Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Silentj
  • 1 Post By coffeechris
  • 1 Post By coffeechris
  • 1 Post By Casa Espresso
  • 4 Post By Silentj

Thread: Advice on Oscar 2 vs Diadema Jr vs Bezzera BZ10

Advice on Oscar 2 vs Diadema Jr vs Bezzera BZ10

Hi All, I was hoping to get some advice/experience on some machines that I think i have narrowed my search down to. My budget is not particulary strict however I think i'd be quite happy with any of the below machines which can be had for between $1500-$1800. I'm really after something that will keep me satisfied for the next 5-7 years or so. There are other HX machines that I've considered up to around the $2200 mark however didn't really feel that they offered anymore on the machines below.

Nuova Simonelli Oscar 2
    Timed shots (Useful for the wife)
    Average build quality (Admittedly, I haven't seen it in the flesh however being half plastic is less appealing)
    Least favourite visually

Diadema Junior PUL
    Local sales and service (im in Canberra)
    Solid build
    Significantly discounted at the moment $$

Bezzera BZ10
    Fast heat up
    Solid build
    My favourite visually

All seem to receive very positive reviews. I'm kind of leaning towards the Bezzera due to the looks and fast heat up, however am wondering about the group compared to the E61.

Does this make any difference to the taste of the shot?
    Would it be subject to any more or less frequent repairs?
    Would it cost any more or less to repair?

Ben.
    Casa Espresso likes this.

It may not be as pleasing to the eye, however i feel the Expobar office control is worth a look. Robust, Volumetric (timed shots) and makes a great coffee. I cant speak for the office But i do have the Expobar Minore IV and for the 6 years Ive had it Ive not had a single issue. That is climbing up in price a little to approx $2500 but its well worth it. I assume the Office is very similar.

To answer your question about the above 3 in my opinion i would go with the Bezzera BZ10, that said for the price the Nuova Simonelli Oscar 2 also looks the goods.

Cheers,

Chris
    magnafunk likes this.

Diadema Junior for me (I'd go the lever version though). I've owned one in the past build quality is very good. OSCAR is not in the same league I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by sacsnob View Post
    Diadema Junior for me (I'd go the lever version though). I've owned one in the past build quality is very good. OSCAR is not in the same league I'm afraid.
    Hence ive mentioned the Expobar..... That said the Oscar is well priced compared to the other machines mentioned. Its only been out a short while also so i would hesitate to state its not up to scratch or in the same league.

Bezzera do also have a nice long well known history.

All 3 are within $100 or $200 of each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentj View Post
    All 3 are within $100 or $200 of each other.
    https://www.casaespresso.com.au/bezzera-bz10.html - $1990

https://www.casaespresso.com.au/nuov...-oscar-ii.html - $1450

for some price is the final choice, others not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeechris View Post
    Hence ive mentioned the Expobar..... That said the Oscar is well priced compared to the other machines mentioned. Its only been out a short while also so i would hesitate to state its not up to scratch or in the same league.

Bezzera do also have a nice long well known history.
    It does not have an OPV, hot water spout/valve, pressure gauge, If you add these all up the price would be very close to other machines.

It does not have an OPV, hot water spout/valve, pressure gauge, If you add these all up the price would be very close to other machines.
    Correct. OPV brings the NS Oscar to $1600.

Cool....As you said though i shy away from the plastic appearance of them when it comes to looks, Still think the Bezzera looks the goods and is robust.

Either way good luck with find one, I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you get.

cheers,

Chris
    magnafunk likes this.

We have had some contact with the OP.

One of the main criteria was a fast heat up time, and that led to the Oscar and the BZ10 with the actively heated group head.

Agreed the E61 group head is nice but it always going to have the 25 to 30 minute true heat up time.

Cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au
    matth3wh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentj View Post
    Hi All, I was hoping to get some advice/experience on some machines that I think i have narrowed my search down to. My budget is not particulary strict however I think i'd be quite happy with any of the below machines which can be had for between $1500-$1800. I'm really after something that will keep me satisfied for the next 5-7 years or so. There are other HX machines that I've considered up to around the $2200 mark however didn't really feel that they offered anymore on the machines below.

Nuova Simonelli Oscar 2
    Timed shots (Useful for the wife)
    Average build quality (Admittedly, I haven't seen it in the flesh however being half plastic is less appealing)
    Least favourite visually

Diadema Junior PUL
    Local sales and service (im in Canberra)
    Solid build
    Significantly discounted at the moment $$

Bezzera BZ10
    Fast heat up
    Solid build
    My favourite visually

All seem to receive very positive reviews. I'm kind of leaning towards the Bezzera due to the looks and fast heat up, however am wondering about the group compared to the E61.

Does this make any difference to the taste of the shot?
    Would it be subject to any more or less frequent repairs?
    Would it cost any more or less to repair?

Ben.
    The Bezzera grouphead,, compared to an E61 is a tad more sensitive to errors in distributing and dosing, so stick with Classic Italian 14 gram doses or put in a deeper basket. Combined with a solid grinder it can produce excellent shots. The E61 grouphead has an inherent preinfusion mechanism (slight lag in the ramp-up of the brew pressure) that is said to make l it a bit more forgiving and, according to some people with very well-trained taste buds, give a fuller body to the shot, while the Bezzera grouphead provides a more layered taste profile. The E61 is probably more accurate for dialing in a certain temperature. but If you let go of gauges, thermometers etc. and go by taste, I find the Bezzera consistent

Regarding maintenance and repairs, I would say go with the Bezzera. The mere maintenance on the grouphead (beside cleaning) is changing of a gasket, shower screen and a single O ring every year or so and very occasionally a solenoid valve, where the E61 has more moving parts to service, lubricate etc. Also the grouphead unscrews very easily with only 3 bolts. You might think the cartridge heaters would make it vulnerable, but they seem to last a really long time.

Decided to go with the Bezzera BZ10 with Eureka Mignon grinder.

Huge thanks to Antony from Casa Espresso for his advice, patience and a great deal.