Treviso (Tanked version) - Turns on but no pressure or heat

Angry Sanremo Treviso (Tanked version) - Turns on but no pressure or heat

Hi all,

I've recently acquired an almost "brand new" Sanremo Treviso HX Machine (E61 Group head). The previous owner states he won it in a competition and had turned it on and used it once. It has now been stored for 6 years in its original packaging without being turned on.

The machine arrived today and I immediately filled the tank and switched on the machine in excitement (so eager to upgrade from my Silvia).

As I flick on the switch, the machine rumbles very loudly (too loud - my Dad's Quickmill Anita is far, far more quiet). After about a minute or two, the machine's rumbling is about half its original volume and this continues for another minute or so. The rumbling stops. I wait and wait but the machine fails to heat and the pressure gauge remains at 0.

I try and raise the lever to release water from the group head - it makes that original, deafening sound it made when I initially turn it on - NO water comes out.

I check the tank, no water has been drawn from the tank at all. It is as full as it originally was.

The hot water tap and steam wand also do not release any water.

ANY advice is welcome - I am in total disbelief the machine isn't working.... Thanks in advance.

I've worked out that (seems stupid I didn't before...) that the pump isn't pulling any water at all. The pump is a standard ULKA EP5 which I think is common in many E61 Machines.

So what I'm having trouble with now: The pump is vibrating like mad for about 2 minutes then easing off - before eventually stopping all together. What could be causing this?

Could the pump be blocked by scale? Could something else be occuring??

Once again I appreciate any help in advance!

Okay so the pump definitely works.... I confirmed this by disconnecting it from the solenoid and allowing it to pump from the tank into an empty container. I also took apart the pump and gave it a good clean. Works just fine.

Could the problem be the solenoid??

I turn the machine on with everything in its place: Cold water is released from the group head. Water appears to be going into the boiler........???

No water will come from the steam wand or hot water tap however.....

Any ideas?????

Do you have a wiring diagram and/or a few pics of the inside of the machine? If you could post them it would help.

Cheers,

Matt

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

The photo of the disconnected tubing shows where the solenoid should exist - I currently have it soaking in vinegar solution because I found a bit of gunk inside of it.

There was water running from one tube directly into the bottom of the boiler, but no water running from the tube that runs to the brass fitting that sits directly below the boiler... if that makes sense

Hi Matt,

I attempted to add photos - they are waiting to be 'approved by a moderator'.

Just another update:

I took the solenoid out and gave the valve body a clean in some vinegar. It had a fair bit of gunk caught inside of it...

I reattached the the solenoid to the machine (HOWEVER I forgot to put the plunger back into the valve body)

The machine heated perfectly! Pressure reads 9 bar and both the steam and hot water taps function! This is all without the plunger inside the solenoid valve body... After work I will put the plunger back in and see if it still functions!

Looks like you might have nailed it. That would explain all the symtoms the machine has, both the no water and the heating issue. I'd be interested to hear back :-)

Cheers,

Matt

Hi Matt,

After soaking the plunger from inside the solenoid (in vinegar) and reinstalling it.... the machine works 100%!

After 6 years of being inactive I can imagine whatever liquid left inside the machine just clogged up and froze a few components.

Can't find a whole lot of info on the Treviso, however I am impressed so far:
    - It is at full temperature within 15 minutes of startup
    - Steam wand has fantastic pressure however I think the nozzle should have finer holes (might upgrade)
    - Hot water tap doesn't spit everywhere like the Quickmill Anita I have used in the past, it instead is dispensed evenly and without spray

I'll post a few pictures of the complete setup soon.
    MattyRay likes this.

Awesome, thanks for the update. Great to hear it's up and running!

Matt

Back again with bad news.

The check valve / expansion valve / in-line valve (whatever you want to label it) ended up having a crack in it and therefore water was leaking from the machine.

I have since replaced the valve with a new one however I am noticing a new problem:

The machine turns on, heats up and builds pressure as expected. I can pull shots, use steam and hot water without an issue. Eventually the water in the tank is nearly all used and the pump will start just pumping air and the machine will lose all pressure according to the gauge.

Once I refill the machine (whilst the machine is still on and hot) the pump attempts to kick in and start pumping water. It seems to be unable to do so and the pressure in the machine will not rebuild nor will the boiler element kick in.

Is it possible that when the water level gets low enough, the pump creates an air bubble which blocks water from being pumped into the machine???

Sounds about right. A lot of machines have a low water cut out switch or alarm, but maybe yours doesnt, or it's broken? Most machines will stop pumping after a certain period to prevent the pump from burning out of something like this occurs.

It does have a cut-out switch but what I think is happening is:

The water level isn't low enough for the switch to activate, but it is low enough for the pumping tube to no longer be submerged in water.

So in theory it could be pumping in air which then prevents it from pumping correctly when the tank is refilled??

Yeah, an air lock is possible. Because the boiler may not allow air/ pressure to escape the pump then can't force the water in and an air lock occurs.
    is the water reservoir sitting on a platform with a micro switch underneath? You can adjust the spring tension or switch height to make the low water cutout work correctly.

edit: the pump tube really should be long enough to reach the bottom of the water reservoir. Is there actually more length inside the machine you gain gently pull out to get more length into the reservoir?

Let the machine cool down, pulled the pump tube till it reached the bottom of the water tank, fired it back up with a full tank and just ran all the water through to see what would happen (also back flushed to potentially clean up a little too). The machine turned its pump off and lost pressure then displayed the 'no water' light correctly. I refilled the machine and it began to refill the boiler as it should. The heating element kicked in properly and it all worked fine! I just need to make sure the pump tube is in far enough in future I had a laugh....

$270 bucks spent (250 on the machine and 20 on a new valve) for a machine with very little use worth over $2,000 new. Pretty happy!
    Dimal, MattyRay and timmyjj21 like this.

A bit overdue, but I thought I'd share the kit I've ended up with after some bargain hunting:

Sanremo Treviso - $250 ($2,100+) and $21 worth of repairs
    Compak K3 Touch Advanced - $100 ($700ish)

Thank the lord for gumtree & those with no concept of value!

DSCF1071.jpgDSCF1070.jpg
    Dimal, Gavisconi007 and MattyRay like this.

Well done mate...

Mal.

Nice one! Yes, would agree about Gumtree. I've picked up a few too: VBM Domobar Junior, Mint condition $500 ($2k+), Wega Mininova EVD volumetric in good condition $220 ($3k) + $25 in repairs, La Pavoni Pro pre mill, ex. condition $170 just needed a $50 element. Massive grins after picking up each of these bargains :-)

I thought my Compak K3 Touch at $200 was not too bad but you trumped me there!

Cheers,

Matt
    anst1ssa likes this.