Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Melbroaster
  • 1 Post By Melbroaster
  • 2 Post By 2muchcoffeeman

Thread: Izzo MyWay Alex PID III - wet steam and brew temp.

Izzo MyWay Alex PID III - wet steam and brew temp.

Hi there
    I bought this machine 2 months ago. It looks great and mostly deliver excellent shots.
    I have it plumbed (by myself) and didn't check the water pressure.

However:
    1. The steam is very wet and I didn't manage to get it dry (see video)... Tried adjusting the temperature on the boiler - with no effect. Even if I draw some steam, close, wait for some seconds and draw a bit more it is still whistling with water and there will be some spoonfulls of water in the jug.
    I got in touch with my dealer, but until now they refuse to acknowledge the issue as a problem...

Any experiences of this? Should I insist on having it checked or am I just doing something wrong?

2. The brewing temperature is a to high and not easy to get down even though I empty out water for 5-10 seconds before drawing a shot.

Hope to get some tips or help!
    Best regards
    Niels

https://youtu.be/j1dNyC7WXEw

I have not encountered this but would not accept it as being a good way for that machine to perform
    level3ninja likes this.

There is a probe that goes into the boiler, maybe it is not pushed in far enough and the level is to high?

Email Izzo in Italy and ask what they think.....
    readeral likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbroaster View Post
    Email Izzo in Italy and ask what they think.....
    Or...
    Pm Chris at Talk Coffee, the Oz Importer re: 2muchcoffeeman... View Profile: 2muchcoffeeman - CoffeeSnobs

Mal.

Hi, the video is not really helpful as the steam at the tip of the nozzle is hidden so we can not actually see what is coming out. It may be spluttering with water or it may be steam that is " wet". Also there is always condensed steam - water in the steam tube. This is normal as it is left over steam from the last use and has since cooled. That is why you get less water on the second time you turned on the steam. Remember the steam turns to water when it hits the side of the jug as the temp is lower. I always evacuate that condensation, a quick flush before I steam my first milk in a session.
    So it may normal - just a learning curve.

dumiya could it really produce that much water if the steam was up to temp? I would expect maybe a teaspoon, not the multiple tablespoons that seemed to appear in seconds. I've only played with a half dozen or so different machines though.

Ok I'll bite then...

Firstly, looking at the ewetoob, it appears you have an Alex (HX) as the steam wand is to the right. Also, impossible to work out where you're located, but given the machine is only 2 months old, I can only assume it's not in Australia as the Alex III has never been imported unless it's a grey import..

In addition, when I hear "I plumbed it myself", it's a heads up. How was it plumbed? What filtration? Is there a PLV in the system? It can be like the bloke who brings his machine in after he "fixed it himself". We then waste time unfixing it so that the work required can be commenced and then done properly. What was the labour charge multiplier for that one again?

I have seen countless botched espresso machine installations done by plumbers letalone home blokes, so it's difficult to ascertain whether it was plumbed correctly. If there is a filter in the system, was it flushed first or has your machine had a big 'ol drink of carbon which is influencing fill and/or water movement within the machine?

The steam performance is not normal and I suspect that for one reason or another, the boiler is overfilling. Is the boiler probe clean or fouled with scale or something else? Machines with long plumb runs from boilers to steam valve can suffer from condensation, but you'd only see it on the first steam attempt.

How your machine came to be this way open to speculation, but all is not right.

Back to the drawing board I say. My invoice is in the mail.
    Dimal and zeezaw like this.

NCI the prime suspect retailer... they're the only grey import peeps offering this named machine at the moment.

Looks like you've got a reasonable repair bill coming up nielsbaden.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    I reckon the OP is in Belgium, from the youtube domain.

ohh. haha. good call.