Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By CafeLotta
  • 1 Post By EspressoAdventurer
  • 1 Post By CafeLotta

Thread: Cutaway E61 video - shows internals

Cutaway E61 video - shows internals

You may have seen this or something similar before but for those who haven't..............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jn28YTS3OQ

E61 cutaway video explaining how it works.

Helps to understand why daily backflushing with plain water is important.
    Last edited by CafeLotta; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:09 AM. Reason: Spelling!
    Dimal, steve7, Alain and 1 others like this.

Also why 'Overdosing' or Overpacking of the filter basket is not part of a good barista's skillset !
    Dimal likes this.

A useful step by step article on Vibiemme E61 group overhaul in addition to the original E61 cutaway video above, for those who may be interested -

"FRCN Espresso HOW TO Pages" E-61 Overhaul and Lubrication (link shared from Espresso! My Espresso! An Ongoing Internet Novelette).

Also one on just lubricating Vibiemme E61 "FRCN Espresso HOW TO Pages" E-61 Simple Lubrication.
    Dimal likes this.

That has been very useful and informative.... and looks to explain my problem with my ECM Technika:
    ECM Technika - brew lever sticky when hot

You can see when he operates the lever, the valves wobble about a bit - I know that cutaway causes some of that, but not all. If the valve tilts the wrong way it causes more horizontal resistance to the cam. I can also see there is quite a bevel on the point of contact between the valves and the cam.

I suspect my machine does not have sufficient bevel to counteract the tilt of the valve. This is supported by the slight filing I did to increase the bevel - that reduced the force required to actuate the lever. I think I will put a little more bevel on that pin to see if that reduces it further.

@Cafelotta - many thanks - and to Seattle Coffee - wish they were in Oz and a sponsor.

Hi steve7,

The main reason for the "wobble" in the video is that the cutaway has left the valves without full 360 degree coverage of the valve guides.

Have you tried using Molykote 111 as a lube on the cam & valve ends? It seems to be the lube recommended by quite a few people including service people.

My used Vibiemme was very sticky and felt horrible on the downward (discharge) stroke. This was due to the valve ends having worn through the chrome at the contact point with the cam. The previous owner had been diligent as far as descaling and backflushing with cleaner but not so much with lube. Re-applying lube after descaling is advised and if back-flushing with cleaner weekly, then as needed.

After applying Molykote 111 the improvement was quite surprising . Its very thick and tacky and not easily washed off.

For now, the urgency of replacing the cam shaft has lessened due to this lube.
    Last edited by CafeLotta; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:05 PM.

I use the Inox product which seems to work okay.

The interesting thing for me is if I operate the lever when the machine is cold, it is quite smooth... just sticks when it's hot. Also, once I have actuated the lever, for the next 10 seconds or so there is no issues - so after the cooling flush the lever moves smoothly. Come back a minute later, it hits resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by steve7 View Post
    I use the Inox product which seems to work okay.
    The Molykote 111 seems to be the right product for the job and is widely recommended. It far surpassed the other food grade silicon lube I tried, Marlin-9 H1 Food grade which sounds very similar to Inox MX6 Food Grade. It was chalk and cheese.

Which ever lube you use be sure that the surfaces are dry when you apply it.

"FRCN Espresso HOW TO Pages" E-61 Simple Lubrication