Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By artman

Thread: Buying Refurbised Machine? Where?

Buying Refurbised Machine? Where?

I'm saving a little money now to buy a new machine (this will be my first one). I've been using a single boiler machine in the office and would like to buy a double boiler + grinder at home. I have 3 questions running through my head:
    1. Is it a good idea to buy a refurbised machine? This is so that to get more value out of my hard earned dollars.
    2. Would you guys recommend the best place to buy a refurb machine?
    3. Which refurb double boiler would you recommend?

EDIT: my current location is Darwin, NT. I prepare a supplier refurbised machine and my budget is AUD2k or less since I initially plan to buy Breville Oracle so I have the money ready for purchase.
    Last edited by sageybadegey; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:19 PM. Reason: adding further info

location, location, location???

Rbn
    Budget, budget, budget

Do you want something from a supplier or a second hand? Later will generally be cheaper but the former will have more support.

Quote Originally Posted by TampIt View Post
    location, location, location???
    I'm in Darwin NT. So it should be a vendor that can deliver here in Darwin.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatEverBeansNecessary View Post
    Do you want something from a supplier or a second hand? Later will generally be cheaper but the former will have more support.
    Support is important to me especially I live so far away (Darwin NT). I prepare something from a supplier, not second hand.

Quote Originally Posted by rawill View Post
    Budget, budget, budget
    Budget is $2k

Hmmm...

Gonna be very tight around that budget I think.
    You could probably get a traded-in (basic) Dual Boiler machine in good nick with say a three month warranty for that but not including a grinder. A grinder would be at least another $400-600.00 on top of that.

Why do you particularly want a Dual Boiler machine? Decent quality HX machines are more readily acquired, cheaper and may be obtainable with a grinder within the confines of your budget.

Mal.

I second mal's response, a good HX machine will go well, and in the NT, any commercial service center should be able to fix it. Or you can follow the many of us who have HX machines and used this forum to buy and repair our machines.

I stated with a Rancilio Silvia, and now own a rather Pimped ECM Giotto.

I also wouldn't be averse to buying a well looked after second hand unit from a fellow snob, will increase your bang for buck.

Dual boiler will let you play with brew temps if thats your thing and some (most?) allow you to turn off steam boiler if you are only doing blacks. Otherwise a decent HX will be more than ample.

Pretty sure Bezzera sell refurbed machines, they are in Brisbane from memory.

Cheers
    Dimal likes this.

Now I have to decide whether to buy those Lelit machines + grinders and accessories or save a little more to get a good HX or dual boiler machine, though saving for it will take several months.

There is always the option of a second hand HX. I'm in Perth, and got mine from a fellow CSer in Melbourne. Shipping across the country was around $50ish. I used an online freight broker called Temando to book the shipping via a reputable carrier.

I was lucky, the guy I bought mine from had looked after it well. it was around the $1500 mark, so left room in the budget for a grinder as well.
    Not saying you have to go second-hand, but it can be well worth it.

Most of the HX machines use readily available commercial parts, you can get locally or shipped in from site sponsor coffeeparts.