• 1 Post By Moph
  • 2 Post By Moph
  • 1 Post By Dazzy
  • 1 Post By level3ninja
  • 2 Post By Moph

Thread: Lelit Diana PL60T V2 or ...?

Lelit Diana PL60T V2 or ...?

Hi all

Long time lurker despite the recent join date. Currently have a Sunbeam EM6910 w/ Breville Smart Grinder that have been doing faithful duty for the last 5 years doing ~1kg/fortnight. The 6910 has died yet again and I can't face pulling it down and spending more time and money on it, so it's time for a new machine.

I'm liking the look of the Diana PL60T V2 at the moment ... dual boiler, brew temp PID, very quick 3 minute startup and 58mm portafilter (will hopefully fit my existing 58mm VST baskets and Pullman tamper). Dimensions are a good fit for our benchspace and it gets good reviews. Looks are on the tame side but tidy. Awesome fit overall.

But.

Am I missing something? Are there other machines in this price bracket (~$2k) that would suit me better?

Our everyday use is pulling double shots for lattes using a 20g VST basket. I split the double shot between glasses and steam ~300mL milk to do the two. My wife and I have three lattes each most days, sometimes four. The 6910 is okay for that but when we entertain and I have 8+ coffees to prep, I could really do with something that flows a lot more steam.

I've been fairly happy with the Breville Smart Grinder to date (shimmed to grind finer than factory) but could be tempted to upgrade my grinder too if it's likely to result in a noticeable improvement in taste or crema. We never drink espresso so not the fussiest drinkers.

Please, help me spend my hard-earned dosh

My suggestion would be to shoot an email to CS sponsors who might have a good deal for you. Lots of options in your price range, assuming it doesn’t include the grinder.

From what I remember, the most highly recommended one in the sub 2.5k is the VBM Domobar Junior but I could be wrong. Bear in mind that these machines aren’t really ready in the “3 minute startup” time you have quoted. I dare say the startup time will be a huge difference considering your okd machine is a dual thermoblock. As they say all the time here though, put it on a timer and away you go.

Good luck.

Rather than emailing all the sponsors individually take a gander at the bottom of any page where you'll find: Email all the CoffeeSnobs Site Sponsors at once using the QUOTE FORM

Java "Technology to the rescue!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Cheers, have sent a request using the quote form =)

So far as start-up time goes, I guess I'm flexible. It'll just be an adjustment from the switch-it-on-and-make-coffees-five-minutes-later routine that the 6910 has allowed =P

Have a spare electronic timer here anyway so no issues pre-setting the morning and arvo warm-ups so long as the machine supports external switching (unlike the 6910 that defaults to off if the power is cut).

Only thing I would add is that you will probably want to upgrade the grinder at some point. Not to say the smart grinder doesn't punch above it's weight, you will certainly notice a difference.

I think grinders (perhaps more than espresso machines) will last ages and make great second hand purchases. maybe look out for something second hand even around here.

So... did too much reading, spoke to the Minister of Finance and have a revised budget - $5k for machine and grinder. Decided the cheaper European machines didn't tick all my boxes so gave wifey the choice of either replacing the EM6910 with an EM7000 or going all out. Caught her on a good morning, obviously =D

Will spend more time snooping around in the Extreme Machines forum, but I'm currently liking the look of the Profitec Pro 700. Will see if I can find one locally in Perth to have a play.
    Dimal and Casa Espresso like this.

With that budget you have a huge choice and can't go wrong really. No matter what you get will be capable of ripper brews with the right ingredients and technique.

Best to have a play with as many as you can as it this level it's the small details that will grab you and make the machine "yours".

Dimattina in Osborne Park were finalising a big showroom, haven't seen it but worth a visit.

Come along to the snobs catch-up this Saturday morning.

Cheers

Just ordered a Profitec Pro 700, Pro T64 grinder and Rocket knock box from Jetblack Espresso =)

Sick with the flu at present so not really up for visiting showrooms. All the research I've done points at that machine + grinder combination being right for us though, so I'm quietly confident that I'll be splendiferously happy with them. Under time pressure too as our existing machine is dead and caffeine withdrawal is setting in =P

That'll be a great setup "Moph"...

Lots of coffee nirvana ahead of you.
    Have you also sorted your water filtering for the beaut new system?

Mal.

Yeah, we've run a triple cartridge for a few years now - 1 micron polyspun sediment filter first stage, 0.5 micron Doulton ultracarb second stage and 5 micron coconut husk carbon third stage. I don't have a great deal of knowledge about water purification but presume that should do the trick even with Perth's nasty water.

I'll pick up some pH strips too just to satisfy my own curiosity. I assume a pH of 7-8 is preferred?
    Last edited by Moph; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:46 PM. Reason: Tidied up text after link removal - thanks Javaphile =)

You will also need to include an anti-scale element in your system too mate.
    Especially in Perth which is known to have particularly hard water.

Perhaps if you you contact JetBlack Espresso, they could include something suitable with your new coffee system.

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    You will also need to include an anti-scale element in your system too mate.
    Especially in Perth which is known to have particularly hard water.
    Ah, thanks for the heads up - I thought the triple system would have been adequate for anti-scale as well =)

Looks like I can get an Omnipure K2386-JJ inline phosphate water filter with John Guest ends and just hook that up after the existing triple filter. Otherwise it might be possible to replace one of the existing filters with a drop-in anti scale filter; I'll ask the question of the supplier.

Cheers again.
    Dimal likes this.

The water filter supplier has advised that I could either:

1) replace the existing third stage (5 micron coconut husk) with an Omnipure OMB-934-10P carbon block scale inhibitor; or
    2) install a separate fourth stage using an Omnipure SCL-10 carbon polyphosphate scale inhibitor.

From what I've read, polyphosphate provides the primary anti-scale mechanism so I'm not sure that the OMB-934-10P would be a satisfactory solution by itself, and going down that route means removing one of the existing filtration steps. I have plenty of room under the sink so I'll add the SCL-10 as a fourth stage instead.

The K2386-JJ that I mentioned above is similar to the SCL-10 but quite a bit smaller, so not worth considering given I have the room for the larger cartridge.
    Dimal likes this.

Couple of quick photos on wifey's iPhone. Still have to tidy everything up particularly the power strip (need to see if I can install a quad wall outlet) but it's up and running

Have the grinder roughly dialed in but will need some further experimentation there too. Loving the quietness and speed compared to the EM6910! Will be looking into barista courses too ... I'm sure I have plenty of baked-in bad habits since I did the Sunbeam one back in 2012.

Old setup...

New setup...

Last edited by Moph; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:12 PM. Reason: Edited to put pics in-line rather than attachments
    Dimal and JetBlack_Espresso like this.

Looks fantastic, congrats
    Moph likes this.

Looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by Moph View Post
    Still have to tidy everything up particularly the power strip (need to see if I can install a quad wall outlet)
    A Clipsal C2015D4 quad outlet should mount exactly the same way (to the same bracket, same centre position) as the single you have existing, it's 196mm wide so check it will fit on that section of wall, if so it'll be an easy direct swap out for any licenced electrician. They are pricey though.
    Moph likes this.

Cheers ... under $40 so not too bad. I have an electrical contractor in the family so I'll pick one up and trade him coffee and cake to fit it

Struggling with the WeMo at the moment. Have set the location to Perth in the WeMo app and power cycled the device but it's still showing the time as AWST + 2hrs. Means none of the in-app data records properly (as that's calculated using the phone time, which is correct) and scheduling isn't going to work properly. Not quite sure what to do other than a full reset and go-round at this point =/

They've halved in price since I last looked, much more reasonable now!

TH test strips arrived today - our unfiltered tap water is ~80ppm and the filtered water is ~20ppm interpolating between the test colours. Haven't fitted the carbon phosphate scale remover yet but looking promising already. Should be very soft once I install the scale remover as well.

Interestingly the next suburb across from me has some of the worst water in Perth - bad enough that our HWS manufacturer (stainless steel tank) won't warranty any heaters installed in that postcode. Must be on a different branch of the main.
    Dimal and level3ninja like this.