Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Webb
  • 2 Post By Barry O'Speedwagon
  • 1 Post By kammy
  • 1 Post By Sir_Stinkalot

Thread: Diadema Regal - pump failure after warmup.

Diadema Regal - pump failure after warmup.

Hi All,

I have a Diadema Regal which has been performing well for the past 6-7 years.

As of the last couple of weeks I have noticed that if it has been left on for a few hours (which is typical on the weekends) the pump cuts out a few seconds into pulling a shot. After turning it off and letting it cool down again it works without an issue and also the same if the shot is pulled in the first hour or so of turning on (typically during the week).

Just wondering if this is simply a pump issue that could be rectified by replacing with a "ULKA EX5 VIBRATING PUMP 1/8 INCH BSP THREAD OUTLET 220V" or if it goes a little deeper than that. Happy to invest in replacing the pump if it would fix the issue but not so keen to replace the pump if there is something else causing the issue.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Cheers

M.

Hello

I am not familiar with your exact machine but I would suggest eliminating the electrics first.
    If you can put a volt meter on the pump and check for voltage there when you are activating the pump and while it is failing, you can eliminate power to the pump as a problem, if you don't have power there you can check for power at the microswitch behind the group lever cam, making sure you have power to it and power out of it when engaged, sometimes the switch needs to be adjusted forward a little to make sure they are engaging properly, you can also remove the wires off the back of the switch and use a ohms meter to make sure you have continuity across the switch when in the on position. You could also draw water out of the machine to get it to refill and see if the pump will fail when getting it's power from the control board auto fill circuit. There is a chance the machine could be wired up as neutral switching which can make it a little trickier to diagnose as you will have power at the pump all the time but no neutral, for the switching will be on the neutral side of the pump, in which case you need to make sure you put the negative terminal of your voltmeter on the neutral side of the pump and not earth for if it is neutral switching and you check to earth you will have power all the time, but if you put it on the neutral side of the pump you won't have power there until you complete the circuit by activating the switch, its good practice to pick up your power and neutral at the pump or whatever you may be checking, for this is checking the circuit to and from the pump.
    I would most likely say it is the pump but worth checking the power to it first.
    Sometimes you can see a bulge in the plastic body of a faulty vibrating pump, but they are usually stuffed by that point.

Regards
    Clinton
    Sir_Stinkalot likes this.

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Assuming that there's not a local Diadema dealer, I'd give Cosmorex in Canberra a ring and ask the techies if they've had similar cases. They're usually pretty helpful.
    Dimal and Sir_Stinkalot like this.

Hi. I have a similar aged Diadema Unico Splendor and had the same issue when machine was left on for several hours. Replaced the pump all fixed. Easy to find for under $50 and easy to fit)
    Sir_Stinkalot likes this.

Thank you all for the replies. Always good to get a bit of an understanding of what the problem could be.

Clinton - great write up thank you. A little out of my comfort zone unfortunately. I am happy to replace the pump like for like (after taking some photos of it first) but don't feel comfortable poking around too much.

Barry - I don't know of any Diadema dealers locally in Adelaide. I purchased mine from an ex-sponsor in Melbourne before moving over here. There is a commercial machine repairer just up the road that I think would have no trouble fixing it. I might follow up with Cosmorex.

Kammy- Perfect thank you. My gut is telling me it is the pump as it works perfectly shortly after warming up and after a few hours the pump starts and then after pulling a short short it stops pumping. Given the age of the unit a new pump for $50 isn't going to hurt and if it is the same as you have experienced it may fix my problem cheaply. The only other repair that I have had to do is replace the switch which was easy enough to do so overall very happy with the machine. I think our machines are the same just in a different skin.

Cheers

M
    Dimal likes this.