Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BERVY

Thread: Pink sludge in boiler.

Pink sludge in boiler.

Hi all. My boiler element gasket started to leak so I have decided to have a go at changing it my self.
    I have ordered the gasket and it will be here hopefully Monday.

I have taken the element out of the boiler and on inspection the lower half of the tank has a pink/orange residue that gets a little thicker at the bottom. Anyone know what it might be and more importantly how to I remove it without having to dismantle the whole machine to get the boiler out to wash it?

Machine is an ECM Technika Profi IV.

Thanks.

Hello BERVY,
    May I see images of what you are describing,can you take a photo of this residue.
    How old in the machine , has there been work carried out during your ownership or before?
    Your machine isn't a commercial weighted ( heavyweight) size , had you considered turning it over with boiler opening facing down and rinsing the interior of your boiler with hose or pressure washer.
    Odd as it sounds I've successfully carried this out on more then a few fully assembled commercial machines ( less side access covers).A bit of caution and this can be achieved.
    Some photos initially would be helpful.
    Hear from you soon.
    cheers,
    Mick.

Funny enough, I'd actually thought of using a pressure washer with the machine on it's side or taped up with plastic sheet so only the hole is exposed.

Here is the pink sludge.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    degaulle likes this.

Machine is about 4 years old. Somewhat neglected as far as cleaning. Did a descale about 12 months ago by using the method posted in CS forums. Removing the water level indicator sensor to fill the boiler to fill the boiler with descaler. Sadly, not many espresso machine repairers in my neck of the woods (Wodonga, Victoria) so as much as I'd like a service by someone in the know, it would mean expensive shipping or a trip to a cap city.

BERVY,
    Hello again,
    Sending a private message about this.
    cheers,
    Mick.

To the OP - Are you using (a water filter) filtered water?

I use the water from my fridge which is filtered before it gets to the fridge. I do remember reading that fridge filters aren't quite up to scratch. I'll look at a better filter when I sort this out.

I've actually filled to boiler to the brim with descaler, the machine is on it's side with the element hole up. I did need to pull/lift the pressure release valve pin to stop it leaking out of there. I'll drain it tomorrow (haven't worked out how yet - probably will need to flip the machine over - suggestions?) and see how much it got rid of. If there is still some I will need to flush it somehow - maybe with a hose spray set to fine jets or something.

Got a killer week coming up work wise so I don't know exactly when I'll get time for this.

I am using a borrowed pod machine in the meantime - shudder!