Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By level3ninja
  • 1 Post By flynnaus
  • 3 Post By JetBlack_Espresso
  • 1 Post By flynnaus
  • 1 Post By JMcCee

Thread: Researching New Machine

Researching New Machine

So it's finally time to upgrade (YAY) from my Gaggia Classic to something with a little more grunt. I am based in Brisbane and there isn't alot of choice from stockists here so I'm going to have to buy based on reviews and specs etc. At the moment I'm looking for recommendations and feedback. I'd also be interested in thoughts on purchasing in the USA (I'm headed there next month) and bringing a machine back to save a bit of $$?

Details:
    - I'm an ex-barista and am very comfortable and familiar with commercial machines but my husband (who is not a barista) also will be using it so I'm not interested in something too finicky - Rancillio Silva seems to have some temperamental issues from what I've read and heard??

- My budget is $2000 max and I won't need a grinder as I already have one.

- I usually make 2 coffees at a time (we both work from home) several times a day (3... 4... who's counting?) and frequently I find that I'm making anywhere from 4-10 coffees in a session. 90% of the time we make milk based coffees (we personally drink piccolos and occasionally a flat white)

- I've got a fair amount of bench space to play with so size isn't super important but I don't need a commercial sized monstrosity.

- Being able to plumb the machine in would be a nice bonus but definitely not a necessity

I like the look of the Lelit machines and the Rockets look nice too but I suspect they are out of my price range. My local coffee store sells a few models of ECMs and I drool over them every time I buy beans but again probably out of my range by the looks of it.

The majority of American machines will be 110V, so you'll need to spend at least a couple of hundred on a transformer that can handle 15A@110V. Unless you want to buy something made in the US (Synesso MVP Hydra $$$$) i think the savings will be minimal by the time you get it here and working on 240V.

Also what grinder do you currently have?
    Dimal and tashie like this.

what are you doing if something is going wrong with the machine? do you want to send it back to te states? i would not do that.
    Last edited by Andy; 1 Week Ago at 09:39 AM. Reason: commercial link removed.

I've moved between countries with 240V and 110V and read a lot about the issues on these forums. Transformers that can handle 2000 watts of power aren't cheap, but furthermore the consensus is that US 110V machines have weaker specs than 240V. If you really want to save a little money and are willing to do it, you can buy here and claim back GST if you take the machine overseas with you. Doesn't apply to second hand goods of course, and that might be a better option.

Don't buy in the US. Apart from the difficulty with different voltages and managing potential warranty claims or repairs, you will also have to pay customs duty on a purchase greater than AU $1000.
    Your coffee making requirements suggest you will need something with a bit more capacity than a single boiler machine like the Silvia. If you can't increase your budget, consider second hand. What grinder do you have?
    Dimal likes this.

Thanks guys, I will skip the idea of buying in the states...

I have an Ascaso I-Steel grinder. I'm open to a second hand machine and did have a look through the sales section of this forum but didn't see anything today... I'll definitely keep an eye out though.

Site Sponsor
    We are just about to add a couple of dozen second hand machines to our inventory so keep an eye here too:

https://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/...ffee-machines/

But for 2K you could definitely go new and still meet your requirements:

https://www.jetblackespresso.com.au/...f=prcn&dfv=502

charlie
    Dimal, flynnaus and JMcCee like this.

Gee, that BZ-99 is a terrific deal Charlie...

Mal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimal View Post
    Gee, that BZ-99 is a terrific deal Charlie... Mal.
    Agreed and includes the option to be plumbed in.
    Dimal likes this.

Charlie has some great deals there, especially the BZ99 @ $1648. I had one of those marvellous machines and highly recommend it. I still can't believe the price!
    Dimal likes this.

There is some great machines available on the hardware for sale section now.