Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By flynnaus
  • 1 Post By Totti

Thread: Rocket Double Basket size. 18g, or 22g?

Rocket Double Basket size. 18g, or 22g?

Hi guys,

Looking at some help. I've heard everyone bandy the terms 17,18g for a double (or there about). But 18 for me barely reaches the first line of the portafilter. With 22 looking like it encompasses the second ring fairly nicely. BUT, 22g seems very extreme dont you think?

I've attached photos of empty portafilter, portafilter with 17g in it (barely reaches the first line). Basically, i'm trying to pull better shots. I can get either volume dosing correctly, but the coffee tasting is underwhelming, and when i make cappuccino in morning using only around 40-50ml of milk the coffee is entirely diluted and ashy.

Brewing on a brand new Appartamento.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/nxrpldrno1...20PM.jpeg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m6gf857lyi...20PM.jpeg?dl=0

Senior Member Barry O'Speedwagon's Avatar
    Forget where the coffee comes up to relative to the rings on the basket for the time being. It is the level of coffee relative to the shower screen when you lock the portafilter in that is most useful to know, and this varies by machine and shower screen. 22g might well be fine. Try searching for the '5 cent test' on this site (or via Google) and you'll find a pretty fair means of estimating the clearance between the puck and the shower screen.

The correct quantity is the dose that provides a good shot on your equipment. On my Giotto Premium Plus, I once measured it as 19.5 grams. These days, I dont bother with weighing my basket. I just dose by eye and only flub the occasional shot.
    Casa Espresso and Yelta like this.

Found the best result with 20g on my double. But very bean dependant, sometimes 18g is fine.

G'day! Yeah what these guys said, it's all relative, and there are lots of factors involved in how the volume/weight in the basket can differ (roast depth, shower screen/group height etc).

22g is definitely not extreme, if 22g is a good height for your basket and your machine and your beans, perfect! The numbers are always arbitrary and relative. And yeah the 5 cent test will help establish that. As long as the tamped coffee doesn't scrape along the shower screen when you insert it that's great. And obviously you don't really want too low a dose, it's up for you to experiment and find the sweet spot.

Dose should initially only really affect the final output weight (so a higher dose can allow you get more espresso out basically), which would actually help with your diluted milk drink problem anyways. As for the ashiness, you may be pulling the shot for too long and overextracting it (thus getting burnt flavours), not to mention diluting the coffee heavily.

Let us know how you go, and have fun

Thanks for the advice guys. Ran one test before I ran out of coffee. 20g didn't leave an imprint!!

Will try 21 tonight.
    simonsk8r likes this.

Rbn
    Haha, well all these guys said I guess.

The more I learn the less I know, but as long as it tastes good, then all is well.
    I have the 7/15gm VST baskets, and have just bought the 7/15/22gm Decent Espresso baskets, and their sprung tamper, and a set of simple scales.
    All in the name of more experimentation.

And I think that it is, "experimentation" until you find what suits you and those who drink your "shots".
    None of which is to attempt in anyway to counter what is said above.

Making coffee is at least as challenging as learning about wine,
    and getting your set up right is a bit like setting up a racing car, so many variables, change one thing at a time, or your will get totally confused.

I speak of racing cars from personal experience, of wine, only as a taster/drinker!
    Last edited by rawill; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:04 AM.

Well, 22g embedded. Then 21g embedded! 20g sat pretty much perfect, so going to roll with that (Despite swearing that 20g didn't touch earlier today). I changed beans in-between (Axil to St Ali) but who knows. Now I have my starting point, going to play with the grind from there!

Thanks all Will report back

Ah great to hear, yeah stick with that dose for the time being and focus on grind size, but best not to try changing grind for every single shot, but try to get a few consistent shots on the one grind setting to make sure the new grind has set in. Then make gradual changes (so you're not chasing your tail and changing the grind too quickly and getting crazy results).

Good stuff