Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LeroyC

Thread: Brugnetti Simona Top DE Steam Knob

Brugnetti Simona Top DE Steam Knob

I have a Brugnetti Simona Top DE built in the year 2000. It is working very well but there is a slight leak (drip) coming out of the steam control knob. I thought it was a simple grub screw that retained the knob to the valve spindle, but now I am not so sure. What I assumed was a grub screw, can be wobbled around but the small allen key drive appears to have been rounded out, so I am having trouble removing it.

A I said the"grub screw" is wobbling around but the knob is held securely?????? Anyone know for sure if it is a grub screw, or is there a special technique to remove the steam control knob?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Ah well, no progress on the steam knob?? I spoke to a local technician who thought it just pulled off - no luck, it will not pull off!!!
    That is not the biggest issue now. I was away during the week and received a phone call from my beloved (wife that is, not Brugnetti), saying the Brugnetti was beeping and there was water coming out!!!!!! Not much I could do from Shanghai. My only suggestion was to put it aside and fire up the trusty Gaggia Classic.

Now I have had a little time look at the Brugnetti.
    First thing I noticed on my return was the pressure gauge was sitting @ 0.5 bar with a cold machine. Opened the steam tap and nothing came out?????
    Next I turned it on and it started to heat up, but once the pressure gauge started to move it blew the circuit breaker = not good!!!!
    Time to start pulling panels off and see if there was anything obviously wrong = Nothing obvious.

Something serious had obviously happened and the pressure gauge appeared to have been damaged as it had been damaged so that its rest point when cold now indicated 0.5 bar. My thought was that the boiler had over filled to a point that it was completely full and when it heated it may have even primed the pressure gauge with water, causing the damage. So I pulled out the vacuum relief valve and the water sensor fitting and had a look in the boiler. The water was very very close to the top, a few mm's from the top. The water sensing probe is about 100mm long so I guess there should be a reasonable gap between the water level and the top of the boiler? Not 1 or 2 mm's???
    Can you please help me and confirm how full the boiler should be on a HX machine?

Hi Ctc,

Sorry, I missed your first post regarding the steam knob. Yes it's definitely a grub screw that locks the steam knob onto the shaft. If the hex is rounded out I'd suggest putting a little bit of epoxy onto the end of something small enough to fit in there then gluing it into the grub screw. Hopefully the next day you'll be able to get the grub screw out. It'll need to be replaced anyway, so you might as well sacrifice it to get it off. If you end up needing a whole new knob you don't need a Brugnetti one, you just need a generic one to fit that size shaft.

If you're getting a little bit of water leaking out the front of the steam knob then the seals inside the valve need to be replaced. To do this it needs to be fully disassembled and both o-rings replaced. Make sure you get the one on the inside too as it can be forgotten. Give the valve a good clean while you're at it.

And as far as the boiler problem goes I'm not 100% sure so hopefully one of our resident techs will jump in here. The one thing I've thought of is that the guy I bought mine off had a similar problem and this is what he told me about it:
    "The only hassle I've ever had with the machine was in 2012 after I was away for a month and some water had drained down the boiler and wet the heating element insulation terminals at the base of the boiler. It tripped our earth safety switch (which is very sensitive.)"

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers,

Leroy
    Dimal likes this.

Thanks Leroy
    Greatly appreciate that you could confirm it is a grub screw that retains the steam knob.

I siphoned out about 300ml of water. I had a look inside to see how much scale was coating the inside of the boiler. There is a light coating of scale, certainly nothing to worry about. I then re-calibrated the pressure gauge by dismantling and rotating the face so the the dial was again just touching the end stop. It does appear to be reading a little higher than before the problem occurred. Finally I cleaned up the water level probe and connections.
    It appears to be working properly again, with no problems yesterday and today. When it does pump water into the steam boiler now, it does not pump as long as it did before!!!
    Lets hope it all keeps working