Thread: Grimac La Uno electrical fault

Grimac La Uno electrical fault

Hello coffeesnobs, I just traded my Silvia for a La Uno and thought it had worked out well for me until I plugged it in...

It appeared to be working the first time but now it just trips the safety switch. Being a little bit handy with a multimeter I found that there is some resistance between the boiler element terminals and the boiler element body itself. If I understand correctly it there should be no connection at all.

I disconnected the active wire from the boiler element and it no longer trips the RCD. But obviously no longer heats either.

So, two questions, firstly, any tips on undoing the boiler element. I put a great big rachet on a 38mm socket but I felt like the chincy little screw that holds the boiler in place would probably shear off before I loosened the element.

Secondly, are the elements rebuildable? I've seen some websites where they refurbish old elements, but perhaps for machines where you can no longer buy replacement elements.

All advice appreciated.

andy

I'm back to answer my own questions in case somebody finds this useful. The big wrench was the answer, I just needed to take the boiler out and put it in a big vise first.

I tried rebuilding the element but there must have been a leak somewhere on the wet side because after drying it out it would work for a while then I would find resistance between the body and contacts once again.

The machine was just all wrong, once I got it going it was overfilling the boiler, cleaning the fill solenoid fixed that problem. Then I found the hot water solenoid had also failed through corrosion. $110 at the coffee machine shop to replace that valve hurt.

Now everything seems to operate correctly. Lesson learned not to buy non-working equipment from the internet.

andy