• 1 Post By trentski
  • 6 Post By Rockford
  • 1 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By wattgn
  • 5 Post By Rockford

Thread: Rocket Appartamento vs Bezzera Magica

Rocket Appartamento vs Bezzera Magica

Hi all, first post so be gentle.

Looking for a new HX machine. Have narrowed it down to two models and after trawling this site (which has been a great resource) and the internet in general I canít find any obvious issues with either.

I am somewhat limited by bench space (600mm) so want a more compact unit, I mainly drink Flat whites in the morning with the odd expresso thrown in if Iím in the mood. Have regular dinner parties/bbq so can need to make up to 6-8 at a time. (mainly cappuccino/latte)

I am looking at the Rocket Appartamento or the Bezzera Magica.

I am close to Di Bartoli (Rosebery) and Coffee Parts at (Pagewood) Ė both have the Rocket (Coffee Parts is a little better priced). Only Di Bartoli has the Magica. (seems to be an exclusive product for them?). Have no idea who are the best to deal with prices/service/sales experience/after sales etc, etc. Which is important to me.

So anyone know of any potential deal breakers in either machine that could sway me in the other direction.

Budget is $2500 for the machine.

I am very happy with the Rocket products. But I don't have any experience with the Apartmento model. I find that they can be service at any reputable service center, and my experience has been for a reasonable cost. They appear to be a straight forward design. I do not have any experience of the Magica.
    I think both the suppliers you mentioned would be good. There may be other that are local as well. If you can find a supplier who will check and adjust the machine if required it would be worth it. Then you know it is set up correctly.
    Dimal likes this.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions.

Personally I really like the compact design of the Appartamento. That said, the Magica is only an inch or so wider, so you should be able to fit it in. The Magica has the practical benefit over the Appartamento of a larger water tank, so less frequent topping-up and the nice-to-have brew pressure gauge. If these factors are of any concern to you, I would suggest the Magica. If not, the Appartamento should perform equally well with a little less footprint.

Hi Rockford, welcome to the forum.
    I have had no dealings with Coffee Parts so in fairness to them please bear this in mind when considering my following comments.
    I have purchased two major coffee items from Di Bartoli over the past two years.
    I have always found both Ofra and Renzo great to deal with. They are both easy to talk to, very knowledgeable about the products they sell and coffee in general.
    I have to drive over two hours one way to actually visit them even though I have closer options, so that should tell you something about the service they provide to me.
    Good luck with your purchase.
    Cheers
    Mal

Thanks all, appreciate the insight in Di Bartoli.

So it seems it may be much of the sameness, two good brands that are well made, which is what I've found after hours of researching both. The Magica has a bit more functionality, but I love the look of the Rocket. First world problems :-)
    Brewster and matth3wh like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford View Post
    Thanks all, appreciate the insight in Di Bartoli.

So it seems it may be much of the sameness, two good brands that are well made, which is what I've found after hours of researching both. The Magica has a bit more functionality, but I love the look of the Rocket. First world problems :-)
    I've bought parts and accessories off both of these retailers and have always been happy with their service. Can't comment on larger purchases from either though. I believe Di Bartoli have an arrangement with Bezzera Australia for the Magica to be specced and branded for them.
    As there's not much between them you're probably best at this point to have a look at both in the flesh. This can often be the deciding factor (along with instore experience at the same time).
    Brewster and Dimal like this.

Brew pressure gauge is a gimmick imho. I wouldnt put any weighting to it unless you like or dislike the look of it.

If functionally they are the same then the water capacities and element wattage might be a deciding factor. Do they both have low water cut off? Thats important.
    magnafunk likes this.

Visited Di Bartoli in my lunch break and put a deposit down on a Bezzera Magica and Mazzer Mini Type A.

Both looked great in the flesh, but was swayed by the bit better support they have for the Magica and a few other things that made it a bit more convenient and user friendly. I really liked the levers as well.

Will pick it up once I have the bench top fitted and finished.

Thanks for the advice!!

Great to hear mate...

Our eldest son owns a Magica and produces terrific results.

Happy brewing.

Mal.
    matth3wh likes this.

Bezzera make good products and are the oldest espresso company in existence and I believe pioneered the espresso extraction system.

I think any of the E61 machines will produce similar and high quality results so it comes down to details of design and looks. Price of course too.

I am pleased you got the Mazzer Mini E. Personally I feel strongly it is under appreciated as a grinder. I chose the Macap a year ago over the Mini but only just. It is incredibly well built something I definitely can’t say for most of the newer more favoured grinders in that price range which are now flavour of the moment.

Enjoy the new purchases.
    Casa Espresso likes this.

Congratulations on the purchase.

The Bezzera will serve you well for many many years

Cheers

Antony
    www.casaespresso.com.au

Had it for a few days and still learning the ropes, so will doubt be asking some questions!! Loving the different variables involved and how they come into play with making coffee.

Dimal, dumiya, level3ninja and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford View Post
    Had it for a few days and still learning the ropes, so will doubt be asking some questions!! Loving the different variables involved and how they come into play with making coffee.

Certainly looks stunning on your countertop, congrats ! Enjoy the journey!

It looks great, well done, enjoy.