Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By timmyjj21
  • 2 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By jbrewster

Thread: VBM Junior, water is staying in the group head after brewing

VBM Junior, water is staying in the group head after brewing

When I pull down the handle after making a coffee no water comes out of the pipe leading into the drip tray. Instead it just seems to stay in the portafilter/group head. However the pressure is obviously going somewhere as there's no issues when I detach the filter.

I've recently had the machine repaired (which took three months as the repair person was really busy then waiting for parts). I mentioned to them prior about water not coming out of the bottom pipe but I don't think they understood what I meant (I live in the country, the person that repaired it does all the commercial machines but I don't think has a lot of knowledge with HX machines).

I'm wondering if this is something I should rush back to get fixed i.e. is this in any way damaging to the machine? If it isn't can I still back flush with chemicals to clean it?

E61 Group Servicing - Coffeetime
    My go-to guide on E61

I'm not an expert on this, but if the pressure isn't released out the waste pipe then the only other place is back into the heat exchanger? If you have a sticky cam, the mechanism for pump activity and water flow may be out of sync or not functioning. I would not be back flushing without knowing where it is actually going.
    Something that the repairer really should have noticed!
    Quomby likes this.

Sounds to me like the Valve Ass'y has been incorrectly assembled...

I'd definitely refer it back to the vendor who 'repaired' it for you.

Mal.
    Quomby and jbrewster like this.

I also just realised it no longer does a pre-infusion. I have no idea what he's done to it but now once you raise the lever it jumps straight up to 9 bar. I might take it back in and have a chat with him. I'll also need to find a video so I can show him how it's meant to work (both the pre-infusion and the water venting).

That's really weird, the way preinfusion works on an E61 is basically that there's a cavity (I suppose it'd be considered an accumulator in hydraulic terms) in the water path that fills with water initially, this "bleed path" reduces the pressure to the puck, until the cavity is full of water (an incompressible fluid) which allows the full pump pressure to be seen at the puck. So the only way I can think that it would not do that is if the passage that leads into that "cavity" is blocked.

It's entirely possible I'm off base here though, my brain is rather fuzzy at the moment (it's a 5 shots of espresso kind of day, and I've had 5 shots but things do not seem to be improving...)
    Quomby likes this.