Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hugz

Thread: Is there a difference between the Minore 3 and 4? Is there any better choice for me?

Is there a difference between the Minore 3 and 4? Is there any better choice for me?

I'm back in the market for a new machine for the first time in 10 years. My budget is generally $2500 or less.

The the Expobar Minore seems good, so it's my benchmark. I can't quite suss out whether there are any differences between the Minore 3 and 4. Is there?

Are there any better options available for me? Generally I like the idea of dual boilers, purely for the sake of having the machine's systems isolated from each other. I'm not fundamentally opposed to HX though.

I drink milk based coffees and usually pump out a few in a row. Other than the "cool" factor, I don't see any obvious benefit to a lever machine. Volumetric seems like the most convenient option.

Once upon a time I used to be well versed in this kind of thing, but there are so many machines in the market now that my head is spinning

As far as i know, Minore IV has a new blue PID and a switch for the steam boiler. For $2500 you'd be hard pressed to find a DB other than Minore. And Minore is not volumetric. that leaves you few choices.

If I am in the market now with maximum $2.5k to spend, The following machines would be in my shortlist.

Bezzera Domus Galetea
    Vibiemme Domobar Junior
    Rocket Appartamento

Quote Originally Posted by symphonie View Post
    As far as i know, Minore IV has a new blue PID and a switch for the steam boiler. For $2500 you'd be hard pressed to find a DB other than Minore. And Minore is not volumetric. that leaves you few choices.
    Cheers. I'm not limiting myself to DB though- it's just a preference

Quote Originally Posted by symphonie View Post
    If I am in the market now with maximum $2.5k to spend, The following machines would be in my shortlist.

Bezzera Domus Galetea
    Vibiemme Domobar Junior
    Rocket Appartamento
    I'll look onto all of those. thanks!
    Casa Espresso likes this.

I have the Minore 4 and very happy with it. Glad I went for the PID control and after initially having some issues with milk stretching, I am now churning out consistently good coffees. Even roasting my own beans in a Behmor plus 1600. Life is good :-)

I was working at Expobar when the Minore IV came out and from memory the differences were, yep the blue PID display, they added an extra switch next to the on/off switch which you could turn the steam boiler on and off in case you are just making espresso's, the feet also changed at one point but this may have been before that. Internally I don't remember any differences. They are good value comparing to what else is on the market, not the most amazing looking machine but not hideous. I am a service technician and can't understand why so many of the home machines are lever groups. One non lever group machine I would suggest having a look at is the Iberital IB7, it is a bigger foot print and more expensive machine than what you are probably looking at but worth looking at, they have just came out with a tank version, they have a 4 liter boiler with an 1800w element (under 10amp), heat exchanger E61 group head, rotary pump, volumetric touch pad, dual gauge, they have quarter turn steam and hot water taps (I have not tested these) they are the same tap as in a Synesso but a different knob set up. More suggestions probably just make your decision harder, sorry.

Clinton