Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Dimal
  • 1 Post By Stu76
  • 2 Post By Martino
  • 1 Post By trickydicky2

Thread: $3k spend - Rocket R58 or ECM Technika? What else... ?

$3k spend - Rocket R58 or ECM Technika? What else... ?

Hi Guys,

I've been tasked with finding a coffee machine for our new office at work - we're a small company with roughly 10 coffee drinkers (2-3 cups each per day).

I have a $3k budget and looking for something quiet (rotary) as we will have an open plan kitchen with not a huge amount of space for a commercial sized machine. Looking for something serviceable locally in Perth, have found the ECM Technika and Rocket R58 so far fit the criteria.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or feedback on these specific machines?

TIA!
    Scott

G'day...

Does your budget include an allowance for a decent grinder?

Mal.

Isn't the R58 closer to $4K?

Decent grinder will be coming, perhaps a Quamar Q50. Yes, the R58 is around $3.8 so it may be just that little too much...

Hi there
    Take a look at the Profitec pro 500 and the ECM mechanica and also remember a grinder as others have said above.

From my experience, spend a bit more on a grinder, like a Mazzer Mini or Macap M4D, and go the Pro 500 or maybe a Technika might just squeeze in under $4K. A regular CS contributor got a rotary Wega here in Perth for about $2,500 from memory. Donít forget you will need a water filtration system to protect your machine, as they can be a few hundred $$$.
    level3ninja likes this.

Yes. I bought my Wega Nova Classic for about that from Leaf Bean Machine in Bibra Lake. It is a great machine and no complaints, solid good performing E61 and a rotary pump.

Quote Originally Posted by swhyatt View Post
    Hi Guys,

I've been tasked with finding a coffee machine for our new office at work - we're a small company with roughly 10 coffee drinkers (2-3 cups each per day).

I have a $3k budget and looking for something quiet (rotary) as we will have an open plan kitchen with not a huge amount of space for a commercial sized machine. Looking for something serviceable locally in Perth, have found the ECM Technika and Rocket R58 so far fit the criteria.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or feedback on these specific machines?

TIA!
    Scott
    Scott,
    I'm also in the market for a new machine and have put together a small spreadsheet that might help as you compare features. Its a work in process so the yellow fields are yet unknown. Prices are US Dollars and dimensions are in inches. Other than that, it should be self explanatory. Not sure how well its going to show up so if you'd like the actual file, PM me and I'll get it to you, or anyone else who might want it. One of the other sheets in the workbook (excel) contains a similar study on grinders. However, let me just come right out and say that if you want a grinder for an office environment, go get the ultra quiet Eureka Atom and be done with it.

Since you are looking for a machine for the office, the ECM Electronika II Profi would make a nice one as its a quiet rotary pump, heat exchanger Volumetric machine, meaning you can program the volume of a few different extractions (single, double, etc) which should make it easy for those non Barista's in the office to get a good coffee time after time. All they would have to do is grind, tamp and press the button of their choice and viola!

Ok, here's the spreadsheet pic, hope it turns out readable. The gray horizontal line separates all the ones I've looked at from those I'm considering, whice are the three at the top of the list (personal taste). I don't know where you're located so have left the off some of the data that is US based only in an effort to get the pic uploaded (price, warranty, supplier, etc.)

Espresso Machine Spreadsheet.jpg
    Dimal and Tanax like this.

Marcus
    Quote Originally Posted by Martino View Post
    Scott,
    I'm also in the market for a new machine and have put together a small spreadsheet that might help as you compare features. Its a work in process so the yellow fields are yet unknown. Prices are US Dollars and dimensions are in inches. Other than that, it should be self explanatory. Not sure how well its going to show up so if you'd like the actual file, PM me and I'll get it to you, or anyone else who might want it. One of the other sheets in the workbook (excel) contains a similar study on grinders. However, let me just come right out and say that if you want a grinder for an office environment, go get the ultra quiet Eureka Atom and be done with it.

Since you are looking for a machine for the office, the ECM Electronika II Profi would make a nice one as its a quiet rotary pump, heat exchanger Volumetric machine, meaning you can program the volume of a few different extractions (single, double, etc) which should make it easy for those non Barista's in the office to get a good coffee time after time. All they would have to do is grind, tamp and press the button of their choice and viola!

Ok, here's the spreadsheet pic, hope it turns out readable. The gray horizontal line separates all the ones I've looked at from those I'm considering, whice are the three at the top of the list (personal taste). I don't know where you're located so have left the off some of the data that is US based only in an effort to get the pic uploaded (price, warranty, supplier, etc.)

Espresso Machine Spreadsheet.jpg

Another spreadsheet! I have one as well https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing.
    Yours definitely has more machines.

Scott, perhaps you can use both of our spreadsheets to get a better overview of the technical aspects of these machines.

Hi there

I have the ECM technika rotary paired with the quamar q50. A great little combo actually.

Agree that you'd appreciate spending more on the grinder after a while but I am more than happy with how they two are performing together.

Only mods I've made are upgrading the shower screen and baskets, but the kit works beautifully straight out of the box once dialled in and calibrated.

Good luck
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by tammma View Post
    Hi there

I have the ECM technika rotary paired with the quamar q50. A great little combo actually.
    I used that combo at work for 4 years and loved it

Bought the RCM Technika Profi Rotary for home a year ago and paired it with the ECM electronic grinder. Same power and performance as the Quamar but without the large heavy duty metal body needed for a commercial environment. Happy with the choice as it fits better on my kitchen worktop and is easier to shift around when cleaning up. Also like the grinder adjustment mechanism better. Stepless design. So easy to fine tune

I really like the engineering on ECM gear. Solid and precise, if not as glam as the rocket design

Rich
    Stu76 likes this.