Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: ECM or Profitec

Marcus
    Pro 600!
    Looks like some sort of glass side panel. I have no idea what they've done with the steam- & water wands, looks weird but maybe only on picture.

Nice with PID. Don't know what other specifications it has.
    Mb21 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanax View Post
    Pro 600!
    Looks like some sort of glass side panel. I have no idea what they've done with the steam- & water wands, looks weird but maybe only on picture.

Nice with PID. Don't know what other specifications it has.
    Looks weird to me too, seems something different for no reason, but time will tell! Same with side panel.

Vibration pump dual boiler apparently.

Marcus
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post
    Looks weird to me too, seems something different for no reason, but time will tell! Same with side panel.

Vibration pump dual boiler apparently.
    Wow really? Unusual.
    The side panel looks at least nice. The wands are just.. weird.

Site Sponsor
    Dimal likes this.

Site Sponsor
    And the new 54mm flat burr, stepped grinder:

new profitec grinder 54mm.png new profitec grinder removable chute.png

charlie

Marcus
    So the Pro 600 is like the big brother of Pro 300, with larger boilers and an E61 brew group, making it look immensely better! Basically a merge between the Pro 300 and 500
    Question is what the price will be though. Pro 300 is currently cheaper than the Pro 500, despite being a double boiler. I'm thinking this will probably be slightly more expensive than the Pro 500.

Last edited by sacsnob; 23rd October 2017 at 08:33 AM.
    Dimal and 338 like this.

Crikey. Truly architectural hand built machines. Interesting stuff.

The Porto Via by Rocket is pretty interesting, a portable machine. The size of it is still more likely to be used by someone with a 4wd for the holiday house (or maybe by boat) rather than air travel.

Wow. Thanks everyone for your responses. Was an interesting read!

I finally saw the Profitec in person although only on display, wasn't turned on for demonstration.

However it was positioned next to a Pro 700 and upgraditis kicked in hahaha.

I think the Pro 700 is probably a little overkill but thought I would ask the question here...

If you had around $4k to spend on a machine and you currently had a doserless Rocky, would you get the Pro 500 with a Pro T64 grinder or just get the Pro 700 and stick with the Rocky grinder until it blows up!

Any and all recommendations for other grinders to look at etc would be appreciated also.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by WACoffee View Post
    Wow. Thanks everyone for your responses. Was an interesting read!

I finally saw the Profitec in person although only on display, wasn't turned on for demonstration.

However it was positioned next to a Pro 700 and upgraditis kicked in hahaha.

I think the Pro 700 is probably a little overkill but thought I would ask the question here...

If you had around $4k to spend on a machine and you currently had a doserless Rocky, would you get the Pro 500 with a Pro T64 grinder or just get the Pro 700 and stick with the Rocky grinder until it blows up!

Any and all recommendations for other grinders to look at etc would be appreciated also.

Thanks again.
    You’ll benefit from a grinder upgrade. Think as the machine the accessory to the grinder, not the other way around.

I own a pro 700 and used to have a T64, and excellent combo. I only sold the t64 on as it was overkill for me being the only coffee drinker in the house, so opted for a high end manual grinder instead. (Kinu M68)

Quote Originally Posted by WACoffee View Post

Thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by MediumRoastSteam View Post
    You’ll benefit from a grinder upgrade. Think as the machine the accessory to the grinder, not the other way around.
    +1 to this.
    Honestly I'd probably go the Pro 500 and new grinder. The Pro 500 is an EXCELLENT machine, loving mine, and a new topnotch grinder to go with that would be an unreal combo.. that being said if you're completely happy with the Rocky and like what the 700 does it's up to you, I don't know enough about the 700. It's gotta suit you and what you want from a machine and grinder (I'm not knowledgeable enough about all the different grinders. But I did upgrade from a Rocky doser grinder to a Compak K3 Touch Advanced which I'm loving)

Just bought an ECM Mechanika IV from a local (Perth) supplier who does warranty/service work as well. Just a couple of flat whites so far. Easy transition from my 6 year old BES900 which needs a serious service. Probably did 6-7000 coffees with that one. New machine has lever hot water and steam despite the showroom model having taps(?). Easy to foam milk. Quality seams great. I'll need a tamping station and knock box both of which I didn't need with the Breville. Much to my surprise my wife commented that it didn't look too big in the kitchen. For now I'll stay with the Breville grinder.

Excellent choice, its a great machine!

I love my ECM Mechanika IV it sits beautiful in the kitchen so much easier to use than my old Ranchilo Silvia PID, mine is getting on a year old now, there are a lot of choices around I think it depends mainly on looks and size between ECM and Profitec and others that look pretty similar.
    What got me in was the workmanship of ECM with the mushroom head and the metal chrome on the end of the group handles classy.
    Brewster likes this.

Looks like WACoffee has still not made a decision. I suspect any of the ones you are looking at will give you a good coffee once you get the hang of its eccentricities.

I went through the same sort of decision-making ECM/Profitec/Rocket. In the end I went with the ECM Technika Profi (levers on steam and hot water) with the rotary pump.

Because they all looked like competent machines, the decision came down to the care in which the ECM seemed to have all the internals laid out and a couple of semi-cosmetic decisions, such as looks and I could get to the water tank without taking all the cups off the top. I also liked the gauges being up the top, where I could more easily see them. That turned out to be not all that important because the boiler pressure is very stable and with the rotary pump it will hit the target no matter what.

I had come from a Sunbeam 6910 where the pressure will vary a lot depending on grind/dose/tamp... so pressure was important.

With the ECM rotary you will get about 9 bar every time, but you will get your coffee in a different time.... 16 seconds if too coarse, too small a dose or not tamped..... or well over 30 if too fine etc.

I thought the 6910 gave me a pretty good coffee, but the ECM gives me a coffee better than I will get in almost every coffee shop.

Agree with the comments about the grinder - one that will give you a consistent non-clumpy grind helps you repeat a good coffee, because your beans dry out and you will need to keep adjusting the grind.

Good luck
    JoeB likes this.

Top machines. Flip a coin maybe. I went for the Pro 500 after lots of research but the ECMs where a close 2nd
    Brewster likes this.

WACoffee - I too am in WA and think I have almost decided to buy the Profitec Pro 700- but I just have to bite the bullet and actually do it. Are you leaning towards one of the machines?

Marcus
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBlack_Espresso View Post
    This is such a weird machine. It's almost the same price as the Pro 700, only slightly cheaper. However it's lacking rotary pump which the Pro 700 has. Does it also lack plumbing option?
    It's just very weirdly priced. It should only be slightly more expensive than the Pro 300 since it's basically a 300 + E61 and a bit larger boilers. Instead they price it as a slightly cheaper Pro 700. So weird.

Same with the ECM Mechanika V Slim. It's priced the same price as the full version of Mechanika IV (that has rotary pump). The segment they're trying to go after is the Rocket Appartamento users, or rather it should be, and seeing as it is a bit more luxurious, could be slightly more expensive than the Appartamento but not THAT much.

I love all of their machines but I feel like they really failed with these ones, price-wise.
    JoeB, Dazzy and u2jewel like this.

Site Sponsor
    Note that current "best guess" RRP pricing for the Pro 600 is just that. Actual street price after it lands is what will matter.

charlie

Marcus
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBlack_Espresso View Post
    Note that current "best guess" RRP pricing for the Pro 600 is just that. Actual street price after it lands is what will matter.

charlie
    Charlie,

This wasn't "best guess", this was information straight from ECM & Profitec that I got after talking to Michael Hauck.
    But indeed you are correct that it was the RRP he gave me.

However, I really don't think the retailers will put it that much lower than the RRP...

Quote Originally Posted by bb2wa View Post
    Just bought an ECM Mechanika IV from a local (Perth) supplier who does warranty/service work as well. Just a couple of flat whites so far. Easy transition from my 6 year old BES900 which needs a serious service. Probably did 6-7000 coffees with that one. New machine has lever hot water and steam despite the showroom model having taps(?). Easy to foam milk. Quality seams great. I'll need a tamping station and knock box both of which I didn't need with the Breville. Much to my surprise my wife commented that it didn't look too big in the kitchen. For now I'll stay with the Breville grinder.
    An update. The boiler pressure dropped to 0.7 (cf 1.4). Milk steaming not as good as previously. So returned the machine for a warranty service. A few hours later i had it back and pressure back to normal. So I am glad I bought locally and it could be serviced so quickly. Fault was a blockage. How it originated I don't think anyone knows. I use filtered water. Could it have been a particle left over from the manufacturing process??? I'm happy.

I serviced my Bezzera BZ-40P myself for 12 years. I agree though having someone local to service it is nice to have.

My Wega Mini Nova Classic had a blocked vacuum valve which got fixed under warranty by Leaf Bean Machine in Bibra Lake.

Things do happen and sometimes a regular service is a good idea too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12