• 2 Post By herzog
  • 1 Post By Duffybeers
  • 1 Post By Duffybeers
  • 2 Post By Silentj
  • 4 Post By BeanGroupHead

Thread: Lowest heat up times

Lowest heat up times

Hello

I am about to buy a new espresso machine, but am I want one with a low heat up time.

Are there any rocket machines that will heat up as fast as the Profitec 300 including heating up the steamboiler ?

for example the
    Rocket appartemento

Thanks

I wouldn't compromise your choice of machine based on heat up time. Just get a smart timer switch.

As long as it uses e61 it will take at least 30mins to heat up properly.
    Casa Espresso and trentski like this.

I was going to reply to this early this morning but didn't want to sound rude by doing so. But like mentioned above i wouldn't be compromising your choice of machines only on heat up time. There are many great machines available, most will take sometime to heat up. Another alternative is to get a timed switch to have it turn up at a set time or be able to turn it on at your own choice. Both types are available and there is plenty of information about this within Coffeesnobs.
    Casa Espresso and magnafunk like this.

Pod machines are up to temp in a couple of minutes
    coffeechris and Duffybeers like this.

... And 6910 / 7000's take 90 seconds. Personally I recommend a quick preflush to fully stabilise the temps before the first shot which takes it "up" to 2 minutes.

FWIW, that is the main reason I rarely use my 2 group La Pavoni - 35 minutes @ 20 amps is a loooong delay (and a lot of power usage) when I only want 2 cuppas in the morning and another 2 late afternoon / early evening. Given no difference in the coffee (and I am very, very finicky with my cuppas) why would I fire up the La Pav at home?

Cafe use / parties: My first preference - LM Linea every time for me as no domestic machine can sustain well over 100 shots an hour indefinitely. Real world figures: 3 group LM Linea - 403 shots in just under 3 hours at one of my friend's cafes and it didn't even quiver. Most days there top 700 shots and they are only open about 7 hours. Most other commercial machines probably cannot handle that workload either - my La Pav can barely do 75 an hour before (validly) complaining a little.

You pays yur munney and you takes yur choice...

Would the group handle be warm after two minutes though?

If you leave it in with an empty basket while preflushing, yes absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by level3ninja View Post
    If you leave it in with an empty basket while preflushing, yes absolutely.
    To be really picky, the handle itself should never get hot.

The portafilter body, and the basket will definitely heat up to temp using the process you mentioned.
    level3ninja likes this.

I usually drink espresso shots when I get home from work. Thats why I want it to heat up fast.

Quote Originally Posted by BeanGroupHead View Post
    I usually drink espresso shots when I get home from work. Thats why I want it to heat up fast.
    Get a WeMo switch that you can control from your smartphone.

You can switch your machine on when you're leaving the office or while you're still on the train home.
    Duffybeers and ElShauno like this.

+1 for pod machine. Of all the inconveniences that high quality espresso imparts on the home barista, warm up time is one of the most insignificant and easily overcome. If you can't deal with a 15-45 min warm up time then I can't imagine you getting fresh beans from roasters/cafes, training of some description, keeping it clean etc.

I don't like timers so just leave my machine on lots. I have a linea mini which heats up in 15 mins, my old la scala e61hx took 45-60mins to get up to full temp (typical for a e61 machine). $5-10 a month in power is worth it to me.

Do you really want to be bothered with all that or do you just want a coffee when you get home from work?

If you can be bothered and just really don't like waiting for it to warm up, then the breville dual boiler heats up really quickly and delivers pretty good coffee. I had one of those for a while but prefered the shots from my la scala.
    Dimal likes this.

Thanks for your answers. I will take it into consideration down at the shop : )

You don't have to go as upmarket as the Wemo. I got a cheapy from Bunnings that has multiple possible settings for every day of the week. Still going strong after more than a year. Only negative with it is it's not instictive to program so don't lose the instructions.

Lowest heat up times

The one I have is is from Bunnings. It looks like a wemo but is branded arlec.

It's very convenient being able to turn on machine when heading home!

Was 30 or 40 from memory.

Some E61 groups heat up more quickly. The Alex Duetto must have a higher therm siphon flow and I would guess it takes about 15 minutes to warm up.

Cheers
    Last edited by artman; 19th August 2017 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Added info

Site Sponsor
    Timers are a good workaround for most people with a machine that takes a while to heat up. But they don't help in the scenario where the machine, for whatever reason, doesn't happen to be on and you want a coffee asap. That's where a faster heat up time is a useful feature and a perfectly valid item for the wish list.

An E61 will add some time to the heat up as will a heat exchanger. So a machine with an group head that's integrated with the boiler - either single boiler or dual boiler (eg Profitec Pro 300) will heat up pretty fast.

charlie

I am so looking forward to having this problem when my Breville BES870 finally kicks the bucket. However, there is no indication of imminent failure anytime soon ;-(

Yes Single boiler lelit or similar is good to go within a couple of minutes and can be accelerated using steam function.

Not wise to put a single boiler on a timer incase you forgotten to prime and it burns out the element.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Erimus View Post
    I am so looking forward to having this problem when my Breville BES870 finally kicks the bucket. However, there is no indication of imminent failure anytime soon ;-(
    Don't wait, upgrade now. Life is too short for average coffee! Or at least that's how I justify all of my ridiculous coffee purchases
    level3ninja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Erimus View Post
    My first BES870 died after three years but being in the country and finding out about the long warm up time of the machines favoured in most postings I got another but with extened warranty. It came down to when I get up, did I want to go and turn the ubeaut machine on and then attend to toiletries, or turn on the appliance machine that worked to my requirements when I wanted my coffee. Yes, it is a consumer appliance but a very convenient one that works for me. As for what it produces, use great beans you get great coffee, put crap beans in you get crap coffee. I think the beans are more important than the equipment.

I recently purchased a Bezzera BZ10 which has an electrically heated group head, it gets up to temp within 7 - 10 mins.

I wouldn't say heat up time was a deciding factor however it did play a part in my decision. I'm extremely happy which my purchase
    Casa Espresso and matth3wh like this.

I ended up getting the Profitec 300. So far I'm quite happy it